Shoutbox

Lindows? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Lindows? (/showthread.php?tid=48102)

Lindows? by YottabyteWizard on 07-26-2005 at 09:13 PM

I'm currently changing from Windows to Linux, but i have some time looking at Lindows OS at PC Club, looks like it has a nice gui. Somebody knows about this OS, how good it is?

RE: Lindows? by :No-Frost: on 07-26-2005 at 09:30 PM

better try ubuntu or mandrake if you wanna use an "easy to use" friendly linux ^^...

RE: Lindows? by YottabyteWizard on 07-27-2005 at 05:54 AM

i used mandrake, freeze a lot

RE: Lindows? by -dt- on 07-27-2005 at 05:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
i used mandrake, freeze a lot
mandrake freezed on you =/
* -dt- has never had it freeze or crash.

well i do crash X when i edit the xorg.conf file to attempt to setup duel screens.......
RE: Lindows? by YottabyteWizard on 07-27-2005 at 06:04 AM

Also, it never shuts down:@ i must turn it off myself.

RE: Lindows? by Hank on 07-27-2005 at 09:41 AM

Mandriva formerly known as Mandrake has Problems with its latest release LE2005 .i'd agree use Ubuntu or even Fedora, bear in mind ubuntu is just another debain OS with updated packages, , for bleeding edge/new software Must use Fedora,  release cycle of Fedora is Now 9 month cycle instead of the 6months, to get Help on Mandriva ,,open Mirc client up an point it to the Freenode Network  an join the channel, i also think ubunto is on that network to

RE: Lindows? by x2zen on 07-27-2005 at 09:43 AM

Please note that the name is now Linspire, because MS sued them because of the name. :)

RE: Lindows? by mad_onion on 07-27-2005 at 11:04 AM

suse all the way, its really user friendly and easy to set up and plus it seems a whole lot more proffesional than some distros.

RE: Lindows? by huwnet on 07-27-2005 at 11:15 AM

There are plenty of Linux distrobution out there but dont use Lindows.

It is a waste of money (although there are loads of coupons you can use to get it free)

Use Fedora or Mandrake etc

RE: Lindows? by Rubber Stamp on 07-27-2005 at 01:44 PM

wats wrong wid good ol' windows.....

RE: Lindows? by mad_onion on 07-27-2005 at 02:48 PM

well theres nothing wrong with it exactly its just people like to try something different and also be safe in the knowledge that there is basically no spyware or viruses written to work in linux so they are safe too :)

RE: Lindows? by Rubber Stamp on 07-27-2005 at 02:52 PM

but then u ll have to spend sooo much of time looking for patches for programs to run on linux....

RE: Lindows? by ShawnZ on 07-27-2005 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
but then u ll have to spend sooo much of time looking for patches for programs to run on linux....

errrrrrrrrr...........

Linux distros usually come with a couple gb of software preinstalled and compiled to run on them, and if you wnat to run windows programs you can just get Wine
RE: Lindows? by Rubber Stamp on 07-27-2005 at 02:56 PM

yeah okie
* Rubber Stamp thinks hes so noobish and feels ashamed of himself....