Shoutbox

DIY Das Keyboard - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DIY Das Keyboard (/showthread.php?tid=47330)

DIY Das Keyboard by segosa on 07-08-2005 at 04:08 PM

A while ago I read about the Das Keyboard (link) and I immediately wanted one. Of course, it's around $80 and it has an American layout (no extra key to the right of shift) so buying one was out of the question. I thought about making one, but at that time I didn't have a black keyboard.

Today I got a cheap black one from where I work, with the intention of removing the symbols on the keys and thus creating my very own Das Keyboard. At first I tried tape, but that was easily visible and not permanent. I then tried pen, but it was a different shade of black so that didn't work well either. The only thing I could do was sandpaper them off.

It took me about 1 hour 15 minutes to do, but here's the result:

[Image: picture 15.jpg]
[Image: picture 16.jpg]
[Image: picture 17.jpg]
[Image: picture 13.jpg]

It's still not finished, I need to do a bit more sandpapering and then finish off each key. I'll be doing that another day though, for now it's perfect.

By using this keyboard it's going to force me to type better, and ensure that I use the numpad instead of the row of numbers on the top, since I can't use them anymore really. I also think it looks damn nice, too.

And it keeps people off my computer. :P

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Eljay on 07-08-2005 at 04:16 PM

rofl. why?

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Mnjul on 07-08-2005 at 04:26 PM

What about the "Individually Weighted Keyswitches" ? :P

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by ShawnZ on 07-08-2005 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
rofl. why?
quote:
Originally posted by Segosa

By using this keyboard it's going to force me to type better, and ensure that I use the numpad instead of the row of numbers on the top, since I can't use them anymore really. I also think it looks damn nice, too.

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by segosa on 07-08-2005 at 04:29 PM

@Mnjul:

This keyboard has that too actually. :P

It definitely requires more force for the Enter/spacebar keys, etc, and less for the middle ones anyway.

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Eljay on 07-08-2005 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
rofl. why?
quote:
Originally posted by Segosa

yeh but that takes a while, before you learn to type well you will be pised off
RE: DIY Das Keyboard by ShawnZ on 07-08-2005 at 05:00 PM

Most people can already type good enough to use it lj 8-)

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by saralk on 07-08-2005 at 05:05 PM

I can type without looking at the keyboard, but it think having that would increase my speed just that little bit more.

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by CookieRevised on 07-08-2005 at 05:34 PM

Segosa, lol... (and nice mod job)

anways, here is a next idea once you get the hang of typing on that keyboard: purchase a flat touchpad keyboard (one where you simply touch a flat surface instead of pressing a button; you known like the heat induction cooking plates principle), and do the same with it. Then you only have a flat black panel on your desk :P (thus star-trek like, only without the lights and labels :P)

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Zephyr on 07-08-2005 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

anways, here is a next idea once you get the hang of typing on that keyboard: purchase a flat touchpad keyboard (one where you simply touch a flat surface instead of pressing a button; you known like the heat induction cooking plates principle), and do the same with it. Then you only have a flat black panel on your desk :P (thus star-trek like, only without the lights and labels :P)

Or one like this...

[Image: vkb_large.jpg]

Now that would be Star-Trek like
RE: DIY Das Keyboard by M73A on 07-08-2005 at 05:45 PM

put it into production!:P

good for learning to touch type i suppose

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Sypher on 07-08-2005 at 06:37 PM

it Might sound stupid, but when I saw your keyboard-pictures, it looked like my brain put over the keys... lol.. I saw it with the letters on it, very light though.. :P

And no, this is no bullshit, i'm not kidding... I'm deadserious..

Maybe this is because I have a very similair keyboard (with letters on it ;))

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by segosa on 07-08-2005 at 06:46 PM

quote:

Hmm, that would indeed be cool. I wonder how annoying it would be to type on though :P

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
put it into production!:P

good for learning to touch type i suppose

It is. http://daskeyboard.com

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
it Might sound stupid, but when I saw your keyboard-pictures, it looked like my brain put over the keys... lol.. I saw it with the letters on it, very light though.. :P

And no, this is no bullshit, i'm not kidding... I'm deadserious..

Maybe this is because I have a very similair keyboard (with letters on it ;))

That sort of happened to someone else too...

code:
[18:12:52] <mezzanine> why is it more special?
[18:12:56] <segosa> omg
[18:12:56] <mezzanine> it's a regular keyboard
[18:13:00] <mezzanine> mine looks the same
[18:13:04] <segosa> eh
[18:13:06] <mezzanine> :\
[18:13:08] <segosa> you mean you can't see a difference?
[18:13:09] <segosa> :P
[18:13:24] <mezzanine> ??
[18:13:26] <segosa> you can't see the main differerence it has with other keyboards?
[18:13:26] <segosa> :|
[18:13:44] <mezzanine> the buttons are a little 'high'
[18:13:45] <mezzanine> higher than mine
[18:13:49] <segosa> :|
[18:13:54] <mezzanine> but the pics are so blurry
[18:13:57] <segosa> there are no letters on the keys!
[18:13:58] <mezzanine> wait
[18:13:58] <segosa> !!
[18:14:02] <segosa> noob :<
[18:14:05] <mezzanine> i JUST SAW THAT
[18:14:09] <segosa> rofl :\
[18:14:10] <mezzanine> on the link you provided
[18:14:16] <mezzanine> OMG

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Sypher on 07-08-2005 at 06:48 PM

LOL... Yeah, i've showed this thread to someone else and he had to look twice to see you didn't have letters on the keys :p

A strange thing, that human mind ;)

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by WDZ on 07-09-2005 at 05:19 AM

I've seen that done before... :p

http://www.saneasylum.com/articles/590

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Tandy on 07-09-2005 at 07:25 AM

O.o that's pretty cool...i guess it would help your typing, i dont see why u dont just use metho to get the letters off though.

My keyboard is already stuffed, the numpad is on the left! i hate it

gonna get a new one soon hopefully...

Tandy

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Anubis on 07-09-2005 at 08:15 AM

This is one sure way to  test your typing skills, but apart from looking teh 1337, I don't see a point.

quote:
Then you only have a flat black panel on your desk
What would be sweet would be if the keyboard was intergrated into the desk, maybe even a holograpic projected screen into midair suspended on some kind of magnetic field, and a computer that's in the wall. That would be teh 1337, target : 2080 :cheesy:...

However typing would be really weird on a flat surface, but after a while, I think it would be ajustable.
RE: DIY Das Keyboard by user27089 on 07-09-2005 at 08:25 AM

That's pretty cool, I might do it to this one for a laugh, because I should be getting a new keyboard soon :p...

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by jren207 on 07-10-2005 at 02:05 AM

lol, my keys are wearing away a little... :P

Although i'd probably get a letterless keyboard and forget where one of the letters was and be poking all over the keyboard to find it...

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Maniac on 07-10-2005 at 02:59 AM

hmmm never seen this before... if i even find a cheap keyboard i'll try this :refuck:

RE: DIY Das Keyboard by Rubber Stamp on 07-10-2005 at 04:16 AM

i m doing it wid my old keyboard....dont knw y tho!!!
lmao