Shoutbox

DVD Rom Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DVD Rom Question (/showthread.php?tid=47809)

DVD Rom Question by Pr0xY on 07-20-2005 at 03:57 AM

Is there a way to find out if my DVD rom drive on my laptop is capible of copying the movie to my hard drive.  Or can any DVD Rom drive do it.  I just want to make sure before I download a program for it. 

Also, What are some good programs that you would suggest me using.

Thanks

RE: DVD Rom Question by L. Coyote on 07-20-2005 at 04:08 AM

From what I understand, any DVD-ROM drive can do it. You just might have to play the movie before ripping it.

Edit: I assume you're talking about ripping.

#1 DVD Ripper is a good ripper, but it needs a serial code. Someone also suggested AutoGordianKnot, but I haven't tried it.

RE: DVD Rom Question by Garndell on 07-20-2005 at 05:10 AM

You could try ratDVD which copies the Menu's & Special Features aswell.  It comes out at roughly 1.5GB but the quality is excellent.  Also, it's completely FREE!

RE: DVD Rom Question by Pr0xY on 07-20-2005 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
It comes out at roughly 1.5GB but the quality is excellent.  Also, it's completely FREE!
* Pr0xY has a heart attack...

Wow thanks but I'll pass on that one.  Any other good ones out there?

RE: DVD Rom Question by NiteMare on 07-20-2005 at 08:16 AM

from what i understand, all DVD rippers are going to rip large files because of the quality of the DVD, and the fact that DVDs are so much larger then VCDs or CDs (refering to file size on the disk), don't know if that helps much

RE: DVD Rom Question by linx05 on 07-20-2005 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
Is there a way to find out if my DVD rom drive on my laptop is capible of copying the movie to my hard drive.  Or can any DVD Rom drive do it.  I just want to make sure before I download a program for it. 

Also, What are some good programs that you would suggest me using.

Thanks

If your DVD Rom is a Reader/Writer than it can play and burn movies. If it just just a reader, than you can only watch it (rip it). You can see if it is by looking at the label (image). Or by right clicking on it and going into the properties (image). I would suggest you download DVD Decrypter (Download Link). Although it has been shut down thanks to the wonderful people of Macrovision it can rip pretty much any DVD. If you have any trouble you might want to try DVDFab Decrypter. It doesn't have many options (can't disable PUOs) but it does the trick.

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
You could try ratDVD which copies the Menu's & Special Features aswell.  It comes out at roughly 1.5GB but the quality is excellent.  Also, it's completely FREE!
That doesn't handle encrypted content. Only DVDs which have been decrypted by DVD Decryptor for example.

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
Someone also suggested AutoGordianKnot, but I haven't tried it.
AutoGordianKnot doesn't rip DVDs. You would need a program like DVD Decrypter for that.

A good place for guides on how to successfully rip a DVD is doom9.org.
RE: DVD Rom Question by ShawnZ on 07-20-2005 at 08:53 AM

Dvdshrink >  *.

RE: DVD Rom Question by L. Coyote on 07-20-2005 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Regexp
Someone also suggested AutoGordianKnot, but I haven't tried it.[/QUOTE]AutoGordianKnot doesn't rip DVDs. You would need a program like DVD Decrypter for that.
Oops, my bad. :tongue: I misread the thread of a ripping forum then...