Shoutbox

Would I be able to make a game? [Got Visual C# 2005] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Would I be able to make a game? [Got Visual C# 2005] (/showthread.php?tid=47248)

Would I be able to make a game? [Got Visual C# 2005] by zach on 07-06-2005 at 07:17 AM

I got a free version of Visual C# 2005 Express Edition Beta 2, so hopefully I can make some progress in making the game.

I have no idea how to make a game but I thought I might try. Is it very hard?
There is a prize at school to make some kind of Japanese learning game. I thought that I could try and make a game that you have to find the different hiragana and katakana characters. See the picture below to see what it would be like. Hopefully I would be able to make it look better if I can even make it.

[Image: game8fs.th.png]

Edit: added some more to what the game would look like.
RE: Would I be able to make a game? by ShawnZ on 07-06-2005 at 07:21 AM

You're going to need to learn a programming language to write it in first. I suggest C++, but there are many to choose from.

C++, C, VB, VB.NET, C#, DELPHI, COBOL, ASM, FORTRAN Are all the programming languages I know of. (Note the 'of' :P)

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by zach on 07-06-2005 at 07:31 AM

That doesn't sound easy :-s

Is there some sort of [trial] program which would make it a bit easier?

I would want there to be a time limit for you to find the character. Each  character would have a link. Each time you clicked the right character, you would get a point. There would be something like 5 wrong guesses and if you get one more wrong, the game would end.

I think that this is going to be a little bit harder than I thought.

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by ShawnZ on 07-06-2005 at 07:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
That doesn't sound easy :-s

Is there some sort of [trial] program which would make it a bit easier?

I would want there to be a time limit for you to find the character. Each  character would have a link. Each time you clicked the right character, you would get a point. There would be something like 5 wrong guesses and if you get one more wrong, the game would end.

I think that this is going to be a little bit harder than I thought.
Its going to be extremly harder then you thought. Unimaginably harder. Im serious. Whip out one of those dusty 500 page C++ books and read it to the end. Then read some docs on the windows graphical interface and how to use it in cpp to make dialogs and such, and your set.
RE: Would I be able to make a game? by zach on 07-06-2005 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
going to be extremly harder then you thought. Unimaginably harder. Im serious. Whip out one of those dusty 500 page C++ books and read it to the end. Then read some docs on the windows graphical interface and how to use it in cpp to make dialogs and such, and your set.

:| My chance of winning $1000 has gone... :'(
RE: Would I be able to make a game? by segosa on 07-06-2005 at 08:01 AM

... or you could take the easy way out and use VB.

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by Chestah on 07-06-2005 at 08:03 AM

exactly what i was going to say segosa......

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by TheGeek on 07-06-2005 at 09:46 AM

The easiest way to make this is in flash and then compile it to an exe with a program like Zinc.

You would have to make a movieclip with all the chinese characters and some actions to change the character and to change a textfield on mouse-over.
It shouldn't be to hard in flash...

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by -dt- on 07-06-2005 at 09:50 AM

or you could use javascript , and html.....which would be the easist way then you just use addEventListener's(non IE i think IE uses attachEvent) on each picture for the  'click' event then just update a div with "correct" and chaneg the background to green or something.

* -dt- thinks it would be simple

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by RaceProUK on 07-06-2005 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
I suggest C++
Not to someone who sounds like they don't have any real programming experience.

The best bet is either VB or Flash, although it's possible with HTML and JavaScript (where you don't need addEventListener(), just use the onClick attribute).

Edit: The only problem with HTML and JavaScript is, if you embed the script, people can view the source and cheat.
RE: Would I be able to make a game? by DJeX on 07-06-2005 at 05:41 PM

Use Visual Basic (VB) (Y)

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by M73A on 07-06-2005 at 05:44 PM

what about making it in flash? lol

its possible to do what you are suggesting with it.... its got something similar in one of the 'test' templates (macromedia Flash)

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by dotNorma on 07-06-2005 at 09:41 PM

That would be extremely easy using VB.

But since you know absolutely nothing about it at all...It could be a hard. But beleive me, go with VB.

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by zach on 07-07-2005 at 07:28 AM

I am downloading VB now... it's taking hours. Does it also have something to make graphics? I will try and use Photoshop at school because I don't have it anymore :(

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by CookieRevised on 07-07-2005 at 09:56 AM

- VB isn't a free tool.
- VB is programming language, not a graphics editor
- You will need a lot of learning! And I suggest you start with some much easier very small projects before attempting to pull this "game" off (eg: make some form where pressing a button shows some text on the form, etc...).

Although this "game" is extremely easy to make (for people who know programming), you still need knowledge of several programming concepts and other stuff. Stuff which many people take for granted, but is actually knowledge and stuff you need to learn too, making this project not so easy for a 'first timer'.

eg: arrays(!), random numbers, windows forms and dialogs, fonts, etc... and since this will be a foreign language specific application you also need to know a bit about Unicode and how it is implemented in VB (or whatever programming language you choose) if you choose to use fonts to represent the characters. If you choose to use graphics to represent the characters, you need to learn also a bit about graphic handling and use of resources.

RE: RE: Would I be able to make a game? by zach on 07-07-2005 at 10:30 AM

"VB isn't a free tool" - I realised this once I had downloaded it :P
"VB is programming language, not a graphics editor" - I thought the basic part meant that it would be a basic programme that I didn't need to code.

I think that I might try with javascript or flash. Can someone tell me really how hard this will be? Where can I learn how to code the javascript?

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by CookieRevised on 07-07-2005 at 02:05 PM

It would be much easier and much quicker in VB then in javascript and/or flash though (from newbie in programming point of view)...

BASIC is actually an abbrivation and stands for: Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. (although the initial meaning of "beginners symbolic code" from back in the 80's is long gone and Basic has evolved into a mature professional wide spread and much used language)

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by dotNorma on 07-07-2005 at 06:40 PM

Well, if you decide to code in VB then I am happy to assist.

I havent coded in forever. :grin:

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by RaceProUK on 07-07-2005 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
initial meaning of "beginners symbolic code" from back in the 80's is long gone
Which is probably why some dialects of BASIC don't capitalise the word, instead focussing on the fact the language is 'Basic' in it's structure, exotic datatypes, and general syntax.

Edit: Just realised this is a bit off-topic. Admins, feel free to split this ;)
RE: Would I be able to make a game? by CookieRevised on 07-07-2005 at 10:17 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
initial meaning of "beginners symbolic code" from back in the 80's is long gone
Which is probably why some dialects of BASIC don't capitalise the word, instead focussing on the fact the language is 'Basic' in it's structure, exotic datatypes, and general syntax.
Capitalising has nothing to do with this in almost all cases though.My point was also that the Basic language has gone far beyond the "'Basic' in it's structure, exotic datatypes, and general syntax" and has matured into a proper professional complex language.

Btw, it never used "exotic" datatypes. The datatypes used in almost all dialects are normal datatypes you can find in any other language. It wouldn't make much sense to use "exotic" datatypes anyways...

;)

[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by RaceProUK on 07-08-2005 at 02:10 PM

Calm down Cookie ;) I was just theorising :) And by 'exotic' datatypes I mean stuff like structs, unions, objects, stuff more complex than numbers and characters. Then again, VB does have support for user-defined types, which bear striking resembalnce to C's structs.

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by zach on 07-09-2005 at 03:43 AM

I made some backgrounds in class using photoshop. I found the images on google:

Background1

Background2

Background3

Background4

Background5

Background6

Yeah, they are all Dragon Ball Z :p

Wow, they look way different on my computer compared to the school ones.

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by dylan! on 07-09-2005 at 03:46 AM

nope cant see them...well i cant
psss....try http://www.imageshack.us

EDIT:now they work and i guesse there pretty good for the game your trying to make...

RE: Would I be able to make a game? by zach on 07-09-2005 at 03:54 AM

Mmm they didn't take long to make. That'll do for now. I might not even be able to make the "game".

Now that I have Visual C#, would someone be able to help me use it :p?
Edit: I   just got a pop-up saying that I had 27 days left until I had to register :(