Shoutbox

Arizona School ditches text books - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Arizona School ditches text books (/showthread.php?tid=47467)

Arizona School ditches text books by .blade// on 07-11-2005 at 07:44 PM

[Image: 1130350725857893.JPG?0.56458740869889]

An Arizona high school is set to become one of the first ebook-only schools, as it preps to hand out laptops to 350 students this fall. The cost for the laptops at Vail High School will be about $850 per student, compared to about $600 for textbooks. The school plans to supplement electronic versions of traditional textbooks with online articles assigned by teachers. Meanwhile, we assume the students are already planning for in-class LAN parties over the school’s WiFi network. (Oh, and that’s Vail, Arizona, not Colorado, so don’t even think about moving there if your plans are to get a free lappie and hit the slopes.)

SOURCE

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by user27089 on 07-11-2005 at 07:48 PM

That's really cool, our school is beginning to do things like this, by 2006, every student is hoped to have a laptop and no books...

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by M73A on 07-11-2005 at 07:50 PM

* M73A considers moving to Arizona *-)

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by Fraisie on 07-11-2005 at 08:10 PM

Wow ! Now THAT'S what I call progress !

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by [MR] on 07-11-2005 at 08:14 PM

ya i saw that on the news or somthing which i thinks is really cool

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by Anubis on 07-11-2005 at 08:16 PM

A nice idea, my school's still way off doing something like this...the best I've heard of is the remote possibility of USB memory key loaning in the future, for this web-development GCSE DIDA course...

It'd be nice to have a laptop with a WiFi instead, simply because your work would be backed up on a server, so there would always be a copy of everything. This idea would be really good for revision, having all your notes at the tips of your fingers without having to go through books, everything perfectly organised. Well, at least my kids will have something like this, hopefully.

pffft...they're macs :refuck:

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by TylerG on 07-11-2005 at 08:22 PM

Right now I am wishing I went to that school....

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by shine on 07-11-2005 at 09:48 PM

Cool... An emerging ESchool

RE: Arizona School ditches text books by freitag on 07-11-2005 at 11:11 PM

we use laptops at my school. but we have textbooks also. if we buy our own computer we don't have to pay for books. if we borrow a computer from school, we have to pay for textbooks.
we use them more as toys than what they're meant for.