Shoutbox

Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... (/showthread.php?tid=48706)

Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 04:44 PM

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on August 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

Source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050809/80/fp7pg.html

Patchou stop playing WoW! :P

RE: S.Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games by DJeX on 08-09-2005 at 04:47 PM

Oh ... wow. Thats taraible. Huh.. interesting.

RE: S.Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games by ~INVASION~ on 08-09-2005 at 04:52 PM

wow that is actually amasing, i bet he got killed in the game shortly after his actual death :refuck:

(sorry but its prolly true :P)

RE: S.Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 04:59 PM

on-line battle simulation games hmm more than one then... i wonder what he was playing?

Halo? Cossacks? AoE? WoW? They probably won't say either :(

RE: S.Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games by Voldemort on 08-09-2005 at 05:01 PM

wow! he played for two days and 2 hours straight..

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by user27089 on 08-09-2005 at 05:06 PM

Whenever I play a game, I only play it for like 4 hours max, I don't know, then have a break or something. It's not that I get bored, I just feel that it's lame sitting playing one game all day lol, there is better things to do.

Surely, the cyber café closed overnight, they couldn't of kept the café open for so long without closing it, I think it's balls that he did it for so long in a cyber café, if he did it at home then it would make more sense.

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by *Saint* on 08-09-2005 at 05:12 PM

how is that even possible? heart failure from exaustion? how about those soldiers that sit in trenches for longer than that and dont get naps how come they dont die?

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by dylan! on 08-09-2005 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by *Saint*
how is that even possible? heart failure from exaustion? how about those soldiers that sit in trenches for longer than that and dont get naps how come they dont die?
they do die dumbass:P...except nobody lives to tell us how they die so we all asume they die by being shot or blown up or something :refuck:
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by user27089 on 08-09-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:

I agree with that, I doubt this is the entire story, there must of been some other causes, your heart doesn't fail of exhaustion unless you're like running around. On the contrary, those soldiers do have a lot of training.
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by NiteMare on 08-09-2005 at 06:34 PM

it was probualy exaustion due to lack of food

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by SikStyles on 08-09-2005 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:

I agree with that, I doubt this is the entire story, there must of been some other causes, your heart doesn't fail of exhaustion unless you're like running around. On the contrary, those soldiers do have a lot of training.

those soldiers are trained..their body is stronger..and computer does exhaust people..if you sit behind it for many many hours, after you walk away you feel like you need a nap..his mind was probably so weak from playing and his body too..didnt get enough rest...i find it very believable
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by prashker on 08-09-2005 at 07:27 PM

I think this is all fake 50 hours of aming non stop then heart failure. I think i shall try it... see you in 50 hours!!!:D

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Eljay on 08-09-2005 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I think this is all fake 50 hours of aming non stop then heart failure. I think i shall try it... see you in 50 hours!!!:D

no you wont :refuck: [/morbid joke]
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by dotNorma on 08-09-2005 at 08:43 PM

Firstly, the internet caffee never closed overnight? And did he set up a make shift bed IN the internet caffee?

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
Firstly, the internet caffee never closed overnight? And did he set up a make shift bed IN the internet caffee?

the article is a little iffy, did he used to work there or something? or maybe it was a 24/7 cafe,
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Patchou on 08-09-2005 at 11:04 PM

lol.. thank you for the post, I'll be careful not to play more than 12 hours a day without a break.

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by shadowfaerie on 08-09-2005 at 11:11 PM

i cant play for more than two hours of any game, so there is no luck in me dying in that situation

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-09-2005 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
lol.. thank you for the post, I'll be careful not to play more than 12 hours a day without a break.

lol good Patchou :P although 12 hour still is quite alot :P ...
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by L. Coyote on 08-09-2005 at 11:30 PM

Like SikStyles said in a previous post, soldiers are trained to eat and sleep very little, to be on the move for a lot of time, etc. It's not that you go and become a soldier and that's it. :P Take a look at DX, he has to be on an intense training.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this news is real. There ARE cybers that work 24/7, they might be rare, but they exist. The fact that he had a place to sleep, is a good proof of this.

If you don't sleep in 24 hours, you might notice yourself feeling colder, moody, weak, etc. I once stayed awake for 48 hours, and let me tell you, it's Hell.

Sleeping (not just 10 minutes, but hours) is an important part of every animal's life cycle. The brain needs that rest, and you heal faster when sleeping.

The suggested number of hours to manage a healthy sleep, is eight or nine. And no naps. But if you take a nap, it's better if it's no longer than 20 minutes.

I only slept 3 hours today. :undecided:

Meh... @_@

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by ddunk on 08-09-2005 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
Take a look at DX, he has to be on an intense training.

Yep...

[08.09|16.11.35] <@DXtremz> Fuck you ShawnZ, my dad and I just drove by Taco bell and we were gonna get a taco, but had no cash

But I <3 him :D And yeah, he'll do it eventually, but Taco bell is more important at the moment :D
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by DXtremz on 08-09-2005 at 11:34 PM

I haven't left yet Ddrunk -_-

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by L. Coyote on 08-09-2005 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
Take a look at DX, he has to be on an intense training.
But I <3 him :D And yeah, he'll do it eventually, but Taco bell is more important at the moment :D
quote:
Originally posted by DXtremz
I haven't left yet Ddrunk -_-
Now, then, tomorrow. My point is that soldiers are prepared for that. :P
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by DXtremz on 08-10-2005 at 12:18 AM

Yea, the Navy SEALS have this thing where they stay up for 5 days straight doing combat exercises and maneuvers. Pretty tough stuff, like only 10% of the people actually pass.

RE: RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by SithToast on 08-10-2005 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
quote:

Pssh, 12 hours is nothing when you're playing WoW :) Expecially when you're yacking on Skype the entire time. :D
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-10-2005 at 12:34 AM

Dont believe ive ever played it :(

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by TylerG on 08-10-2005 at 12:38 AM

Yeah, when ever I am playing a pc game I have to take breaks, I can't stand to just sit there, so I go outside and do something.  After that I come in and play some more:P 

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-10-2005 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
Yeah, when ever I am playing a pc game I have to take breaks, I can't stand to just sit there, so I go outside and do something.  After that I come in and play some more:P

yep lol i usually go for food and drink then come back, the man should have done that more regular... silly billy

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Purity on 08-10-2005 at 04:52 AM

I should try playing battlefield2 for 50 hours! :o  :banana:

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Eljay on 08-10-2005 at 06:42 AM

quote:
quote:

pfft ive played cs source way more than that in one session =P
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Rubber Stamp on 08-10-2005 at 05:02 PM

old news.....had it in the newspaper few days back...or maybe it was a different one...it was very similar...and i rem another case when a teenager killed another 12 year old after playing a game...stabbed him to death...there were a lot of debates about games then....bad days for gamers!

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by vacuumo on 08-10-2005 at 10:11 PM

ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKE ^_^_^_^_^_^^__^

South Korea's got some seriously fucked up shit. What they lack in K TO THE I TO THE M JONG IZZLE they make up for in weirdness.

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Pipish on 08-11-2005 at 07:41 AM

thats crazy.

and sad.

and obsesive

is that story real???

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Purity on 08-11-2005 at 07:45 AM

Some kid died after about 10-20 hours of gaming.  like 2-3 months ago.

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by John Anderton on 08-11-2005 at 08:38 AM

OMG .... the same story was in today's newspapers's tech section.
Yesterday it was about what are the newest mmorpg's in India and where you can get free cd's and so on and so forth and today it had this article :P
Ironic :P

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by s7a5 on 08-11-2005 at 12:51 PM

old scenario
i already heard smth similar to this couple of years ago

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by L. Coyote on 08-11-2005 at 01:00 PM

Now it was posted on a known Argentinian newspaper site (Clarín).

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Rubber Stamp on 08-11-2005 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
OMG .... the same story was in today's newspapers's tech section.
Yesterday it was about what are the newest mmorpg's in India and where you can get free cd's and so on and so forth and today it had this article :P
Ironic :P

the article was called TORRENT or something...was it in HT?

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
thats crazy.

and sad.

and obsesive

is that story real???

yes the story is real, i specified my source in my first post, Yahoo News.

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Negro_Joe on 08-20-2005 at 07:12 PM

I could so beat him!

RE: RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by Supersonicdarky on 08-20-2005 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Skeew
I could so beat him!

Isn't that something to be proud of :dodgy:
RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by John Anderton on 08-20-2005 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Skeew
I could so beat him!
You just had to bring back a dead thread .... and

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
Isn't that something to be proud of :dodgy:

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by YottabyteWizard on 08-20-2005 at 07:40 PM

OMG! 50 hrs! I played 34 Hours straight in my last lan party, nothing wrong :D....

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by mwe99 on 08-20-2005 at 07:41 PM

quote:
to bring back a dead thread ....

yeah no offence but it seems you doing it a bit :$

RE: Man dies after 50 hours of computer games... by John Anderton on 08-20-2005 at 07:59 PM

quote:
quote:
to bring back a dead thread ....

yeah no offence but it seems you doing it a bit :$
It was already on the page .... i just wanted to let Skeew know to avoid doing it again :-/