Shoutbox

Conversation Backgrounds - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Conversation Backgrounds (/showthread.php?tid=47297)

Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-07-2005 at 04:06 PM

I have a new problem.

When I have a conversation window open, I go to backgrounds to change it and it freezes all my msn windows. I then have to ctrl alt + del, and close messenger altogether and restart it to get any response.

Meanwhile I still have the same background, so I seem unable to change it.

I don't know why this problem has started to occur, I have always changed it succesfully in the past and haven't used any backgrounds than ones I've used in the past with no problem.

Can anybody help?? :(

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by absorbation on 07-07-2005 at 04:08 PM

this happens to me with ddp try uninstalling and reinstalling maybe with the new version :)

then report back ;)

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-07-2005 at 04:12 PM

Sorry, what do you mean by DDP and do you mean reinstalling all of msn messenger again?

(To elaborate on the problem, I can open the backgrounds menu and select "more", and it then freezes when I try to click on a different background. I have exactly the same problem by going through Tools> My Backgrounds.)

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 04:17 PM

It may be due to the fact that you have too many backgrounds and when MSN Messenger tries to load these to show you the previews, it crashes.

Go to

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<msn id>\Backgrounds

<user> is your windows user name

<msn id> can be found using this tool

If you right click on some of the files and open with a picture viewer application, you can see what the background is. Try deleting some of them and see if it still crashes MSN.

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-07-2005 at 04:20 PM

I wouldn't have expected that I had too many, I only have 10 on the list, but I'll try what you've suggested, thanks. :)

Ok, I have done as you said and deleted all 6 of the ones that were in there (the other 4 left on my list were ones that came with msn)

Although the conversation window is coming up with a blank background so it has registered that they are gone msn is still crashing...

The few that came with msn are displayed but the same problem occurs, with the window freezing when I try to select one of them or any option. (Other than closing the window.)

As you can see it all displays fine-

[Image: screenshot1.jpg]

It is just when I try to select one from the list.
RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 04:38 PM

I would then recommend reinstalling MSN Messenger.

Uninstall it first and delete the MSN Messenger folder from C:\Program Files.

Then delete the MSN Messenger folder here.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

NOTE: this will delete all custom emoticons, backgrounds etc. so i would use MSN BackUp

Then reboot your computer.

Then download MSN Messenger from http://messenger.msn.com and install.

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-07-2005 at 04:41 PM

Ok I'll do that.

Thanks for the backup program, I wouldn't want to loose all my emoticons etc.

Question though, I have a patch (Stuffplug) installed, and Plus! (3.54)

Do I uninstall them, reinstall msn, then reinstall them, or can I leave those both installed throughout?

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin
Ok I'll do that.

Thanks for the backup program, I wouldn't want to loose all my emoticons etc.

Question though, I have a patch (Stuffplug) installed, and Plus! (3.54)

Do I uninstall them, reinstall msn, then reinstall them, or can I leave those both installed throughout?

Stuffplug is not a patch, but a plugin for Messenger plus!

Messenger plus! does not affect the msnmsgr.exe at all as it hooks onto it. So, no, you don't need to uninstall any of them. Just leave them as they are.

Just thought, though, does the problem still occur without plus running?
RE: RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-07-2005 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
Stuffplus is not a patch, but a plugin for Messenger plus!

Messenger plus! does not affect the msnmsgr.exe at all as it hooks onto it. So, no, you don't need to uninstall any of them. Just leave them as they are.
Lol ok, thanks... not at all good at the technical side of msn as you can see!

quote:
Originally posted by monster.ratJust thought, though, does the problem still occur without plus running?
I will try it and report back. Thanks for all the help.
Having reinstalled messenger the problem still occurs. Looks like I'm stuck with it for now. :(

The ad banner etc that I previously removed using Stuffplug seems to be back, even though I didn't uninstall Plus! or Stuffplug. Shall I run Stuffplug again?
RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Zephyr on 07-07-2005 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin
Having reinstalled messenger the problem still occurs. Looks like I'm stuck with it for now. :(

The ad banner etc that I previously removed using Stuffplug seems to be back, even though I didn't uninstall Plus! or Stuffplug. Shall I run Stuffplug again?

Main Messenger window> plus> preferences> plugins> Stuffplug-NG> configure> MSN 7 tab> check what you want.

You don't need to reinsatll Stufplug.

Also, did you try running MSN Messenger without plus to see if the same thing happens?
RE: Conversation Backgrounds by absorbation on 07-07-2005 at 05:17 PM

ddp = those larger display picture that are flash animations :P

Do what monster.rat just said ;) and make sure you dont have any other plguins effecting this ;)

that's all i can do it's an odd case maybe it's your computer specs ;)

RE: RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-07-2005 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
Main Messenger window> plus> preferences> plugins> Stuffplug-NG> configure> MSN 7 tab> check what you want.

You don't need to reinsatll Stufplug.

Also, did you try running MSN Messenger without plus to see if the same thing happens?

Cheers, all sorted on the Stuffplug options front now.

No, I'll check if you can tell me how to close Plus without msn?! :S

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
ddp = those larger display picture that are flash animations :P

Do what monster.rat just said ;) and make sure you dont have any other plguins effecting this ;)

that's all i can do it's an odd case maybe it's your computer specs ;)

I can't see what else would be affecting it, as I said the only things I run are Plus! and Stuffplug. I am going to try it without Plus when I know how lol. :$:P
RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Rodney on 07-10-2005 at 11:07 AM

Press alt+ctrl+del, go to the Processes tab and shutdown MsgPlus.exe to turn off Plus... It will be restarted at the next reboot of your pc.

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Nathan on 07-10-2005 at 11:12 AM

I thought it was ctrl+alt+del but i bet they both work

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by ShawnZ on 07-10-2005 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
I thought it was ctrl+alt+del but i bet they both work

Order of the Ctrl/Shift/Alt keys in a keyboard shortcut don't matter ;p
RE: RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-11-2005 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney
Press alt+ctrl+del, go to the Processes tab and shutdown MsgPlus.exe to turn off Plus... It will be restarted at the next reboot of your pc.

Weird... I had tried that already but find that Plus continues to run so I thought there must be another way of doing it. Surely something is wrong if I stop it running in taskmanager (so that if I open it again Plus isnt shown) but it's still running on messenger?!

I just tried it again and the same thing happened, even after closing and restarting messenger Plus still shows as running lol.
RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Eljay on 07-11-2005 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin
Weird... I had tried that already but find that Plus continues to run so I thought there must be another way of doing it. Surely something is wrong if I stop it running in taskmanager (so that if I open it again Plus isnt shown) but it's still running on messenger?!

I just tried it again and the same thing happened, even after closing and restarting messenger Plus still shows as running lol.

if "Plus! > Preferences > General > Miscellaneous > Attach Mode" is set to alternate mode then this is normal behaviour
RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-11-2005 at 03:12 PM

Ah cheers... should this just be set to default mode then? (Or default mode forced?)

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by Gin on 07-11-2005 at 03:13 PM

And the answer to the question is yes, this problem still occurs without Plus running. :)

RE: Conversation Backgrounds by splendiferous on 08-10-2005 at 05:47 PM

I have this same problem. I consecutively uploaded about 15 pictures (they were a bit large) to my Backgrounds. Then, when I tried opening any one of them, all of MSN freezes and I have to open Task Manager and "end now" everything.

I've tried uninstalling MSN and reinstalling again, no luck.

I've tried going to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<msn id>\Backgrounds

But once I get to Microsoft, there isn't even a MSN Messenger file.

I can upload a background right now and it will work. But when I try clicking on anyone of the 15 backgrounds I consecutively opened, it freezes. I can't even remove them because it freezes, I guess when trying to show the preview picture.

Please help!!!!!!!

----------------------
EDIT... ITS FIXED!

My sister was on our other computer which shares the same files. So she shared the same backgrounds that were frozen with me. Then, they started to work! I could click on the ones that she shared that used to freeze! Same picture from the same file. So we continued to share all of them so I could at least click on them and delete them. When we were nearly done, I checked my Backgrounds list and they were all gone. Back to normal. Weird. But now I can upload pictures and I'll be careful to only upload a few at a time and a maximum of 9 or 10.

----
Edit

Minor setback... I logged out of MSN and signed back in later and my backgrounds again were all gone. Have to upload them again. Weird.