Shoutbox

XP Loading time - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: XP Loading time (/showthread.php?tid=48691)

XP Loading time by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 11:20 AM

hey, is there anyway to decrease the loading time of windows XP, u know what i'm talking about ! this loading bar, and repeats and repeats, here it repears 15 times,!.

and why the reason for that!

RE: XP Loading time by Hank on 08-09-2005 at 11:37 AM

no i dont think there is

RE: XP Loading time by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 11:58 AM

i mean by decreasing, solving the issue, fixing what makes XP take longger time than usual

RE: XP Loading time by Zephyr on 08-09-2005 at 12:07 PM

Just found a couple of sites which may help :)

Speeding Up Windows XP Boot Up and Shutdown

Improving Windows XP boot time

RE: XP Loading time by Fourjays on 08-09-2005 at 12:13 PM

A lot of things cause slow XP loading times.

Memory is the main one... remember that XP uses alot, and for optimal operating speed of it, you should have 512Mb (my friend has 256Mb, and it takes about 10mins to load, as well as it being slow elsewhere). XP eats memory for its brekafast. :p

Having loads of fonts installed can make it slow on boot-up too.

Also I have heard people say that keeping the HDD defragged helps it go faster, but then an equal number of people say defragging makes no difference to the computers performance. :S

RE: XP Loading time by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 12:21 PM

I have had a similar problem previously, and defragging I have always found does help. I have 512MB DDR RAM, The main issue for me though was my antivirus startup task - I have tried many anti-virus's and many (Norton, Panda ect.) have added a mass of time to startup, my solution was to switch to Avast! - It seems to be just as good for me.

RE: XP Loading time by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 12:24 PM

well i have 760 of ram, and i have about 1200 fonts :S:S

and for the sites mentioned up, i have already read the same things, but nothing worked with me
and i always delete the preftch, bootvis was already downloaded since months but i haven't use it yet :P:P hehe:$

by the way Kipper2258 what is Avast ? an antivirus ?

RE: XP Loading time by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 12:36 PM

Yes - The (free) home verson is available from http://www.avast.com/

But my main advise to you is to look through your fonts folder and remove any fonts you do not commonly use - I would try and get it down to around 400 fonts or less.

RE: XP Loading time by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 01:31 PM

but the fonts i use them for  designing, is there anyway to use them from another folder:S i know it's impossible :S !!

RE: XP Loading time by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 02:05 PM

Well - No, there really isn't anyway to remove fonts from startup as far as I know, and even if you could, it would have to load them at some stage if you wanted to use them.
My view is that if you need the fonts, then so be it, but if you have that many fonts and 760 RAM, you are not doing too badly, I accept that 15 is quite alot, but it could be alot worce. Maybe you couls have a seperate machine for designing, so you have a shorter startup time for your main machine, but as far as I know, I'm afraid it is something you are going to have to live with. You could give a defrag a go though, because if you have a few items on startup then it should have a noticable effect.

RE: XP Loading time by Fourjays on 08-09-2005 at 02:40 PM

1200 fonts is alot. I do alot of design work myself, but I regularly remove fonts that I am not using on a regular basis (and there are always some - it is impossible to be regularly using thousands of fonts).

Something you could do is...

Make a document (in word or w/e) with each font spelling out its name (kinda like some graphic/publishing programs do). Print it off (this will use alot of paper mind you), and keep it somewhere safe. Then move all of your fonts to a folder in "MyDocuments" or something. Except the ones you can say are "absolute musts" (I use nasalisation and Segoe UI loads at the moment, so I would keep them if it was me doing this). Then whenever you need a font, look through your printed sheet for one(s) you think might look good, and install them back into your font folder. :)

Just an idea. May or may not be very practical, but it would solve the speed problem. Hope it helps. :D

RE: XP Loading time by Concord Dawn on 08-09-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
A lot of things cause slow XP loading times.

Memory is the main one... remember that XP uses alot, and for optimal operating speed of it, you should have 512Mb (my friend has 256Mb, and it takes about 10mins to load, as well as it being slow elsewhere). XP eats memory for its brekafast. :p

Having loads of fonts installed can make it slow on boot-up too.

Also I have heard people say that keeping the HDD defragged helps it go faster, but then an equal number of people say defragging makes no difference to the computers performance. :S

Defragging does help your computer's speed because it lets the read/write heads on the harddrive find and get data faster by shuffling everything so that all of your files are contiguous(all of the file is in one place, not spread out over your harddrive). Remember that one of the biggest bottlenecks in a computer is the speed of the harddrive, since they are mechanical. So if it takes a long time to find something on your harddrive, then it's adding insult to injury. You should defrag once a month if you don't use your harddrive heavily (eg. Little to no P2P, BitTorrent, etc.) and more often if you do.
RE: XP Loading time by Rubber Stamp on 08-09-2005 at 03:37 PM

whenever i format my comp...it starts in about 3-5 bars...but slowly the speed decreses...so it has to be with the start up items...try removing those u dont need at the start or can easily open after the comp loads

RE: XP Loading time by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 05:09 PM

Well hey thx for all the replies, i do defrage always and  i dont have many things on startup, so it may be because of fonts, i will try to remove them and then try

RE: XP Loading time by EvilSeph on 08-09-2005 at 05:15 PM

Well I was bored and so decided to reboot my system for fun. Did it a couple times and my pc hardly even shows the boot screen. I then decided to try BootVis but I couldn't be bothered to reboot after that so I'm not sure if it sped up my bootup/shutdown :).

Still, all in all, rebooting my system provides me with some entertainment. Yes, I did it for no reason at all. I'm truly that bored.

Think I'll go play a game now, everyone on IRC is boring today for some reason. Speaking of IRC, come join us by clicking "irc" in the top forum menu (top right of the site/page/forums).

Edit: BootVis might have sped up myshutdown/boot up, not too sure. Could be all in my head really.

Reduce the amount of items you have that startup on boot, defragment your hard drives, run a disk check and only install fonts that you use.

All common sense really :).

RE: XP Loading time by ShawnZ on 08-09-2005 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
Well I was bored and so decided to reboot my system for fun. Did it a couple times and my pc hardly even shows the boot screen. I then decided to try BootVis but I couldn't be bothered to reboot after that so I'm not sure if it sped up my bootup/shutdown :).

Still, all in all, rebooting my system provides me with some entertainment. Yes, I did it for no reason at all. I'm truly that bored.

Think I'll go play a game now, everyone on IRC is boring today for some reason. Speaking of IRC, come join us by clicking "irc" in the top forum menu (top right of the site/page/forums).

Edit: BootVis might have sped up myshutdown/boot up, not too sure. Could be all in my head really.

Reduce the amount of items you have that startup on boot, defragment your hard drives, run a disk check and only install fonts that you use.

All common sense really :).

Sigh :(

About Bootvis.exe
Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software. Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system. If you are an end-user seeking to resolve issues for boot/resume performance on your PC, we recommend that you contact the vendor from whom you purchased the PC. For information from Microsoft on specific issues, you can search Knowledge Base for Windows XP product issues related to "resume time." Knowledge Base is a free information service available at: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
RE: XP Loading time by guanako on 08-09-2005 at 05:28 PM

try this it worked for me :)
http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/showdoc.php?doc=txp_about

RE: XP Loading time by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 05:43 PM

ok thx i will try it guanako