Shoutbox

Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! (/showthread.php?tid=48481)

Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by matty on 08-04-2005 at 03:07 PM

My friend just sent me this email:

quote:
Subject: A Once In A Lifetime Event
Check it out, guess no one will sleep in August.
Mars

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification.

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by qgroessl on 08-04-2005 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

That'd be pretty big... I'll be sure to watch for it!... But I doubt it'll be as large as the moon.
RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Voldemort on 08-04-2005 at 03:45 PM

that is not true , it says it is going to happen again until 22something and then it says it will not happen in 60,000 years^o)... WTF!
mars is visible to naked eye where i live, its a dull read spot, about same size as any bright star , it is visible! , but its imposible to be as big as the moon , that would mean mars is very close to earth , which it is not , and will not be. IT WILL LOOK LIKE A VERY BRIGHT STAR, but to see it as big as the moon you need BINOCULARS. this is true, i researched.

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Lou on 08-04-2005 at 03:47 PM

never know:O nice I want to see this...as long as its true:P

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by [MR] on 08-04-2005 at 03:48 PM

ya you can see it its just a red looking star.

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by matty on 08-04-2005 at 03:51 PM

I rest my case: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/08/13/mars.close.up.ap/index.html

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Joe on 08-04-2005 at 04:17 PM

They said wew wouldn't be able to see it in forever last time it was visible..

Still a cool thing to take the time to look at though.

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Voldemort on 08-04-2005 at 04:19 PM

yes its going to be seen a bright , soft red BUT NOT AS BIG AS THE MOON lol lol ;)

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by user27089 on 08-04-2005 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
that is not true , it says it is going to happen again until 22something and then it says it will not happen in 60,000 years^o)... WTF!
mars is visible to naked eye where i live, its a dull read spot, about same size as any bright star , it is visible! , but its imposible to be as big as the moon , that would mean mars is very close to earth , which it is not , and will not be. IT WILL LOOK LIKE A VERY BRIGHT STAR, but to see it as big as the moon you need BINOCULARS. this is true, i researched.

It is true, compared to the moon, Mars is massive, it wouldn't have to be that close, it is true. I was reading the BBC focus about this a few months ago.
RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Voldemort on 08-04-2005 at 04:24 PM

yes but even though it will not look as big as the moon as the moon...

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Anubis on 08-04-2005 at 04:28 PM

I hope its really visable, unlike those crappy ones in the past, which are supposedly going to be visable but aren't. Anyway if it is in the sky it'll be fun causing panic among chavs, telling them that aliens are going to wipe us out and stuff will be a laugh.

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by guanako on 08-04-2005 at 04:52 PM

i hope it looks like this
[Image: 2003-12-02-2003-11-30-solar-system-orig.jpg]
just playing look how far is mars from the earth
[Image: solar_system.jpg]
is not that far so it can be possible
WTF look at the date on the article Wednesday, August 13, 2003 Posted: 11:04 AM EDT (1504 GMT)
plus it says
"Next week, astronomers will send radio waves from antennas on Earth that will bounce off Mars to study the terrain where one of the two NASA rovers is targeted to land in January"
that already happedn :P
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/08/13/mars.close.up.ap/index.html

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by spokes on 08-04-2005 at 05:08 PM

i seen mars at the end of 03 in the nite sky, so it already is possible

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by guanako on 08-04-2005 at 05:10 PM

hey who ever can see it post some pictures or something cus i cant see it here:S

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by ShawnZ on 08-04-2005 at 05:15 PM

385000 km  between the earth and the moon...
55763108.2 km  between earth and mars in august...

You see my point?

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by qgroessl on 08-04-2005 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
WTF look at the date on the article Wednesday, August 13, 2003 Posted: 11:04 AM EDT (1504 GMT)

Missed that... haha... Oh well... it's already happened, but I can't remember if it was as big as it says it got...

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
385000 km  between the earth and the moon...
55763108.2 km  between earth and mars in august...

You see my point?

Yes... I think we see your point.... but! Our point is that Mars is how much bigger than the moon?....

Mars has a diameter of 6794 KM
Moon has a diameter of 3476 KM

So mars is nearly twice the size of the moon, therefore making it much bigger than you'd think when it's that close.
RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by hmaster on 08-04-2005 at 06:21 PM

Wasnt this a year ago :S

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Rik on 08-04-2005 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
where i live i can see it too.
but it's not mars is venus :undecided:

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Joe on 08-04-2005 at 07:28 PM

Venus = green "star"
Mars = red "star"... on some nights i can see both.

RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Purity on 08-04-2005 at 07:55 PM

I thought that I could see at least 2-3 planets, there i s a blueish one a redish one and I cant remember hte other one.   But im sure that I can already see mars :P... northish?

RE: RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by Voldemort on 08-04-2005 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jow cool
Venus = green "star"
Mars = red "star"... on some nights i can see both.

yep! me tooo
jupiter is also visible
it wont be anything like the size of the moon, i bet wateva you want.
RE: Mars to be visible to the naked eye? - Believe it! by shine on 08-05-2005 at 02:04 AM

As big as moon :lol:

It will look like a slightly bigger star to the naked eye..thats all.

Naked eye can see.. Venus,Mars, Jupiter & Saturn. Only thing is you should know where to look and identify

if you want to see venus.. look for it near the sun during Sunrise & sunset