Shoutbox

New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy (/showthread.php?tid=47934)

New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by rav0 on 07-22-2005 at 12:18 PM

I just took a look at my filtered-as-spam mail in my Gmail account, and saw a fake email claiming to be from eBay.

I opened it just to take a look and was greeted by a nice, big, red banner, added by Gmail, telling me that the message didn't actually come from eBay.

Take a look:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=500329]

It also disabled the links in the email, that would have taken you to the information logging site.

What do you all think?

To me it seems a lot better that Microsoft's effort in Hotmail.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by Zephyr on 07-22-2005 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
E-bay never ask you to confirm accounts although the email looks like ebays

Well they obviously will try to make look as genuine as possible to trick as many people as they can.

I use gmail and have never seen that message before, but it's good to know that just in case something like that happens to my account, gmail's system looks good and safe.
RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by Eljay on 07-22-2005 at 12:31 PM

seen that a few weeks ago, dunno how old it is though

RE: RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by rav0 on 07-22-2005 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
E-bay never ask you to confirm accounts although the email looks like ebays

Well they obviously will try to make look as genuine as possible to trick as many people as they can.
I know that the email and site are fake and not related to eBay, but they site are actually very well made (PM me if you want to see the site, I'll reply with the URI (unless a mod or someone says I can post it)). I would imagine a lot of people gave in their accounts to the fraudsters.

quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
I use gmail and have never seen that message before, but it's good to know that just in case something like that happens to my account, gmail's system looks good and safe.

Go Gmail!

In traditional hacker style, a gramatical error; "Never share your eBay password to anyone!".
RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by gif83 on 07-22-2005 at 01:01 PM

erm it does point out that it's not a real ebay email in hotmail too... i've had the same for my hotmail account... ok so it's not in red... but it still has the same banner thing above messages like this

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by mad_onion on 07-22-2005 at 02:26 PM

yeah this has been there for several months i dont know how long exactly because they never announced for some reason. it is kinda useful good to know its there i guess.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by Rubber Stamp on 07-22-2005 at 02:31 PM

this is really cool, but i havnt seen it before!?

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by qgroessl on 07-22-2005 at 02:36 PM

I think I'll stick with hotmail ;)... and if nothing else... my school has email there too... and they don't seem to want to delete people out of the database after they've graduated or moved or anything... They have some people that haven't been in school for like 3 years ;) so I think I'm safe using that one for a long time yet.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by brian on 07-22-2005 at 03:02 PM

Same happnened here, but for paypal!

I liked it, I really thought that the paypal thing was true, then I saw it blocking it.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by -dt- on 07-22-2005 at 03:06 PM

i saw that quite a while back for some dodgy spam email [Image: msn_tongue.gif]  its quite handy

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by paperless on 07-22-2005 at 04:34 PM

i also saw that but it was a paypal account.. i dont even have one.. lmao

I sent one back saying: "AHAAh bitch, you know what? I dont even have a paypal account stupid phisher"

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by Stigmata on 07-22-2005 at 04:36 PM

when i get my mail from the guys at microsoft it has this message

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by Eljay on 07-22-2005 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
I sent one back saying: "AHAAh bitch, you know what? I dont even have a paypal account stupid phisher"

umm yeh they are like spam bots (phish bots? i dunno :P) , they wont reply :P
RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by mad_onion on 07-22-2005 at 04:48 PM

this is better than the hotmail one because its more easy to see, the hotmail one isnt all that visible at first glance tbh.
you know paperless, sending one back isnt a good idea. it will just bounce of their server making the whole thing pointless and so increases spam email traffic or they might actually have a script that scans all the replies and then finds all the email address in it, that way they are sure they there is someone at the other end reading them, so you will probably get more.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by TylerG on 07-22-2005 at 04:51 PM

This is good to know because I probably would have fallen for the fraud email:P

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by Wabz on 07-22-2005 at 04:55 PM

I almost fell for one before.  I recommend sending off to the appropriate company and letting them know about it.  They can lookup the fake domain and take it from there.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by King For A Day on 07-22-2005 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
I think I'll stick with hotmail ;)... and if nothing else... my school has email there too... and they don't seem to want to delete people out of the database after they've graduated or moved or anything... They have some people that haven't been in school for like 3 years ;) so I think I'm safe using that one for a long time yet.

i cant use hotmail in school, my stupid new head of it bastard block all sites that were linked to messenger programs, including mess.be so i have to use gmail, he thinks if we have hotmail in school all we will do is chat, asswipe. he wants us to use the crappy chool acounts that are moniterd by people and are crap and have a .5mb atachment limit and suck and he knows nothing about anything, he has to have the technitions help him all the time and hes an ass, an i hope to god he doesnt teach computing next year. and i hope he dies. and loses his pathetic stutter that keeps us behind before luch while he attepmts to talk.

any way yay gmail
RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by EvilSeph on 07-22-2005 at 06:26 PM

Gmail is New, Hotmail is anicent. Give Microsoft a break.

RE: New Gmail Anti Fraud Thingy by tomfletcherman on 07-22-2005 at 09:39 PM

lol, not too much of the hate Kingforaday :P Well in 6th form we all have our own laptops so technically nothing should be blocked. If it is, I'll probably use a proxy or something... And gmail is better than hotmail anyway. The whole hotmail page looks bloated and there are large adverts and links to laods of microsoft crap. I much prefer gmail, especially when it says hooray! no spam here!