Shoutbox

Logging XP User Log On Times - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Logging XP User Log On Times (/showthread.php?tid=48302)

Logging XP User Log On Times by mwe99 on 07-30-2005 at 10:39 PM

Is there a way i can log how much a certain user has been logged on my computer? I'm going away on Monday and would like to log how many hours the PC user has been logged on in my absense.

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by multimillion2k on 07-30-2005 at 11:12 PM

Are you only after times? If you have XP Pro then you can enable process tracking. If you don't, you could get a little app to run at startup and shutdown which logs a time? It may be easier just to download one of those event tracker/keyloggers.

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by mwe99 on 07-31-2005 at 01:07 PM

Im running XPHOME and just do want times, im not bothered actually what they do, just how much time is spent logged on

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by Nathan on 07-31-2005 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Are you only after times? If you have XP Pro then you can enable process tracking. If you don't, you could get a little app to run at startup and shutdown which logs a time? It may be easier just to download one of those event tracker/keyloggers.
Yer just download one like that it tells you how long they are on for and what they do.
If you dont want to  know what they do  then dont look :P

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by YottabyteWizard on 07-31-2005 at 04:27 PM

Here you go, i would say this to you, but this is much better explained.
http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2003/03/how_to_restrict_log-.php

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by multimillion2k on 07-31-2005 at 09:30 PM

Take a look at this:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=504724]

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

I don't understand when most of this means but at least you have a pretty good idea of when the computer has been active.

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by multimillion2k on 07-31-2005 at 09:38 PM

Also, if you've got an anti-virus program I think that will definitely have logs too. This is probably more accurate as it logs when it starts and stops, which surprisingly also happens to be when you log in and out..
[Image: attachment.php?pid=504728]

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by WDZ on 08-01-2005 at 05:00 AM

I'd use the Event Viewer like multimillion2k said. You can quickly access that by doing Start > Run > eventvwr.msc then going to the Security section.

When a user logs on, a "Logon/Logoff" event (number 528) will be generated, and it will show the associated username as well as the exact time. The same goes for logging off, except the event number is 551.

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by rav0 on 08-01-2005 at 07:38 AM

What's it mean if it says Failure Audit instead of Success Audit?

RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by WDZ on 08-01-2005 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
The logon failed? :p

It's probably either a mistyped password or a "feature" of the welcome screen... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q305822/
RE: Logging XP User Log On Times by multimillion2k on 08-01-2005 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I don't know, but I was looking through my other computer and it had Failure Audit heaps, wheas this computer has none. I didn't take a good look, but I think perhaps it has something to do with networking to other computers?