Shoutbox

New add-on for MSN Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: New add-on for MSN Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=48693)

New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 11:51 AM

I’m releasing my alpha version of SweetIM (build 1.1.0.100), freeing you to add original winks, emoticons, sound fx, audibles and more to MSN Messenger. Softpedia checked and certified that there is NO adware, NO spyware and NO viruses See certificate here. Please download and give me feedbacks before beta.

Respect, ben

www.SweetIM.com

New Emoticons:
[Image: emoticons.jpg]

New Winks:
[Image: winks.jpg]

www.SweetIM.com

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by absorbation on 08-09-2005 at 11:52 AM

is there any adware bunled with this program becuase i may post news on my website :P

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 11:53 AM

Didnt you post this yesterday? Infact im sure you did....

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 11:54 AM

No adware, No spyware, No nuisances. You can read in our FAQ about how we plan to support our development.

Enjoy, ben

website

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 11:55 AM

Although you do send a message to contacts to get your softare...

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 11:59 AM

Correct. Each time you send SweetIM content (emoticons, winks, audibles, sound effects, etc..), we have to send some tokens to the second peer to identify the content that should be presented. To achieve this we are sending a special link that represents the content to play. Those users that don't have it installed will get a one click access to install it; and those that have it installed will enjoy the content and won't get the tokens.

Thanks for the comment and I hope you enjoy it,
Ben
Website

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 12:00 PM

It was posted yesterday by Ron, i cant locate the thread at the moment.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by absorbation on 08-09-2005 at 12:02 PM

i'll post about it on my site however, my host has manged to get all his hosting fucked in the last hour :sad:

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 12:05 PM

Yeah - This has already been posted - But I can't find who.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 12:05 PM

You are right, this add-on is directly connected to Messenger, and delivers a lot of value to its users, and therefore is allowed. There are many posts of new add-ons and in fact that’s why this thread exists, to share this info. I suggest you install it and give it a try, make thorough checks and then place your balanced opinion.

Ben (H)

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kipper2258

I think its been deleted.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 12:12 PM

Like I said yesterday any "new" user who releases a plug-in by an "unknown" tester is not seen as trustworthy by me. Anyway a site which feels the need to say No-Spyware every sentence usally indicates the oposite in big flashing red neon letters.

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
quote:

I think its been deleted.
It would seem so, and this thread my suffer the same fate.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Like I said yesterday any "new" user who releases a plug-in by an "unknown" tester is not seen as trustworthy by me. Anyway a site which feels the need to say No-Spyware every sentence usally indicates the oposite in big flashing red neon letters.

yeah i feel the same, personally i wouldnt download it off a member with a registered span of a day, also i have never heard of the program and i'll therefore wait... ill may download it in time... just not yet. I think it got deleted because it was unrelated advertsing cos i really cant find it :S
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 12:16 PM

Yes - A wait a few weeks over here - Until its status can beconfirmed. This "group" also released a game addon last year, which if it was a good as it claimed it was it would have taken off. Something fishy is going on around here.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by absorbation on 08-09-2005 at 12:21 PM

add's an annoying link like fun buddy. please remove this :sad:

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 12:28 PM

Well Spybot told me it made a registry change... an java change and my AntiVirus program change....

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
add's an annoying link like fun buddy. please remove this :sad:
I suspected as much.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by SweetNSaucy on 08-09-2005 at 02:34 PM

Where do I download them? As I can't find it to download :'(

As it looks great to use them on messenger :D

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SweetNSaucy
Where do I download them? As I can't find it to download :'(

As it looks great to use them on messenger :D

Direct link - Be careful though, there is reported spyware (contrary to what the site claims). Don't say I didn't warn you.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 02:42 PM

Also you need your contact to get the add on to see them too, it also sends messages to your contacts to get it,

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Also you need your contact to get the add on to see them too, it also sends messages to your contacts to get it,

Rather like those 1000+ free emotions, or whatever they are called, I managed to download one of those, and it wasn't an easy task to remove, about 5 web bars, a few trojans, tons of spyware..... I am guessing this will be much the same, and it floods your contacts practically everytim you speak.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 02:49 PM

I think its buddy fun or something?

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 02:56 PM

quote:
I think its buddy fun or something?

Buddyfun, thats the one, I hate them, and I still get stupid messages non-stop from the 2 people on my contact list who have it, but I have blocked them, as they are (both!) my old best friend, who is a lieing toad who exploits people to put it lightly ;)
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by SweetNSaucy on 08-09-2005 at 03:13 PM

Isn't there a link for me to download them?^o)

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kotjze on 08-09-2005 at 03:21 PM

quote:

O.o Please don't write your messages like that. And there is a link in the first post labelled "website".
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kotjze
quote:

O.o Please don't write your messages like that. And there is a link in the first post labelled "website".

True, and if you look back a couple of replies, I have already furfulled that request with a direct link to the download. Also if you read this article fully, you would have seen the discovery of spyware, you really shouldn't download it if you have any sence.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 04:12 PM

Hello everybody,
I would like to clarify few things:

1. We are not SmileyCentral (BuddyFun, etc...). It's a different company / different product.

2. SweetIM is a new product that was developed for fun not for commercial reasons.

3. THERE ARE NO SPYWARE / ADWARE / TROJANS or whatsoever. Please feel free to activate anti-spyware / antivirus on the client. The only thing it does, it adds (like most of the application) the Installation Directory in the registry (HK_CURRENTUSER\Software\Macrogaming\SweetIM) and standard automatic run entry. For continuous automatic update, it tries to connect to SweetIM web site.

4. The purpose of this project is to enhance the MSN Messenger environment with new and exciting content. I really hope that you'll like and use the product.

For those that can't find the download please feel free to go to:
http://www.sweetim.com

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by absorbation on 08-09-2005 at 04:14 PM

i would like that dam link removed everytime i type. it put everyone i know off the product :(

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 04:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bgarrun
Hello everybody,
I would like to clarify few things:

1. We are not SmileyCentral (BuddyFun, etc...). It's a different company / different product.

2. SweetIM is a new product that was developed for fun not for commercial reasons.

3. THERE ARE NO SPYWARE / ADWARE / TROJANS or whatsoever. Please feel free to activate anti-spyware / antivirus on the client. The only thing it does, it adds (like most of the application) the Installation Directory in the registry (HK_CURRENTUSER\Software\Macrogaming\SweetIM) and standard automatic run entry. For continuous automatic update, it tries to connect to SweetIM web site.

4. The purpose of this project is to enhance the MSN Messenger environment with new and exciting content. I really hope that you'll like and use the product.

For those that can't find the download please feel free to go to:
http://www.sweetim.com

We never said you were smileycentral - only that it seems rather like it.
And personally notifing all your contacts, whenever you type, that they don't have it installed ect is seen as adware to me. And for that matter, others have reported registry edits, addition of links and anti-virus/jave changes.

TBH We are only telling users to be wary, and we can't really class you as a known group or a well known member.

For that matter has anyone contacted an admin for removal, if not I shall PM one now.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 04:32 PM

Regarding what Absorbation said (about the links) :
Each time you send SweetIM content (emoticons, winks, audibles, sound effects, etc..), we have to send some tokens to the second peer to identify the content that should be presented. To achieve this we are sending a special link that represents the content to play. Those users that don't have it installed will get a one click access to install it; and those that have it installed will enjoy the content and won't get the tokens.

It does NOT send anything automatically !

PS: If anyone have any idea on how to solve the tokens issue - please let me know !

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by absorbation on 08-09-2005 at 04:34 PM

quote:
PS: If anyone have any idea on how to solve the tokens issue - please let me know !

get rid of them it runs the quality of the service that's why everyone uninsatlled it :sad:
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Regarding what Absorbation said (about the links) :
Each time you send SweetIM content (emoticons, winks, audibles, sound effects, etc..), we have to send some tokens to the second peer to identify the content that should be presented. To achieve this we are sending a special link that represents the content to play. Those users that don't have it installed will get a one click access to install it; and those that have it installed will enjoy the content and won't get the tokens.

The SweetIM Software and Services may be incorporated into, and may incorporate, technology, software and services owned and controlled by third parties. Use of such third party software or services is subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable third party license agreements, and you agree to look solely to the applicable third party and not to Macrogaming to enforce any of your rights.

The Software also uses "cookies". We use the cookies to store a code designating a distribution source for the Software. This information allows us to properly distinguish Software for purposes of compensating third parties who distribute our product and to analyze retention and usage on an aggregated basis.

During conversations with other peers the software will occasionally send automatic invitations to join the SweetIM community and to enable them to view and enjoy the software content, features and website.
but you just said...
quote:

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by MC Inferno on 08-09-2005 at 04:40 PM

During conversations with other peers the software will occasionally send automatic invitations to join the SweetIM community and to enable them to view and enjoy the software content, features and website.
but you just said...

quote:

you got him there :P
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 04:42 PM

Well i didnt mean to its just dodgy , also if he uses third parties and doesnt tell us on the install then is it techincally spyware?

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Voldemort on 08-09-2005 at 04:57 PM

Isnt this thread spam?
Well You have been caught lying and thats not a good incentive to download your thing....
If you are a group, can you solve the issues yourself or not? Thats means inexperience...
I wont download it.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
isnt this thread spam?

no we're discussing the program in the title

quote:
Originally posted by MsgPlus! Rules

Spam: Any post that is off-topic or contributes nothing useful or interesting to a thread is considered to be spam. Most spam posts will be moved or deleted.

Well I think the "programmers" don't know their own program especially as I pointed out contradictions.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-09-2005 at 05:11 PM

Thanks again for your feedbacks guys.

Absorbation - what do you mean exactly ? ?

Regarding these paragraphs from SweetIM EULA - these are pretty standard:

----
"The SweetIM Software and Services may be incorporated into, and may incorporate, technology, software and services owned and controlled by third parties."

"The Software also uses "cookies". We use the cookies to store a code designating a distribution source for the Software. This information allows us to properly distinguish Software for purposes of compensating third parties who distribute our product and to analyze retention and usage on an aggregated basis."

We may add 3rd parties content (like Games, Display Pictures, Nudges, etc...) in order to enhance the product offering. This content may be provided by 3rd parties.

---
"During conversations with other peers the software will occasionally send automatic invitations to join the SweetIM community and to enable them to view and enjoy the software content, features and website. "

By saying "automatic" we mean just what I said:
ONLY when "User A" has SweetIM, and "User B" does NOT, and "User A" decides to send SweetIM content (emoticons, winks, audibles, sound fx, etc...) to "User B" - then "User B" will receive an "automatic" invitation to download our software.

Even MSN Messenger does that !
Let's say "User A" has Messenger 7, and "User B" has Messenger 6.2 (or even Windows Messenger), and "User A" sends a wink to "User B", then "User B" will receive an "automatic" invitation (like we send) to install the latest version of messenger.

This is an example of what I mean:
"User A sent you a wink which requires the latest version of MSN Messenger. To download the latest version of MSN Messenger, go to http://g.msn.com/5meen_us/122."

so yes, you can call that "automatic".  But when I said earlier that SweetIM does NOT send anything automatically, I meant that SweetIM does NOT send anything with out the user's knowing that or without interference of the user.
We should clarify that on the EULA... Thanks !

A few people have already noticed me concerning a few other paragraphs of the EULA, and I would like to clarify that manners for you guys too:

---
"In order to receive the benefits provided by the SweetIM Software, you hereby grant permission for the SweetIM Software to (i) utilize the processor and bandwidth of your computer (ii) use certain personal information that you have submitted to your instant messenger provider."

(i) SweetIM application is standard Windows application. It needs CPU and access to internet for content activation.

(ii) We plan to run contests and other activities. For these services we may need your Nick name to publish the Winners and contact for prizes distribution.
---

---
"The Software is exposed to various security issues, and should be regarded as unsecure. By accepting this Agreement, you acknowledge and accept that the Software, and any information you download or offer to share by means of the Software, may be exposed to unauthorized access, interception, corruption, damage or misuse."

SweetIM security is based on C2 (Orange Book) guidelines. This means that it's not 200% secured (most applications are not!) but at SweetIM we take security and privacy very serious and we did our best on that manner. The communication with our servers is fully encrypted, the client does not open incoming sockets, and more...
---

Hope that this answers your concerns,
Ben

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:

(ii) We plan to run contests and other activities. For these services we may need your Nick name to publish the Winners and contact for prizes distribution.

some people might not want to be, you should have the option. If you're doing that you need to include the Data Protection Act and taking cookies without permission is wrong :cookie:

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by user27089 on 08-09-2005 at 05:18 PM

To be honest, this is no better than BuddyIcons or Smiley Central, it ruins the MSN Messenger experience, by pretty much advertising the hell out of your website while innocent people are using MSN Messenger, we don't want adverts rammed in our faces if somebody sends somebody a smiley.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Tasha on 08-09-2005 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Even MSN Messenger does that !
Let's say "User A" has Messenger 7, and "User B" has Messenger 6.2 (or even Windows Messenger), and "User A" sends a wink to "User B", then "User B" will receive an "automatic" invitation (like we send) to install the latest version of messenger.

I'm sorry, but to the best of my knowledge, that does not happen. I before have had 6.2, and a friend, who had 7, tried to send me a wink and a nudge, and I got no such message.

I myself sent a nudge and several winks to my brother who had 6.2, just to see what it said to the both of us (this was a while back) and nothing was shown at all. The only prompt you get to download the latest version is on your contact list.

quote:
(ii) use certain personal information that you have submitted to your instant messenger provider."

That should be an option too. I personally (if I was to use the program, which I shall not be doing incidentally), would not want any of my personal information to be sent to you or published at all.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
To be honest, this is no better than BuddyIcons or Smiley Central, it ruins the MSN Messenger experience, by pretty much advertising the hell out of your website while innocent people are using MSN Messenger, we don't want adverts rammed in our faces if somebody sends somebody a smiley.

yeah, I agree. When I first saw this I was reminded strongly of Smiley Central and the way they advertise. Some people don't know any better, and may just install this without knowing what it could possibly do to the computer, or not realising that you have a hold of their information.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by user27089 on 08-09-2005 at 05:29 PM

quote:

(ii) use certain personal information that you have submitted to your instant messenger provider."

Is that not against the Data Protection act, I think that may have been brought up earlier on in the thread. But by doing so, you're surely breaking some federal laws. This program is full of things that it says it does which I doubt it really does. It's just a waste of time and won't do your computer any good at all. You're just going to be ruining peoples computers, nothing more, nothing less. The victims that download it are naive, and I feel sorry for them.
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

Is that not against the Data Protection act,
The victims that download it are naive, and I feel sorry for them.

It is, as it is not described HOW and WHY the information is collected make sit illegal. The Main Points are below:

Personal data must be processed fairly and lawfully + at least one of the processing conditions is met,

Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.

Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.

Data subjects (downloaded users) have the right to have inaccurate data amended or deleted.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by M73A on 08-09-2005 at 05:38 PM

smiley central comes to mind

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Lou on 08-09-2005 at 05:49 PM

I unfourtunately installed this program, but if you say that it is dangerous [and you do] and if I believe you [which I do] I will uninstall this software. I give noone the right to use my computer as a book.

That's my 2 cents

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 05:58 PM

My advise to anyone is not to install, and if you have to uninstall and run Ad-Aware & Spybot just to be sure. But this is what I have been saying from that start, its an advertising scam, and remains very similar in its structure to SimleyCentral.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by NiteMare on 08-09-2005 at 06:49 PM

"In order to receive the benefits provided by the SweetIM Software, you hereby grant permission for the SweetIM Software to  utilize the processor and bandwidth of your computer (ii) use certain personal information that you have submitted to your instant messenger provider."

HAHAHA, yeah right i'm going to let you use my prossesor and bandwith, and i'm not giving ANY of my personal info out, this program is a smileycentral copy

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bunnysrfunny on 08-09-2005 at 09:56 PM

OMG that is so kool.Chopster

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by multimillion2k on 08-10-2005 at 02:04 AM

I installed your program yesterday, and I didn't find anything wrong with it at all. In fact I was rather impressed, I think there's a lot of potential.

However, you're marketing it all wrong, and indeed you do sound like smiley central - I don't have to state that many people have bad experiences after installing it, and it is only logical that anything that sounds remotely good is now treated suspiciously.

I'm a fan of MsgPlus, I've been using it for years. I don't remember how I first came upon it but I know most of my contacts now use it simply because I recommended it to them. I don't think I've noticed a single ad yet it's a well known piece of software.
If your program is really good, people will pass it on by word of mouth (or messenger). You won't need to worry about promoting it.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-10-2005 at 03:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k

However, you're marketing it all wrong, and indeed you do sound like smiley central - I don't have to state that many people have bad experiences after installing it, and it is only logical that anything that sounds remotely good is now treated suspiciously.

I do agree with that, i installed it and didnt detect any software, however as you did contradict yourself a few times it has put me off the software until a later date. Dont give up though (Y) :)

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-10-2005 at 07:59 AM

quote:

I do agree with that, i installed it and didnt detect any software, however as you did contradict yourself a few times it has put me off the software until a later date. Dont give up though

I'm still staying away from it until a few more say its good ;), and also from the point I will be the only person on my contact list with it, it's even hard to find someone with MSNPlus with the people I talk to, the fact most of them are on linux may be a reason. ;)
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-10-2005 at 10:06 AM

Guys, we would like to thank you again for all your inputs, both positive and negative ones !

Choosing not to install a software on its first few days of Alpha release is reasonable.   We understand your concerns, and we can promise you that we will not repeat other software’s horrible mistakes.

I would like to get your inputs regarding what to do with the tokens/link issue:

Since most of you were complaining about this - we will probably change this!   However, this leaves us with an unsolved issue - What should we do with the tokens/tags that we _must_ send when sending an emoticon, wink, sound effect, audible, etc...

As mentioned earlier - each time you send SweetIM content, we have to send some tokens/tags to the second peer to identify the content that should be presented. Those that have SweetIM installed only see the content and don't get the tokens/tags.
But those who don't have SweetIM - have to see _Something_ ! (will see the Tokens)

The idea was that when a person receives tokens that have no meaning - this will be annoying.  So we were thinking of solving this by informing the person that receives the tokens that his friend is trying to send him some cool stuff, and he has to DL SweetIM in order to see it / send it to others.

As most of you probably know - the current sentence is: "Get Emoticons and other cool stuff - free! <link><tokens>"
(Guess we should have been more creative with that sentence cause it does sounds like an advertisement) .

We would like to get your suggestions on a new sentence that will fit better, but will let the other side know that his friend just tried to send him something, instead of just showing him some tags without any meaning...

Take a look at what one of our users suggested in our forum:

Our forum

greg098:

quote:
Since I first downloaded this program, ive fallen in love with it. Its great, however I do have one issue. When you send someone an emoticon, wink etc. to someone who does not have this program, it just gives them this huge link to ur site (and it looks horrible). It would be easier and  I think a lot better if something would display on their screen saying that I have just tried to send them an SWEETIM content and you need to download it from 'here' to view it. This program is free and 100% virus and spyware free.
This way, ppl wont be scared to download it and more ppl will download it because its spreading the word.

Personally I was thinking of something like:

"Your buddy is trying to send you a cool (or SweetIM) emoticon (or wink when sending wink, etc...).  In order to see/send it - you can download SweetIM at <link><token>. "

PS. The tokens are in purpose part of the link not intermediating users with gibberish.

Please send your suggestions regarding this manner, so we would solve this issue for good…

Thanks again,

Ben
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by multimillion2k on 08-10-2005 at 10:31 AM

I think msgplus is a good example - with plugins like stuffplug you can send larger emoticons, easily manage (steal) DPs. Other things like formatting and changing colour of text; Plus! sounds etc - they require both parties to have msgplus installed. Granted, this is a protocol thing, but if it only had features that worked when both contacts had the program, it would have been nowhere near as successful.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Plik on 08-10-2005 at 10:36 AM

quote:
PS. The tokens are in purpose part of the link not intermediating users with gibberish.
If you just send the code, or maybe send [Sweet-im]code then the other user will ask "Whats that" "oh a cool emoticon you need sweet im to see it"
This will be better than the tokens because the software is beeing recomended by a person they know, not sounding like an automated message that brings memorys of smiley centeral
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Max on 08-10-2005 at 11:01 AM

Good idea, shame it seems to have some security flaws in it.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by John Anderton on 08-10-2005 at 11:14 AM

I would if there was no spy/ad/mal/whatever ware included :sad:
no link poster please :cry:

Looks good but that link show'wer thing kills it :sad:

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by kipper2258 on 08-10-2005 at 02:37 PM

Yes - Maybe a ping asking for a responce - if it get one from the other user saying it has got sweetim then don't send and tell the user so, otherwise execute as normal.

And yes, the current phrasing is poor, and makes it look much like many other dodgy services - Something like To see this you need SweetIM - just so people have abit more idea of the purpose of the message.

Edit: And yes, make sure there is nothingthat could be percived as spyware/adware, and more clear terms that highlights the nature and usage of data and the like would be good, rather than so vague - because although this covers you it leaves the rest of us thinking it is some advert stunt.

Also - Active members and well known users help - You could have posted before about the project, and this would have been a good way to research your target market before designing.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-11-2005 at 06:33 PM

ok guys, once again - we thank you for your help !

I would like to remind you all that this is an alpha version, meaning we still have a lot of time for changes, new features and product design decisions.   

That is why I decided to ask you guys for advices....
I want the final release to be a blast !

Regarding the sentence we send when a user sends out content - we will decide on that manner very soon, and make the changes we need to make...

We would like to hear some more suggestions - so if anyone still has something on his mind - now is the time ! 

Thanks,
Ben

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by oxygenuk on 08-12-2005 at 08:44 PM

another suggestion. add win9x support.

also for people that dont have sweetIM, if they cant see emotions the code for the emotion should be sent along with a short message like "sweetIM is required to view this download it here www.com"

:P

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by NiteMare on 08-12-2005 at 08:55 PM

don't you just love it when people tear apart a program :refuck:

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-15-2005 at 03:48 PM

Just to let you know - We're planning a content update by the end of this week...

Which means that you can expect to find some new emoticons, winks, audibles, and sound FX in your menu...

We will try to keep updating with new content at least twice a month, and of course we will add some new features and categories in the future !

We're also going to update the sentence we were talking about - very shortly.

Enjoy,
Ben

SweetIM WebSite

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by mwe99 on 08-15-2005 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Which means that you can expect to find some new emoticons, winks, audibles, and sound FX in your menu... 

Dont you think you should fix the current raised issues before you continue adding more stuff?
RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Mentality on 08-15-2005 at 06:05 PM

I wouldnt download that program in a million years, over my cold dead processor. NOT TRUSTED

HAHA they only got 14 forum members, with two online, TEEHEE

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by Negro_Joe on 08-15-2005 at 11:48 PM

i downloaded it and i havent got any problems its pretty good if u ask me! cheers bgarrun

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by bgarrun on 08-17-2005 at 09:58 PM

Thanks Skeew !

mwe99:

quote:
Dont you think you should fix the current raised issues before you continue adding more stuff?

I'm glad to say that we'll fix this issue (the sentence being sent when sending content to a person without SweetIM) on the upcoming update as well.

Ben
UPDATE ! by bgarrun on 08-21-2005 at 12:48 PM

Hi everybody,

Listening to you guys, and processing other inputs received by users, have lead us to a decision regarding the link to our website, and the sentence most of you were complaining about.

We have changed and updated the sentence, and it is on NOW .

Assuming you have signed out and signed back in at lease once from the moment we've updated until now - your contacts will receive the new sentence once you send them SweetIM content.
(This is, of course, only if they DON'T have the application installed...)

Now for the new content update:
some of you might have noticed that there are new emoticons, winks, audibles, and sound effects in the menu (can also be found in the "new" category).   While at the same time - some of you do NOT have the new content on their menu !

Another situation might be that a friend sends you something new from his menu, you receive it and it is displayed on your screen, BUT you DON'T have it on your SweetIM menu.

This is caused due to a bug that we had (fixed), that is related to the Cache update.  Default time for updating files that are related to our menu was 5 days.  Meaning the files will stay on the cache for 5 days, and only then the new files will be downloaded and used.   

This issue caused a problem with our content update.  The problem was that every time we update the file, most users will only notice the update 5 days from the moment we have updated the files. 
We have fixed this, and next time we update - it will happen right away. 

If any of you just can't wait and would like to check out the new content - deleting your browser's cache, signing out and signing back in to Messenger - will solve the problem.
(Deleting only our files in the cache will also be enough...) .

Tell us what you think,
Ben.

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by absorbation on 08-21-2005 at 12:50 PM

i would just want rid of that tolken and i'll use it that's the reason i dont use it :(

RE: New add-on for MSN Messenger by ShawnZ on 08-21-2005 at 12:54 PM

Well, first, not to put down your software, but these things are annoying as fuck. Its a good idea, and could be popular, but im sure alot of people would rather not have giant things running across their screen, hence messpatch and removing winks/nudges :p

Second, why not just send some line thats not in the format of a message to the contact when sending one of these things? that way the client wont even pick it up if they don't have it installed.