Shoutbox

Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! (/showthread.php?tid=47391)

Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dane on 07-09-2005 at 10:17 PM

I have not breached any Non-Disclosure agreements with Microsoft to bring you this information.  It has all publicly leaked at the source below by other users.

The Microsoft Windows Longhorn Pre-Beta Program has begun.  At press time, it seems that Beta Build #5203 is not yet on Microsoft's MSDN/TechNet Subscribers Area.

Microsoft is offering a selected group of testers an early preview of Windows, Code-Name "Longhorn,". Longhorn Beta Program participants will preview software for the next generation of Windows as well as Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Some more details now emerging from the Microsoft Camp.  The official Beta (this is Pre-Beta Preview for select users) will begin with in the next 2 weeks (By July 23rd, 2005). A revised edition of Longhorn #5203 is expected with bug fixes from the Preview Release.

There is also a *rumor* that Longhorn Testers will also get an automatic acceptance in the Windows OneCare program, should they choose to, so they can test that on Longhorn as well.

Longhorn will provide advancements in the following key areas:

• A strong focus on the fundamentals of the operating system, including advancements in reliability, performance, deployment, and ease of use.
  • Major improvements to help PC users to work smarter and provide exciting new experiences for home users.
  • The next-generation developer platform to make it easier for developers to create breakthrough applications.

[Edit: Microsoft have been requesting that screenshots posted on the internet be removed.]

Source: Neowin.net

Do not request links with in this thread!!  They will not be given!

Some things to consider:
  • No release date has been officially confirmed by Microsoft; Rumored to be in the First or Second Quarter of 2006
  • Added details above about the official Beta Test
  • Microsoft Connect has been identified as the Distribution Medium. Select Existing Users as of 7/10/05 will recieve One-time-use invitation IDs for the Beta Program.  Registering today will not gain you access to the Beta Program.
  • I will update this post when new details become available

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Shezi on 07-09-2005 at 10:23 PM

when it is supposed to release for public.. any expected date..??
i m already waiting for it curiously .. ;)

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by pollolibredegrasa on 07-09-2005 at 10:32 PM

Hmm looks good, interesting GUI *-), does anyone know if it will still have the Slate theme? I kinda liked that...

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by M73A on 07-09-2005 at 10:32 PM

image 3 is 404 error:P

cool:| loving the transparency effect on windows

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Tandy on 07-09-2005 at 10:39 PM

Wow that looks so good. I think i might get it when it comes out....

Tandy

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by user35870 on 07-09-2005 at 10:51 PM

Woe nice GUI looks good (H)

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Stigmata on 07-09-2005 at 11:08 PM

oh my... it would be xero cool hosting the images..

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-09-2005 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
oh my... it would be xero cool hosting the images..
...and? O.o
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ddunk on 07-09-2005 at 11:23 PM

He was the one removed from the MSN Messenger beta testing program for leaking screens and builds :P

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-09-2005 at 11:24 PM

oh :P

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by paperless on 07-10-2005 at 12:26 AM

WOW! I gotta *cough*get*cough* it...
Very very nice screenies.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-10-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
"0.3% of Windows.Longhorn.b5048.32bit.WinHec.DVD-Winbeta.torrent"

That? :refuck:
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Hank on 07-10-2005 at 02:59 AM

looks ok, but IMO, still needs work,, like to know  what its like running on  64Bit hardware,

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by rav0 on 07-10-2005 at 02:59 AM

How about build 5208? (the build this thread is about)

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by paperless on 07-10-2005 at 04:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
How about build 5208? (the build this thread is about)

0wned

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-10-2005 at 04:50 AM

not leaked yet tbh :P

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by John Anderton on 07-10-2005 at 05:09 AM

I'm drooling already .... i wanna be selected for this program :P

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by rav0 on 07-10-2005 at 05:26 AM

The selectees have already been selected, and you would have needed to be someone high-profile at Microsoft like an MVP.

RE: RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by YottabyteWizard on 07-10-2005 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
quote:

I have like a month with that torrent, but i just bought my DVD burner :'(, tomorrow I'll buy blank DVDs so I can test this new windows :D
RE: RE: RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Anubis on 07-10-2005 at 08:06 AM

The new build looks sweet, however I don't think those screenshots really show off all that Longhorn has to offer...nice to see IE with tabs though :p.

The computer management screen looks quite efficient, and hopefully should speed up doing tasks, however it needs work on the GUI of it. Looks like a combination of Windows 3.1 and Longhorn. It may sound dumb, but when I'm trying to fix some problems I don't want to have to see these old looking texty screens with small faddy icons and those lists of crap, it makes it seem much more tedious. What I'd prefer to see is something along the lines of the nicer new GUI of Windows Media Player, something with big colourful icons and soft graphics.

Anyway, there are a lot of useful new displays like the status bars, and nicely designed as well as well thought through useful additions.

I'm really looking forward to the new version of Windows, unless they do go ahead with the TCPA idea.

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
I have like a month with that torrent, but i just bought my DVD burner :'(, tomorrow I'll buy blank DVDs so I can test this new windows :D

Dude, be a little covertish about warez :p.

Also be careful when installing it, Microsoft do not make any lies up about how possibly unstable this build could be, and if it really screws up you can't get any tech support.
I know of people who have installed it and now their computer locks up at the 'choose your operating system' screen; also ironically only Longhorn is listed.
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dane on 07-10-2005 at 06:23 PM

Indeed, Anubis is right.  As with any Beta, you need to treat it with Extreme Caution, Especially when it affects your Operating System.  If it doesnt function properly, you may end up formatting your entire system.

As for the appearance, I think it looks OKAY for now, but remember, this is still a Beta and the first beta does not contain Avalan and all those other GUI-enhancers.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by John Anderton on 07-10-2005 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I know of people who have installed it and now their computer locks up at the 'choose your operating system' screen; also ironically only Longhorn is listed.
:lol:
Thats for stealing beta's ... stuff like messenger cant harm your pc to the extent that an os can .... you'll end up with double the work formatting it and reinstalling everything :refuck:
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dr4g0n on 07-10-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
The selectees have already been selected, and you would have needed to be someone high-profile at Microsoft like an MVP.
* Dr4g0n will haz it off DX... =p
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by mad_onion on 07-10-2005 at 08:42 PM

yeah the 5208 version hasbt been leaked so it seems like it wont be... but i have been wrong before so i dont know. you guys are loads more positive about this than some people over at neowin are. but there are a lot of mac fanboys over there. tbh i can see where they are coming from it isnt that different but this is beta 1 so the gui will be the last thing that gets finalised. all the background features are starting to come together though :)

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-10-2005 at 08:44 PM

It WILL be leaked. For sure. like, 100% chance.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dane on 07-10-2005 at 09:43 PM

Sources (and myself) are predicting the leak of this build to be 72 hours from Yesterday.  I'm almost certain that this will leak soon, however, you'll have to find it yourself, i'm not providing any leak urls in this community.

As for the features, it seems to be a load more secure...it has background features to protect itself from its own security holes on the hardware side of things.  As far as I know, the first Longhorn-Compatible PC's will be marketed towards October or November of 2005.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by mad_onion on 07-10-2005 at 09:50 PM

what you mean they will be compatible with longhorn without it being installed i see. ive never heard that talked about before.
dont worry about giving a url im sure everyone is more than capable of finding it themselves lol. i will get the word of the leak first from neowin anyway

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Hank on 07-11-2005 at 12:23 AM

why M$$ dont test Avalon in the first Beta i dont know,  no w0nder windows is so security ridden with holes

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-11-2005 at 01:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
why M$$ dont test Avalon in the first Beta i dont know,  no w0nder windows is so security ridden with holes

okay first, whats up with the newbspeak?

second, try to revise your post so it makes a little more sense

and third, try, avalon is broken? you can't exactly just stick an untested unfinished component in an OS
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Jhrono on 07-11-2005 at 01:12 AM

If it may cause problems, the simplest solution is to use vmware :)

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by EvilSeph on 07-11-2005 at 02:51 AM

The suggested way to test this is to use a secondary, test computer. You're not meant to run this build and any future builds in a productive environment or as your primary Operating System.

* EvilSeph can't wait for LH Beta :).

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dane on 07-11-2005 at 04:32 AM

Further information has been leaked regarding the selectees.  A lot of Existing Users of Microsoft Connect (Please Note: EXISTING USERS, no new users will be selected for the program as of 7/10/05) will recieve an email with a One-time-use Invitation ID for Microsoft Windows Codename Longhorn.

I also want to note something...Traditional Key Generators and Microsoft Product Activation Workarounds are being reported as "Non-Working", even the Generic Ones that have worked on previous longhorn builds.  It is now rumored that the Activation Component uses Web-Authentication...this wont stop the crackers, but it will delay peoples ability to use the software until someone creates a workaround, however, you shouldnt be cracking it anyway.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by saralk on 07-11-2005 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Sources (and myself) are predicting the leak of this build to be 72 hours from Yesterday.  I'm almost certain that this will leak soon, however, you'll have to find it yourself, i'm not providing any leak urls in this community.

As for the features, it seems to be a load more secure...it has background features to protect itself from its own security holes on the hardware side of things.  As far as I know, the first Longhorn-Compatible PC's will be marketed towards October or November of 2005.

if beta testers are testing the software out on PCs being currently used, im assuming that the computer I have now, will run Longhorn when it comes out officially?

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Hank on 07-11-2005 at 08:34 AM

shame i dont know anyone from Mayne Nicklaus  here in Australia .. they were or still are microsoft Connect Customers, :-P

RE: RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by rav0 on 07-11-2005 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Indeed, Anubis is right.  As with any Beta, you need to treat it with Extreme Caution, Especially when it affects your Operating System.
Especially when it is your operating system.
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by PenguinBoy on 07-11-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:
ctees have already been selected, and you would have needed to be someone high-profile at Microsoft like an MVP.

what's an mvp
(appart from evilseph)
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by ShawnZ on 07-11-2005 at 05:32 PM

Most Valueble Professional or something like that, its basically a bunch of people that get selected.

MVP's get a free msdn subscription which would normally cost 3000$ so they get loads of free stuff too like longhorn :P

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by King For A Day on 07-11-2005 at 08:34 PM

that does look awsome id download it but i realy dont wanna fudge around with betas like that knowing my luck id fook summat up.

i will get it by money or other ways when its relesed though

providing they get rid of these damn icons and make somting that fits
[Image: lh23vp.png]

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dane on 07-12-2005 at 03:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

if beta testers are testing the software out on PCs being currently used, im assuming that the computer I have now, will run Longhorn when it comes out officially?
Well, there are currently several different versions of Longhorn planned, and no Official Set of System Requirements have been published.  I believe that there may be a "Longhorn Lite" sorta thing for those of us with the many PC's that wont support the full longhorn expierience...
RE: RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by rav0 on 07-12-2005 at 05:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
quote:
ctees have already been selected, and you would have needed to be someone high-profile at Microsoft like an MVP.

what's an mvp
(appart from evilseph)

Microsoft Valued Professional (or something like that). Patchou is one as well.
RE: RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by mad_onion on 07-12-2005 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Well, there are currently several different versions of Longhorn planned, and no Official Set of System Requirements have been published.  I believe that there may be a "Longhorn Lite" sorta thing for those of us with the many PC's that wont support the full longhorn expierience...

well there isnt actually going to be diffrent versions like that on sale but windows is going to have a system scan feature which will then set the gui to include the amount of fancy bits that your pc can run well and support.

i found the different levels:

Aero Tiers
There are various tiers of the Aero User Experience. The tiers you can run depend solely on the performance of your system. The tiers are:

* Classic – This will be the Classic look rather like the normal Windows 2000 Classic which many companies and those who do not require flashy UIs run. It will work with the current XP Driver Model and the Longhorn Display Driver Model.

* To Go – To Go will feature the new Longhorn look but will not have any fancy effects. This will also work with the XP and Longhorn Display Driver Model.

* Aero Express – Aero Express will have some basic composition-based DPI scaling and a few effects, unlike “Classic” and “To Go” this Tier requires the Longhorn Display Driver Model and DX9 compatible cards.

* Aero Glass – Aero Glass will be the premium user-experience which will showcase Glass, 3D transitions and animations. This tier will only function on higher-end graphics cards. Like “Aero Express” it requires the Longhorn Display Driver Model and DX9 compatible cards.

of course this might all change....
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by mad_onion on 07-12-2005 at 03:29 PM

hmm yeah this news was just on neowin too. it is very interesting althought i dont have alot of trust in them having it out on that date.
if anyone still thinks that 5203 will leak then they are very wrong.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Dane on 07-15-2005 at 01:20 AM

Unconfirmed Report: According to an anonymous source, they told me that there will be both Public and Private Longhorn Builds available.  The private will be updated more and will have access to Newsgroups and stuff.

RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by surfichris on 07-15-2005 at 01:43 AM

quote:
Unconfirmed Report: According to an anonymous source, they told me that there will be both Public and Private Longhorn Builds available.  The private will be updated more and will have access to Newsgroups and stuff.
:-/ That's not true.. No way..

http://www.mstechtoday.com/articles/071105a.htm
RE: Windows Longhorn Beta LIVE! by Savior on 07-15-2005 at 02:09 AM

images don't work :(