Shoutbox

"Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? (/showthread.php?tid=48826)

"Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-11-2005 at 10:29 PM

right... i use this program called Windows Washer to clean up loads of unneeded crap...

its splash screen sort of thing tells me my profile, windows type, build and 'memory available'

it tells me i have 77.9mb of 267.9mb free memory...

is this RAM? i've been thinking of buying some more...

if it is would i just slot it into the motherboard and the computer does the rest? or would i have to set it up some how with the bios or windows...

if it is ram can you just tell me what problems i may come across (with my pc.. if a problem is a possibility... it WILL happen :dodgy:) when inserting more/upgrading

Thanks

EDIT: i'm thinking of buying this: >Click Here<

how do i know which one to buy? iirc not all ram card things are compatible with certain motherboards or other ram... oh i don't know anything about this:P

help:'( lol

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by multimillion2k on 08-11-2005 at 10:43 PM

Your motherboard manual will state your ram specifications.

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-11-2005 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Your motherboard manual will state your ram specifications.
what information would i need?

all i found that i know i'd need is DDR ram...

EDIT:

Manuel: -

before installing the memory modules please comply with the following conditions:
-make sure the memory used is supported by the motherboard. it is recommended that memory of similar capacity, specifications and brand be used
-power off
-memory modules design allows only to be installed one way round bla bla..

the motherboard supports DD memory modules wherby the BIOS will automatically detect memory capacity and specifications. memory modules are design so can be insert one direction... the memory capacity used can differ with each slot

also it has pictures and mentions DIMM memory modules (what the hell??? :|) and again about it only fitting in one way round.. and closing the plastic clips to lock it in

Thanks
RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by Ezra on 08-11-2005 at 10:50 PM

You need to know the speed of the RAM you already have, you can check this with a program like Everest

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-11-2005 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
You need to know the speed of the RAM you already have, you can check this with a program like Everest

i get: " Unable to select database" when i click the link ^o)
RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by Ezra on 08-11-2005 at 11:00 PM

Try again the problem is solved now :)

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-11-2005 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Try again the problem is solved now :)

kool program:P not quite sure what i need to look up... ?
Ta
EDIT:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=511204]
RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by multimillion2k on 08-11-2005 at 11:31 PM

If you look under SPD it gives info about the module you currently have. If you buy one with the same speed at least you know it will work. It may not be the optimal solution, but it's a quick and failsafe one. :)

Edit: Click on the Motherboard tab, under Memory Bus Properties it reads effective clock. This is the speed you're looking for.

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-11-2005 at 11:57 PM

334mhz

what do i do with that figure then? :| :S soooo lost..

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by multimillion2k on 08-12-2005 at 12:13 AM

I don't know where you shop, but this site looks good.
On the left you can see the navigation panel - under Ram Type you want DDR SDRAM and for Bus Speed you want 333MHZ. Take a look at the products left and you'll find most of them are the same.

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-12-2005 at 12:25 AM

omg. that site is great!!

THANKS!!!

so just goto the page you said (cause its my comp specs obv:P 8-)) then buy one...

would it be hard to insert? (puttingit in easy part... but making the computer use it is norms an ass:P)

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by multimillion2k on 08-12-2005 at 12:43 AM

No harder than inserting a pci/agp card. I find memory modules usually require a bit of force. Do not mistake this as meaning you have to FORCE it in.
For your convenience, I've listed a few tips:
A) If you need to resize anything with scissors/knife/saw/blade you're probably doing it wrong.
B) If you need to apply lubricant ie. soap/oil/ky jelly you're probably doing it wrong.
C) If you smell/taste burning, you've probably done it wrong.
D) If you wake up in hospital, you've also done it wrong.
E) If there is a flash of light and a beautiful woman appears, you've definitely done it wrong. But at this point you won't care.

..perhaps a google search might be helpful in helping you install it :P

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-12-2005 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
No harder than inserting a pci/agp card. I find memory modules usually require a bit of force. Do not mistake this as meaning you have to FORCE it in.
For your convenience, I've listed a few tips:
A) If you need to resize anything with scissors/knife/saw/blade you're probably doing it wrong.
B) If you need to apply lubricant ie. soap/oil/ky jelly you're probably doing it wrong.
C) If you smell/taste burning, you've probably done it wrong.
D) If you wake up in hospital, you've also done it wrong.
E) If there is a flash of light and a beautiful woman appears, you've definitely done it wrong. But at this point you won't care.

..perhaps a google search might be helpful in helping you install it :P
:rofl:!!
i've done like 4 PCI cards on this comp so ram should be ok then :)

Thansk for all the help:)
RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-12-2005 at 01:03 AM

B.U.M.P soz.. one last question (A)

the card im lookin at says PC2700 >this one< but the one im currently using says PC3200

would that be a problem?

thanks

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by [MR] on 08-12-2005 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance

the card im lookin at says PC2700 >this one< but the one im currently using says PC3200

would that be a problem?

thanks

that means you are supposed to get RAM stick that have PC3200 or whatever your motherboard supports written on it.  if you get somthing other that your motherboard will not support it will not recognize correctly.
RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-12-2005 at 01:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance

would that be a problem?

thanks

that means you are supposed to get RAM stick that have PC3200 or whatever your motherboard supports written on it.  if you get somthing other that your motherboard will not support it will not recognize correctly.

:| that really makes buying one a lot more restricted... if i look in my manuel again later and it says whats compatible adn it can have 2700 etc etc that'd be fine? or would mixing pc3200 with pc2700 be a problem?

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by multimillion2k on 08-12-2005 at 01:35 AM

B.U.M.P. - yeah, it means you currently have a 400MHz module, which is faster. From what you told me about your system it can't utilize that speed so it runs at 333MHz instead (if that's what it said under 'real clock'?)
I suggest another PC3200, it's faster and the price is probably the same. On that site just change the Bus Speed to 400MHz.

..I think - where's cookie when you need him?

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by Pyro on 08-12-2005 at 03:46 AM

the ram you want to buy is DDR2 you need DDR or DDR1 i think

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by Garndell on 08-12-2005 at 07:53 AM

If you buy & install PC2700 (333MHz) all that will happen is the PC3200 (400MHz) will slow to the speed of the PC2700.  You may aswell just buy PC3200 so as not to suffer a loss in performance.

For Clarification:

PC3200 (400MHz), 184pin, DDR SDRAM, 256MB or 512MB.

That is what you should buy.

RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by M73A on 08-12-2005 at 12:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
PC3200 (400MHz), 184pin, DDR SDRAM, 256MB or 512MB.

ahhh simple:)

thanks... i just didn't wanna spend like £50 on something that would slow down my computer! :) ta

i've been looking around at various sites and some of them say this:

Lenovo 256MB 400MHz PC3200 DDR SDRAM (Non Parity)

what does non parity mean? sounds like its to do with partitions but im probably way off:D
RE: "Memory Available" - How Can I Get More? by Ezra on 08-12-2005 at 02:18 PM

UH, It has to do with Parity and Non-Parity computers.

If you put a non parity memory module in a parity computer you will get less the memory than with a parity computer (not sure on this btw :P)

EDIT: From my aries curriculum:P

quote:
DIMMs and 72-pin SIMMs have a module designation consisting of words and numbers. For instance, a 72-pin "8x32" DIMM can make eight million, 32-bit strings of memory available to a computer.  A 168-pin "16x64" DIMM can make 16 million, 64-bit memory strings available to a computer.

To determine a module's memory capacity, perform the following calculation.

First, determine whether your computer is parity or non-parity.  A non-parity computer will use the number 8 as a divisor, while a parity computer will use the number 9 as a divisor.

Second, using the module's number of bits as the dividend, divide the dividend by either 8 or 9 (divide by 9 if your computer is parity, by 8 if your computer is non-parity.)

Third, multiply the quotient by the module's first number.
The answer is the module's memory capacity.  Following are two examples:

A 72-pin  32x36 SIMM with parity.

First,  the computer is parity. divisor=9
Second, divide the module's number of bits by 9. 36/9 = 4
Third, multiply the quotient by the module's first number. 4 x 32 = 128MB
Module capacity:  128MB

A 168-pin 32x64 DIMM, non-parity.
First, the computer is non-parity. divisor = 8
Second, divide the module's number of bits by  8. 64/8 =  8
Third, multiply the quotient by the module's first number. 8  x 32 = 256MB
Module capacity:  256MB