Shoutbox

19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM (/showthread.php?tid=47232)

19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by M73A on 07-05-2005 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sky News
GERMAN TEEN ADMITS CREATING SASSER VIRUS

A 19-year-old has confessed to writing the Sasser computer worm which wreaked havoc across the world last year.

Sven Jaschan admitted to data manipulation, computer sabotage and interfering with public corporations at his trial in Berlin.

It was one of the biggest Internet attacks of its kind.

After emerging around May last year, versions of the Sasser worm went on to knock out an estimated one million computer systems.

It spread on the ubiquitous Microsoft Windows operating system.

Some security firms called it the most destructive worm ever.

The trial is closed to the public as Jaschan was still a minor when some of the offences took place.

But judge Katharina Kruetzfeldt said Jaschan had confessed.

He could face a maximum sentence of five years in prison as well as having to pay compensation to his victims.

Described by authorities as a "computer freak", he was identified after Microsoft offered a reward of £125,000 for information leading to his arrest.

A verdict is expected on Thursday.

19 *-)..... wish i could be that good at computing... but put it to a more constructive use... lol
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Reaper on 07-05-2005 at 09:03 PM

wow :O
what are the germans upto?! they are planning our doom. RUN AWAY :O

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by pollolibredegrasa on 07-05-2005 at 09:03 PM

Heh, got what was coming to him.

Hear about the one who made a virus that printed off his CV and then threatened to write more viruses if he didnt get a job?

What is the world coming to :rolleyes:

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by .blade// on 07-05-2005 at 09:04 PM

How much you wanna bet Microsoft is gonna pay him several hundred thousand a year and bail him out of jail to work for microsoft on security :P

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Zephyr on 07-05-2005 at 10:35 PM

OMG I hate that guy. :@ I got my new pc around april last year and we had been connected to the internet for about a fortnight, when my computer got infected with the sasser worm. Me and my dad spent ages trying to get rid of it but it kept crashing.

We finally got it fixed by changing some internet connections or something, but it wasted so much of my time.

Anyway, I'm glad he admitted to it and i hope he get what he deserves.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Maniac on 07-05-2005 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
quote:
Originally posted by .blade//
How much you wanna bet Microsoft is gonna pay him several hundred thousand a year and bail him out of jail to work for microsoft on security :P

:rofl::rofl:

well maybe not but a lot of viruse creators become security people... just like hackers end up working in firewalls or something :p
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Zephyr on 07-05-2005 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-07/06/content_3180024.htm
Sven Jaschan, 19, admitted his guilt on the first day of his trial in the northwest German town with the expression of "deep remorse" for what he has done and hope for making contribution to anti-virus in computer industry, German News Agency DPA reported.

He probably could be rather useful in that area.

I doubt that's really going to make a difference for the people who were infected.
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Purity on 07-05-2005 at 11:22 PM

I wanna make a worm. (A)

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by L. Coyote on 07-06-2005 at 12:30 AM

What was that worm? The one that restarted the system when you connected to the Internet (because of a bug or something in it)?

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by ShawnZ on 07-06-2005 at 03:49 AM

no thats msblaser leo :)

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
19 ..... wish i could be that good at computing... but put it to a more constructive use... lol

your making it out like its hard for young people to learn to program... languages are easy as shite to learn imo, since there all based on each other somewhere
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by segosa on 07-06-2005 at 09:29 AM

Finding the exploit in lsass.exe (listens on port 445, Windows File and Printer sharing server) is the hard bit. Since every XP (2000 too possibly) machine out there listens on that port, it meant that some 200 million computers were vulnerable.

Writing the virus that exploited it, etc, wasn't the hard bit.

And I believe your computer restarted sometimes because the buffer overflow occasionally crashed lsass.exe.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by L. Coyote on 07-06-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
no thats msblaser leo :)
Oh, then I never got it. :banana:
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by absorbation on 07-06-2005 at 05:16 PM

the sasser worm effects new computers :P there was a test a normal xp pc was set it with no firewall or any protection and connected to the internet :P after 7 minutes it was infected with the sasser worm :O

Sasser is very well known and scans come in with every windows update. Can someone tell me the damage it does?

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by saralk on 07-06-2005 at 05:40 PM

iirc another virus writer got offered a job at Ksapery Anti-Virus for when he leaves prison.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Zephyr on 07-06-2005 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
the sasser worm effects new computers there was a test a normal xp pc was set it with no firewall or any protection and connected to the internet after 7 minutes it was infected with the sasser worm

Thats what happened to me. I didn't have a firewall and had just set up my internet on my new Windows XP, and i got infected. I installed Kaspersky a day after i got connected, which was kind of stupid, but i didn't expect to be infected that quickly just from being on the internet.

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
And I believe your computer restarted sometimes because the buffer overflow occasionally crashed lsass.exe.

Yeah, it did. It came up with an error window saying the computer will restart in 60 seconds, then it counted down. Damn annoying it was.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by evil_panda on 07-06-2005 at 07:47 PM

lol scary but i didn't get it so...:banana:

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by segosa on 07-06-2005 at 08:27 PM

Recently they reported the average time to get infected after connecting an unpatched XP machine to the internet dropped from 16 minutes down to 12 minutes (Slashdot), though in reality the time you'd experience would be much lower.

Note that the Sasser virus isn't the only one that used the exploit in lsass.exe. Since it was made public thousands of botnets use that exploit to spread, so being infected via that exploit doesn't necessarily mean you got the Sasser virus. You could have any.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by MC Inferno on 07-19-2005 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
wow :O
what are the germans upto?! they are planning our doom. RUN AWAY :O
Europe did that proir to the war. look what happened then :|

quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
Hear about the one who made a virus that printed off his CV and then threatened to write more viruses if he didnt get a job?

What is the world coming to :rolleyes:

y didnt i think of that?
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Nathan on 07-19-2005 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
quote:
the sasser worm effects new computers there was a test a normal xp pc was set it with no firewall or any protection and connected to the internet after 7 minutes it was infected with the sasser worm

Thats what happened to me. I didn't have a firewall and had just set up my internet on my new Windows XP, and i got infected. I installed Kaspersky a day after i got connected, which was kind of stupid, but i didn't expect to be infected that quickly just from being on the internet.

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Yeah, it did. It came up with an error window saying the computer will restart in 60 seconds, then it counted down. Damn annoying it was.
I had the same thing. I thought it was microsoft hacking me because i have a pirate copy. I mean no i dont :P

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by zach on 07-19-2005 at 11:13 PM

quote:
I had the same thing. I thought it was microsoft hacking me because i have a pirate copy. I mean no i dont :P
That wasn't a smart move...

Oh I'll just copy out a clip I read in a magazine:
quote:
Quote from PCAuthority Magazine
Free XP for pirates
Microsoft has launched a new initiative offering a free copy of XP Pro to users with illegal versions IF they can supply the receipt and disk they got their warez version from. The Windows Genuine project is aimed at US users but may spread as the giant steps up validation requirements for its lates downloads. MS hope to use the technique to stamp out counterfeiters.

quote:

The sasser worm effects new computers there was a test a normal xp pc was set it with no firewall or any protection and connected to the internet after 7 minutes it was infected with the sasser worm
Scary. I don't get how you can get a virus if you just leave it on the internet.
How can I prevent myself from getting a virus like this? I can't get firewalls work :@
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by lopardo on 07-19-2005 at 11:21 PM

This whole thing only showed how people don't secure their computers, if people just had autoupdates enabled or Windows firewall enabled, then nothing would had happened...

quote:
Originally posted by zach
How can I prevent myself from getting a virus like this? I can't get firewalls work :@
Update your Windows regularly and just use Windows firewall (in Windows XP), you don't need any other firewall, that one works pretty fine.
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by segosa on 07-20-2005 at 06:32 AM

Get a router.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by lopardo on 07-21-2005 at 01:09 AM

Just use Windows firewall and you'll be safe.

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by Concord Dawn on 07-21-2005 at 01:14 AM

Router+firewall+common sense > *

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by ddunk on 07-21-2005 at 01:14 AM

-router - firewall

RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by segosa on 07-21-2005 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
i didnt use computers much back then so im glad i never got it :P

but what an asshole, creating a virus

why did he confess anyway?

I don't think he did. He bragged to his friends, and they couldn't keep their mouths shut.
RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by user27089 on 07-21-2005 at 07:10 AM

Do we really know that these allegations are correct? He could just be doing it for the media attention etc.

RE: RE: 19 Year Old German Created SASSER WORM by linx05 on 07-21-2005 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Do we really know that these allegations are correct? He could just be doing it for the media attention etc.

I think they would check if it was him before they send him off to court.

I've been lucky. In the 5 years of having the internet I have never gotten a big virus. Other than the odd small one, I've been safe. Maybe one day I'll get one so I can test out my Anti-Virus :P