Shoutbox

Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command (/showthread.php?tid=48630)

Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by Qjimbo on 08-07-2005 at 11:48 PM

I'm pretty certain this isn't a msgplus problem, but rather something a registry tweaker program screwed up a while ago:
[Image: vererror.png]
After downloading the msn messenger beta update it refused to install stating my system was not XP when, as you can see from the image, it in fact is. I have no idea where !VER reads it's data from, if I knew I could probably correct the problem :)

Anyone have any ideas?

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by ShawnZ on 08-08-2005 at 12:13 AM

Start > Run > Winver

Tell what it says

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by Qjimbo on 08-08-2005 at 03:10 AM

Here ya go, 100% XP from the looks of things :p

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by ShawnZ on 08-08-2005 at 03:22 AM

Start > Run > Cmd /k prompt $v

and tell me what that says

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by linx05 on 08-08-2005 at 03:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Start > Run > Cmd /k prompt $v

and tell me what that says
I think we have established that his system is XP. Qjimbo, do you know what the tweaker was? Can you re-download it again and change what you have done?
RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by lopardo on 08-08-2005 at 05:19 AM

Don't you have any Service Packs? :-/
Do you have any patch?

Run the attached program, it will show you a message with Windows version numbers and will copy it to the clipboard, paste it here.

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by Qjimbo on 08-08-2005 at 02:14 PM

Yeah I had SP1 before now, but my computer recently screwed up so I had to do a repair install, which I thought would actually fix the Win2000 problem, but it didn't.
GetWinVer:
[Image: getwinver.png]

And that prompt thing shows "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]"

EDIT:

quote:
Qjimbo, do you know what the tweaker was? Can you re-download it again and change what you have done?
I thought it was "GameXP", but after undoing everything the problem was still there... I'm not sure what exactly did it, I was running lots of tweakers at the time whcih I've uninstalled. It's not the sort of problem you notice right away :(
RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by lopardo on 08-08-2005 at 04:07 PM

Well, everything looks alright there, so it could be a MsgPlus bug, I don't know where it gets that information from.

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by Patchou on 08-08-2005 at 09:13 PM

Messenger Plus! uses the Windows API to get the version of Windows. If it gets it wrong, it means the API sends the wrong values :p. Could it be that you changed the compatibility settings of msnmsgr.exe ? Windows (and other programs) can fool specific software to think they are running on different versions of windows sometimes.

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by Ezra on 08-08-2005 at 09:32 PM

Cool, you can fool the (!VER) command with the compatibilty modes :-)

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by dylan! on 08-08-2005 at 09:33 PM

mine does that for plus!...it says i have an older version in wich i just installed a newer one8-)

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by Qjimbo on 08-08-2005 at 10:55 PM

OMG You're right, it was in compatibility mode! I never set that @_@ What the hell caused that to happen =/

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by lopardo on 08-08-2005 at 10:56 PM

Patchou is right... It's probably the compatibility settings (didn't think of that before).

Here's what my program says when running in Win2K compatibility mode:
GetWindowsVersionString="Windows 2000"
GetWindowsServicePackVersionString=""

Win32MajorVersion=5
Win32MinorVersion=0
Win32BuildNumber=2195
Win32CSDVersion=

(Same as the (!VER) up there).

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by ShawnZ on 08-08-2005 at 11:00 PM

Lopardo... bug :P

---------------------------
Info
GetWindowsVersionString=""

GetWindowsServicePackVersionString=""

Win32MajorVersion=6

Win32MinorVersion=0

Win32BuildNumber=5112

Win32CSDVersion=
OK   

GetWindowsVersionString is blank... is there a different function for vista?

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by lopardo on 08-08-2005 at 11:05 PM

Actually, GetWindowsVersionString and GetWindowsServicePackVersionString are not Win32 API functions, they are from a custom library. They just don't know about LH :P

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by ShawnZ on 08-08-2005 at 11:06 PM

lmao fix it then!

RE: Incorrect Windows Version displayed with (!VER) command by [MR] on 08-09-2005 at 04:05 AM

michael [The Quantex has win2k] says:
Windows Version: Windows 2000, 5.00.2195
Messenger Client Version: 7.0.0816
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.54.0132

worked correctly for me