Shoutbox

Recycle bin wont empty - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Recycle bin wont empty (/showthread.php?tid=48274)

Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 07-30-2005 at 12:04 AM

Ok heres the thing when i right click the bin and click empty it says "are you sure you want to delete these 15 items" thingy and i press yes and it makes that sound of it being deleted but then if i right click on it again and click empty it just comes back up with the "are you sure..." thing and if i go in the bin there are no visable files in there and i've checked the show hidden files tab as well...anybody know whats going on or how to fix it??

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by Stigmata on 07-30-2005 at 12:13 AM

try delete each one as a individual?

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 07-30-2005 at 12:29 AM

But i cant 'cos i cant see the individual files

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by multimillion2k on 07-30-2005 at 12:36 AM

someone had a similar problem on here before.
Try the Recycle bin download on the right of line 64 at Kelly's Korner and see if that works.

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 07-30-2005 at 03:06 AM

Nope didnt work...thanks for the help anyways

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by Starforce2 on 07-30-2005 at 03:17 AM

Get the trial version of BCwipe or the free Eraser (data scrubbers) both will delete files very well. If ti can't delete, BCwipe will attempt to do so at startup (you must select the option) to eliminate the "in use" problem, so perhaps that will work. Both can be found on download.com.

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by multimillion2k on 07-30-2005 at 03:24 AM

check out this topic - it may be of some help.

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by WDZ on 07-30-2005 at 04:38 AM

I've had that problem before in Windows 98, and restarting the PC always fixed it...

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 07-30-2005 at 05:10 AM

Hmm..i tried BCwipe and it did the trick so i double checked and made a new folder and then deleted it but it didnt go to the recycle bin...and my bin is empty now oh well...

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by CookieRevised on 07-30-2005 at 07:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Starforce2
Get the trial version of BCwipe or the free Eraser (data scrubbers) both will delete files very well. If ti can't delete, BCwipe will attempt to do so at startup (you must select the option) to eliminate the "in use" problem, so perhaps that will work. Both can be found on download.com.
Although such programs do an excellent job in deleting files, you must be very carefull in using them. eg: Do NOT delete files from the recycle bin with such programs!!! The recycle bin is not simply a folder with some files in it, it is a special object maintained by Windows itself. Deleting files from the recycle bin with programs which don't fully support Windows' bin, will render the recycle bin corrupt!

Furthermore, programs wich actually forcefully unlock files which are locked can do big damage to other programs which used the files and to the internal links maintained by Windows. Again, such tools should only be used if you know what you're doing...

quote:
Originally posted by ray18
Hmm..i tried BCwipe and it did the trick so i double checked and made a new folder and then deleted it but it didnt go to the recycle bin...and my bin is empty now oh well...
This clearly proofs that your recycle bin references and objects are fu*ked up...

Try the reg file which multimillion2k pointed to. After that (and without doing anything else) delete some random file from your hdd so it ends up in the bin, after that restart your computer.

You also could try to delete the file desktop.ini if it is in the recylce bin. If so, delete it manually and again restart computer.
RE: Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 07-30-2005 at 08:22 AM

nah it doesn't turn up in the Recycle bin its not that much of a problem is it? i've just gotta be carefull of what i delete, and theres always syestem restore i guess if it is a big problem.

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by Reaper on 07-31-2005 at 02:30 PM

as i mentioned in the topic i made about this there a few fixes but they dont always work but heh its worth the try :P:

1) make a file of any kind, for example a text file, then send it to the recycle bin and then empty your recycle bin

2) Assuming your running Win XP, in the task manager, terminate the explorer.exe process, then run it again by going to the applications tab in the task manager, then click New Task and type in explorer.exe. After this empty recycle bin.

3) Start your pc in safe mode and empty recycle bin

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 08-01-2005 at 12:17 PM

I can't empty my recycle bin because it comes up there is nothing in it..

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by brian on 08-01-2005 at 01:24 PM

Maybe you have a registrey tweak that permentatly delete's every file, just google it, its a registery tweak

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by NiteMare on 08-01-2005 at 01:27 PM

i had a similar problem before, try this thread

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=39...d=398289#pid398289

RE: Recycle bin wont empty by ray18 on 08-02-2005 at 05:38 AM

I'm not a very computer wise person, so i dont know if i want to tweak/mess around with the registery 'cos i think i'll just stuff it up more...thanks for the help NiteMare but the problem is still there =(