Shoutbox

Blogging Systems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Blogging Systems (/showthread.php?tid=47508)

Blogging Systems by Tasha on 07-12-2005 at 07:33 PM

Does anyone know of any good blogging systems, apart from Wordpress? I would like to see different blogging systems before I use one. Thanks. :happy:

RE: Blogging Systems by John Anderton on 07-12-2005 at 07:37 PM

Saralblog (what ever its called ;))
Then blogs like blogger ((N)) and some other online pre made blogs (which i personally hate :sad:)
Imo wordpress pwns all but you need a different one ;)

RE: Blogging Systems by user27089 on 07-12-2005 at 07:41 PM

SaralBlog is currently in production, but if you contact Saral: Saral@fw6.net, then I'm sure he will give you a stable version ;).

It is very good.!

RE: Blogging Systems by John Anderton on 07-12-2005 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
SaralBlog is currently in production, but if you contact Saral: Saral@fw6.net, then I'm sure he will give you a stable version ;).

It is very good.!
Yeah i thought that was the name tho i missed the capital B :P
I think you said you have to buy it ..... its cost was ?? 10 UKP (UK Pounds ;)) ???
RE: Blogging Systems by Stigmata on 07-12-2005 at 07:46 PM

bah i could make you one when i have some spare time..

RE: Blogging Systems by user27089 on 07-12-2005 at 07:48 PM

Saral is doing a free version, with a lot of features, and really easy to use, even I can do it with ease!!! All you have to create yourself is the layout, there is no actual user interface just yet though.

RE: Blogging Systems by saralk on 07-12-2005 at 07:53 PM

if you talk to me on msn, i will help you install saralblog.

Currently, Traxor is the only one really using it, and he is my tester for all the features, and every time i break his site, fix it etc...

I have decided to implement a new feature while he is at school every day. I already have a feature planned for tomorrow, but what will it be...

RE: Blogging Systems by user27089 on 07-12-2005 at 07:54 PM

He is constantly surprising me, by the time the blog is complete, god knows what we'll have, it will be a masterpiece!!! I seriously think you should get "SaralBlog"

RE: Blogging Systems by L. Coyote on 07-12-2005 at 10:11 PM

I started out in Blogger.com (with my own host). You can get a program like w.bloggar if you don't like going to their website to post. Their template system is easy to learn too. :p

Edit: I find that WordPress isn't flexible enough for me, as I constantly like to change the layout of my site (and that the layout is the same for blog and site).

RE: Blogging Systems by -dt- on 07-13-2005 at 04:43 AM

[Image: xso_undecided.gif] sorry I know you said not workpress but I sware by wordpress , its extremly powerfull with its template system and plugin system(how the plugin system works i disagree with but eh we'll leave that for another time shall we kids[Image: msn_tongue.gif])
its also very easy to setup and install.
Ive tried quite a few other blogging systems which i cant for the sake of me remember the name of [Image: xso_undecided.gif]
which had their upsides and downsides like using smarty as a template system can be powerfull but not as powerfull as using direct php templates which is what wordpress uses.

[Image: xso_undecided.gif] and running a dev blog(which you pay for[Image: msn_surprised.gif]) which could possibley be exploited due to some error on your behalf sarlk , im not saying it will happen im saying it might.
but I dont understand how other people can vouch for sarlk blog if they have never used it , only seen it in action never looked "under the hood" or hell even posted with it (this excludes traxor and is mainly pointed at john anderson)

* -dt- goes back to the bat cave....

RE: Blogging Systems by John Anderton on 07-13-2005 at 05:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
this excludes traxor and is mainly pointed at john anderson)
I never vouched for it .... i just said its under devlopment and seems to be a good option.
I said wp pwns :P
RE: Blogging Systems by Tasha on 07-13-2005 at 06:47 AM

I'll have a look at blogger.com later. Wordpress is stupid, I couldn't figure out how to install it, it just messed up on me.Then I thought that its not worth the time. :p

RE: Blogging Systems by user27089 on 07-13-2005 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I'll have a look at blogger.com later. Wordpress is stupid, I couldn't figure out how to install it, it just messed up on me.Then I thought that its not worth the time. :p

I can help you install WordPress if you want to, I wouldn't go for blogger.

You don't have to pay for SaralBlog btw -dt- ;)...
RE: Blogging Systems by -dt- on 07-13-2005 at 07:00 AM

quote:

You don't have to pay for SaralBlog btw -dt- ...
:/ im sure i read in a thread that someone paid for it......

quote:
I'll have a look at blogger.com later
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
anythings better than that :P

RE: Blogging Systems by L. Coyote on 07-13-2005 at 07:02 AM

quote:
anythings better than that
How's that? :P
RE: Blogging Systems by user27089 on 07-13-2005 at 07:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Killov
quote:
anythings better than that
How's that? :P

Blogger is just another company brought by google to make money out of, the system that is used isn't very good at all, and it is not at all as customizable as a system like SaralBlog or WordPress.

quote:
:/ im sure i read in a thread that someone paid for it......

I paid for it, but I am getting all new features added on for me, and Saral is doing all of the work. In this thread, I posted that it is now free :).
RE: Blogging Systems by L. Coyote on 07-13-2005 at 07:34 AM

quote:
Blogger is just another company brought by google to make money out of, the system that is used isn't very good at all, and it is not at all as customizable as a system like SaralBlog or WordPress.
The last bit I don't agree with...

I've found it very complicated to edit WordPress, get a language pack, etc. :s In the end, I went back to Blogger.

Although now I simply output the posts as PHP variables and handle the layout in my site. :tongue:
RE: Blogging Systems by -dt- on 07-13-2005 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Killov
quote:

The last bit I don't agree with...

I've found it very complicated to edit WordPress, get a language pack, etc. :s In the end, I went back to Blogger.

Although now I simply output the posts as PHP variables and handle the layout in my site.
wtf wordpress is dead easy to edit , your crazy!  , crazy crazy little lemming.
its got quite a few plugin handles which work and blah!
* -dt- returns to the bat cave

RE: Blogging Systems by L. Coyote on 07-13-2005 at 09:39 AM

quote:
:dodgy:

I did try the plugins, and some worked very well. But it was too much to study... I don't like to complicate myself...
RE: Blogging Systems by John Anderton on 07-13-2005 at 10:24 AM

quote:

Ok Leo here's the thing .... to prove how correct dt is just do one thing. Go over to my site and just see all the changes that i have made to the default wordpress. I even skinned the skin in a way by adding quite a few things :P
So if i could do it a few months back when i didnt know abc of php ..... get the picture ;)
quote:
Talk to me on msn ... ill install it for you cause its the easiest install ever .... 2 minute install ;)
And modding is really easy since all the info is available on the 654984765149846231..... sites dedicated to / that have info on wordpress :P
RE: Blogging Systems by saralk on 07-13-2005 at 10:55 AM

If you want to see the progress of SaralBlog, I am always running all the work I have currently done here. And before -dt- or someone else says anything, I know that the CSS/HTML probably sucks, but thats near the bottom of my todo list :p.