Shoutbox

Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line (/showthread.php?tid=48459)

Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by tomfletcherman on 08-03-2005 at 08:38 PM

I can't seem to do this...

The modem cable has an adapter should I need it. When I plug it into the phone line and dial there is no tone. I am guessing this is because you do not just plug it into the phone line. There is one socket on the modem (on the back of my laptop) for the cable. Where should I run this cable to?

I am only used to modems with two sockets at the back; one of these connects to the phone, the other to the phone line. I recently tried to install a modem for my desktop that had one socket at the back and did not know how to connect it, so these two problems should be similar.

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by YottabyteWizard on 08-03-2005 at 08:56 PM

Are the drivers installed correctly?
Laptops normally have only 1 phone socket, so the only thing that comes to my mind are the drivers.

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by yukaili on 08-03-2005 at 09:03 PM

Are you sure that the port isn't a ethernet port? New laptops have ethernet unless you ordered a modem instead.:D

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by tomfletcherman on 08-03-2005 at 09:09 PM

I have ethernet and a modem and the drivers should be fine. I just need to know how to connect a one socket 56k modem correctly so that it can dialup the internet because I have only had experience with modems that have two sockets.

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by multimillion2k on 08-03-2005 at 09:25 PM

You can't plug anything into the wrong sockets :)

Your cable may be cross-wired if it came with your laptop or if you purchased the wrong one. you can get adapters for this and I assume that this is what you're referring to. Have you tried any other cables, like the one from your PC modem? (Or your friend's or neighbour's? I suggest you ask them first before borrowing).

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by tomfletcherman on 08-03-2005 at 09:28 PM

It came with my laptop. I can post pictures of my setup tomorrow (cables, cable ends, the dodgy way I have my phones connected up). I tried searching google before I posted but there are no instructions on how to plug a one socket mdoem in that I can find.

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by multimillion2k on 08-03-2005 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
I am only used to modems with two sockets at the back; one of these connects to the phone, the other to the phone line. I recently tried to install a modem for my desktop that had one socket at the back and did not know how to connect it, so these two problems should be similar.

One would think you would have more trouble with two sockets :|

I would say it's impossible to fit a plug into the wrong socket, but Computer Stupidities proves it isn't. However, I'd guarantee that the way you think is most likely is correct.
What are you using to access the interent right now? Switch the cable attached to your desktop modem with the one that came with your laptop. If you can still get online, it's not the cable.
RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by YottabyteWizard on 08-03-2005 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
I would say it's impossible to fit a plug into the wrong socket, but Computer Stupidities proves it isn't
:rofl:
just plug it and that's all, it has to work.

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by tomfletcherman on 08-04-2005 at 03:11 PM

I just plugged it in and it works now. For some reason it does not like some of the telephone sockets in my house...

Thanks for all of your ideas

RE: Connecting a laptop modem to your phone line by yukaili on 08-04-2005 at 04:03 PM

If not all the sockets work, you should get your phone company to test it.:D