Shoutbox

Upgraded net speed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Upgraded net speed (/showthread.php?tid=48812)

Upgraded net speed by Reaper on 08-11-2005 at 04:57 PM

Out of nowhere my parents upgraded my net speed from 300k to 1Mb. i shouldnt be complaining but now i got a 3Gb monthly allowance where i had unlimited broadband on 300k.
What i wanna know is how much can 3Gb a month do?
bearing in mind, i play games online and download torrents and other BIGGGG files

RE: Upgraded net speed by saralk on 08-11-2005 at 04:59 PM

Well i've just finished downloading an 8GB file, so 3GB would be no good for me.

It depends on what you download, if you download TV shows, then a 40 minute episode is about 300MB, so you could download about 10 episodes a month.

RE: Upgraded net speed by Max on 08-11-2005 at 05:06 PM

I had 1/2 mb connection on Sunday, on Monday, BT [who will only be my ISP for 3 more weeks, they are really rubbish when it comes to bandwidth] upgraded my internet connection top 2.2mb which is double what they were suppose to upgrade me to in March. So I am happy. The ISP I am changing to gives me the same speed, just no bandwidth limit.

RE: Upgraded net speed by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
Out of nowhere my parents upgraded my net speed from 300k to 1Mb. i shouldnt be complaining but now i got a 3Gb monthly allowance where i had unlimited broadband on 300k.
bearing in mind, i play games online and download torrents and other BIGGGG files

Can i ask who your ISP is please?
RE: Upgraded net speed by Andre on 08-11-2005 at 05:16 PM

NTL I  believe.

RE: Upgraded net speed by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andre
NTL I  believe.

i was thinking that, im on NTL too, however they told me they're not monitoring bandwidth until they devlop a program where you can track it yourself... i've used more than 3gb in a week when downloading files so you should be fine for now :)
RE: Upgraded net speed by Andre on 08-11-2005 at 05:19 PM

Meh I'm sure I read that it was basically.. 3 Gigs is a guideline and as long as you don't go wayyy over it, you should be fine. I've been trying to keep to it.. kinda.. but my downloads are increasing a bit now as is my online gaming so 3 Gigs is a little too little now.. Might go bug my Dad for 2 Mbit connection instead :P

RE: Upgraded net speed by Ezra on 08-11-2005 at 05:37 PM

I download about 30 Gigs a month, sometimes more...

RE: Upgraded net speed by Reaper on 08-11-2005 at 05:49 PM

ye, my isp is NTL. well i download movies, albums. but i play games more than anything. i know that the download limit wont come into play until beginning of next year.
so u lot are saying it will last me :P?

RE: Upgraded net speed by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 05:56 PM

quote:
, my isp is NTL. well i download movies, albums. but i play games more than anything. i know that the download limit wont come into play until beginning of next year.

lol go for it :P you should be okay :)

seen as it doesnt come til next year do it like mad :D i do lol

RE: Upgraded net speed by Andre on 08-11-2005 at 06:36 PM

Umm... aren't we supposed to get upgraded to the 10 Mbit line by then?! If that's right.. they're just asking to be abused!!

RE: Upgraded net speed by Reaper on 08-11-2005 at 06:53 PM

the 10mbit is coming at the end of 2006 for people hu have already got 3mb. People with 1Mb prob get it spring/easter maybe not until summer! you got a long wait so u myt aswell put your feet up and grab a cuppa :P

RE: Upgraded net speed by Andre on 08-11-2005 at 08:17 PM

Bah.. I thought it was coming at the end of this year for 3 Mbit people and during next year for the other guys! Darn.. had my hopes up for that 10 Mbit connecton :(

RE: Upgraded net speed by Max on 08-11-2005 at 08:22 PM

Its so obvious he downloads 30 gigs of hardcore...

Pop Music!

RE: Upgraded net speed by Ezra on 08-11-2005 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~Fusion~
    quote:Originally posted by Ezra
    I download about 30 Gigs a month, sometimes more...

sorry to ask, but what the hell do you download 30 gigs of?

Mostly movie-trailers and torrents
RE: Upgraded net speed by Andre on 08-11-2005 at 08:28 PM

..torrents of what exactly? :P

RE: Upgraded net speed by multimillion2k on 08-11-2005 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Look at it this way:
3Gb per month averages around 100Mb per day. Can you live with that?
(Also, what does your ISP do once you exceed the limit?)
RE: Upgraded net speed by kao on 08-11-2005 at 11:36 PM

my old ISP (freeserve) sent letters to complain about how much bandwidth i was using (over 50gb most months), now i changed to Eclipse 2mb and have downloaded just under 10gb in the last 4 days, no idea how you could survive with 3gb a month :/

RE: Upgraded net speed by Ezra on 08-11-2005 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andre
..torrents of what exactly? :P

Torrents of series I'm watching, so if I miss an episode I can watch it on my computer or others things like dragonball episodes and Wallace And Gromit episodes.

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
no idea how you could survive with 3gb a month :/

Same thing here :P. I don't use as much as 50 GB each month, sure sometimes I get to it, but usually just around 30 GB.
RE: Upgraded net speed by emit on 08-11-2005 at 11:45 PM

NTL's cap is officially 1 gig a day, but they don't enforce it - they're rather free with their bandwidth until you go mental at which point they contact you. On my NTL 3mbit line I easily cleared 100 gig a month. The new NTL 10mbit shiz is gonna have a monthly cap of 75gig... ridiculous for a 10mbit line and totally unabusable. Switch to ukonline to be honest, 8mbit already with a monthly cap of 500 gig. Best deal around (in the UK anyway).

RE: Upgraded net speed by mwe99 on 08-11-2005 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
NTL's cap is officially 1 gig a day, but they don't enforce it - they're rather free with their bandwidth until you go mental at which point they contact you. On my NTL 3mbit line I easily cleared 100 gig a month. The new NTL 10mbit shiz is gonna have a monthly cap of 75gig... ridiculous for a 10mbit line and totally unabusable. Switch to ukonline to be honest, 8mbit already with a monthly cap of 500 gig. Best deal around (in the UK anyway).

Is it reliable and cheap ish tho?
RE: Upgraded net speed by emit on 08-12-2005 at 12:23 AM

They're a nationwide ISP in the same league as NTL/Tiscali/Freeserve etc. Cheap? 39.99 a month for 8mbit... THAT'S cheap.

RE: Upgraded net speed by DJeX on 08-12-2005 at 04:12 AM

I have a 2.5 mb connection with no cap. Works quite nice. I download about 20 gig a month. My ISP is MNSi. Excelent ISP. www.mnsi.net