Shoutbox

Blocking access - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Blocking access (/showthread.php?tid=47950)

Blocking access by Vilkku on 07-22-2005 at 09:39 PM

We are going to put one pc for public use, and I wonder how I can change the access for the user (like the ones in school, block .exe downloads etc). We have WinXP home. Ask more questions if needed. Thanks.

RE: Blocking access by Shezi on 07-22-2005 at 09:55 PM

for blocking the installation u should allow the acces as the restricted user....
in control panel > user account > user > (make a tick on user must enter user name and password to use this computer > select the user u want to restrict > properties > group membership > select Restricted User ( u can also choose the guest in the drop down in other which is more restricted.. )

RE: Blocking access by Supersonicdarky on 07-22-2005 at 10:51 PM

or you can Run > GPEDIT.MSC

Only for advanced users

RE: RE: Blocking access by Vilkku on 07-23-2005 at 08:32 AM

Shezi, I'm looking for someting a little more advanced than guest account.

quote:
Originally posted by supersonicdarky

Only for advanced users

Can't find file.

RE: Blocking access by WDZ on 07-23-2005 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Can't find file.
Because it's only in XP Pro.

* WDZ slaps supersonicdarky around a bit with a large trout.
RE: Blocking access by multimillion2k on 07-23-2005 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Yeah, it's an XP Pro feature. I think it only edits the registry, so if you want you can edit it yourself.

What kind of people are going to access this computer, and do you have specific needs for it?
RE: Blocking access by Rubber Stamp on 07-23-2005 at 12:10 PM

my schools got something like this, we students cant access the control panel and stuff...........

RE: Blocking access by John Anderton on 07-23-2005 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
my schools got something like this, we students cant access the control panel and stuff...........
Is that the use of regedit or that admin thingy (administrative tools) ??
RE: RE: Blocking access by Vilkku on 07-23-2005 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
quote:
Yeah, it's an XP Pro feature. I think it only edits the registry, so if you want you can edit it yourself.

What kind of people are going to access this computer, and do you have specific needs for it?

We have a small cafe, we tought we should have a computer with internet there. Basically, I don't want the guests to be able to download .exe files, run games etc. Just surf the web and use word/excel/... It's also my moms working pc (I know it's not the best idea to allow it for public use, obviously she has a password protected account with ptrivate forlders, but we don't have any ohter computer to put there). Just something simple, but more customizeable than the guest account.

I also tired a internet cafe software. Seems pretty good, but I rather configure Windows instead of using some software that I'm not that familiar with.
RE: Blocking access by Tochjo on 07-23-2005 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Basically, I don't want the guests to be able to download .exe files, run games etc. Just surf the web and use word/excel/...
How about if they were able to download all they wanted, just not run it? Trust-No-Exe might be worth looking into then.

I don't think this is a built-in Windows functionality.
RE: Blocking access by Vilkku on 07-24-2005 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Basically, I don't want the guests to be able to download .exe files, run games etc. Just surf the web and use word/excel/...
How about if they were able to download all they wanted, just not run it? Trust-No-Exe might be worth looking into then.

I don't think this is a built-in Windows functionality.

Sounds good, I'll take a look. Thanks all. I suppose restricted/guest combined with that will do.

EDIT: Is there a way to prevent guest account users to access certain folders? I don't want people to see the shared documents or tthe program folder.
RE: Blocking access by Rubber Stamp on 07-24-2005 at 03:59 PM

ill ask my teacher on skool how she did it and tel ya tom.
in skool, student logins cant even view any drive, except one where they are suppose to work. i think thats wat u want.

RE: Blocking access by JDawg_0789 on 07-24-2005 at 06:35 PM

You should be able to login on the account you're wanting to restrict before you restrict it (so you have administrative priv's), edit the registry keys for CURRENT_USER from there, reboot, login under a different administrative account, and restrict the one you just edited.