Shoutbox

Slow Shutdown - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Slow Shutdown (/showthread.php?tid=48708)

Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 05:21 PM

Hey, i have win xp running on centrino 1.60 and 760 mb of rams, but i'm facing a big delay  in shutting down the pc, it on the step Shtting down, which is after closing all network connections.

thanks in advance

RE: Slow Shutdown by kipper2258 on 08-09-2005 at 06:11 PM

Wow - This must be about the 5th question you have put forth today!

Once more, you do do design work, and that does put strian on computers, maybe non-perfect speed is something you will have to live with, or consider upgrading your computer.

The 1200 fonts wont be helping wither ;)

But you should consider running some tests - and they are all free :O:

• Anti-Virus run an on-computer one (e.g. Avast! Home) or an online test (e.g. panda security have one).
  • Sypbot scearch and destroy.
  • Ad-Aware SE
  • Spyware Blaster

(Sorry, I am devoid of links, Google? :P)
RE: Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-09-2005 at 06:29 PM

hey hehe, well umm thx for the reply, well dont worry my computer if free of virus adware spyware bla bla, coz i scan them always:) ,well for the fonts as i said i will try to remove them, and heheh for upgrading my pc, i have a portable , so hehe i wont think about it at this time :D:)

RE: Slow Shutdown by Fourjays on 08-09-2005 at 06:48 PM

Many of the reasons for slow shutdown, are the same as slow start-up. Solve one, solve the other. ;)

RE: Slow Shutdown by Chris4 on 08-09-2005 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
hey hehe, well umm thx for the reply, well dont worry my computer if free of virus adware spyware bla bla, coz i scan them always:) ,well for the fonts as i said i will try to remove them, and heheh for upgrading my pc, i have a portable , so hehe i wont think about it at this time :D:)
I doubt the fonts are anything to do with slow shutdown, but store them somewhere if you want them, instead of deleting them :P
RE: Slow Shutdown by Pyroteq on 08-10-2005 at 01:13 AM

Do you have an ATI Graphics card?
(Youll see why if you say yes)

Also see my problem about this (I still havnt solved it) but it may help you Here

RE: Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-10-2005 at 08:47 AM

Well no i have intel Graphic adapter

RE: Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-10-2005 at 09:12 AM

of course i did

RE: RE: Slow Shutdown by rav0 on 08-10-2005 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kipper2258
The 1200 fonts wont be helping wither ;)
There is the problem. Remove your fonts and watch your shutdown blitz. I don't know why it works, but it does.
RE: Slow Shutdown by Anubis on 08-10-2005 at 11:43 AM

By a long time, how long do you mean exactly?

You could tell Windows not to clear the pagefile at shutdown, this would make shutdown times quicker, however for security reasons I wouldn't recommend it (your stored passwords and other unencrypted sensitive information can get caught up in it). If your computer is otherwise electronically and physically safe, and you don't use your computer for banking\buying\shopping online a lot, this may help you. However this is your call, it depends on how much you care about security.
To do this in registry editor go to;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Change the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 0. Close the Registry and restart your computer. Whenever you turn off XP from now on, the paging file won't be cleared.

Please do not perform this operation unless you are familiar with the registry and regedit. Messing around with the registry carelessly can have undesired effects.

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I don't know why it works, but it does.
It's because when you are using a program that accesses fonts on your computer, the fonts are loaded into the memory of your computer. On shutdown of your computer it takes longer to deal with all necessary maintenance of the memory if during the cycle it has to deal with tons of unneeded crap. This actually makes a big difference.

Overall, I think clearing the fonts is the option that would be best for yourself, before messing around with when the page file should be cleared.
RE: Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-10-2005 at 03:53 PM

I'm now trying to find out how not to remove the original fonts that comes with windows XP, cause as u can see we can't arrange them by Date:S?!

RE: Slow Shutdown by Rubber Stamp on 08-10-2005 at 05:53 PM

just leave the comp after u click shut down...it will shut down some time or the other!

RE: Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-10-2005 at 05:57 PM

hehe what do u mean excatly Freaky Guy!!

RE: Slow Shutdown by Lieter on 08-10-2005 at 10:20 PM

use hibernate mode :D

Start>>shutdown

hold shift key and you'll see hibernate :)

RE: Slow Shutdown by WDZ on 08-11-2005 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
I'm now trying to find out how not to remove the original fonts that comes with windows XP, cause as u can see we can't arrange them by Date:S?!
You should be able to if you switch to "Details" view. Just go to the View menu and click Details, then you'll see a column called "Modified" that you can click to sort the fonts by when they were last modified.
RE: Slow Shutdown by zaher1988 on 08-11-2005 at 06:26 AM

i will check this

I mean the details thing

RE: RE: Slow Shutdown by Anubis on 08-11-2005 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lieter
use hibernate mode :D

Hibernate mode doesn't really speed up the shutdown that much, but if your computer was shutting down really slowly it could make a difference. However it must be noted that it's not recommended to constantly Hibernate your computer instead of shutting down, reloading Windows from the memory repeatedly without giving it a proper shutdown once in a while isn't how Windows was designed to be ran, and does encourage crashing after extended use (over a month), of course this can be remedied with a proper shutdown.