Shoutbox

Last missed messeges [Feature Request] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] (/showthread.php?tid=48243)

Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by Xtrician on 07-28-2005 at 10:28 PM

Sometimes when im not on pc and my brother on the pc he see the messeges of my friends send me and close it.
i need a feature that show me the last messeges i recived by time and show me the messege and the friend who send me.

i can to see if someone send me a messege in the Logged Files but i need to guess and check every people..

Please this feature is important!

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by robochief on 07-28-2005 at 11:17 PM

Exactly! I need the exact same thing.
Always wanted it but never asked for it.
A double appreciation for whoever can make this kind of plug-in. :)

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by CookieRevised on 07-29-2005 at 12:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Xtrician
Sometimes when im not on pc and my brother on the pc he see the messeges of my friends send me and close it.
i need a feature that show me the last messeges i recived by time and show me the messege and the friend who send me.

i can to see if someone send me a messege in the Logged Files but i need to guess and check every people..

Please this feature is important!
simply check your log files...

To be more detailed, look at the time/date of the logs in your log directory. Every file with a time/date later than when you left the pc has a new entry... (in other words, you don't need to open each log, simply sort the file list on time/date and check only those which are updated)

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by qgroessl on 07-29-2005 at 12:50 AM

Or! You could use the messenger lock... Works perfectly ;)

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by mwe99 on 07-29-2005 at 04:35 AM

Additionally create his own user account on the PC, the messenger lock mentioned above is available in

Plus > Preferences > Privacy Protection > Messenger Lock

You can set a password to 'unlock' the session if you want the added security. Also, you can choose a status you wish to be seen as, and a keyboard shortcut if needs must.

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by qgroessl on 07-29-2005 at 04:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Additionally create his own user account on the PC, the messenger lock mentioned above is available in

Plus > Preferences > Privacy Protection > Messenger Lock

You can set a password to 'unlock' the session if you want the added security. Also, you can choose a status you wish to be seen as, and a keyboard shortcut if needs must.

yeah... I'd have said all that... But I figured just the idea was fine, you could figure it out... Also I'm not sure, but Boss protection might work also for what you need, that would require no password, and would make your messenger look like a different program if you'd like that.
RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by Xtrician on 07-29-2005 at 10:31 AM

The Protection is great but sometimes im forget it..
and about to check the log files is take time and i need to check everybody..

but if there is a window that show me the last peoples who send me messeges by time this will very help..

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by qgroessl on 07-29-2005 at 01:09 PM

but if there is a window that show me the last peoples who send me messeges by time this will very help..

Ohh! I think I know what you mean now... It could be like, while your away it holds your messages, and as soon as you change your status to online, your messages pop up?... This would be an idea for a plug-in, you could go into the plug-in forum and ask it there.

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by Sunshine on 07-29-2005 at 02:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xtrician

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To be more detailed, look at the time/date of the logs in your log directory. Every file with a time/date later than when you left the pc has a new entry... (in other words, you don't need to open each log, simply sort the file list on time/date and check only those which are updated)

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by Xtrician on 07-29-2005 at 03:04 PM

Im not stupid im do it too..
im sort the log files by date modifed but its still not good like the feature im say..

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by robochief on 07-29-2005 at 10:37 PM

Yes, of course Boss Protection works fine, but can't it be done? (what he asks for in first place)

RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by cashmc on 08-24-2005 at 08:38 PM

Messenger Discovery X - does this for you. you can enable it to hold your messages when your status is set to away.

At the moment it doesnt support the new messenger 7.5, but a update is due with in the next few hours

http://www.msgdiscovery.com/download.php

RE: RE: Last missed messeges [Feature Request] by CookieRevised on 08-25-2005 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by robochief
Yes, of course Boss Protection works fine, but can't it be done? (what he asks for in first place)

sure it can...

The question is, is it also usefull for thousands of people and equaly important: isn't there any other way which already exists which does the same thing or is there a cause to all this which should be solved instead of making workarounds (aka learn to use a computer and put 1 and 1 together... no offense though, I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, I'm just trying to make a global point as why certain stuff isn't added).

In this case, there are alternatives or things you logically would/could do to prevent such situations....

eg: Your brother takes control of your messenger? Then lock it. Or even lock Windows.... This is the cause of the situation and the solution is simple, don't let your brother use the PC while you are away for a minute. It is almost the same as asking to add a system in Plus! so your brother can't start up certain programs anymore. Again, the same cause, but not up to Plus! to fix that...

Another already existing, and explained, method is to learn to use Windows Explorer and sorting your chatlogs...

Another already existing, and suggested, method is to use boss protection or other method of locking down Messenger while you are away.

Another already existing, but bit dodgy, method is to use the quoting system build in into Plus!

etc...

Thus, such features are not quickly added as there are far more usefull or more unique things (which don't have existing workarounds) to add first.

--------------------------------

blah, its hard to explain though, especially when my mother tongue isn't English; anyways since MessengerDiscovery X seems to have such a feature (according to cashmc... personaly I don't know) you could install that together with Plus! for the time being...

--------------------------------

EDIT: come to think of it, there is even another workaround I think (if it is possible; it is just a wild thought): Install StuffPlug NG and make an autotalker which saves the last x messages and the contact who said them, let the autotalker save it to a file and add a quicktext command to open that file when you need to....