Shoutbox

Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. (/showthread.php?tid=48397)

Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 08-02-2005 at 03:44 PM

[ANGRYRANT]

I am getting increasingly fed-up of people who just constantly bash Microsoft for the sheer hell of it. :@ Most of those who do it don't seem to have any idea about what they are really talking about anyway OR are jealous.

Fine, Windows has bugs. ALL software has bugs, of some sort or another. Sometimes they are big, sometimes small. This wouldn't be a problem if ALL computers had exactly the same hardware/software/configuration combinations, but they don't. Only when the software is finally released can you find out how it reacts on different configurations (something I have already found out with a few web designs, that work fine on one server, and go wrong on another). Microsoft have taken on the task, of making an Operating System (a complicated peice of software within its own right), but they also try to make it as universally compatible as possible, so it can run on almost any system configuration. This is why it has so many problems (not to mention that everyone is trying to hack it all the time - the problem is with the hackers, not the software).

Maybe trying to make it so universally compatible is a bad thing... MAYBE. Linux doesn't contain all of the drivers required to run it on your system, hence why many people have to go driver hunting - not something your average Joe could do (no offence to members called Joe)?

Macs look all super flashy and stuff, and they run somethings differently which make them better for certain projects, but from my understanding of them, there aren't half as many possible system configurations as there are on a PC.

(An example of how many system configs there must be: our house has two PCs, each running various peices of hardware and software, and each with different software set-ups. If I was to take the PCs apart, and put all the bits back together, I could probably get a good 20-30 different system configurations from the parts).

People are already moaning about Vista Beta1. It doesn't run, there aren't any drivers, etc.... Its a Beta, not the final thing. MS have already stated that it IS missing alot of things that will be going into Beta2, and have also said that we should wait until Beta2 is released for a better picture of what Vista will be like.

What is even more annoying is people who moan about problems with ILLEGALLY obtained software. Ill admit that I once used to run an illegal copy of XP (I didn't realise it was illegal for about a month after getting it). It crashed loads, and was generally shit. When I discovered it was illegal, I bought the genuine article, and it has run perfectly for about a year and a half, with only two major problems (both were duff memory sticks).

All in all, I believe that Microsoft do a pretty good job at what they are trying to do, and people constantly bashing them doesn't help.

Another annoyance I have about Microsoft bashers, are that alot of the people who have so many system crashes, errors or problems, are normally doing one of two things:

a) running strange skins, modifications or alike. (Nothing wrong with running mods on the system, but don't blame MS when it crashes). NOTE: Ill exclude theme royale from "skins" as this is officially signed, and doesn't require third party software.

b) havent cleaned the spyware and other junk out in ages, and dont keep their PC generally "clean".

There are many technical benefits to using a different Operating System, but alot of people seem to expect Windows to be like Mac. If you want a Mac, go buy one, and stop complaining about Windows. Or start programming your own COMPLETELY universal Operating System.

With all that said, I am talking about Windows XP mainly. 95, 98 and ME did pretty much suck.

NOTE: I personally hate Apple Inc, as they seem to pull many more stunts than MS ever has.

[/ANGRYRANT]

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Voldemort on 08-02-2005 at 03:51 PM

You are absolutely right :^)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by absorbation on 08-02-2005 at 03:58 PM

i like micosoft, i'm using there products now. were would i be without word, windows etc? :P

we also seem to hate macs as well, most products work on microsoft windows :P

i belive that offering many products gives us choice, now somethings like internet expoler being in windows by default and making msn and other programs use it to work is a bit unfair, but this is being chnaged now :)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by ShawnZ on 08-02-2005 at 04:15 PM

im with you (Y)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by YottabyteWizard on 08-02-2005 at 04:34 PM

@Fourjays how long it took you to write that? :|

I like Microsoft, very good programs and easy use, but a lot of monopoly that all.

Also i tried Mandrake Linux and Red Hat Linux and realized that these aren't good for people that just turn on the computer and use 'Word', 'Excel', of Internet Explorer. Also i don't think there will be a...

quote:
Orinally posted by ~Fusion~
...perfect operating system

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by [MR] on 08-02-2005 at 05:07 PM

i like windows and all but i love macs just because i grew up with one.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Lou on 08-02-2005 at 05:12 PM

I don't like many things from Microsoft but....msn messenger, windows, microsoft word and sometimes microsoft front page comes in handy...I jsut think you did all this for nothing... people are aloud to have opinions right? Well I don't like microsoft much..lol ya right...ive got their anti spyware and everything..lol.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by John Anderton on 08-02-2005 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
You are absolutely right :^)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Max on 08-02-2005 at 06:21 PM

No Microsoft. No MSN. No MSN Messenger. No Messenger Plus!

See my point?

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by user27089 on 08-02-2005 at 06:23 PM

I agree with you there, I hate it when people start bashing Microsoft and stuff for no reason, I mean the odd joke about Microsoft can be okay, because they have brought out some crappy software and policies sometimes, but not constantly for no reason.

Great post Fourjays.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 08-02-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

See my point?

:o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
@Fourjays how long it took you to write that?

About ten minutes in ranting mode. :p

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Great post Fourjays.
Thank-you. :)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Tasha on 08-02-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:

See my point?

so so so so true. :p

Oh yeah, and:

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
You are absolutely right

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by CookieRevised on 08-02-2005 at 10:33 PM

@Fourjays

amen to that... that post should be printed in bold on a big piece of paper hanging over the bed of every basher...

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by ShawnZ on 08-02-2005 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
People are already moaning about Vista Beta1. It doesn't run, there aren't any drivers, etc.... Its a Beta, not the final thing. MS have already stated that it IS missing alot of things that will be going into Beta2, and have also said that we should wait until Beta2 is released for a better picture of what Vista will be like.

By the way, im sure most of the people that rant about Vista Beta 1 do it just as a joke, because everyone knows its beta and its pretty fun to laugh at how incompatible it is right now. But yes, it is a very stable operating system and im sure it'll work perfectly once its released.
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Purity on 08-02-2005 at 10:53 PM

bleh who cares....:dodgy:

:gay:

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Concord Dawn on 08-02-2005 at 11:19 PM

I bash it because they are so far behind lots of opensource projects. And don't even tell me, "well you run Windows". Not for much longer I won't. Windows is going to be phased out VERY soon on my computer. The only reason I still use Windows is for mixing music, since the program I use (Fruity Loops 5, quite good) doesn't run under Linux or Linux + Wine (Windows Emulator). Linux is perfectly capable of doing everything that Windows does, and with the same level of effort. The ONLY thing that Windows does better than Linux is a larger home user base. It makes it difficult to do some things with Linux, such as wireless NIC (Network Interface Card) drivers. Some manufacturers only provide drivers for Windows for some unclear reason, probably to do with development or money issues. But even there Linux is one step ahead. You can find a program called ndiswrapper, which allows you to use Windows wireless NIC drivers on Linux. Linux, in my opinion, is a much more forgiving operating system in that if something goes wrong, either from user error or software/hardware malfunction, it's fixable via the terminal. Or by LiveCD, yet another excellent feature of Linux. Linux comes in two major categories, either Live (meaning that you can run Linux off the CD, without installing anything) or install (meaning you have to install Linux before you can use it, similar to Windows). And some distros (flavours, similar to the difference between XP Pro and XP Home) come in both. Ubuntu Linux is a good example of that. On their site you can download (either via BitTorrent or HTTP) a CD ISO containing either the install or Live versions, or a DVD ISO containing both on the same CD. To me, Linux represents total control over my computer. No more diving into the cryptic (at least compared to a Control Panel) registry to change little known settings in order for Windows to stop doing some annoying things. It also represents freedom. Instead of being stuck with a short list of programs to do a specific task, I have hundreds of options. And it's so easy to interchange between them, especially with apt-get (applet that downloads and installs software automagically). Also, most programs come as source code, meaning you can edit and change them to your liking before you compile (turn the source code into executable files) them. So, to break it down simply, Linux is completely customizable and more forgiving about system changes than Windows. Which is why I like it better, and it's also why I say:

LONG LIVE OPEN SOURCE!

PS: Linux is also for non-newbs. You have to at least know a few basic things about a computer before using Linux.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Lou on 08-02-2005 at 11:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
I bash it because they are so far behind lots of opensource projects. And don't even tell me...
I dont personally use linux and believe me I am no programmer but jsut the fact that its free is alot for me because I'm thritheen years old...no job = no money. I cant jsut go ahead and buy a 300 operating system whenever I want...seriously...why make this thread? if people dont like microsoft, let them. Different os' for different personalities...just like microsoft and let them be. its not ahrd to ignore them.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Garndell on 08-03-2005 at 06:45 AM

The amusing thing is that everyone that hates Microsoft so much uses something Microsoft made and/or hold the patent for.  Seriously though, I use Linux but I tried to get my parents to use Mandriva and they got so lost I had to format the hard rive and re-install XP with their guest accounts, lol.

Macs, well it's about time they died out really.  Now they are going over to Intel is there really any point?

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by L. Coyote on 08-03-2005 at 08:39 AM

Meh, I'm with the people who says: who cares? Let people think whatever they want.

I don't like Microsoft. But I can't install Linux because I'm an idiot (and my mother is worse).

And whatever about "no Microsoft => no MSN => no MSNM => no MsgPlus!"

I'm sure that if there were no Microsoft, then Patchou would have had a Linux OS and made MsgPlus! for whatever messaging system there was, anyway. :wink:

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Max on 08-03-2005 at 08:55 AM

The base of Linux's security though, is a lie. The reason it doesn't have any viruses, is because only a minority of people use Linux, and subsequently virus programmer's can't be bothered to code viruses for Linux.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Anubis on 08-03-2005 at 09:29 AM

That post is so true, I am getting extremely tired of people just saying how crap Microsoft is without any valid comments as to why.
I won't lie, Firefox seems to be at least a year above IE in terms of features, bug fixes, and repairing of security holes. I think Firefox has proven just how good openSource browsers can be. That's the only really major flaw of MS that gets to me.
MS have contributed to the world of technology, and thanks to their widely used platform which is built for good home use and business use, everyone has an operating system that can be used at varying levels of knowledge and do what you want with the minimum of hassle.

quote:

The base of Linux's security though, is a lie. The reason it doesn't have any viruses, is because only a minority of people use Linux, and subsequently virus programmer's can't be bothered to code viruses for Linux.
The fact that a lot of developers do work on making it more secure also helps; but yes you are totally right, everyone will pick on Windows since its the most popular OS and therefore the OS that you're going to have the biggest impact on by exploiting it.
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 08-03-2005 at 09:43 AM

quote:

Your absolutely right. It was the same for IE, but now FF is taking over, FF is starting to get hacked a bit too. I'll still use FF though, coz it just renders pages better.

Don't take me wrong, Im not against Open Source programs and such (I much prefer my Linux server, to Windows ones I have had before), Im just against those who just say "MS is crap" without any real reason for backing up their statement.
RE: RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Svip on 08-03-2005 at 10:19 AM

quote:

Wrong. Many server mainframes are using Linux instead of Windows, and using Linux viruses would cause a much more serious effect on the Internet, and thus giving the reason to make Linux viruses a much better reason instead of Windows viruses.

Maybe most people wont see the viruses as most people uses Windows, but this might also be the best for the virus makers.

And a lot of people know this, but why are there no viruses for Linux? Perhaps because you can't write them? Hmmm?

EDIT: Oh and, I don't hate MS without reasoning. I have a lot of reasons why I hate MS.
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Max on 08-03-2005 at 10:22 AM

You are right, thanks for correcting me. :)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by user27089 on 08-03-2005 at 10:27 AM

Chaotic Shield, a lot of the features that you just spoke about, were using stuff that would allow windows drivers, and windows features on Linux. There is no point, people like Linux because it's "open source", I mean, come on, a lot of people wouldn't understand how to use it. Just because it is open source, doesn't mean it is any better at all.

Windows is the base of most programs that are available to download, and the programs that you do download generally have more features for Windows than any other operating system, like Mac for instance, there are programs that you can download for a windows computer that would be packed with features, and then you will download one for a macintosh and the features will be crap, simply because less people use the Mac. I mean, come on, everybody has heard of windows and used windows in their life time, I bet the minority have even seen a Mac in use.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Svip on 08-03-2005 at 10:32 AM

Hey, you are forgetting something, Linux don't want to wipe out the market from Microsoft, as it knows that it currently can't ( because a lot of people are locked within Windows, because of programs/games only written for Windows ).

So Linux just want people who want to try something different, Linux also knows that it wins on the server market. So Linux wont die any time soon.

And Microsoft is going to write it's own Linux distro soon.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by user27089 on 08-03-2005 at 10:35 AM

I'm not dissing Linux at all, I like using Ubuntu, I use it when I'm bored and there is nothing else to do :).

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by saralk on 08-03-2005 at 11:12 AM

I wrote my business studies coursework on Microsoft's monopoly (i got 98% in it :D), I will upload it here

p.s. ignore the methodology, I didn't finish that and so left it out.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by user27089 on 08-03-2005 at 11:31 AM

That is a really well researched and well wrote essay, I read like the whole of it, and it was really good (y).

kisses. :kiss:.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Svip on 08-03-2005 at 11:45 AM

The only real error is that you state the Firefox is based on Netscape ( which it is not ), Firefox is based on the Gecko engine, which is also created by the Mozilla Foundation. Firefox is therefore based on Mozilla, Firebird and Phoniex.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 08-03-2005 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Svip
because a lot of people are locked within Windows, because of programs/games only written for Windows

True enough. It would be cool if there was a way for software developers to make their products inter-OS compatible, without having to re-code the entire thing. Something like that would probably have to come down to an agreement between the creators of different OS's, to build in some kind of special code into their systems. And that isn't going to happen.

quote:
Linux also knows that it wins on the server market
Easily. :) Only thing that annoys me sometimes is that the CHMODs can sometimes be a pain in the big behind, but they are there for security, so...

quote:
And Microsoft is going to write it's own Linux distro soon.
You learn something new everyday. It would be good for MS to join in the Open Source community a bit more.
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Max on 08-03-2005 at 11:47 AM

* Patches is going to use Saralk's Coursework as his own and re word it. :D

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by saralk on 08-03-2005 at 12:03 PM

quote:
* Patches is going to use Saralk's Coursework as his own and re word it. :D

1) :dodgy:
2) you can just type /me instead of using the colour codes :p

quote:
True enough. It would be cool if there was a way for software developers to make their products inter-OS compatible, without having to re-code the entire thing. Something like that would probably have to come down to an agreement between the creators of different OS's, to build in some kind of special code into their systems. And that isn't going to happen.

isn't that what Java is for?

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 08-03-2005 at 01:20 PM

Not sure really. I don't have much experience with it. Its installed on my system, my AV says once a week its found a virus in it (which is actually a file in the Java cache). Thats about all know. :D

Im talking about something that would let you take ANY peice of software, and install it on ANY OS, without buying a different version, or running any patches, etc.

For example, you could buy a game, and install it on Windows. You could then take that disc, and install it on Linux and Mac too.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Max on 08-03-2005 at 01:20 PM

Eh. I might as well do it the hard way. :P

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Hank on 08-03-2005 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I bet the minority have even seen a Mac in use

1st PC i ever used was a Apple mac, back in 1984 i think it was,  then my real use of PC's was at High skool. IBM clones.  but im not gonna get into a Debate an thats what the subject of this thread will do. im sure a lot of you know im a Linux Fan, i wont say why as its just gonna just be debatable  an turn into an arguement, so no point in doing thnatt. but with a lot of or some Windows Programs can be Ran on a Linux Playform  by using WINE , i have never installed a Windows Program in a Linux OS, i cant see the point in doing that, i now use Suse a bit but aint intending to stick with it,,  but both Windows an linux have there bad an good pointds
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 08-03-2005 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
but both Windows an linux have there bad an good pointds

Couldn't of put it better myself. :)

One thing Ive always noticed is that some people tend to prefer what they grew up with, which is quite a natural, normal, and reasonable explanation for having a preference over one system over another. :)
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by segosa on 08-03-2005 at 02:52 PM

I'll give you a good example where Linux wins for security.

Suppose you use Firefox 1.0.6 and an unpatched vulnerability is discovered. You already use a normal user account but if this exploit was abused it could allow malicious code to execute. What you could do is set up a new user 'firefox' and always run Firefox with that account's user permissions. In the rare case it might be exploited, the mailicious code could only do stuff inside /home/firefox, which would be an empty directory (of course this assumes you're patched and that there are no local root exploits...).

I know this can be done with Windows too, but Windows is far too ambiguous with what is possible on a user account for my liking.

I like Linux because it's different. It's a nice welcome change from Windows. Its powerful commandline attracts me also.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by lil_msdifficult on 08-03-2005 at 03:19 PM

I am in totally agreeance with the original posting for this. Great job on the rant for sure! ;)

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by emit on 08-03-2005 at 03:29 PM

Linux is vastly more stable, has higher uptimes and is more secure in general. What people don't realise about the existing viruses for Linux is that they are infinitely worse for the system, they rip the whole infrastructure apart. They're usually perl based too, so as long as you keep your perl secure you will never get a linux virus.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by albert on 08-03-2005 at 04:03 PM

blah, i always laugh at microsoft, especially for their cool windows bugs, but its always in a gentle way, ppl must know i will always use windows, it is the best thing out there

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by _Humphreys on 08-03-2005 at 07:52 PM

Then I would reply don't you hate people who flame people who flame microsoft. :P

I suppose Microsoft is alright, it's just all the dodgy stuff over the years.

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by _Humphreys on 08-04-2005 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~Fusion~
If you think though:
Where would we be without Microsoft? Using a Mac? i doubt it...

Nerds would use them and Mac wouldn't be in the mainstream so no chavs using them. :D
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by EvilSeph on 09-02-2005 at 02:26 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If they want to hate Microsoft - so be it, it is their loss. If you don't like something someone posts, don't read it - no one is forcing you.

In the end, you have no right to tell people to stop bashing Microsoft AND you are doing this in the wrong place - you have no right to tell people what their opinion is. Try Neowin.net's forums =).

For the record, I think your rant is biased and therefore irrelevant to this corporate war =).

RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by ShawnZ on 09-02-2005 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
Linux or Linux + Wine (Windows Emulator)

You're aware that Wine stands for "Wine is not an emulator" right? :rofl:
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by mad_onion on 09-02-2005 at 03:01 PM

i havent been on the forums for ages and i missed thsi entirely :( but i agree with the original poster. i find that many people when they come to forums have no problem with microsoft but they see the "Posting Freaks" bashing microsoft and copy it cause they think it is cool to do so, and i think many times it is seen as cool to bash microsoft and to love linux and anything open source.

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
For the record, I think your rant is biased and therefore irrelevant to this corporate war =).

lol what corporate war??? if you think microsoft is fighting any wars then you are severly mistaken. to what war exactly are you refering??
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Concord Dawn on 09-02-2005 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
Linux or Linux + Wine (Windows Emulator)

You're aware that Wine stands for "Wine is not an emulator" right? :lol:

No I wasn't. Thanks for pointing that out :-P
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Fourjays on 09-02-2005 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If they want to hate Microsoft - so be it, it is their loss. If you don't like something someone posts, don't read it - no one is forcing you.

In the end, you have no right to tell people to stop bashing Microsoft AND you are doing this in the wrong place - you have no right to tell people what their opinion is. Try Neowin.net's forums =).

I think you missed the point I was putting across - loads of people just flame em for the sake of it, with no real knowledge, understanding or anything to back up their opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion at all.

I hate Apple and Macintosh (bad experiences with their customer services and software), but I dont spend every moment telling everyone that Apple is shit. Ill tell them my expereinces of Apple and knowledge of, if asked (and relevant)... but I wont just go "Apple is shit, etc", without giving a half decent, reply.
RE: Rant against good for nothing MS bashers. by Concord Dawn on 09-02-2005 at 04:35 PM

quote:
quote:

I think you missed the point I was putting across - loads of people just flame em for the sake of it, with no real knowledge, understanding or anything to back up their opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion at all.

I hate Apple and Macintosh (bad experiences with their customer services and software), but I dont spend every moment telling everyone that Apple is shit. Ill tell them my expereinces of Apple and knowledge of, if asked (and relevant)... but I wont just go "Apple is shit, etc", without giving a half decent, reply.

And that's fair of you, but like EvilSeph said, everyone's entitled to their opinion, valid or not. Everyone believes themselves to be right.