Shoutbox

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (/showthread.php?tid=47625)

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by saralk on 07-15-2005 at 04:09 PM

It is officially out in...

[Image: create.php]

I am so excited right now, here are my predictions about what i think is going to happen...

Please note that these are predictions and are not spoilers, post your predictions before midnight, and we will see who was right :p.

I am not a moderator, but please don't post what happens untill at least Monday, and if you do, clearly mark that you have posted a spoiler before you write it.

Death
I think that Dumbledore will die, it will happen about half-way through the book. He will die, because of a number of different reasons. Firstly, Dumbledore is Harry's mentor, Dumbledore has bailed Harry out of trouble in most of the books. He needs to die in the middle of book 6 because if he died at the beginning of book 6 it would set the tone of the rest of the book and the story wouldn't progress too much, if he died at the end, then there wouldn't be enough time to finish all the mourning before book 7 and if he died at the beginning of book 7, then the rest of book 7 would be about Dumbledore, when really it needs to all be about Harry. He also needs to die becuase Harry needs to realise that he is going to have to face Voldermort alone, and Dumbledore will not be bailing him out.

Spinners End
I was reading an article on mugglenet the other day, and it is very clever. JKR has said that there is a chapter called Spinners End, and this lead loads of disccussion about what it was.

[Image: jkr.JPG]

This spinner is found on the rubbish page on JK Rowling's Website, two of the arrows point to chewing gum wrappers.

While all this seems innocent enough, it is made interesting by this quote from Order of the Phoenex...

quote:
"Neville's mother had come edging down the ward in her nightdress [in St. Mungo's] She did not seem to want to speak, or perhaps she was not able to, but she made timid motions toward Neville, holding something in her outstretched hand.
"Again?" Said Mrs. Longbottom, sounding slightly weary, "Very well, Alice dear, very well-Neville, take it, whatever it is"
But Neville had already stretched out his hand, into which his mother dropped an empty Droobles Blowing Gum wrapper.
"Very nice, dear," said Neville's grandmother in a falsely cheery voice, patting his mother on the shoulder. But Neville said quietly, "Thanks Mum."
"Well, we'd better get back," sighed Mrs. Longbottom, drawing on long green gloves. "Very nice to have met you all. Neville, put that wrapper in the bin, she must have given you enough of them to paper your bedroom by now."
But as they left, Harry was sure he saw Neville slip the wrapper into his pocket."

This section lead to a huge debate about there being any significance in this innocent looking paragraph. JKR has said that she doesn't write things in the book for no reason, and she is known to leave clues on the website. This theory is further compounded by the fact that the webpage is the rubbish bin which is where Neville's grandma told him to put the gum wrappers.

Godric Gryffindor
JKR said that something he discovered in Chamber of Secrets is the key to who the Half Blood Prince is. So, in CoS he pulled out a sword from the sorting hat, and this sword was property of Godric Gryffindor, bearing in mind two things... 1) The sword was encrusted with diamonds and stuff and 2) Wizards don't really need a sword in the same way that muggles used to, since they can use wands for everything.

So, think about it, apart from battles, where else are swords used for? Royalty!, the queen knights people with her sword, so maybe the Half Blood Prince is Godric Gryffindor, also Harry's parents used to live in Godric's Hollow, before they died, and JKR has already said that there is something significant in the name.

Shipping

I think that in book 6, Ron and Hermione will get it on, but Harry will secretly love Hermione and on book 7, something major will happen, where he and Hermione hook up. But to keep him busy for book 6, he will either go out with Ginny or Luna.

Ginny can stand up to him, and is just the kind of gal to bring Harry back down to earth and put things in perspective.

Luna on the other hand has the amazing ability to be able to detatch herself from the rest of the world, and I think that Harry will need this when times get tough.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Concord Dawn on 07-15-2005 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
It is officially out in...

[Image: create.php]

I am so excited right now, here are my predictions about what i think is going to happen...

Please note that these are predictions and are not spoilers, post your predictions before midnight, and we will see who was right :p.

I am not a moderator, but please don't post what happens untill at least Monday, and if you do, clearly mark that you have posted a spoiler before you write it.

Death
I think that Dumbledore will die, it will happen about half-way through the book. He will die, because of a number of different reasons. Firstly, Dumbledore is Harry's mentor, Dumbledore has bailed Harry out of trouble in most of the books. He needs to die in the middle of book 6 because if he died at the beginning of book 6 it would set the tone of the rest of the book and the story wouldn't progress too much, if he died at the end, then there wouldn't be enough time to finish all the mourning before book 7 and if he died at the beginning of book 7, then the rest of book 7 would be about Dumbledore, when really it needs to all be about Harry. He also needs to die becuase Harry needs to realise that he is going to have to face Voldermort alone, and Dumbledore will not be bailing him out.

Spinners End
I was reading an article on mugglenet the other day, and it is very clever. JKR has said that there is a chapter called Spinners End, and this lead loads of disccussion about what it was.

[Image: jkr.JPG]

This spinner is found on the rubbish page on JK Rowling's Website, two of the arrows point to chewing gum wrappers.

While all this seems innocent enough, it is made interesting by this quote from Order of the Phoenex...

This section lead to a huge debate about there being any significance in this innocent looking paragraph. JKR has said that she doesn't write things in the book for no reason, and she is known to leave clues on the website. This theory is further compounded by the fact that the webpage is the rubbish bin which is where Neville's grandma told him to put the gum wrappers.

Godric Gryffindor
JKR said that something he discovered in Chamber of Secrets is the key to who the Half Blood Prince is. So, in CoS he pulled out a sword from the sorting hat, and this sword was property of Godric Gryffindor, bearing in mind two things... 1) The sword was encrusted with diamonds and stuff and 2) Wizards don't really need a sword in the same way that muggles used to, since they can use wands for everything.

So, think about it, apart from battles, where else are swords used for? Royalty!, the queen knights people with her sword, so maybe the Half Blood Prince is Godric Gryffindor, also Harry's parents used to live in Godric's Hollow, before they died, and JKR has already said that there is something significant in the name.

Shipping

I think that in book 6, Ron and Hermione will get it on, but Harry will secretly love Hermione and on book 7, something major will happen, where he and Hermione hook up. But to keep him busy for book 6, he will either go out with Ginny or Luna.

Ginny can stand up to him, and is just the kind of gal to bring Harry back down to earth and put things in perspective.

Luna on the other hand has the amazing ability to be able to detatch herself from the rest of the world, and I think that Harry will need this when times get tough.

Why not stop predicting stuff and wait till the book comes out? That way you can drool about it AFTER you've read it.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by SikStyles on 07-15-2005 at 04:24 PM

lol i even havent finised the 2nd book :grin:

not really interested in it .. :-/

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Joe on 07-15-2005 at 04:30 PM

* Joe waited 'til midnight for Halo 2... and he'll be waiting for this also

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Dane on 07-15-2005 at 04:44 PM

I'm drooling now.  My copy is Pre-Reserved at Target in St. Paul...cant wait till they open tommorow at 8AM.  I do agree with most of your predictions though.

RE: RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Garndell on 07-15-2005 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I'm drooling now.  My copy is Pre-Reserved at Target in St. Paul...cant wait till they open tommorow at 8AM.  I do agree with most of your predictions though.

You hear that the pope congratulated an author that criticised Harry.  Apparently the Pope think's it's evil, lol.... so do I though.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Concord Dawn on 07-15-2005 at 06:26 PM

Pft, they should all stuff themselves. Rowling has taught lots of kids how fun it is to read, and I think that outweighs any questionable content.

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by saralk on 07-15-2005 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Why not stop predicting stuff and wait till the book comes out? That way you can drool about it AFTER you've read it.

Because I find it very interesting, I write articles for a huge Harry Potter website called MuggleNet, and when the book is out, I can say "see i was right" or "damn, maybe i will be luckier next time"

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by .Roy on 07-15-2005 at 07:30 PM

Happy :)

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by yukaili on 07-15-2005 at 07:30 PM

My desktop counter sais it was TEN hours, not THREE!

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by .Roy on 07-15-2005 at 07:33 PM

guess your desktop counter is incorrect. Go fix it ;)

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Dane on 07-15-2005 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
You hear that the pope congratulated an author that criticised Harry.  Apparently the Pope think's it's evil, lol.... so do I though.

Yes, the pope sucks though in that way (sorry if this offends you), but I dont give a **** what the pope says, As Chaotic_Shield says, the Harry Potter series has inspired so many kids and adults alike to read.  All that stupid **** the pope says is so dumb, Its not like any of the stuff in the books is true, its fiction, all this bull**** about corrupting kids' souls is just an excuse for the Catholic Church to get a little bit of attention.
RE: RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Garndell on 07-15-2005 at 09:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Garndell

Yes, the pope sucks though in that way (sorry if this offends you), but I dont give a **** what the pope says, As Chaotic_Shield says, the Harry Potter series has inspired so many kids and adults alike to read.  All that stupid **** the pope says is so dumb, Its not like any of the stuff in the books is true, its fiction, all this bull**** about corrupting kids' souls is just an excuse for the Catholic Church to get a little bit of attention.

Hey, i'm a Satanist.  I just find it amusing how I can actually agree with his dislike of HP.  In my educated view, Terry Partchett's Discworld Series is more entertaining and pokes fun at anything & everything it can.  It can be taken seriously and has humour aimed at both kids & adults.  If you think otherwise yet have not read any of the Discworld series then you're missing out.

My cousin got halfway through the 3rd HP book and he got bored of it.  Now he is not only reading the Discworld series, but playing the games too.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by emit on 07-15-2005 at 09:37 PM

Terry Pratchett has the world's most boring writing style though. Before you criticise I've read the whole Discworld series and played the games and I still think they are some of the most boring books ever. Pratchett writes inanely and substandardly. Only interesting book was the Science of Discworld, but only cause I know the son of the co-author Jack Cohen. While Harry Potter may be pitched at children it is still well written enough to be entertaining, and a lot of imagination has gone into it, far more than Pratchett possesses. Anyway, if you wanna read a proper book, like you claim Discworld is, go buy everything by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

As for Harry Potter... I don't think Dumbledore will die, I think Neville will. And I think Harry will get with Cho.

Just my two pennies (read: cents).

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tandy on 07-15-2005 at 09:38 PM

hA HA,  i can actually buy the book in 1 and a half hours! you guys have to wait till tomorrow morning!

Tandy

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by emit on 07-15-2005 at 09:45 PM

Tandy: shops in the UK and US are opening at midnight specially to sell the book. so the UK will have it in an hour and 15 minutes too.

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Zephyr on 07-15-2005 at 11:26 PM

Well, it's been out for about 25 minutes now and i can't wait to get it. I'm going to get it in later this morning, maybe about 8 o'clock. Can't wait to see what happens.

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by M73A on 07-15-2005 at 11:42 PM

post hu got killed

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Zephyr on 07-15-2005 at 11:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
post hu got killed

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, i'll keep it to myself, but i suspect that soon everyone will know who dies whether they've read the book or not.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by mwe99 on 07-15-2005 at 11:50 PM

Yeah, please don't spoil the plot for everyone :(

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by M73A on 07-15-2005 at 11:54 PM

anyone who knows... can you PM hu gets killed....
ta

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tandy on 07-16-2005 at 03:09 AM

ive read 70 pages of it, no 1's been killed yet :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by -dt- on 07-16-2005 at 03:51 AM

[Image: msn_grin.gif] just got it , starting reading it nowish

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Joe on 07-16-2005 at 04:23 AM

Chapter 3 bizznatch

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.J on 07-16-2005 at 05:41 AM

I just got the book

* TD runs around the room madly

wooo :grin: I'm so excited :tongue:

These are the only books i read...I CANT WAIT :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Anubis on 07-16-2005 at 07:46 AM

I can't wait to read this book, the books have been getting constantly darker; I really hope this one isn't pure dark, since without any lighter moments in the book it risks sucking. However OOTP didn't seem to have that many lighter moments, yet still managed to be a fantastic book. I have the summer holidays to read it, but unfortunately I also have to read Pride and Prejudice for English Lit, I just hope I don't get the two confused, its confusing reading two books side-by-side :p.

quote:
Originally posted by Sasuke
books are for prisoners, poor people, and people with no cable.
Utter Uber-BS.
It takes a certain kind of intelligence to be able to sit down and concentrate on a book.
With a TV you are just sent audio and visual streams. And the bulk of it doesn't require much intelligence to work out what is going on, there are many exceptions to that rule, but still it is mostly true.
However with books like this, it lets you go deeper into the story and actually improves skills such as imagination without you even knowing.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tandy on 07-16-2005 at 08:06 AM

chapter 6 woot!

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by saralk on 07-16-2005 at 08:37 AM

some interesting facts...

• Due to book discounts and free shipping offers online booksellers like Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble will make no money off of the pre sales of "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince", but must rely entirely on the sale of other books on the same customer order.

• Friday evening more people lined up at bookstores for the release of "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" than for the opening night of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith".

• Contrary to the belief that the Harry Potter book series encourages literacy by its mere popularity, most fans of Harry Potter do not read books unrelated to the series.

• Due to massive presales for "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" UPS and FedEx drivers are currently processing more packages than at any time of year other than Christmas.

• "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" marks the first Harry Potter book which publishers in other countries will change the location of Hogwarts and the ethnicity of the characters to match their own audience

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by L. Coyote on 07-16-2005 at 09:09 AM

quote:
"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" marks the first Harry Potter book which publishers in other countries will change the location of Hogwarts and the ethnicity of the characters to match their own audience
O_o? WTF?

I've never read the Harry Potter books... *-) I dunno, it sounds childish. My mom was like:" I'll buy you the book for your bday." 8-) Meh, how would I understand anything? lol, she'd have to buy all 6.

Though all this advertising is kind of doing what it's meant to do... I'm getting curious. Why everyone likes HP? What's so good about it? Or is it just to be "cool"? Don't answer, these are my thoughts.

I might end up buying the first book. Would be interesting to get the answers to the previous questions... *-)
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by saralk on 07-16-2005 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
Though all this advertising is kind of doing what it's meant to do... I'm getting curious. Why everyone likes HP? What's so good about it? Or is it just to be "cool"? Don't answer, these are my thoughts.

I like Harry Potter because its a great book, JKR is a really talented writer, who has the ability to write in such a manner that it is accessible to all ages. People who are really young appreciate the book on a superficial level, just following the main storyline, but older readers understand the deeper meanings behind the book and realise that it is as sophisticated as something by Tolkein.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Nathan on 07-16-2005 at 12:30 PM

I'm on chapter 12. I'm reading like mad.
There's only one thing that i dont like the waay J.K rowling wirtes:
She begins so boring you just want to throw it away.
But everything else is sound :)
P.S no ones been killled yet

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tasha on 07-16-2005 at 12:51 PM

I'm on chapter 12 too. :)
Oh, just a note, no-one post here whatt happens, because it's unfair to spoil it for those who haven't already had a chance to read it, or finish reading it, and don't want it spoiled.

quote:
She begins so boring you just want to throw it away.

I find the start of the books quite interesting, and whats in the opening is vital to the rest of the book really, or else it wouldn't be there. :p
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Nathan on 07-16-2005 at 01:41 PM

Yeah but this one's i couldnt get the hook straight away i got bored with it. But know i can't put it down :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by ayjay on 07-16-2005 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I find the start of the books quite interesting, and whats in the opening is vital to the rest of the book really, or else it wouldn't be there.

Usually but the start of book 4 was pretty crap.

On page 127. Don't want to read it fast, I'll end up missing out and forgetting bits from the beginning then all 607 pages will be wasted :P
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tasha on 07-16-2005 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
quote:
I find the start of the books quite interesting, and whats in the opening is vital to the rest of the book really, or else it wouldn't be there.

Usually but the start of book 4 was pretty crap.

On page 127. Don't want to read it fast, I'll end up missing out and forgetting bits from the beginning then all 607 pages will be wasted :P

I found the start of book four incredibly boring, but it does say some things that are useful later in the book.
I'm on chapter 18. :banana:
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by ayjay on 07-16-2005 at 02:40 PM

you'll regret it when you get near the end :P

when I remembered it came out today i knew for a fact i would come up to the comp and find a thread made by saralk :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by King For A Day on 07-16-2005 at 04:10 PM

i havent got it yet but i think ill buy it at the airport for a holidy read like i did with the last ones

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 04:44 PM

Its released 17 hours back .... i was in class today (1st day :banana:) .... i went to a shop during the break and saw a copy of HP:HBP :'( I wanted it :sad:
Yeah ill get it after a month or two cause then ill get it at a lesser rate and ill have finished my copy of DVC (Da vinci code) which i havent got time to study due to admissions :dodgy:
Best of luck and congrats to those who got it .....

In the biggest mall in my city .... children (small ones .... 8 - 10) were worried that after the bought the book and were roaming about in the mall they would be kidnapped cause of the book or someone would take it or the book store will be looted to take the books so there was actually extra security for that. I saw this in the news and i was like :lol:
The books came in the store there at 4.30 am when we were |-) so you know that you will get your copy 1st thing in the morning ;)

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by aNILEator on 07-16-2005 at 04:45 PM

i remember the last book coming out online and i downloaded a fake version but it was still quite an interesting read i thought it was actually better than the official version :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
i remember the last book coming out online and i downloaded a fake version but it was still quite an interesting read i thought it was actually better than the official version :P
Yeah i remember the fake ebook :dodgy:
* John Anderton slaps fake ebook makers around a bit with a large trout.
Damn i havent got a copy .... if some one says anything about it and i read it ..... ill kill the person :blah:
And saral ..... i think its obvious that more people stand in line for HP books than SW tickets cause no of HP books > no of tickets :P
On the 1st day i mean :P
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by saralk on 07-16-2005 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
Yeah i remember the fake ebook :dodgy:
* John Anderton slaps fake ebook makers around a bit with a large trout.
Damn i havent got a copy .... if some one says anything about it and i read it ..... ill kill the person :blah:
And saral ..... i think its obvious that more people stand in line for HP books than SW tickets cause no of HP books > no of tickets :P
On the 1st day i mean :P

I tihnk they were talking about total numbers.

I am on page 237, and I think that this book had an awesome start to it. I was enthralled (sp? is that even a word?) from the first word.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Nathan on 07-16-2005 at 06:35 PM

After a couple of hours i'm on page 578! Seriosly good so far! I want the next one to come out soon :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by mwe99 on 07-16-2005 at 06:39 PM

I havent bought it yet :(

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tasha on 07-16-2005 at 07:50 PM

I just finished it. It's a really good book, but I won't spoil it for any of you. :p I'll just say that some parts are really unexpected. :o

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 07:53 PM

quote:
I just finished it. It's a really good book, but I won't spoil it for any of you. :p I'll just say that some parts are really unexpected. :o
* John Anderton slaps tasha for the second time in 15 mins a bit around with a large trout because of finishing reading the whole book in one day
* John Anderton slaps tasha for a fourth time for not doing anything the whole day except reading the book
* John Anderton pets tasha for not ruining it for everybody ;)
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by mwe99 on 07-16-2005 at 07:53 PM

lol i might get it later or tomorrow :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 07:57 PM

I wont get it for some time to come :'(
I wanna know the story .... i feel like asking it and be the 1st one here to know it all :fire:
But no .... i knew sirus would die last time (some jacka** told it out loud :@ i :blah: him :dodgy:) and i hated it :-/ It wasnt the same :sad:

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 08:53 PM

Mods please edit ajd's post so as to save the others :dodgy:
If the ppl on irc ruined it .... u did the same here :dodgy:
I knew it already tho :P

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by L. Coyote on 07-16-2005 at 09:09 PM

8-) You people are so supportive...

Truly, what is the point of spoiling things to others? It just shows how selfish you are... :dodgy:

* L. Coyote came late (yay!) and still has a chance... :banana:

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tasha on 07-16-2005 at 09:12 PM

quote:
8-) You people are so supportive...

Truly, what is the point of spoiling things to others? It just shows how selfish you are... :dodgy:

yeah, thats what I think. If someone asks me to tell them what happens, then I tell them, otherwise I don't let on that goes on. You'll see that I have said that people shouldn't post spoilers after they have read it, and I myself said, when I finished it, that I wouldn't post anything. :p

RE: RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by emit on 07-16-2005 at 09:12 PM

quote:
I like Harry Potter because its a great book, JKR is a really talented writer, who has the ability to write in such a manner that it is accessible to all ages. People who are really young appreciate the book on a superficial level, just following the main storyline, but older readers understand the deeper meanings behind the book and realise that it is as sophisticated as something by Tolkein.

Harry Potter is nowhere near as sophisticated as anything by Tolkien. JKR just doesn't write with that sort of depth, the language and vocabulary are too simple to be compared to Tolkien. That doesn't make it any less enjoyable though, because afterall it is a nice bit of escapist fantasy.

I finished the book about 3 hours ago. Good read; and I won't spoil.
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Harry Potter is nowhere near as sophisticated as anything by Tolkien. JKR just doesn't write with that sort of depth, the language and vocabulary are too simple to be compared to Tolkien. That doesn't make it any less enjoyable though, because afterall it is a nice bit of escapist fantasy.

I finished the book about 3 hours ago. Good read; and I won't spoil.
Thanks for no spoilers like me even tho i asked for the story as i wont get the book till a month or two :'(

But JRK has a certain touch to the story ... its fun :D

I think mods are unlucky cause they have to remove the spoilers in public interest and end up reading it :'(
Dodgy spoilers givers :blah:

I feel sorry for all the people who read ajd's post before reading the book :sad: and any one else who heard it without wanting to :P
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by L. Coyote on 07-16-2005 at 09:22 PM

In the news they were asking kids "who died?"

WTF? That's crazy and stupid. :@

Instead of talking about serious stuff, they go around asking kids who died in a story. :dodgy:

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-16-2005 at 09:24 PM

quote:
In the news they were asking kids "who died?"

WTF? That's crazy and stupid. :@

Instead of talking about serious stuff, they go around asking kids who died in a story. :dodgy:
I cared more about the profecy :-/
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by L. Coyote on 07-16-2005 at 09:52 PM

quote:
What profecy? What did I miss? O_o
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Tandy on 07-16-2005 at 10:15 PM

im on page 200 :(, damn you all fast readers!

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by SikStyles on 07-17-2005 at 05:56 AM

bah i think i need to start reading HP books lol :P i finished 1st and didnt finish 2nd i guess i'll pick it up again i dunno

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by John Anderton on 07-17-2005 at 06:02 AM

quote:
quote:
What profecy? What did I miss? O_o
Book 5 profecy .... harry will kill Tom or vice versa ....
Tom = Tom Riddle = Tom M. Riddle = Tom Marvolo Riddle = Lord Voldemort
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by -dt- on 07-17-2005 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
i got the book lastnight :D
im up to chapter 10
Ive finished it , finished it about an hour after i woke up today (of course i read for about 7 hours yesterday)
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Nathan on 07-17-2005 at 09:21 AM

I've finished know! I've beaten my record. 607 pages in a day.
I want the next one to come out now :(

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by FrozernFire on 07-17-2005 at 11:44 AM

i have finished the book, and imo, (spoiler warning: scroll down fast if you haven't read the book)

the book sucked compared to OotP. too much information but too little pages

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by mwe99 on 07-17-2005 at 12:10 PM

im off to go buy a copy now :D and read it on my way to the beach

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Nathan on 07-17-2005 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
im off to go buy a copy now :D and read it on my way to the beach

You won't be able to put the book down :P Go swimming with it :P
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by hmaster on 07-17-2005 at 01:34 PM

Great book. I wonder how long the last book will be, its supposed to be shorter then order

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Omar on 07-17-2005 at 11:56 PM

I finished the book today... (got it yesterday) and I got to say... is good enough setup for book 7...

Still Book 4 is the best... :P

Im listening at the HP6 audiobook atm... Jim Dale is great as always.... (y)

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by qgroessl on 07-18-2005 at 01:03 AM

hmm... supposed to get my copy tonight... If Target is still open... haha... I hope so! I didn't expect to get it for a couple months! But it's only like $16 at target... So we're gonna get it!

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Dane on 07-18-2005 at 04:01 AM

Well, I like it so far.  Im on about page 362 right now (No one has died yet!), and its been really "edge-of-your-seat".  In fact, im going to go read more in a moment.  I got it yesterday at 9PM, so i've gotten through half the book in less than a day :D.

Also just a sidenote, a FAKE eBook has leaked claiming to be HP6, its funny though, whoever took the time to write all 287 pages was funny....they didnt even ATTEMPT to write like J.K. Rowling and its SO laughable what happens during it because its so cheesy.  I might post it on my blog for public downloading/viewing.

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by saralk on 07-18-2005 at 09:03 AM

quote:
Well, I like it so far.  Im on about page 362 right now (No one has died yet!), and its been really "edge-of-your-seat".  In fact, im going to go read more in a moment.  I got it yesterday at 9PM, so i've gotten through half the book in less than a day :D.

Also just a sidenote, a FAKE eBook has leaked claiming to be HP6, its funny though, whoever took the time to write all 287 pages was funny....they didnt even ATTEMPT to write like J.K. Rowling and its SO laughable what happens during it because its so cheesy.  I might post it on my blog for public downloading/viewing.

yeah, i heard about that, my friend said to me on msn "isn't it really strange how dudley has become a wizard?"
RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by TylerG on 07-18-2005 at 05:08 PM

Yeah I got Harry Potter Yesterday and finished it in less than 24 hours:P  Wish the other one was out. I want to discuss the ending, but I won't ruin it for anyone.

RE: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by crank on 07-18-2005 at 08:56 PM

I'm gonna have to wait, i want to read it in dutch, not that i can't read a book in english but some words and names are diffirent so i'm gonna have to wait till november...
i do know some stuff already because of some spoiler on gprime.net... it was a funny thing tho