Shoutbox

Being blocked out of my own router settings? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Being blocked out of my own router settings? (/showthread.php?tid=48439)

Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-03-2005 at 06:04 AM

Can anyone help-

im being blocked from accessing my own router settings, this has been happening for a while but i havnt needed to acess it till now..
When i go to 192.168.0.1 (default router adress) I get the connection is refused error in firefox.
I rung netgear 8 times but thier support is hopeless, two people said "hold on for just one minute" I waited ten minutes and they didnt come back..

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by ShawnZ on 08-03-2005 at 06:06 AM

Start > Run

cmd /k ipconfig/all > .\desktop\ipconfig.txt

upload ipconfig.txt (on your desktop)

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-03-2005 at 07:03 AM

You want my IP Settings?
Ive allready looked at my ipconfig
ive tried ipconfig/relese ipconfig/renew.

Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JOHNPC1
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : nsw.bigpond.net.au

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : nsw.bigpond.net.au
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-54-96-CA
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 61.9.192.14

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 3 August 2005 4:23:11 PM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 6 August 2005 4:23:11 PM

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Anubis on 08-03-2005 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
When i go to 192.168.0.1 (default router adress) I get the connection is refused error in firefox.
Can you accsess it with Windows Explorer\IE?

It also may be possible that you have accidentally tripped some setting that disallows access to your router unless a specific LAN IP address is used, or some other variable. In that case, if you can't access the router in IE, you may want to manually do a full reset of your router. Most routers have a physical way to do it from the outside of the case, check the manual for the router.
This way the router will be restored to the factory defaults, it may not be an ideal solution as you will loose all your settings, and if the problem with accessing the router is on your computer (and not the router) you may just have made your problem worse. However if this works, you will be able to access it, but will need to set everything back up again, unless you backed up your routers settings to a file for easy reloading.
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-03-2005 at 09:47 AM

No way to reset my router, you can unplug it from the power.. which is what ive done.. apart from that i dont know, the netgear website dosnt cover it either which i find to be shocking.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Anubis on 08-03-2005 at 10:01 AM

quote:

No way to reset my router, you can unplug it from the power.. which is what ive done
Nah, the router has a permanent storage device for data, so that won't reset it to factory defaults.
Did you try in Explorer to get to your router?

Also, I'd email netgear tech support, since they are the people who deal with this sort of thing every day, and if you paid for the router you are owed the support.
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by multimillion2k on 08-03-2005 at 10:43 AM

Could someone have haxxored your router? Very possible if you didn't change the access passwords. Likely though? I don't know.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Fourjays on 08-03-2005 at 11:33 AM

All routers I have come across have a way to reset it to factory defaults. Mine for example has one button on the front. You press it at certain times during its booting process, and it resets (it gives exact details in the manual). I would be highly surprised if your router doesn't have this ability.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-03-2005 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Could someone have haxxored your router? Very possible if you didn't change the access passwords. Likely though? I don't know.

No because i dont even get the dialog box for the password. I think its my router rejecting my PC for some reason.

My router's manual and the netgear website say nothing of how to reset it, thier tech support hasnt replied to me 3 emails.. ive posted a message on thier user forums about six hours ago but havnt got any replies
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by multimillion2k on 08-03-2005 at 12:24 PM

Can you connect to the internet through the router at the moment? Or can your computer not recognise it at all?
Start -> Run -> Type ping 192.168.0.1
If you get a response then it is more likely to be a router setting? If you get timed out, try the manual configuration shown at the bottom.

I found a similar thread but it didn't say how he fixed the problem.

If you still want to hard reset try googling your router model + hard reset

Edit: Oh, one idea to try first - Disable DHCP, Manually set your IP address to 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and DNS servers to 61.9.192.14/61.9.128.15. Reset your router (and computer if you're using win98) and see what happens. Only try this if you can't detect the router at all.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Nathan on 08-03-2005 at 02:39 PM

I have a netgear and there's like a tiny spot. When you get a pin or something and push it in it resets it. Just inspect every bit of it to see if it has one.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by YottabyteWizard on 08-03-2005 at 04:58 PM

It should have, it's something 'MUST' have in any router/external modem.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by multimillion2k on 08-03-2005 at 09:46 PM

I've heard of ones where you have to hold down the power button for x seconds, disconnect from the mains..

..click your heels twice, snap your fingers and do a cartwheel. Sheesh. What's wrong with a reset button?

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-04-2005 at 05:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Can you connect to the internet through the router at the moment? Or can your computer not recognise it at all?
Start -> Run -> Type ping 192.168.0.1
If you get a response then it is more likely to be a router setting? If you get timed out, try the manual configuration shown at the bottom.

I found a similar thread but it didn't say how he fixed the problem.

If you still want to hard reset try googling your router model + hard reset

Edit: Oh, one idea to try first - Disable DHCP, Manually set your IP address to 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and DNS servers to 61.9.192.14/61.9.128.15. Reset your router (and computer if you're using win98) and see what happens. Only try this if you can't detect the router at all.

I can connect to the net thru it.

Ive seen that thread allready, i think he just had the default adress wrong. When i ping my router the response is fine, dosnt drop any packets and only takes 1ms to acess.

As for manually setting my Ip adress, i did that a week before it screwed up and then when it did i went back to auto, ive tried going back to manual but couldnt acess it, and now (scince my ISP changed thier DNS Servers) when i manually set it i cant acess the net at all.

I swear it dosnt have a reset button, I cant see one, I cant see it in the manual, I cant see it on thier site, I cant see it in thier forums.
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by matty on 08-04-2005 at 05:49 AM

Odly enough have you checked the HOSTS file? (start > run > notepad.exe C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Anything in their relating to your router?

Can other PCs in the home access your router setup?

What is the exact model of the router?

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by multimillion2k on 08-04-2005 at 06:29 AM

I went to Netgear's site and I did a search on the forums - I found someone had exactly the same problem as you, but on closer inspection..
Thread: Can't access router through 192.168.0.1

Did you read the reply that that guy posted? He gave you instructions on performing a hard reset. I think it is important to let them know that you can still connect to the internet through it as well - they may assume that you can't detect the router at all.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-04-2005 at 08:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Odly enough have you checked the HOSTS file? (start > run > notepad.exe C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Anything in their relating to your router?

Can other PCs in the home access your router setup?

What is the exact model of the router?

Nothing relating to my router
Other pc's cannot acess it.
My router is a Netgear FR114P  ProSafe VPN Firewall w/4 Port 10/100 Switch and Print Server
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by ShawnZ on 08-04-2005 at 08:24 AM

There's a reset pinhole on the back of that model of router.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by WDZ on 08-04-2005 at 08:27 AM

quote:
I swear it dosnt have a reset button
O_o

Keep in mind that the actual button might be recessed inside the case to prevent accidental resetting, so all you'd see is a small hole to stick a paper clip or pen or something into.
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Blah... you posted right before I previewed my post... oh well, I'm gonna post anyway. :spam:
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Nathan on 08-04-2005 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I swear it dosnt have a reset button
O_o

Keep in mind that the actual button might be recessed inside the case to prevent accidental resetting, so all you'd see is a small hole to stick a paper clip or pen or something into.
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Blah... you posted right before I previewed my post... oh well, I'm gonna post anyway. :spam:
I posted it as well. :P
RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-04-2005 at 10:03 AM

But there is no hole.. i allready looked! Theres a white button and the holes for the various cables, the white button is for uplink.. Ill look again when im off the net but thanks for pointing it out incase i did miss it.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by multimillion2k on 08-04-2005 at 10:10 AM

My bad - I thought he'd said the power button :$
I'm a bit dopey, I haven't eaten for 24 hours.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by matty on 08-04-2005 at 03:36 PM

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11953810~start=-1~mode=flat

This is the only image i could find of the back of the router.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=506752]

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-09-2005 at 12:59 AM

OK i found the reset button... and reset it. Its working now but i have to do my port forwarding again *cries

thanks alot guys.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by multimillion2k on 08-09-2005 at 01:09 AM

Awesome! We thought you died.

RE: Being blocked out of my own router settings? by Pyroteq on 08-09-2005 at 02:52 AM

No just was away for a while. Im actually sick today but its all good.