Shoutbox

windows 2000 problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: windows 2000 problems (/showthread.php?tid=48501)

windows 2000 problems by [MR] on 08-04-2005 at 09:53 PM

i upgraded one of my pc's to windows 2000,  every second these "error" messages appear.  how might i get them to go away?

here is an example of one:
[Image: untitled6nc.th.jpg]

RE: windows 2000 problems by Reaper on 08-04-2005 at 09:56 PM

you get these arrors on xp aswell. the only cure i know for xp is to install service pack 1. make sure u install all the service packs for win 2000. it should get rid of them

btw its nothing to do with messenger

RE: windows 2000 problems by segosa on 08-04-2005 at 09:58 PM

Start => Run => services.msc

Find "Messenger Service", double click it

Set startup type to Disabled and click "Stop"

RE: windows 2000 problems by [MR] on 08-05-2005 at 01:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Start => Run => services.msc

Find "Messenger Service", double click it

Set startup type to Disabled and click "Stop"
all i see on that list is messenger... so ill do that

and where might i get all 4 service packs..i sorta do need them;)
RE: windows 2000 problems by ShawnZ on 08-05-2005 at 01:35 AM

MR_5_MR, You get the service packs from Windows Update, but you don't need them to fix this (although they are important and you should get them anyway)

What those are are something called NET SEND alerts, which are alerts you can send to other people on your network. However what spammers do is send them to different IPs and make them out like offical windows alerts, but they're not.

Stop 'Messenger' or 'Messenger Service' or whatever it's named in that list segosa gave you, as it is the service that listens for those alerts and shows them when you get one.

RE: windows 2000 problems by [MR] on 08-05-2005 at 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
MR_5_MR, You get the service packs from Windows Update, but you don't need them to fix this (although they are important and you should get them anyway)

What those are are something called NET SEND alerts, which are alerts you can send to other people on your network. However what spammers do is send them to different IPs and make them out like offical windows alerts, but they're not.

Stop 'Messenger' or 'Messenger Service' or whatever it's named in that list segosa gave you, as it is the service that listens for those alerts and shows them when you get one.
ya i did it and they havnt popped up yet...but i do really need the service packs and last time i tried windows update i did that activex control thing and it just freezes...

ok well nvm about that active X freezing...im just too impatient but i got service pack 4 on the computer so i think thats about all the updating i need to do but the automatic updates, unless yall know of somthing else.