Shoutbox

Possible Virus spreading around MSN? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Possible Virus spreading around MSN? (/showthread.php?tid=48771)

Possible Virus spreading around MSN? by frankiedaman on 08-10-2005 at 11:40 PM

I wonder if you guys can give me a little bit of advice.

I've had a message from a few of my contacts today about an MSN Plus (not a typo) patch.

An example of a message i've recieved is "lol! check out MSN Plus...it ownz!   hxxp://www.msgpluszone.com/msnplus-patch.exe" (xx replacing tt in this example shown here for obvious reasons)

I'm guessing its a new virus spreading around, anyone else got this message recently from their contacts?

RE: Possible Virus spreading around MSN? by Dane on 08-11-2005 at 12:07 AM

Good Evening.  I am the owner of Messenger Plus! Zone and am looking into this. I apologize for the problem associated with this file you got off of our website, it was uploaded without my knowledge an I have no idea where it came from.  Affected Files Removed.

RE: Possible Virus spreading around MSN? by Dane on 08-11-2005 at 02:35 AM

McAfee has analyzed this file and has returned a set of extra detection to me. The virus is called PWCrack-Passview.  I will not post a new post when Symantec issues protection, but instead will update this post.

In the meantime, you can download and install the attached EXTRA.dat (in th ZIP FILE) and place it in your McAfee AntiVirus Directory.  Again, I apologize for the problem, the files have been removed from the domain and I am working to trace the people to blame.