Shoutbox

Windows Vista - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Vista (/showthread.php?tid=47922)

Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 04:42 AM

quote:
You heard it first here! The official new name for the Longhorn operating system is Microsoft Windows Vista, according to our insider sources. The name was mentioned today at the Microsoft sales conference in Atlanta. The official announcement will go live at 6 AM PST.

http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=30777

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000843051462/#comments

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1839724,00.asp

http://bink.nu/Article4551.bink

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=29592&category=main

RE: Windows Vista by blackjack on 07-22-2005 at 04:45 AM

That name really sucks :( i prefer Longhorn =/.. well done finding that News Guido :)!

RE: Windows Vista by L. Coyote on 07-22-2005 at 04:48 AM

Indeed... Windows View/Vista? :S

Longhorn sounded... I dunno, kind of futuristic and cooler. Windows Vista sounds old...

RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 04:51 AM

I like Vista, actually... as mentioned all over the web, remember how you reacted to "XP" the first time you heard it?

Could be better, could be worse. It's a name after all, and we'll forget about it once we get used to name it like that.

RE: Windows Vista by blackjack on 07-22-2005 at 04:54 AM

But the problem is that we get used to ''Longhorn'' :S.. it was sexy, :P but well.. youre right. time will tell :P Windows hasta la Vista baby :)

RE: Windows Vista by L. Coyote on 07-22-2005 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk
But the problem is that we get used to ''Longhorn'' :S.. it was sexy, :P but well.. youre right. time will tell :P Windows hasta la Vista baby :)
:rofl: Instead of a BSOD you'll see Arnold and "Hasta la Vista, baby" on a crash.
RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
quote:
:rofl: Instead of a BSOD you'll see Arnold and "Hasta la Vista, baby" on a crash.
:o That's a million dollar idea for an easter egg :P
quote:
Windows hasta la Vista baby :)
That joke will be old and tired in... 13 seconds :gfdrin:

RE: Windows Vista by mwe99 on 07-22-2005 at 05:12 AM

Hm.. im still a little iffy on the name, not so sure whether I like it... I'll keep saying it in my head... Windows Vista...Windows Vista...Windows Vista...

And then the decision Vista or Longhorn, Longhorn or Vista... maybe they'll rethink it depending on what people think

RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
And then the decision Vista or Longhorn, Longhorn or Vista... maybe they'll rethink it depending on what people think
Or maybe not :P  I don't see them naming it Longhorn, despite all the hype the name has.

1st, don't forget Vista has a meaning in LOTS of languages. Longhorn only means something in English, and it's already pretty ridiculous to compare an OS with a horn :P

2nd, by keeping the name they'll keep all the psychological bad image. Vista sounds new, Longhorn sounds like the same thing that has been slowly moving over the last 3 years.
RE: Windows Vista by Mnjul on 07-22-2005 at 06:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
1st, don't forget Vista has a meaning in LOTS of languages. Longhorn only means something in English, and it's already pretty ridiculous to compare an OS with a horn
Sorry but I guess the letters "Vista" mean nothing in Chinese :p

Well, I prefer Windows X2 or Windows X6 considering its version number. Anyway, Vista just sounds that... well, a little bit, Microsoft has done nothing in it so that we need "more vista".
RE: Windows Vista by Chrono on 07-22-2005 at 06:28 AM

i dont like the name actually, but it's true that we will get used to it eventually :P

"-hey which windws do you have?
-Vista"

:S :P

RE: Windows Vista by -dt- on 07-22-2005 at 06:47 AM

[Image: xso_undecided.gif] prefered the codename longhorn lol windows vista just sounds bad..

RE: RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Not any less than XP does, nor Windows did, for that matter. That's why I didn't say "in every language" or "in lots of languages such as chinese" :P - You can't argue, however, that this has a much more global potential as a brand than, say, Windows ME (Millennium Edition) or Windows XP (experience).
quote:
Well, I prefer Windows X2 or Windows X6 considering its version number.
OK, cool, now think for a second. Which name is "cooler" and more catchy from an average consumer perspective, from an international marketing mission and from a retail store package, Windows Vista or Windows X2? Which sounds stronger? Newer? "Bigger"? What will stay stronger in the mind of the consumer, "Vista" or a random letter and a random number? Vista means vista. X2 for the great majority means...?

quote:
Anyway, Vista just sounds that... well, a little bit, Microsoft has done nothing in it so that we need "more vista".
Hmm actually, you can bet they'll market it the other way around. Longhorn is the "vista" you want to see, something new, something "revolutionary" that's coming from the horizon to replace old, ancient windows versions (i.e. xp). Not that that's what will happen, just that's what the name goes after psychologically.
RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~Fusion~
I dont think the name sounds modern enough, or incredibly up-to-date. I wish i was called something like Windows .Net or even Longhorn. They both sound much better IMO
I just dont really think it sounds cutting edge :S...
.Net was announced over 5 years ago, the name being used since in many of Microsoft products. The name Longhorn has been used for around 3 years for an OS that has been trashed by certain sectors of the press and it's been a name used to publicly ridiculize the OS in development for supposedly being a reskinned re-release of Windows XP. How's that for names that sound cutting edge, incredibly up-to-date? :-/

(plus, remember the main problem: ordinary people who don't know why Windows.Net would not be an internet URL or why the hell the new Windows version has a head with horns)

Starting over with a clean, abstract, "interesting" name like this one is in my opinion a good choice. People who knew about Longhorn will now Vista is it, anyway. Ordinary people will get a nice first impression of "Vista... why is it called like this...? Oh, look at all those transparent windows, I can see a blurred wallpaper in them... oh, everything animates...!", etc.
RE: Windows Vista by Eljay on 07-22-2005 at 10:46 AM

i like the name vista actually

* Eljay runs from all the longhorn loving people with pitchforks

RE: Windows Vista by user35870 on 07-22-2005 at 10:48 AM

I don't really like the name "vista" I would like longhorn or sumin. :undecided:

RE: Windows Vista by mad_onion on 07-22-2005 at 11:35 AM

hmm it certainly is an interesting choice. they seems to have not taken the easy route and have actually gone for an interesting name... that doesnt mean people will like it though.
i would have much preferred Windows6 but thats the way it goes you cant have everything :)

RE: Windows Vista by ShawnZ on 07-22-2005 at 01:06 PM

Of courese no one here likes the new name, well most people that is, but think if you were a customer, would Windows Longhorn be the.. erm.. most normal product you'd find in a computer store?

Can you picture some average family buying a computer with an operating system called longhorn on it? They'd be thinking 'wtf' when the guy tells them the name of it 8-)

RE: Windows Vista by Zephyr on 07-22-2005 at 01:32 PM

Personally, i like Vista and as people have already said, before we know it, we will all be saying it without thinking about the name.

We have all got used to longhorn, but it's true what ShawnZ said about it being quite a wierd name for an OS.

RE: Windows Vista by mad_onion on 07-22-2005 at 02:15 PM

and now there is an official windows vista page.
its in my sig :)

RE: Windows Vista by lopardo on 07-22-2005 at 04:58 PM

First reaction: laugh, now that I realize it's actually gonna be called like that: puke. :P

Guido, you can say all you want about marketing and all that crap :P, but I'd prefer something more technical, like Mnjul.

RE: Windows Vista by mwe99 on 07-22-2005 at 05:16 PM

Actually starting to quite like the name now, sounds modern :) whereas longhorn (vikings lol)

RE: Windows Vista by saralk on 07-22-2005 at 05:28 PM

I think the name is a good solid name. When Windows XP came out, I thaught it sounded really cool, but to be honest it just sounds kind of lame now. But vista, while it is not amazingly eye catching, people will buy it because it is a good piece of software, and within a few years time, while people won't be like WOW, they won't think "LAME"

RE: Windows Vista by Zephyr on 07-22-2005 at 05:30 PM

This is the video of when the name was revealed.

mms://wm.microsoft.com/ms/msnse/0507/25234/win_name_mbr.wmv

RE: Windows Vista by guanako on 07-22-2005 at 05:49 PM

Update: Steven Bink along with numerous other Windows enthusiast site admins have suggested we nickname Vista "WinVi". "Vi is the first two letters of Vista, and Windows Vista is Windows NT 6.0. In Roman Numerals VI is the number six." ActiveWin is reporting that the official tagline for WinVi is "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world."source

RE: Windows Vista by Zephyr on 07-22-2005 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
ActiveWin is reporting that the official tagline for WinVi is "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world."

Yeah that's true. It's on the video i posted above.
RE: Windows Vista by lizard.boy on 07-22-2005 at 06:32 PM

calling vista longhorn forever would be like alling xp whistler forever. it could possibly work but it probably wouldnt be right.

RE: Windows Vista by TylerG on 07-22-2005 at 06:51 PM

At first I didn't like the name, but now since I have heard it a bit, it has a nice ring to it:)

RE: Windows Vista by Fr@nKy on 07-22-2005 at 06:57 PM

I would prefer Windows Vision!! Since that Vista means Sight in Portuguese!! Windows Vision would sound great! I think!

RE: Windows Vista by TylerG on 07-22-2005 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UrbanDictionary.com
4.  vista
one who is f***** up in the head; retard
the vista decided to discuss the history of the hamburfer for an hour at the baseball game
  I guess windows is releasing their best operating system yet:P
RE: Windows Vista by Omar on 07-22-2005 at 07:06 PM

sounds like a car from the 60's... They might as well named the product Windows Carnivale... :P

RE: RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Guido, you can say all you want about marketing and all that crap :P, but I'd prefer something more technical, like Mnjul.
You can bet that they did their homework and chose a "marketing-crap" name instead of a technical name because it's the best for them. They're not appealing to the developer with their OS brand names, they're hunting customers.
RE: Windows Vista by Maniac on 07-22-2005 at 09:55 PM

I've got one thing to say: :rofl:

Stupid name IMO... XP might not make sense or whatever but it's short and sweet... they had years before then XP sounds "new"

but vista? it sounds too spanish (not necessarly bad but i dunno makes me think it's just the spanish name or something...) and it's too... yuk

RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
but vista? it sounds too spanish (not necessarly bad but i dunno makes me think it's just the spanish name or something...) and it's too... yuk
Vista is an english word too :-/
RE: Windows Vista by Tasha on 07-22-2005 at 10:26 PM

Vista means View in Spanish, and I reckon that may be what they were naming it after. (Windows.. View.. get it?)
I think it's going to be really cool, the video sure is. :p But I think Longhorn sounded better, :p

RE: Windows Vista by Maniac on 07-22-2005 at 10:30 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Vista is an english word too :-/

english word meaning what? view too? didn't know that :s
RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-22-2005 at 10:30 PM

Vista means sight in English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese...

vis·ta
-A distant view or prospect, especially one seen through an opening, as between rows of buildings or trees.
-An avenue or other passage affording such a view.
-An awareness of a range of time, events, or subjects; a broad mental view: “the deep and sweeping vistas these pioneering critics opened up” (Arthur C. Danto).
n : the visual percept of a region; "the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views" [syn: view, aspect, prospect, scene, panorama]

RE: Windows Vista by [MR] on 07-23-2005 at 12:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanDictionary.com
4.  vista
one who is f***** up in the head; retard
the vista decided to discuss the history of the hamburfer for an hour at the baseball game
  I guess windows is releasing their best operating system yet:P

i dont really like the name b/c its like windows vista, the retarded version.
RE: Windows Vista by multimillion2k on 07-23-2005 at 02:48 AM

When I hear vista, I think of a place where the view is spectacular, the weather is perfect and there is a butler serving wine to you and your lady as you sit on the balcony of your countryside manor.
From my experience with Microsoft products, I have a strange feeling I won't be seeing any of this..

RE: Windows Vista by ipab on 07-23-2005 at 04:04 AM

quote:
Longhorn only means something in English, and it's already pretty ridiculous to compare an OS with a horn

fyi, the name codename longhorn is based on a saloon located at the base of Whistler mountain, between Whistler & Blackcomb in BC Canada. Whistler, if you recall was the codename for the previous version of windows (XP). I like longhorn, cause it ties MS to my surroundings (i live in BC and about 3 hrs from whistler :D), and I think thats cool.

bah vista sounds kool too. Either way all of are going to use it :refuck:
RE: Windows Vista by Kryptonate on 07-23-2005 at 12:31 PM

I begin to like the name more and more, but it's still funny if you realise "vista" means "chicken" in Letvia :p

RE: Windows Vista by John Anderton on 07-23-2005 at 12:45 PM

The name vista sucks :dodgy: longhorn is uber cool and futuristic.
Vista sucks so badly that i would do anything to rename it back to longhorn :S

quote:
quote:
1st, don't forget Vista has a meaning in LOTS of languages. Longhorn only means something in English, and it's already pretty ridiculous to compare an OS with a horn

Well, I prefer Windows X2 or Windows X6 considering its version number. Anyway, Vista just sounds that... well, a little bit, Microsoft has done nothing in it so that we need "more vista".
yeah those version numbers would be good too :) but imo longhorn pwns all :)

I dunno if someone's posted this but Official Microsoft Windows Vista Page
Its said to arrive in 2006 :D
RE: Windows Vista by mad_onion on 07-23-2005 at 03:00 PM

yes i had already posted the link to the vista hompage. i mentioned it a few pages back and its in my sig :)
it is weird the more i say and type "Windows Vista" the more it grows on me by the time it is released i think i will love it :D
longhorn is a terrible name and people would mkae way too many jokes about it vista is a huge improvement.
it says 2006 but its more tha likely to be released late 2006 like september time i guess for the christmas holidays.

RE: Windows Vista by YottabyteWizard on 07-23-2005 at 06:00 PM

Vista sucks... at least infinitum or plasma or something like that, something futuristic.

EDTT: i really love the name 'longhorn'(Y)

RE: Windows Vista by mad_onion on 07-23-2005 at 06:20 PM

i cant believe this, i assumed that there was a general concensus that longhorn would be a terrible name for Windows and tbh i cant see how anyone would disagree.
My avatar shows my support for Windows Vista, the name really doe grow on you it is so cool!

RE: Windows Vista by :No-Frost: on 07-23-2005 at 06:36 PM

I don't care about the name... if it's from microsoft, it's gonna be the same sh*t that always xD...

Any way, the "spanish" name it doesn't care to me... First, because I'm spanish, and second, because what's the deal having a spanish name??? Not all the "english" stuff are good...

Well... I don't careabout anything really...

RE: Windows Vista by Pipish on 07-23-2005 at 10:15 PM

the name vista is just lame.

but i wont care about the name if the software is good.

RE: RE: Windows Vista by TylerG on 07-23-2005 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
the name vista is just lame.

but i wont care about the name if the software is good.

I agree.
I thought it was cool cuz the University of Texas mascot/school animal thing is the longhorns, and I am a fan of them.  I really like the longhorn name.  But the UT's rival school's would probably refuse to upgrade to the new windows if it was named Longhorn:P  Vista is starting to grow on me though
RE: Windows Vista by Maniac on 07-24-2005 at 03:05 AM

I figured out why vista is so bad...

You see "vista" in the moroccan arabic dialect comes from the french "vest" which means.... *drum roll* JACKET... so when i say windows vista i'm saying windows jacket :rofl:

RE: Windows Vista by KeyStorm on 07-24-2005 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Windows XP (experience)

Just shortly: That's inaccurate. The real meaning is Windows eXPloitable.

Oh, and after all it may sound like Windows Fiesta or Windows Fister.

Ok it's enough about bad jokes about the name. :P

The weird thing is that a friend of mine had to change XP's language to Chinese to be able to read Longhorn's Vista's GUI labels and texts. I hadn't heard anything about that and it makes it just as dodgy as we got used to by Microsoft.
RE: Windows Vista by paperless on 07-24-2005 at 11:44 PM

Vista is not only a Spanish word but also a Portuguese which means "sight" and in latvia it means "chicken" :lol:

I like the name very much, very modern, IMHO.

RE: Windows Vista by KeyStorm on 07-25-2005 at 12:42 AM

However, Microsoft most likely used the Spanish meaning to appeal Latin technology growth (in America) and, as said, just refers to the visual improvements.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll hear about many weird Vista-stories, like many other product names that may not be suitable for certain audiences. :P

RE: Windows Vista by paperless on 07-25-2005 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
However, Microsoft most likely used the Spanish meaning to appeal Latin technology growth (in America)

You are forgetting about Brazil, they speak portugeuse there.

The meaning is the same anyway.
RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-25-2005 at 02:12 AM

quote:
However, Microsoft most likely used the Spanish meaning to appeal Latin technology growth (in America) and, as said, just refers to the visual improvements.
Hmm since the meaning of Vista is also pretty much the same in English, Italian, and other languages, I doubt they actually put Latin America as a priority for naming the next version of Longhorn.

RE: Windows Vista by DJeX on 07-25-2005 at 02:21 AM

Vista is a worn out name just look...

Vista tools: http://genome.lbl.gov/vista/index.shtml
Ahhh yea no clue what this is: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/nest/lci/vista/vista.html
VistaPrint (woo fancy): http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/default.aspx?GP=7...05+10%3A18%3A32+PM

And for more Vista crap: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vista&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

RE: Windows Vista by Mnjul on 07-25-2005 at 02:27 AM

Whether you guys like "Vista" or not, someone called John Wall is never going to love it, for his business software/services company has the exactly same name :dodgy:

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3358&catid=1

RE: Windows Vista by guanako on 07-25-2005 at 03:35 AM

i thnk most people like vista, isnt that wat happend when they named windows XP ? i just a matter of time and everyone including me will get used to Windows Vista
just something about the name Vista

well astá la Vistá !!

RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-25-2005 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Whether you guys like "Vista" or not, someone called John Wall is never going to love it, for his business software/services company has the exactly same name :dodgy:

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3358&catid=1
I'm pretty sure he does love it. I can see a few $100 bills flowing from Microsoft's campus to his office.
RE: Windows Vista by John Anderton on 07-29-2005 at 08:51 AM

Yeah lucky dude. I think there will be a court case or something :P

I dont think that microsoft will change the name or anything. I dunno what was the problem with longhorn :S

1st they codename an os longhorn and before the release they name it xp.

Then they codename the next os longhorn (again) and then they announce its official name as vista.

Mabbe they will go for a 3 in a row :dodgy:

quote:

quote:
Windows XP (experience)

Just shortly: That's inaccurate. The real meaning is Windows eXPloitable.

Oh, and after all it may sound like Windows Fiesta or Windows Fister.

Ok it's enough about bad jokes about the name.

The weird thing is that a friend of mine had to change XP's language to Chinese to be able to read Longhorn's Vista's GUI labels and texts. I hadn't heard anything about that and it makes it just as dodgy as we got used to by Microsoft.
Ks .... they released xp as eXPerience here too. So im guessing it is the official name :P
RE: Windows Vista by jameslives on 07-29-2005 at 09:23 AM

i have windows vista on my comp but havnt installed yet because it doesnt support all graphics cards since its beta

RE: Windows Vista by Kryptonate on 07-29-2005 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
the codename of Windows XP was Whistler, not Longhorn.
quote:
Mabbe they will go for a 3 in a row
the next is Blackcomb
RE: Windows Vista by Guido on 07-29-2005 at 12:27 PM

quote:
As Kryptonate said, it was codenamed Whistler. This is the first time Longhorn is used :\

RE: Windows Vista by Cadish on 07-30-2005 at 07:29 AM

Is Vista stable? With this I mean, should I install this OS, or should I stick with XP?

Can you run every program on this OS? Will it crash sometimes, because it's a beta?

I would like your suggestions...

RE: Windows Vista by lopardo on 07-30-2005 at 07:32 AM

It's an early beta, not meant for production at all, so stay with XP as your primary OS.

If you want to try it, do it at your own risk. I'd suggest you not to do it.

RE: Windows Vista by Cadish on 07-30-2005 at 07:43 AM

Ok, thanks lopardo!

RE: Windows Vista by Kryptonate on 07-30-2005 at 12:57 PM

CS on Vista Beta1
[Image: steamcs25qj.th.png]

RE: Windows Vista by Eljay on 07-30-2005 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
CS on Vista Beta1
[Image: steamcs25qj.th.png]

Kryptonate, do me a favour (assuming thats running from your pc), send that wallpaper to leejeffery<at>gmail<dot>com, i need it for my blog (A)