Shoutbox

Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? (/showthread.php?tid=48201)

Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Dane on 07-28-2005 at 03:14 AM

Hello,

Well, Im wondering what everyones first impressions of Internet Explorer 7 are?  It has leaked as of about 4 hours ago (NO, i'm not giving you the link to the leak!), and I have tried it out a bit.  I can see why it is beta, but it is still surprisingly stable.  The only thing I dislike about it is where they put the Menu's and stuff.

The RSS Feeds integrated right into IE are VERY cool, they save you a lot of time of getting another RSS reader like Sharpreader.

So what do YOU think of Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by guanako on 07-28-2005 at 03:21 AM

idk i havent try it, leaks are not always good (i think) but may be ill do some research and read its pretty good, so there is a good VISTA to it

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mwe99 on 07-28-2005 at 03:26 AM

Just so people are aware, people posting links will have them removed.

I haven't tested the new IE yet, is there an ETA for release?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Dane on 07-28-2005 at 03:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99

I haven't tested the new IE yet, is there an ETA for release?

Beta 2 is expected by the end of the year to a more larger audience, but Beta 1 is specifically private unless you got it from one of the sources that leaked it.

But its GREAT, btw.
RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by guanako on 07-28-2005 at 03:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Just so people are aware, people posting links will have them removed.

we know (Y) :)
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mwe99 on 07-28-2005 at 03:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
we know (Y) :)

newbies might not

Is it supposed to be similar to Firefox or something? I was reading some other forums

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
But its GREAT, btw.

way to rub it in :P
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by NiteMare on 07-28-2005 at 03:30 AM

quote:
(NO, i'm not giving you the link to the leak!)

good idea, but any links to screenshots or reviews?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mwe99 on 07-28-2005 at 03:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
(NO, i'm not giving you the link to the leak!)

good idea, but any links to screenshots or reviews?

Google them :) there is quite a lot of results already :S lol zoooom
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-28-2005 at 03:35 AM

quote:
But its GREAT, btw.

but wait!!, just more security Holes!!

sorry couldnt resist that :-P
RE: by guanako on 07-28-2005 at 03:45 AM

quote:

weird u have firefox icons and everything :P good one (Y)
edit: wtf happened to it?
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by NiteMare on 07-28-2005 at 03:47 AM

what happend to what?

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by guanako on 07-28-2005 at 03:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
what happend to what?

look at my atachment and u will see
http://www.activewin.com/afd/ie7/ie7_1_final.JPG
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by NiteMare on 07-28-2005 at 03:50 AM

oh yeah, apon fuhter research i found out those images were fakes so i deleted them

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Pyroteq on 07-28-2005 at 08:19 AM

I couldnt be bothered testing it i just dont have faith in IE im fine with firefox.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Dane on 07-28-2005 at 08:32 AM

IE has several improvements over firefox...Security (¬_¬ @ those of you who laugh at this) is one of them.  Its gotten a LOT more secure.  And the tabs are unobtrusive yet it still gives you enough browsing space.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Ahmad on 07-28-2005 at 09:09 AM

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=10404&hl=

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-28-2005 at 09:12 AM

quote:
IE has several improvements over firefox...Security (¬_¬ @ those of you who laugh at this) is one of them.  Its gotten a LOT more secure.

you trying to get a job with Microsoft dane? ..the fact is.. IE7 shoulda been IE6  . IE7 will just break a lot of webpages, so there for lots of people will just move to  Firefox as people will have to rewrite there pages to suite IE7 Rendering  Pages differently
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Max on 07-28-2005 at 09:17 AM

Looks like a brilliant program. However, I wish the tabs were below the menu bar.

Security has definatley improved, it was [obviously] one of the IE Development Teams major prioritys.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by RaPLeX on 07-28-2005 at 09:31 AM

Lot of people use Opera8&Firefox,(like me)so...

Resume with Firefox&Opera :D
(its my opinion)

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Max on 07-28-2005 at 09:32 AM

IE 7 is apparently safer than Firefox now, what do you think?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by TheGeek on 07-28-2005 at 10:34 AM

The IE 7 release will be great for the popularity of firefox.
Lots of companies run windows 2000 and there won't be a new IE for windows 2000.
An upgrade to XP is just to expensive for most companies.
Firefox will have an advantage because it offers the same features as IE 7, it's free and it runs on most windows versions.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-28-2005 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

firefox in its Nightly builds has improvements an Security ,, an more features, , firefox has extensions/plugins where as IE is very limmited,
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Svip on 07-28-2005 at 10:54 AM

IE being safer than Firefox? Nah. It's just you falling under the arms of Microsoft's propaganda.

IE7 does far from impress me, in fact, it just proves my point that Microsoft is bad for the world, because of their amateur programming, their lack of understanding a correct struture of a program, and all that jazz.

Microsoft shouldn't do software. The world is bleeding cause of it, shouldn't surprise me if it's Windows' fault their even is a war in Iraq.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by emit on 07-28-2005 at 10:57 AM

TheGeek: that won't happen. Companies just won't trust unsuppoted software.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Svip on 07-28-2005 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
TheGeek: that won't happen. Companies just won't trust unsuppoted software.

You fail at life, yes it will happen. Major companies in Denmark has already changed to Firefox, cause it is better.

So shush.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Max on 07-28-2005 at 11:00 AM

I am not falling under Microsoft propaganda at all. I am just asking because I have heard that it would be beating Firefox in security. I am not however, saying it is safer.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by emit on 07-28-2005 at 11:02 AM

Hahaha. Danish companies have no bearing on the international market. Large international countries won't do it. They will stick with IE, because they can afford to upgrade to XP/Vista etc, and thus can use IE7. It would take too long to train many office workers to use another browser, because they are not all tech savvy; and the lack of a big corporation to shout at when Firefox fails will always put them off.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Svip on 07-28-2005 at 11:03 AM

quote:
I am not falling under Microsoft propaganda at all. I am just asking because I have heard that it would be beating Firefox in security. I am not however, saying it is safer.

Moo, I was commenting on Dane's post.

Anyways, it probably wont, cause Microsoft just tries to cover the most common fawls and then say; "OMG MORE SECURE THAN FIREFOX!!! MWHAHAHAHA".

And reality is that it's just one bit of the Internet it wins over Firefox at. But that's because it's IE problems. :\ So it can't be more secure than Firefox. lol
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by user27089 on 07-28-2005 at 11:04 AM

I think it is actually really good, it looks just like Mozilla Firefox :s.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Svip on 07-28-2005 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Hahaha. Danish companies have no bearing on the international market. Large international countries won't do it. They will stick with IE, because they can afford to upgrade to XP/Vista etc, and thus can use IE7. It would take too long to train many office workers to use another browser, because they are not all tech savvy; and the lack of a big corporation to shout at when Firefox fails will always put them off.

Once again you fail. Cause major companies around the world are changing to Linux, and oi! Does IE work under Linux? I thought so, I wouldn't be bothered trying to get IE to work under Linux, when I can choose between Firefox and Opera. Mmmm...
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by emit on 07-28-2005 at 11:07 AM

Nope, this is where you're wrong again. Linux, for the same reason about the lack of a founding corporation, will never replace Windows as the default OS for user terminals. Maybe on servers, but again thats only used by the most technical people in a company.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by rav0 on 07-28-2005 at 11:09 AM

There is a lot of talk about the safety of a web browser. Would anyone care to define safety in its context here?

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Svip on 07-28-2005 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
There is a lot of talk about the safety of a web browser. Would anyone care to define safety in its context here?

"Safety" is how much access websites can get to your computer just by you viewing their page.

As IE supports ActiveX and VB-Script, it makes it highly insecure, as ActiveX and VB-Script has a lot of errors and exploits, which means that people's files can be changed without them knowning it.

@Time; Let's just agree to disagree, aye?
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Mentality on 07-28-2005 at 11:17 AM

If you ask me, the new version infact does look alot like firefox anyway. I don't like it, i can't stand firefox it was all jumpy on my computer didnt like my scrolly mouse for wateva reason any how, i think i will be sticking to my IE 6. and im normally running to get updates as soon as they come, to me its abit of a let down. :@:@

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by -dt- on 07-28-2005 at 11:25 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Svip
IE being safer than Firefox? Nah. It's just youfalling under the arms of Microsoft's propaganda.
so true , to increase IE's security they made IE run on its own limited user account!!!!!!!!!

also wtf intergrated rss feeds heard of LIVE BOOKMARKS
search bar in top corner is so a rip off of opera and firefox.

IE's whole new design is a rip off and its wrong.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Kryptonate on 07-28-2005 at 12:25 PM

I don't know if IE7 is more secure than Firefox, haven't tested IE7 yet.
I do know people have tested it's rendering engine and it's as terrible as IE6 :-/. It's not what most people hoped it would be. Once again Microsoft uses it's own standards.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Starforce2 on 07-28-2005 at 01:01 PM

what exaclty is an RSS feed? I see them popping up on my maxthon browser but I dunno wtf it is?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Kryptonate on 07-28-2005 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Starforce2
what exaclty is an RSS feed? I see them popping up on my maxthon browser but I dunno wtf it is?
RSS = Really Simple Syndication is xml based and is used to distribute news from newssites, blogs, ... . It can be read with an aggregator like RSSreader.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mad_onion on 07-28-2005 at 02:33 PM

i havent installed it and i wont because Windows update doesnt work for many 8-)
but changing tabs is supposed to be faster than firefox, so if all you want is tabs i would go for ie7 but only when the final comes out because this beta at least isnt good enough really.
and atm ie7 is obviously more secure than firefox because none of the viruses and spyware written for ie6 work but as soon as ie7 is released it will go back to normal :)

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Eljay on 07-28-2005 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
changing tabs is supposed to be faster than firefox

how can you get faster, firefox is instantaneous :S
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mad_onion on 07-28-2005 at 02:53 PM

lol dont ask me i only ever used firefox for a day and i cant really remember there being a gap either. but people at neowin have been saying that ie7 renders the page faster when you change tabs :S how knows??
btw i hope no one is taking this as what the final product will be like, im expecting the rss feature to be hugely improved and for you to be able to move the toolbars hopefully :)

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mwe99 on 07-28-2005 at 02:54 PM

Can't check Yahoo mail with it at the mo either... lol

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Dane on 07-28-2005 at 08:22 PM

Digging through the Advanced options in IE7, there will be support for themeing, Browser Extensions, and a LOT more.  This release wasnt public for the very reason you all are cutting it down...This release is simply for Developers and IT Professionals.  In fact, IE7 is going to comply with the CSS2 standard, Beta 1 does not yet however, for the reason that its an unfinished product.

And based on the amounts of people that want the Menu back where it was in IE6, it's probably going to move back there.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Eljay on 07-28-2005 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Digging through the Advanced options in IE7, there will be support for themeing, Browser Extensions, and a LOT more.

umm mind telling me which part of advanced options mentions theming cos i sure cant find it :S

EDIT: and by extensions (assuming im looking at the same part as you) they mean just the same as IE6, toolbars
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by evil_panda on 07-28-2005 at 10:22 PM

I belive its way too mutch like mozzila but still it's nice but you still can t beat mozzila :P I shall never change browsers...

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-29-2005 at 12:59 AM

IE7 when in Beta 2 Stege will be for the Public as Noted on neowin.net

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=29687&category=main
read the story there

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Savior on 07-29-2005 at 01:41 AM

I've used it and to tell you the truth they ripped off netscape big time :(

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by -dt- on 07-29-2005 at 04:19 AM

quote:
In fact, IE7 is going to comply with the CSS2 standard
only css2 [Image: xso_undecided.gif]  microsoft should atleast add all css3 standards which are currently out.

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
but changing tabs is supposed to be faster than firefox, so if all you want is tabs i would go for ie7 but only when the final comes out because this beta at least isnt good enough really.
wtf ok I'm really confused here tab switching speed is related to the speed of your computer and tab switching is instant for me in firefox , opera so I'm not really sure how it can be faster then instant , maby it guesses what sites to load and loads them before i even click on them lol!

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-29-2005 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Savior
I've used it and to tell you the truth they ripped off netscape big time

if you remember AOL took MS to court awhile ago now, maybe last year, AOL Sued MS, ( for what reason i cant remember ) but MS Paid AOL $500,Mill  or some figure like that,  cookie might remember i dont know, but i think or some feel AOL sold out to MS  an thats why NS8 now has both rendering endines Gecko an trident so its a Win for AOL an MS, but calling it a Rip off, i dont know as i havent used the browser an dont intend to till Beta2 is out,

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
wtf ok I'm really confused here tab switching speed is related to the speed of your computer and tab switching is instant for me in firefox , opera so I'm not really sure how it can be faster then instant , maby it guesses what sites to load and loads them before i even click on them lol!

i think its a bit like NS8 in a lot of ways DT from what i hear. 
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by super-schaf on 07-29-2005 at 11:07 AM

i cant download it anywere! :-(

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by auhsor on 07-29-2005 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by super-schaf

You're not supposed to download it anywhere unless you are a MSDN Subscriber or something... or through some other devious way.

To be honest I think that the UI is pretty terrible. I havn't actually used it, but from all the pictures I've seen, everything is in very awkward positions, such as the obvious menu bar (I've heard it is put there for security reasons :S), along with the refresh button. I just don't like it much at all. Until it gets alot more customisable then I'm not even going to think about using it.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by _Humphreys on 07-29-2005 at 02:05 PM

OMFG it's as if they ripped-off every feature from Firefox, dodgy Microcrap.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by x2zen on 07-29-2005 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin
quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
OMFG it's as if they ripped-off every feature from Firefox.
i was just thinking that :P
So suddenly FireFox invented tabs?
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by buzz on 07-29-2005 at 03:04 PM

http://kasimchen.com/2004/12/21/tabbed-browser/
i see nothing wrong with using popular features which every brower is starting to use. Firefox spreads just as much propaganda about there product as IE. and y are some of you saying that you will never use ie7 because you didnt like beta ONE?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Lou on 07-29-2005 at 03:25 PM

you shouldnt base all your thoughts on beta one. I mean seriously, most of you arent even legal to test it and there you are doing it anyway and saying its crap.Look, every product has a "crap" stage weather anyone sees it or not [private beta, public beta, or no beta at all] and no mattter what, unless you personally had the whole program planned piece per piece and everything you writing ready, its always gonna be like that. you cant possibly have a browser thats perfect... and its just beta 1, give them a chance...sure I dont like MS but Im gonna give them a chance on this one...

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by evil_panda on 07-29-2005 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by super-schaf

Ask traxor...
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Nathan on 07-29-2005 at 04:14 PM

Its even got the little quick search bar at he top like firefox!

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Sasuke on 07-29-2005 at 05:41 PM

you people arefriggen wierd. Firefox is for people who use macs. Who the hell spends more than 4 hous downlading plugins for thier web brouser. Theres Avant wich is an IE alternativeto Firefox, mostwebsites outthere only dipend on IE to run.Why the hell would i switc to firefox when ill beusing IE again when firefox cant even open a website that ues IE to run

theres thing called torrent... im not gona mention how to get IE7 or what website was use to get IE7 the only thing I can say s Torrent.... use google to find out more if you still dn know where imgettig at

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by auhsor on 07-30-2005 at 02:17 AM

Dude... Firstly, check over your post before you click reply. It can be pretty hard to read. If English is not your native language then sorry.

And Firefox is not for people who use macs... Its for Windows/Macs/Linux/Unix/Solaris... basically every system out there. You only need to spend time customising it if you want to. Basically there is 1 or 2 extensions that I feel are essential and they arn't that hard to find.

About the compatability... IE is broken, and they havn't fixed it for IE7, and that makes me sad. I'm just starting to get into CSS with making my website, and am wanting to do some really fancy stuff but IE's compatability really lets me down. Check out this site for a few examples. I spend quite a good few hours a day on the net and I maybe come to 1 site every couple of days that doesn't work on FF. That isn't most.

Now yes there are many many different ways for find out how to get IE7, but we shouldn't hint where. If someone want to get it, they can search for it... its as simple as that.

RE: RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by EvilSeph on 07-30-2005 at 03:12 AM

For "quotes", my reply is in bold.

Originally posted by Animal
you trying to get a job with Microsoft dane? ..the fact is.. IE7 shoulda been IE6  . IE7 will just break a lot of webpages, so there for lots of people will just move to  Firefox as people will have to rewrite there pages to suite IE7 Rendering  Pages differently

Every browser has added their own "standards" to the internet, even Gecko. It's not JUST Microsoft's fault (IE's fault) that several browser render the same page quite differently.

I've personally encountered a large nubmer of sites that DON'T render correctly on either Opera or Firefox but do on IE.

-------------------------------

Originally posted by Animal
firefox in its Nightly builds has improvements an Security ,, an more features, , firefox has extensions/plugins where as IE is very limmited,

Corporations and the average user do *NOT* keep up with nightly builds. It's just too tedious, inconvenient and time consuming especially for "big" corporations.

There's a reason why Microsoft takes so "long" to release security updates and now you know why.

--------------------------------

IE being safer than Firefox? Nah. It's just you falling under the arms of Microsoft's propaganda.

It is safer. Microsoft "propaganda" or no, it's a fact. I'm comparing IE7's security to Firefox MAIN RELEASES, not nightlys not trunks etc.

IE7 does far from impress me, in fact, it just proves my point that Microsoft is bad for the world, because of their amateur programming, their lack of understanding a correct struture of a program, and all that jazz.

Just a rant without reason. Just why does IE7 not impress you? And who said Microsoft was tailoring their software just for you? Your voice among the world's is insignificant.

Microsoft shouldn't do software. The world is bleeding cause of it, shouldn't surprise me if it's Windows' fault their even is a war in Iraq.

This proves my point about you being so biased, the software or even the concepts "fail" before you even load it up or see it/

--------------------------------

Moo, I was commenting on Dane's post.

Anyways, it probably wont, cause Microsoft just tries to cover the most common fawls and then say; "OMG MORE SECURE THAN FIREFOX!!! MWHAHAHAHA".

You obviously haven't run IE7 and seen what the team has been doing. Besides, it is not that IE is less secure, because it's not. It is just that IE is more popular and so, is focused on by hackers and exploiters alike. If the tables were turned and Firefox was the most popular browser, Firefox wouldn't last a day without an exploit being discovered.

And reality is that it's just one bit of the Internet it wins over Firefox at. But that's because it's IE problems. :\ So it can't be more secure than Firefox. lol

-------------------------------------------------

"Safety" is how much access websites can get to your computer just by you viewing their page.

Merely by your definition and this is wrong.

As IE supports ActiveX and VB-Script, it makes it highly insecure, as ActiveX and VB-Script has a lot of errors and exploits, which means that people's files can be changed without them knowning it.

Both ActiveX and VB-Script allow for a countless number of things that can't be done without them. It is only "highly insecure" because exploiters and hackers alike focus on them. Once again, if the roles were reversed, Firefox would probably be updated daily. And Internet Explorer would wow the world for what ActiveX, when not used maliciously, can achieve.

@Time; Let's just agree to disagree, aye?

Originally posted by: -dt-
so true , to increase IE's security they made IE run on its own limited user account!!!!!!!!!

So you admit IE7 is more secure than before. I don't get you people, you complain about security but when Microsoft do something about it, you bitch and moan and want it removed. Take SP2 for example, people have been bagging Microsoft for ages to increase security and they do, and now people complain. SP2's Security Center increases your computers PC, contrary to popular belief as do the many changes to the Operating System itself.

also wtf intergrated rss feeds heard of LIVE BOOKMARKS
search bar in top corner is so a rip off of opera and firefox.

Every product takes ideas from another, it's how they grow. Just take a look at Y!IM and MSN Messenger.

IE's whole new design is a rip off and its wrong.

Boo hoo. That's life, grow up and stop crying.

Originally posted by: Savior
I've used it and to tell you the truth they ripped off netscape big time

Then every browser did.

Now for the rest:

Go away troll.

Once you've started up your own company that produces better products than Microsoft, then and ONLY THEN can you rightfully shove alternate software down peoples' throats. You are entitled to your opinion, yes. BUT I *HATE* it when people like you SHOVE  THEIR OPINION down other peoples' throats. "You don't like what I like and so, you are wrong".

Security has improved in IE7 and it *IS* more secure than Firefox, but obviously, you wouldn't know seeing as you use a product from Microsoft with such a biased attitude, it "fails" in your mind, immediately.

All of you out there who merely support firefox and nothing else:
Your arguments are void as the research that was obviously not done is incorrect making your argument irrelevant. Big corporations *can* move from different versions of Windows quite easily, it's called Volume Licensing. Big corporations have no problem with such a "job" as if they run into problems, they get professional, ENTERPRISE LEVEL support. Something Mozilla would not be giving out.

Use your browser of choice and go away. Let users who are yet to experience IE7 not be influenced by your obviously biased opinion.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-30-2005 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
There's a reason why Microsoft takes so "long" to release security updates and now you know why.

yeah coz they cannot or dont know how to fix them, just like the kernel flaw that was found in SP2 , stil lwaiting on a ptch for that,
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Sasuke on 07-30-2005 at 06:49 AM

IE7 is good but i think ill stick to my Avant Broser if anything IE based. For the tabs part, Firefox wasnt the first broser to use tabs, if I remeber 6-7 years ago another netscape based broser used tabs.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by rav0 on 07-30-2005 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sasuke
For the tabs part, Firefox wasnt the first broser to use tabs, if I remeber 6-7 years ago another netscape based broser used tabs.

You might be thinking about Opera, it had tabbed browsing long before FireFox existed, but it isn't (and wasn't) Netscape/Gecko based.

You can only expect other software to include features available in competitiors, that's what a competitive market is.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by -dt- on 07-30-2005 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by: -dt-

So you admit IE7 is more secure than before. I don't get you people, you complain about security but when Microsoft do something about it, you bitch and moan and want it removed. Take SP2 for example, people have been bagging Microsoft for ages to increase security and they do, and now people complain. SP2's Security Center increases your computers PC, contrary to popular belief as do the many changes to the Operating System itself.
yes i am admitting it is more secure than before. i was saying that all they did was "Sandbox" internet explorer to increase the security of the overall application.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by saralk on 07-30-2005 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
yes i am admitting it is more secure than before. i was saying that all they did was "Sandbox" internet explorer to increase the security of the overall application.

so what, it works and it makes it more secure, therefor the job is done!
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Pyro on 07-30-2005 at 09:59 AM

GIVE US THE FUDGING LINK!

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by ddunk on 07-30-2005 at 10:05 AM

err... no?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by albert on 07-30-2005 at 10:54 AM

ok well I just got a hold of it with Vista.. :)

I gotta admit this is suprisingly good.. it is so much better than 6 series, and it still is a beta! Im expecting a good full version to come out :)

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by emit on 07-30-2005 at 11:29 AM

You people argue about the most pointless things. Security and safety with a browser is about common sense; i.e. don't visit retarded sites that you know will contain malicious spyware. Simple. The more interesting aspect will be if IE7 with a saved session of 10 tabs will open quicker than Opera with 10 open tabs. It's all about the loading speed. That's why Opera > FireFox... it loads a full 5 seconds faster. So if IE7 loads even quicker.. I'll be back with IE in a flash.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Eljay on 07-30-2005 at 01:40 PM

quote:
The more interesting aspect will be if IE7 with a saved session of 10 tabs will open quicker than Opera with 10 open tabs. It's all about the loading speed. That's why Opera > FireFox... it loads a full 5 seconds faster. So if IE7 loads even quicker.. I'll be back with IE in a flash.

IE7 doesnt save tab sessions, or at least i couldnt find how to :(
RE: RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by EvilSeph on 07-30-2005 at 01:44 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sasuke
For the tabs part, Firefox wasnt the first broser to use tabs, if I remeber 6-7 years ago another netscape based broser used tabs.

You might be thinking about Opera, it had tabbed browsing long before FireFox existed, but it isn't (and wasn't) Netscape/Gecko based.

You can only expect other software to include features available in competitiors, that's what a competitive market is.

Netscape was the first browser with tabbed browsing support. It wasn't Opera.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by auhsor on 07-30-2005 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Netscape was the first browser with tabbed browsing support. It wasn't Opera.

Not true...

quote:
From Wikipedia

Web browsers are notable for implementing this kind of interface (called tabbed browsing). BookLink Technologies pioneered this interface design in its InternetWorks browser in 1994, an approach followed by the Internet Explorer shell NetCaptor in 1997. It was followed by Opera 4 in 2000, although Opera has always had a full MDI interface. These pioneers were followed by a number of others like Mozilla in 2001 (through the MultiZilla extension in April of 2001 and a built-in tabbed browsing mode added to Mozilla 0.9.5 in October of 2001) and Safari in 2003. As of March 2005, most current graphical web browsers, with the notable exception of Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (it has been stated IE 7 will support it), natively support a TDI.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by EvilSeph on 07-30-2005 at 04:26 PM

My apologies, NetCaptor...I just woke up :P.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by emit on 07-30-2005 at 10:11 PM

Lee: I'm hoping the final release will.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-31-2005 at 02:28 AM

Read this. just found it on BetaNews.com

http://www.betanews.com/article/IE7_Beta_Breaks_I...ng_Apps/1122670369

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Dane on 07-31-2005 at 02:53 AM

Who cares, thats the third party software vendors problems.  Look closer and you can see its because of the third party vendors' crappy programming skills.  I've said it once and ill say it again, Trillian is the worst software ever.  Anyway...IE7 simply has an updated DLL that these programmers didnt anticipate.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-31-2005 at 03:27 AM

i wasnt Bagging IE7 at all dane, i never used it so i cant Bag it Yet,  as for 3rd party Messeging i only Use ICQ/MSN Messenger/Yahoo. , i Posted that URL for others to read if they use 3rd party clients,

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 07-31-2005 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~Fusion~
But i dont really like the position of the tabs, I prefer them where Firefox has them.

Ditto. i saw the screenshots of them myself an i dont like where they are,  but  i wil ldownload it when Beta2 is released to the Public, .
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by rav0 on 08-01-2005 at 07:27 AM

Internet Explorer seems to have problems with MSN Music.

If I navigate to it normally, IE7 crashes. I've tested with the worldwide MSN Music site (music.msn.com) and also the Australian version, incorporated with ninemsn (music.ninemsn.com.au)

If I click someone's "What I'm Listening To" song in MSN Messenger, which should launch an MSN Messenger window displaying a special page at MSN Music (powered by Internet Explorer), with search fields filled in for the song that you clicked. Now it sends me to a page telling me that I need Internet Explorer version 6.0 or above to access MSN Music.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by mwe99 on 08-01-2005 at 07:31 AM

quote:
I need Internet Explorer version 6.0 or above to access MSN Music.

Same to check Yahoo Mail too! These companies should be developing this now though.... (he says)
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Vilkku on 08-01-2005 at 07:44 AM

Could anyone care to test Vilkku.tk on IE7 and post/PM a screenshot? I wanna see if IE still messes the layout.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Eljay on 08-01-2005 at 07:56 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=504995]

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by dotNorma on 08-01-2005 at 08:11 AM

Arg...Its bothers me how the menu is under the tabs and the search bar.  Is it me or every time Microsoft updates something do the icons get shinier?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Ahmad on 08-01-2005 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
Is it me or every time Microsoft updates something do the icons get shinier?
It's true :P

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by _Humphreys on 08-03-2005 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A.Madsen
So suddenly FireFox invented tabs?

No they didn't but you can't tell me that Microsoft didn't take one look at Firefox and start copying it.

The browser looks exactly the same as Firefox.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by *Saint* on 08-03-2005 at 08:24 PM

how many possible ways is there for it to look
Netscape Opera and Firfox all have that google search thing after the adress bar so why doesnt microsoft put theirs every other browser has tabs now so why not get those also they all need to have the same basic things and theres only so many ways to put it unless you have some kind of theme

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by rav0 on 08-04-2005 at 06:27 AM

The basic elements are tabs, back/forward/etc buttons, a menu bar, and a big space for displaying pages. There isnt much difference there can be between different browsers. Unless you have tabs along the side and back/forward/etc buttons at the bottom, and if they were, people would complain that Microsoft wasn't following convention. You can only expect the browsers to look similar.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Mentality on 08-15-2005 at 12:37 PM

quote:
people would complain that Microsoft wasn't following convention. You can only expect the browsers to look similar.

Well said rav0 thats right.

The only thing i hate bout is where they put the address bar, it just don't look right. it looks odd. I converting back
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Vilkku on 08-15-2005 at 01:02 PM

Can't you move them around as in IE6?

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Rubber Stamp on 08-15-2005 at 03:40 PM

the positioning of the bars is weird!!

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Mentality on 08-15-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Can't you move them around as in IE6?

Yeah but they won't move above the address bar, it's just wrong

I've just notcied that my sig says im using netscape 4, and im using IE 7, hmmm thats abit odd
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by rav0 on 08-17-2005 at 10:07 AM

They have locked the address bar at the top to prevent dodgy lookalike toolbars taking its spot.

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by trini on 08-17-2005 at 10:47 AM

It doesn't support hot drag'nd drop with links and menu-bar is at really annoying place, at least people should be able to choose themselves where to put it :-S

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by -Bogan- on 08-17-2005 at 10:59 AM

When I saw the screenshots of it I thought it was firefox. IE7 can die and go to hell. Stealling the greatness of the feirybird. Microsoft once again can't seem to be able to keap up with mozilla. They should quit and go straight to 10 and actually develope some good ideas for their browser because at the moment their really not doing a good enough job.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by rav0 on 08-18-2005 at 07:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-
When I saw the screenshots of it I thought it was firefox
Maybe you saw a fake screenshot. there were lots of mockups that were made using real firefox screenshots.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Mentality on 08-18-2005 at 09:30 AM

I installed longhorne beta on my computer last night which naturally wrote over my IE7 and the first thing i noticed is that when i went to my IE explorer it looked very much similar to seven, so i reckon the new version of IE is just getting ready for the release of vista which I must add, is very very nice. im updating to the new beta again very soon, just a friend already had the longhorne version on dvd and i couldnt wait. me and my lack of patience.

Take a look here
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Mentality182/IE6Longhorne.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Mentality1...Longhorneabout.jpg

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Fergy on 08-20-2005 at 03:16 AM

Internet will never be as secure as firefox hackingwise, IE is written in VB, Firefox is written in Mozilla. It is way easier to hack into VB programs than Mozilla Programs

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by [MR] on 08-20-2005 at 03:20 AM

tylerG and i tried it on his computer and it was ok i guess...just the visuals were messed up but then he changed the skin and the visuals went back to normal or somthing like that.  i still like firefox better

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by prashker on 08-20-2005 at 03:38 AM

And also on some sites when u try to download something it stops and freezed and gives u a ClockUIEngine error

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Hank on 08-20-2005 at 04:09 AM

remember its still a Beta so its likely to have errors

RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by surfichris on 08-20-2005 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fergy
Internet will never be as secure as firefox hackingwise, IE is written in VB, Firefox is written in Mozilla. It is way easier to hack into VB programs than Mozilla Programs

rofl.

IE isn't written in Visual Basic 8-)
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by segosa on 08-20-2005 at 07:54 AM

quote:

A while ago someone said that his computing teacher said that phrase.. that EXACT phrase.. down to every last word.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by Purity on 08-20-2005 at 10:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by trini
It doesn't support hot drag'nd drop with links and menu-bar is at really annoying place, at least people should be able to choose themselves where to put it :-S
I love drag and drop..... Maxthon has an awsome drag and drop system... you cam drag and drop anything, like images, takes you to the image in a new window.....the url will be in temp files I believe..... :P  you can also drag and drop just plain text.... etc.....

keep in mind that it's still in beta. ;)
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by ShawnZ on 08-20-2005 at 02:20 PM

quote:
IE is written in VB,
no its not.
quote:
Firefox is written in Mozilla.
Mozilla isnt even a language, its an organization.
quote:
It is way easier to hack into VB programs than Mozilla Programs
What does it matter what language it uses? either you leave secuirty holes in it or you don't.

http://205.209.177.141/albino_files007/posting(ww...lacksheep.com).swf thanks.
RE: Internet Explorer 7: First Impressions? by [MR] on 08-20-2005 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
IE is written in VB,
no its not.
quote:
Firefox is written in Mozilla.
Mozilla isnt even a language, its an organization.
quote:
It is way easier to hack into VB programs than Mozilla Programs
What does it matter what language it uses? either you leave secuirty holes in it or you don't.

http://205.209.177.141/albino_files007/posting(ww...lacksheep.com).swf thanks.

rofl dont know where fergy got that from