Shoutbox

2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. (/showthread.php?tid=48233)

2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by Xtrician on 07-28-2005 at 04:28 PM

I Think about nice feature that im sort the contacts by status or by name..
this feature included in Miranda-IM ..

and there is a good thing if Patchou will make a 'Release Page' wich show us the status of the next release of Messenger Plus!

Patchou - Think on it..

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by qgroessl on 07-28-2005 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xtrician
I Think about nice feature that im sort the contacts by status or by name..
this feature included in Miranda-IM ..

What exactly do you mean?... Just like a... "group contacts by status" type of thing? Or what?
RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by RaceProUK on 07-29-2005 at 08:08 PM

Sorting by custom name isn't possible due to the way in which the feature works - Messenger automatically sorts by e-mail, and there's no way round it.

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by multimillion2k on 07-29-2005 at 10:58 PM

Hi Xtrician, were you aware that you can change the way your contacts are viewed?
[Image: attachment.php?pid=504042]

Or are you referring to the MsgPlus 'custom names' feature? As raceprouk mentioned, sorting custom names isn't possible.

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by Xtrician on 07-30-2005 at 03:26 PM

No.. i mean to sort the contact list by status.. Online, Not Here, Bussy
Like ICQ

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by RaceProUK on 07-31-2005 at 08:09 PM

It'd probably have to be done by MSN themselves. Although, I suppose there is a way you could do it using a plugin - come to think of it, it is possible, if someone wishes to program it.

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by mwe99 on 07-31-2005 at 10:41 PM

Personally I don't think it's a good idea, I wouldn't like my contacts moving around every so often as their status changes.

RE: RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by qgroessl on 07-31-2005 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Personally I don't think it's a good idea, I wouldn't like my contacts moving around every so often as their status changes.

Now that we're talking about it it does sound kinda like a pain... I think I'd use it and get used to it and all that... But at first it'd be kinda weird.
RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by brian on 07-31-2005 at 11:08 PM

If Patchou wasn't able to sort them by 'name', I don't think he will be able to sort them by 'status' too.

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by qgroessl on 07-31-2005 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Brian
If Patchou wasn't able to sort them by 'name', I don't think he will be able to sort them by 'status' too.

Actually I don't know... status is completely different then the custom names... Cause the custom names not everybody had a custom name, so they went by email addy didn't they?... with status it would be just like grouping offline contacts together wouldn't it?
RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by CookieRevised on 08-01-2005 at 12:19 AM

It is exactly the same issue, qgroessl....

Messenger Plus! does not sort the contacts, if you use custom names or not. In fact Messenger Plus! doesn't contain any code for sorting the contact list at all. It totaly let MSN Messenger handle that stuff.

In case for custom names, Messenger Plus! only changes the item (aka: what you see on a line), it doesn't change the item's visible location in that list. Since Messenger Plus! needs the emails to detect which item is which contact and thus which custom name, the list has to be in "View By Email" so Plus! can take and compare the internal texts of the items. Result, they are sorted by email address (because, as said, Plus! doesn't change anything to the order of which MSN Messenger displays them).

In case for statusses, this is exactly the same. Plus! only changes the last thing on the listview's item, it doesn't alter the visible nor internal order. Hence Plus! will not sort the list on statusses either...

Now why is it that Plus! let MSN Messenger handle the sorting? Because of the amount of work it would take to sort the list! It isn't a simple "IF B>A Then Swap A with B", there are many pitfalls in that list. For starters it is devided in groups, so you have to change that as well. Then there are the many combinations of MSN Messenger sorting itself which must be ignored constantly each time MSN Messenger updates the list, etc... Not to mention the problems which could/will occur because of the altered internal indexes of the list because you sorted the list yourself, etc..., etc...

It isn't so straitforward as it may seem. Possible? Yes... Doable? If Patchou has heaps of time...

Possible with a plugin? In theory yes... Doable? Not worth the amount of massive work and debugging. There are far 'easier' jobs which could be done with plugins, but are never done because nobody wanted to spend time on them. So I very highly doubt someone is willing to spend time on this and produce a half-working plugin which is bound to have problems...

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by RaceProUK on 08-03-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
it is possible, if someone wishes to program it.
But you'll have to override the user's own gropus in order to do it.

In more detail:
You could set up a group for each status i.e. Online, Be Right back, etc., then when a contact's status changes, you add it to the correct group and remove it from the incorrect group.
RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by Max on 08-03-2005 at 06:57 PM

To put things into perspective.

[Image: contact3cx.gif]

Am I right?

Patches

RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by RaceProUK on 08-04-2005 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

Am I right?

Patches
Spot on ;)
RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by qgroessl on 08-04-2005 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

Am I right?

Patches

Nice! Was that a screen shot... or something you put together in a computer program?... cause if you could make that that'd be sweet!
RE: 2 Must feature request + 1 nice feature.. by Max on 08-05-2005 at 08:35 AM

Its just a screenshot. I am sorry, just not a coder. :(

Patches