Shoutbox

Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking (/showthread.php?tid=48218)

Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by Tasha on 07-28-2005 at 11:01 AM

I expect all of you know about the alert you get when you close a mass conversation, or block someone. The one that says "Are you sure you want to do this?" blah blah. And then you have the tick box underneath. I am quite sure I never ticked that, because I like to have to alert, but since I installed StuffPlug, the alert has gone. Now, I disabled StuffPlug, and it didn't come back, so maybe I did tick it, saying I didn't want it to ask me everytime, I dunno, I dont remember ticking it... But is there anyway I can get it back? I have un-installed and re-installed MSN, but nope, nothing.
Oh, and i'm not using the BETA.

Any help?

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by mwe99 on 07-28-2005 at 03:08 PM

You can try uninstalling StuffPlug and see if it comes back.

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by Tasha on 07-28-2005 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
You can try uninstalling StuffPlug and see if it comes back.

I said I had disabled it. :p
I did fully un-install.. Didn't do anything to help at all.
Surely there must be a way to switch this back on? :undecided:

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by user27089 on 07-28-2005 at 03:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Surely there must be a way to switch this back on?

That's what I keep thinking, I can't find anything, I've done the same thing as you, it's just annoying :(.
RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by mwe99 on 07-28-2005 at 03:20 PM

quote:
I said I had disabled it.

Probably is, it's just not on show. I'll do some research. Are you running 7.0 or 6.2?

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by user27089 on 07-28-2005 at 03:23 PM

I'm running 7.0.815 btw, in case you want to know mine, as I have the same problem.

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by Tasha on 07-28-2005 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
quote:
I said I had disabled it.

Probably is, it's just not on show. I'll do some research. Are you running 7.0 or 6.2?

I looked through all of my options.. nothing. o_o
RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by mwe99 on 07-29-2005 at 01:16 AM

Okay well I wrote to MSN which my reply was:

My name is Basti and I understand that you want to see the pop up again that asks you "Are you sure you want to do this?" in MSN Messenger. I know how important this service is to you and let me assist you.

Please take note that this message appears only once, that is once you are invited by someone to add on the contact list or closing a conversation window for the very first you had the conversation with one contact. It will not appear anymore.

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by siebe on 07-29-2005 at 02:40 AM

Right. Well, I'm running Windows Vista right now so I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm pretty sure its the same on any other system.

First off, MSN Messenger stores these settings in the register. So, we'll need regedit. Close MSN Messenger completely (I think signing off will do, but just close it to be sure). Then go to start --> run and type "regedit" and hit start/run/ok whatever the label says.

Then locate the folder "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings".  In this folder you will find a couple of subfolders, each labeled with an ID (large number). To figure out your id, go to http://siebe.bot2k3.net/scripts/msn/id.php, fill in your email address and click "calculate".

Once you have your ID open up that folder in regedit and then look for three values, DSFTWarn, DSIMBlock & DSIMClose. The first is to warn you when someone sends you a file, the second when you block someone and the last one for when you try to close the window. If you double click them you will be able to edit their values.

The editing is a bit tricky, so here is how you can do it best: double click on them to bring up the edit dialog. Put your cursor after the first "01" (if correctly it should read "01 00 00 00") so your cursor would be somewhere like "01| 00 00 00" there. Now hit backspace, and type a zero ("0"). It should now read "00 00 00 00". Voila, youre done. Clikc OK (or w/e) and close regedit. Open up Messenger and sign in again. The warnings should have been reset.

I wonder why Messenger support doesn't give you these tips :P *cough*

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by CookieRevised on 07-29-2005 at 07:26 AM

DSPage
Warning when sending a mobile phone/pager message

DSTabPrivacy
Warning when someone not on your contact list sends you a message

DSBuddyListSaved
'contactlisted exported' message

DSBkgndMode (<= this is not saved per passport, but located in the parent tree)
Balloon tooltip (or messagebox) when you close the main contact list window

See my last post for complete list:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48...d=504199#pid504199

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by Tasha on 07-29-2005 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for that siebe. Only problem is, I didn't have a DSIMBlock. :s I got the Mass conversation one sorted out, but still not the block one. o_o

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by user27089 on 07-29-2005 at 12:30 PM

Thankyou for that Cookie & Siebe, I've been trying to sort this out for a while now, it's quite irritating when you think about it, that you have to go through so many stages simply to get some small alerts back, there should be something in the preferences that says "show alerts when leaving a mass convo & ending the webcam session" or whatever.

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by siebe on 07-29-2005 at 04:56 PM

Weird you dont have the DSIMBlock one. Maybe you can add it yourself? Go to your folder again in the regedit app, and right click on the right pane, then select "New" and click on "Binary value" in the new menu that pops up.

Name the new key DSIMBlock and double click on it to edit it. Then type 8 zeros ("0"). Click OK (or w/e) and voila, you shouldve created the key.

Maybe someone could make a MSN Registery Tweak app which allows you to do this kind of stuff quicker. And I agree that these options should be in Messengers options somewhere.

RE: RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by x2zen on 07-29-2005 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by siebe
Maybe someone could make a MSN Registery Tweak app which allows you to do this kind of stuff quicker.
Here you go :)
RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by Tasha on 07-29-2005 at 07:46 PM

I created it myself, and nothing. o_o Even used the registry tweaker, and that didn't work either. :(

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by siebe on 07-29-2005 at 08:04 PM

Very nice Madsen! :)

Edit: Tasha, we are talking about the block button in a conversation right? Because I just tested and that is clearly DSIMBlock. I dont know if there are any values for the contactlist.. Dont think so?

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by Tasha on 07-29-2005 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by siebe

Edit: Tasha, we are talking about the block button in a conversation right? Because I just tested and that is clearly DSIMBlock. I dont know if there are any values for the contactlist.. Dont think so?

I was talking about in the contact list actually. I would have thought it was the same for both. The one for the conversation is now working though.
RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by CookieRevised on 07-30-2005 at 03:53 AM

There is no warning in the contactlist for this. The message you'll get is the one which asks you if you also want to delete the contact. There is no "don't ask me again" option for that.

EDIT: Maybe try this one (same old story REG_BINARY, 4 zero bytes, blahblah): DSIMMPBlock
I don't know exactly what this does so...

PS:
All the 'saved per passport' keys in this context:
DSIMBlock (*)
Warning when you block/unblock someone from inside a conversation
DSIMMPBlock (*)
Warning when you block/unblock someone from inside a group conversation
DSIMClose (*)
Warning when you close a group conversation
DSFTWarn (*)
Warning when someone sends you a file
DSPage (*)
Warning when sending a mobile phone/pager message
DSWatchPage
(?)
DSBuddyListSaved (*)
Message after you've exported your contact list
DSBuddyListLoaded (*)
Message after you've imported your contact list
DSSaveAsRtf
Warning when you save a conversation log
DSTabPrivacy (*)
(?)
DSDropOfflineBuddy
(?)
DSRunTestActivity
(?)

All the 'saved in root' keys in this context:
DSBkgndMode
Balloon tooltip message when you close the main contact list window
DSBlockAllOthers
Warning when a contact sends you a message and isn't in your allow list and "Allow everybody" is not ticked

Unknown:
RegTelDontAskAgain
DragDropDontAskAgain

Note: (*) = Can also occur in the root! So, check in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger itself for these values also.

RE: Alert When Closing Mass Conversations or Blocking by siebe on 07-30-2005 at 02:36 PM

quote:
DSTabPrivacy (*)
(?)
This warning will be displayed when you first open a Tab. Something along the lines of "Do you want to sign in here blabla". I think :P