Shoutbox

What do you think about... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What do you think about... (/showthread.php?tid=48809)

What do you think about... by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 04:15 PM

What do you think about Macs? As in Apple Laptops... yay or nay?

RE: What do you think about... by philipe on 08-11-2005 at 04:35 PM

I love the design and everything, just that they are not compatible with every hardware or software.  I wanted to get an I Book or Power Book, but then stayed with my old laptop and cleaned it out.  I also think that macs are really good for portable use, but for the home and desktop use I prefer windows.  My cousin has an apple power pc g5 with dual processors and 2 GB ram and a 30 inch apple cinema display.  He uses it for web design like macromedia and photoshop where the dual processors can come in really handy :wink:

RE: What do you think about... by user35870 on 08-11-2005 at 04:56 PM

I like the style of macs but I couldn't really see me getting used to one as i've used Windows with  every computer i've had. And also there isn't a large range of programs for it as there is for windows.

RE: What do you think about... by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
And also there isn't a large range of programs for it as there is for windows.

True, so i was researching and found Virtual PC for Mac

RE: What do you think about... by tomfletcherman on 08-11-2005 at 05:36 PM

I have a very large problem with apple, imo they are getting as bad as microsoft. They design something and it looks great, but at the same time they have retarded one button mice. ipods only look good, but the abttery life has always been an issue. Creative make much more robust interesting products, and the two latest sony players are smaller and lighter, which I would rather have for functionality over design. The worst of it is of course the iTunes music store which has odd files that only play on your ipod, and they are thinking about sueing real jsut because they want their tracks to work on the ipod too. Talk about market dominance *spits*

RE: What do you think about... by ShawnZ on 08-11-2005 at 05:48 PM

Yep, macs really look great. It's just the interface which was designed too simple and has wayyyy too much eye candy.

I'd definatly say Mac OS doesn't have the power that Windows or Linux does, since theres way too many idiotic things in the filesystem aswell.

RE: What do you think about... by user27089 on 08-11-2005 at 05:51 PM

I've never liked Macintosh computers, although, I like the designs and general user interface of them. They aren't as user friendly as Windows, and are just annoying to use, then there is the compatibility side of it, most companies develop their programs for use for Windows only, unless of course you have the very major companies like Adobe, where you have to pay thousands for your software. Macintosh computers are only good for one thing in my opinion, and that's video editing.

RE: What do you think about... by M73A on 08-11-2005 at 05:52 PM

nay.... more programs for windows... don't have to scrutinize every little thing you buy to see if its compatible if you have windows...

i dont like the way the screen is not secured... im not sure what its called but its like the sims... roll the mouse to a side and the desktop moves in the direction of that side... i know what i mean anyway:P (not sure if its optional but i don't have much experience with macs... dont like em much:P) the Apple tore in bluewater is good though:P

RE: What do you think about... by Fourjays on 08-11-2005 at 06:56 PM

I dislike Apple intensely. That is mainly down to the corporate games they play (ones that I find much worst than any of the things MS have been accused of), but I have also had several bad experiences with iTunes. :@

My understanding is that Macs are good for a few things - image editing, sound editing and video editing. Something to do with the way they handle their memory, I read somewhere. *-)

RE: What do you think about... by TylerG on 08-11-2005 at 07:05 PM

I love macs.  Everything about them is great, design and OS.  My brother has a mac mini,  I love it.  The only reason I don't have one is because of the compatibility issues.  But, hopefully when Apple switches to intel and dell starts releasing computers with Mac OSX installed it will solve most of the compatibility issues.  If I have enough money for a laptop, My first choice would be an iBook.  So that I can have a PC for gaming and stuff, and I wouldn't really have to worry about compatibility. 

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
i dont like the way the screen is not secured... im not sure what its called but its like the sims... roll the mouse to a side and the desktop moves in the direction of that side... i know what i mean anyway:P (not sure if its optional but i don't have much experience with macs... dont like em much:P) the Apple tore in bluewater is good though:P
  That is optional:P
quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
They design something and it looks great, but at the same time they have retarded one button mice
Umm they released a new mouse that is compatible for both windows and mac, and it has two buttons:P  Check it out here
RE: What do you think about... by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 07:08 PM

its just im thinking of getting one but i want my MSN  7.5 and Plus tho :(

RE: What do you think about... by TylerG on 08-11-2005 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
its just im thinking of getting one but i want my MSN  7.5 and Plus tho :(
  That was one reason I bought the computer I have now and not an iBook:P
RE: What do you think about... by SithToast on 08-11-2005 at 10:40 PM

As a mac user (12" Powerbook), YES! Get one! They may not be compatible with everything on the windows side of things, but most of the popular games are ported over. Even if you haven't used OS X before, you'll know how to use it as soon as you start messing around with it, it's that intuitive. :) Everything works... it just works. Imagine plugging something in and it working, no drivers or anything :O

As for the LOL ONE BUTAN thing. With OS X you really don't need 2 buttons, you can do just about everything by dragging and dropping.... but if you really wanted to use a 2 button mouse, you could plug in one of your PC mice and use that (or get a mighty mouse :O) Having only one button available also means software designers for OS X have to rethink everything to make it a little easier to use. No hidden right click menus! :D