Shoutbox

Physical Education..... an essential subject? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Physical Education..... an essential subject? (/showthread.php?tid=47539)

Physical Education..... an essential subject? by M73A on 07-13-2005 at 03:12 PM

hmm... we are doing debates in english and this was quite an interesting one... i thought would be good to see what other people outside of my school thought about it..

so, is P.E./ Physical Education an Essential subject?

comments?

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Veggie on 07-13-2005 at 03:12 PM

Yes it keeps students active

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by M73A on 07-13-2005 at 03:14 PM

but a p.e. gcse isn't necessary for a job.. so some would say its a waste of time

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by qgroessl on 07-13-2005 at 03:18 PM

:stupid:haha... just kidding... But agreed ... Otherwise you'd have kids that are overweight and they wouldn't have any initiative to take a phys ed course... So they probably wouldn't get any more excercise than walking between classes. But! Our school you only need two credits of phys ed... So two year long classes... or whatever. Freshman phy ed is required freshman year... so there's one right there, then when you take the other class or classes it's up to you.

EDIT: Calvin has a point to where they shouldn't be forced to play sports they don't like... but just a physical education class doesn't hurt... Here the freshman phy ed is the same each year... then when your a junior in high school (3rd year) you can chose different things like cycling or bowling.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Plik on 07-13-2005 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
but a p.e. gcse isn't necessary for a job.. so some would say its a waste of time

Most schools dont have gcse pe as a compulsary subject, but you still have to do pe lessons, just not take the gcse.
I think its pretty important because it keeps students active (as veggie said) and it teaches them basic skills in life, like throwing and catching etc.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by M73A on 07-13-2005 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Madman

Most schools dont have gcse pe as a compulsary subject, but you still have to do pe lessons, just not take the gcse.
my schools its an option, but u take short coure p.e. if u dont choose to take it i think.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by M73A on 07-13-2005 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
:stupid:haha... just kidding... But agreed ... Otherwise you'd have kids that are overweight and they wouldn't have any initiative to take a phys ed course... So they probably wouldn't get any more excercise than walking between classes. But! Our school you only need two credits of phys ed... So two year long classes... or whatever. Freshman phy ed is required freshman year... so there's one right there, then when you take the other class or classes it's up to you.
phys ed classes arent changing weight, thats up to how they act and eat outside of school

but some exercises is better than none....
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by qgroessl on 07-13-2005 at 03:28 PM

quote:
phys ed classes arent changing weight, thats up to how they act and eat outside of school

I'm not saying their about changing weight... But keeping us kids active is benificial to fighting the obesity problem... Being American, it's a big issue here for schools to keep their kids active. It doesn't really help them lose weight (although some here are for strength training and cardio activity)... it's more to teach them working out (or doing physical activity) can make you feel better about yourself.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by qgroessl on 07-13-2005 at 03:31 PM

That's what I was saying before... freshman phys ed here you don't get much of a choice, but later in high school you can choose bowling, cycling, rollerblading... Fun things that you want to do....

quote:
but i dont think its essential, i mean, later on in  life, does anybody care how you did in P.E when your getting a job interview or something?

No, I don't think anybody really cares how you did in phy ed... But who really cares how you did in some of the shop classes if your bound to be something completely different.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by M73A on 07-13-2005 at 03:32 PM

quote:
true. But i just hate phys ed when we dont get a say and we play a sport everybody hates, they should have multible groups you can go intoto play different sports. Its probably like that in other places.
it's like that at my school... (Y) it's alright i suppose, but when its raining or freezing cold and you have to do it, its really not fair, teacher in jacket and everyone in rugby top and shorts etc..

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
    quote:Originally posted by Calvin
    but i dont think its essential, i mean, later on in  life, does anybody care how you did in P.E when your getting a job interview or something?

No, I don't think anybody really cares how you did in phy ed... But who really cares how you did in some of the shop classes if your bound to be something completely different.

true... depends on what carrer you go into / are interested in to whether that applies to you or not...

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by MC Inferno on 07-13-2005 at 03:35 PM

quote:
weight (although some here are for strength training and cardio activity)... it's more to teach them working out (or doing physical activity) can make you feel better about yourself.

PE is compulsery for the frist 3 years and then the last 2 years u can take it as GCSE. if you dont, u do one a weeek to keep in shape really but thats it. As for it being essenctial foer a job, it depends what you're going in for. Office? Nope. Physio? yes.

Persionallyl, i think PE should be dun more. the only problem wit it is little skinny * like me cant throw a  tennis ball, but meh. It still should be done, due to increasin weight problems and shit.

Edited by Chrono: swearing :dodgy:
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by gif83 on 07-13-2005 at 03:45 PM

quote:
true. But i just hate phys ed when we dont get a say and we play a sport everybody hates, they should have multible groups you can go intoto play different sports. Its probably like that in other places.

school isn't just about getting a job Calvin... so yes i think it is essential

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by qgroessl on 07-13-2005 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
school isn't just about getting a job Calvin... so yes i think it is essential

True that! School is about having fun too... So you could say that having a phy ed class is more of a goof-off class to keep you from going crazy sitting in a classroom 8 hours a day. Which, would make it essential still ;) haha...
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Veggie on 07-13-2005 at 04:05 PM

ITs just a plain health reason, otherwise kids will be more overweight than they are now. ITs not healthy to be overwieght, PE teaches people how to exersice properly and effectivly. It teaches people disapline.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by lopardo on 07-13-2005 at 04:26 PM

I'm glad I finished high school just for that, I really hated it... We played volleyball and handball, I really suck at volleyball...

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by *Saint* on 07-13-2005 at 05:08 PM

i know gym class is quebec is compolsury and depending on my schedule i have it 2 or 3 times a week for 50 minutes but my firsh high school in grade 7 we had it 1 time a week swimming 75 mins and 1 time normal gym 75 mins

and yes it is essential

i never really had a good gym teacher though, there were nice ones but they play garbage sports or we went canoeing in the river with 6 canoes for 30 people

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Stigmata on 07-13-2005 at 08:52 PM

i do believe it is.

amount of people overweight nowerdays....

anyway, RE is a pointless subject in my eyes, and its compulsory for me..

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by gif83 on 07-13-2005 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
anyway, RE is a pointless subject in my eyes, and its compulsory for me..

RE isn't really pointless if taught right... it helps you know more about other religions... hence having the knowledge not to offend others unintentionally. Ignorance can cause many problems in the world.

Of course a lot of places teach RE in the wrong way and use it as a way of preaching certain religions to people.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Stigmata on 07-13-2005 at 09:00 PM

we are only taught one religion, we do not go into others.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by gif83 on 07-13-2005 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
we are only taught one religion, we do not go into others.
yeah that's what i thought... that's really the wrong way to go about teaching RE...

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by user27089 on 07-13-2005 at 09:07 PM

P.E. is a compulsary subject, but it's just a lesson where you choose what you want to do, you aren't assessed and it doesn't add on to your final grade.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by M73A on 07-13-2005 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
P.E. is a compulsary subject, but it's just a lesson where you choose what you want to do, you aren't assessed and it doesn't add on to your final grade.

its optional in my school and u are assessed and have to write up reports on the coaching skills of other people in the class etc ¬¬

also. you get a C if u do the lesson. if you want anything higher, you HAVE to do a club like football or rugby... i'm quite gd at p.e. but the fact i refuse to play for a team means i will only ever get a C in P.E..... :dodgy:
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by user27089 on 07-13-2005 at 09:18 PM

You either have short gcse PE, or Long Course GCSE pe...

If you do S.W.I.F.T, then you have to do a short course style thing, but you don't get assessed, but you use up your free time.

If you don't do swift, then on a friday, last period, you have to do a PE lesson, but it's just a load of balls, there is no exams or anything, it's not GCSE, it's just wasting our time and their time really :rolleyes:.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Tandy on 07-13-2005 at 09:19 PM

At Our school its compulsory in year 8- half way through year ten, then we choose 6 senior subjects and you dont have to do PE.
I do though and im on an A :D

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by user27089 on 07-13-2005 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tandy
At Our school its compulsory in year 8- half way through year ten, then we choose 6 senior subjects and you dont have to do PE.
I do though and im on an A :D

That's pretty cool, I hate having to do it every friday, the teacher said I was a "discrace to my sex", because I didn't catch a ball in rounders, I mean wtf? They're all taking it so seriously, she looks like a man anyway, in fact, she is a man, a really fat,  ugly man, that's stupid.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Stigmata on 07-13-2005 at 09:23 PM

quote:

If you don't do swift, then on a friday, last period, you have to do a PE lesson, but it's just a load of balls, there is no exams or anything, it's not GCSE, it's just wasting our time and their time really :rolleyes:.

wasting time my ass...

its great fun, last thing on a friday... do whatever the fuck you want :)
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by user27089 on 07-13-2005 at 09:24 PM

It is one hell of a waste of time though if you don't like doing P.E.

You could be doing something useful, like, getting some coursework done?!

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Stigmata on 07-13-2005 at 09:34 PM

quote:
It is one hell of a waste of time though if you don't like doing P.E.

You could be doing something useful, like, getting some coursework done?!

and you dont enjoy rounders :P
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Joa on 07-13-2005 at 09:34 PM

quote:
is P.E./ Physical Education an Essential subject?

.. i think it is essential.

well.. if p.e. was taught correctly and people actually did something in it.. like actually played sports and stuff. (cuz in some places all they do is let people sit around)

i think it is essential because exercise and the introduction to it is healthy :-/ ... exercise/sports are good for you. especially when you are younger... for normal development.

and whether you like it or not, it is something that's necessary, cuz some kids don't get to or don't have the will to do any physical activities outside of a p.e. class.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by shine on 07-13-2005 at 11:05 PM

quote:

You will realise it later in your life..PE doesnt mean playing games...its doing exercises (most schools let students play which is not so boring way of exercising) and education about health,eating habits and work outs :P

* shine remembers the boring classes at school

Well its necessary..sice that when you know there is something like physical education :) although you will be bored by it, you will get some tips that will help you later in life and make you a better 'animal' :D
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by multimillion2k on 07-13-2005 at 11:34 PM

Having to do PE is like being made to eat your greens. It's not always the most enjoyable thing, but it keeps you healthier.

On the other hand, you shouldn't be forced to eat spinach and mushy minted peas every night. There are plenty of better alternatives, far healthier and far nicer..

Has anyone ever had a fat PE coach? How does that work?

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by ddunk on 07-13-2005 at 11:40 PM

I did, the even more ironic thing is he's head of the athletic department of our school....

Anyway, all the other teachers run and play with the kids, he just sits back and tells people what to do.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by tomfletcherman on 07-14-2005 at 01:30 PM

P.E is very important, it keeps the fitter people healthy and improves the unhealthy one's strength and general fitness. Some people are not very academic and they might not enjoy anything apart from P.E.

Saying all that I managed to be 'somewhere else' for most of the lessons during the last two years.

RE: RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by linx05 on 07-14-2005 at 02:06 PM

quote:
That's pretty cool, I hate having to do it every friday, the teacher said I was a "discrace to my sex", because I didn't catch a ball in rounders, I mean wtf? They're all taking it so seriously, she looks like a man anyway, in fact, she is a man, a really fat,  ugly man, that's stupid.

I hope you had a good come back to that!

As for Phys. ed, I don't really have a problem with that. They only made it compulsary about the time I finished school. I think with the weight epidemic sweeping the world, a little exercise is a good thing. Plus it's a good excuse to get out of the classroom.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by Eljay on 07-14-2005 at 03:16 PM

pfft i conveniently forgot my kit for the last 3 years

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by evil_panda on 07-14-2005 at 04:57 PM

I hate P.E because people laugh at me because i cant run or jump so i think it should be optional and if you want to do it you can but if you dont then your not forced to:)

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by gif83 on 07-14-2005 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by evil_panda
I hate P.E because people laugh at me because i cant run or jump so i think it should be optional and if you want to do it you can but if you dont then your not forced to:)

fair enough... but just remember it's not PE that's really the problem.. it's people's attitudes towards you.

PE isn't really just all about competition to see who's better or to see who's not so good. It's really about health. I guess the competition aspect of it just encourages some (not all) to continue staying active as it can be more fun.
RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by ayjay on 07-14-2005 at 06:03 PM

Haven't bothered to read the whole thread so someone might have already said it :P but imo it shouldn't be compulsory to make kids do PE. If they chose to do no sport and get fat and die, it's their own problem. I think it should at least be offered as an option though.

RE: Physical Education..... an essential subject? by ayjay on 07-14-2005 at 06:06 PM

quote:
the teacher said I was a "discrace to my sex"

:lol:

sorry :(

P.S. I got respect from the chavs last week! rofl. They all assumed I'm completely unfit just because I hate PE but we did a 5 mile cross-country and I came second :banana:. We got back in the changing rooms and all the chavs were high-fiving me :lol: