Shoutbox

Chemistry help (well sort of) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Chemistry help (well sort of) (/showthread.php?tid=48554)

Chemistry help (well sort of) by DJeX on 08-06-2005 at 06:28 AM

Ok I was fooling around today with some stuff under my bathroom cupboard. I mixed rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover and pure ivory soap together. It was pretty kool what happened but I’m not sure why it did it. I crushed the soap then added the rubbing alcohol. Then I pored in the nail polish remover. As soon as the nail polish remover hit the soap and rubbing alcohol it turned it to jell. It was kool. I was just interested why it turned into jell. Any one got any ideas?

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by user27089 on 08-06-2005 at 09:47 AM

How the hell can you fit under a cupboard firstly? lol.

I don't think that there is anyway to tell how it happened without knowing what chemicals were in the nail polish etc. first, maybe it acted as a catalyst to quickly solidify the substances.

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by multimillion2k on 08-06-2005 at 10:30 AM

It's cos you're such a hot stud, you not only make ladies melt, but also products that ladies use too.

OR

Perhaps you're just the next Alfred Noble. He eventually discovered dynamite in a similar way, although probably not while hiding under a bathroom cupboard.

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by emit on 08-06-2005 at 12:02 PM

Definitely a catalyst jelling things together.
btw, multimillion2k: nice avatar. :--)

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by TylerG on 08-06-2005 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
btw, multimillion2k: nice avatar. :--)
MR_5_MR actually thought that some people could see the avatar:rofl::rofl::rofl::P  When he was over and we read this post and he said,"I don't see the avatar:(":rofl:
RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by DJeX on 08-06-2005 at 08:53 PM

One more question, when Magnesium and Vinigar are put together what gas is made?

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by tomfletcherman on 08-06-2005 at 09:09 PM

Well I'd be thinking that it occured because one was an acid and another an alkali. Water plus a salt could have been formed and the soap could have been what kept it jelly-like.

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by DJeX on 08-06-2005 at 09:17 PM

ahh ic

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
One more question, when Magnesium and Vinigar are put together what gas is made?

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by tomfletcherman on 08-06-2005 at 09:44 PM

Vinegar is ethanoic acid (I think) so find the gas molecule in the formula for the substance.

RE: Chemistry help (well sort of) by DJeX on 08-06-2005 at 10:13 PM

Alright that didn't help, the formula is C2H4O2 which is Carbon 2, Hydrogin 4, and Oxygen 2

It can't give off 2 gasses at the same time. What one is it then.