Shoutbox

This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? (/showthread.php?tid=48461)

This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by Garyjm on 08-03-2005 at 09:44 PM

What a joke!!!.

I downloaded this program out of curiosity because everyone was going on about how good it is, what a joke!!!. How can microsoft allow a spyware / banner infected program to even merge with their official software?. During software installation, you provide an installment of banner ads, toolbars, and spyware, yes spyware. Who you trying to kid here?. During uninstallation (which occured very quickly on this machine, believe me), you ask for a validation number. The casual PC user will be easily satisfied and convinced to believe the program has been uninstalled properly / totally from the system (yeah right), which brings me swiftly onto my next point. When running messenger plus, if you take a look in the processes dialog, you will see internet explorer is always running taking up valuable system resources (regardless to whether it is actually closed or not). For someone who has low ram, and enough applications open, this is enough to cause slowness and problems. Then comes the ads (another joke) but granted, you do state this during installment (but for the user who reads over everything, this is a trick). During uninstallation you are promised with dialogs that everything has been uninstalled, and removed from the system. Yet, internet explorer remains running (again regardless as to whether it is closed or not) and ads and banners still popup. Spyware is still detected (even though plus claims to remove this). So, how do you explain this one?. You claim microsoft are aware of your addon, but I'm not so sure they know everything. If an official awnser and removal solution is not met to my statement A.S.A.P, I shall write an official complaint to microsoft or the authorities and take it further. (This is not a joke), and generally I go by what I say. I do not expect some dodgy comment, or sarcastic reply back as Messenger Plus is "official" (so we are lead to believe), even if the program is not part of microsoft, yet microsoft are aware, they have every right to know if an application using their products are causing security risks to millions of users worldwide.

I don't appreciate my PC being infected with spyware which can soon lead to trojans and other security issues, and I certainly do not appreciate being left with spyware (when your official addon claims to remove it). To me this seems like a deliberate programming error.

Many thanks

G.M

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by brian on 08-03-2005 at 09:48 PM

Okay, did you restart after installing the Adware.

IEXPLORER.EXE stays running after you uninstall the Adware, till you restart.

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by M73A on 08-03-2005 at 09:49 PM

omg, another one of these threads... people should read what they install...

1 adware not spyware
2 its what makes the program free
3 you can uninstal it by going to add/remove programs
4 it asks you whether or not u wish to instal the sponsor program... its OPTIONAL..
5 the creator Patchou has met with microsoft they know all about this program...
6 microsoft antispyware beta wrongly pics up messenger plus as spyware (1 its adware 2 even when the sponsor is not installed MS Antispyware still thinks it is... ) search the forum... theres loads of threads about spyware...

[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by absorbation on 08-03-2005 at 09:51 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48356

that thread will explain all, this has nothing to do with microsoft :P

microsoft supports plus!and the creator was invited on a trip with them recently.  and it's OPTONAL ADWARE :dodgy:

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by Garyjm on 08-03-2005 at 09:55 PM

Well, okay then, I think I have every right to panic though. If he's so quick to bundle ads and what not on with the program, surely he should document this better. I clicked I accept because I thought I was accepting to install Messenger Plus. It is poorly designed. The thing is, I actually like the programs features, it is fun to use. I just paniced when I saw IE still running after. Sorry for going off on one like that, but I'm very paranoid when it comes to my PC because it is my livelyhood :), if you can promise me this won't mess up my pc, there won't be any problems, I know they have to make money some how

My full apologies to the creator of messenger plus, and those involved. I restarted and things seem fine now. I just panic thats all. Perhaps you should explain abit better that changes wont take place until you restart. I know nothing about programming and stuff like this, so to me that was security hazard. I will download plus again without installing the ads, and this time I will read :|

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by Menthix on 08-03-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garyjm
erhaps you should explain abit better that changes wont take place until you restart.
It is explained during the uninstall. But yes, maybe it could be made a little more clear.

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by Garyjm on 08-03-2005 at 10:07 PM

I'm terribly sorry, I feel a right meanie now :(

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by M73A on 08-03-2005 at 10:08 PM

there are 2 warning screens during installation :)

1 - [Image: sponsor45yy.jpg]

2 - [Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

surely that is warning enough?

and remember read what your installing :D

ohh more obvious about the restall part, my bad:P :$ ... i'll leave the pictures there though:P they're good reference

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by L. Coyote on 08-03-2005 at 10:11 PM

Yeah, read everything when you install a software. You're lucky it was just MsgPlus!'s sponsor (which is a custom sponsor software, doesn't represent any security risk).

But many programs describe what they install in the license text. (Y) And some aren't very honest or clear about it.

Edit: btw, big kudos for being honest! (Y)

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by absorbation on 08-03-2005 at 10:16 PM

i how my guide explained it :) it seemed to ;) you should read installers but don't bover with the licence :P

RE: This is a total joke!!!, uninstall?, who you trying to kid? by Max on 08-04-2005 at 08:49 AM

I understand that you were annoyed that you installed [by mistake] adware onto your PC and subsequently a Toolbar for IE. The Messenger Plus! installation file makes it perfectly clear that the next option will ask you to install Adware, and it also gives you the option to refuse the installation of the Toolbar.

Your small mishap though, has given Patchou money, money which will help with the development of Messenger Plus! with that money Patchou can continue developing Plus! make improvements to the software and pay for the hosting of the program, so your small mistake has caused Patchou to gain a bit of money to develop a freeware program that you use, is that such a bad thing?

Patches