Shoutbox

Tiding Up My comp questions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Tiding Up My comp questions (/showthread.php?tid=48715)

Tiding Up My comp questions by MC Inferno on 08-09-2005 at 07:31 PM

I'm tiding up my comp (deleting stuff puttin stuff wer they should be, renaming, etc.) so I gt a few questions

1. Is there anyway ro remiove the recycling bin from the desk top using the registry etc.

2. I need iTunes, but dont want quicktime, if I remove quicktime will iTunes go on the blink (PS. apple are fixing my iPod right now, so that probably needs to have the softwae reinsalled on it when it comes back I think)

3. i use MS Word 2000, is the anyway i can keep using that (I have to use that and that only but its too hard to explain why here) but lower the MS offcie pack from a hefty 40MB (i dont use any other epects of office y'see and im hopin that could be compressed somehow)

4. how do i remove the internet optimiser, i remove it but it doesnt go

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by prashker on 08-09-2005 at 07:40 PM

1.Recycle Bin Remove
Click Start
Run
regedit
------
Look for this  folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/explorer/Desktop/NameSpace

Find this string...
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

And delete it

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by MC Inferno on 08-09-2005 at 08:17 PM

thanx sam, any other answers to me questions please? this would mean alot to me

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by prashker on 08-09-2005 at 08:19 PM

4. Internet Optimizer... Virus remove spyware remover or adaware remover or manually delete

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by MC Inferno on 08-09-2005 at 08:28 PM

i'll try a adware / spyware etc., remover in a bit tar

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
1.Recycle Bin Remove
Click Start
Run
regedit
------
Look for this  folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/explorer/Desktop/NameSpace

Find this string...
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

And delete it

it didnt work
RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by matty on 08-09-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
2. I need iTunes, but dont want quicktime, if I remove quicktime will iTunes go on the blink (PS. apple are fixing my iPod right now, so that probably needs to have the softwae reinsalled on it when it comes back I think)

Backup the following files to another location on your computer
QuickTime.qts
Indeo4.qtx
QuickTimeMusicalInstruments.qtx
QuickTimeVR.qtx

These files are located in: C:\windows\system32\

Uninstall Quicktime and choose to Uninstall Everything. Once uninstall is complete place those 4 files you backed up back into the system32 folder.

Nevermind just tried, it doesn't work it wont play the music.

quote:
3. i use MS Word 2000, is the anyway i can keep using that (I have to use that and that only but its too hard to explain why here) but lower the MS offcie pack from a hefty 40MB (i dont use any other epects of office y'see and im hopin that could be compressed somehow)

You can try to put the CD back into the computer and when it asks if you want to do Standard Install or Custom Install choose Custom Install and remove all programs except Word.
RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by ShawnZ on 08-09-2005 at 08:50 PM

Matty: would Quicktime Alternative work?

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by MC Inferno on 08-09-2005 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty

quote:

You can try to put the CD back into the computer and when it asks if you want to do Standard Install or Custom Install choose Custom Install and remove all programs except Word.

i did that anyway. ah well i can make do.

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by TylerG on 08-10-2005 at 12:48 AM

To get rid of the recycle bin right click on your desktop go to Arrange Icons By>uncheck show desktop icons

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by ShawnZ on 08-10-2005 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
To get rid of the recycle bin right click on your desktop go to Arrange Icons By>uncheck show desktop icons

That doesn't get rid of the recycle bin, it just hides all your desktop icons 'till you take it off, which is the cheap way out :undecided:
RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by Concord Dawn on 08-10-2005 at 01:46 AM

quote:

I *believe* (don't quote me on this) that you can install iTunes without installing Quicktime. There should be an option to not install Quicktime when you're installing iTunes. And if there isn't, iTunes *shouldn't* stop working if you uninstall Quicktime. I *believe* iTunes will just keep any neccessary codecs, etc. Just try it, if it screws up you can always reinstall it.
RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by TylerG on 08-10-2005 at 02:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by TylerG

That doesn't get rid of the recycle bin, it just hides all your desktop icons 'till you take it off, which is the cheap way out :undecided:
Guess I am cheap then:P
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
I *believe* (don't quote me on this) that you can install iTunes without installing Quicktime. There should be an option to not install Quicktime when you're installing iTunes. And if there isn't, iTunes *shouldn't* stop working if you uninstall Quicktime. I *believe* iTunes will just keep any neccessary codecs, etc. Just try it, if it screws up you can always reinstall it.
That used to be the case until the latest iTunes came out, at least I am pretty sure...:P Which is pretty stupid in my opinion

RE: Tiding Up My comp questions by uberdosis on 08-10-2005 at 06:10 AM

2. Quicktime

Get quicktime pro.