Shoutbox

AntiVirus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: AntiVirus (/showthread.php?tid=48832)

AntiVirus by TylerG on 08-12-2005 at 02:49 AM

Which anti virus programs do you use, and what do you recomend.  Do you think I should get rid of some, because currently I am using 4.  Norton, MS AntiSpyware, Symantec, and Spysweeper.  I also have XoftSpy and Ad-Aware, but those don't offer real time protection.  Is that more than enough?  Cuz I was considering getting rid of MS AntiSpyware. 

RE: AntiVirus by mwe99 on 08-12-2005 at 02:51 AM

I found the Symantec Security Check is good for people who can't afford a proper virus scanner. and yes 4 is too much, it's more likely that they will collide with each other rather than work together.

RE: AntiVirus by Joe on 08-12-2005 at 02:51 AM

Keep Spysweeper
I use Webroot Spysweeper, Norton, and Ad-aware.... my computer's fine except for the whole lack of speed..

RE: AntiVirus by Hank on 08-12-2005 at 02:52 AM

it all comes down to what ur comfortable with using ,, i use VET antivirus www.vet.com.au an i use 2 spyware programs,, 1 i Pay for, the other i use is Ad-Aware, does a good job.

RE: AntiVirus by TylerG on 08-12-2005 at 02:55 AM

Well, Which one do you think I should get rid of, I like all of them.  Symantec owns (not like pwns, but actually owns them:P)norton, so I am suspecting they do the same thing basically, which one of those should I keep:S 

RE: AntiVirus by Hank on 08-12-2005 at 02:58 AM

just keep Norton ,,an Piss off M$$ crap :)

RE: AntiVirus by TylerG on 08-12-2005 at 03:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
just keep Norton ,,an Piss off M$$ crap :)
Like keep norton out of the two, of get rid of everything except norton?

RE: AntiVirus by ShawnZ on 08-12-2005 at 03:09 AM

Drop them all, don't be stupid on the internet. Simple.

RE: AntiVirus by L. Coyote on 08-12-2005 at 03:22 AM

ClamWin. Free, and open source. (Y)

Edit: btw, it's not a real-time scanner. You might want to have one to compliment it.

RE: AntiVirus by Dane on 08-12-2005 at 03:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Of course this comes with arrogance, if you think you're invincible on the internet, you're not.
RE: AntiVirus by Hank on 08-12-2005 at 03:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG

just keep Norton, if you see my thread aboput M$ AntiSpyware from yesterday you may aswell get rid of it, as its gonnea be a Suibscription Paid for software soon enuff,
RE: AntiVirus by TylerG on 08-12-2005 at 03:32 AM

I had to go with out antivirus software for a while.  Cuz I had no money.  Then I discovered AVG.  I used it until I got what I have now. 

quote:
quote:

just keep Norton, if you see my thread aboput M$ AntiSpyware from yesterday you may aswell get rid of it, as its gonnea be a Suibscription Paid for software soon enuff,
Actually that is not true see here
RE: AntiVirus by Pyro on 08-12-2005 at 03:51 AM

dont use norton cos its a memery hog!!!

i'd recomend AVG
Full Version
AVG Free

RE: AntiVirus by Hank on 08-12-2005 at 04:17 AM

quote:
I had to go with out antivirus software for a while.  Cuz I had no money.  Then I discovered AVG.  I used it until I got what I have now. 
quote:
quote:

Actually that is not true see here

Reread the top bit, its FREE only if you
quote:
Originally posted by neowin
In a statement posted on Steve Dodsons's WebLog today we see that Microsoft is infact going to keep their AntiSpyware tool available free of charge for people who authenticate through WGA

RE: AntiVirus by uberdosis on 08-12-2005 at 10:50 AM

AVG Free

RE: AntiVirus by Supersonicdarky on 08-12-2005 at 11:02 AM

i use:
McAfee (paid)
No-Adware (paid)
Spysweeper (paid)
MS Antispyware (free)
Ad-aware (free)
Spyware Doctor (paid)
Spybot s&d (free)

RE: AntiVirus by [MR] on 08-12-2005 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YA_MUM
dont use norton cos its a memery hog!!!

i'd recomend AVG
Full Version
AVG Free

ya but AVG doesnt have certian features that norton has ...for example when u download a virus norton automatically deletes it and then tells you...
RE: AntiVirus by emit on 08-12-2005 at 02:21 PM

Kaspersky is the best AV software. Oh, and not letting yourself get trojaned in the first place.

RE: AntiVirus by Jimcando on 08-12-2005 at 03:03 PM

I use avast! Antivirus.
Its very good and free :D

RE: RE: AntiVirus by Jhrono on 08-12-2005 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Of course this comes with arrogance, if you think you're invincible on the internet, you're not.

Ahhah, Owned!
Maybe you should drop arrongance yourself Shawnz...

Newayz, i allways state the same, Mcafee Anti Virus is good :P
RE: AntiVirus by brian on 08-12-2005 at 03:28 PM

Err, I always runned my computer without an AV software, and its still perfect, with no viruses.

RE: AntiVirus by Tasha on 08-12-2005 at 03:36 PM

I use AVG, but it's not just having an Anti-Virus program, it's also not going on dodgy and stupid sites, or clicking pop-up adverts. For example: "Omg, you are the millionth visitor, you've won a free iPod! Click here to get it!" is most likely to be "Omg, you are the millionth visitor, you've won a free virus! Click here to start downloading!"

meh..

RE: AntiVirus by Concord Dawn on 08-12-2005 at 03:54 PM

I have Symantec and Spybot for when I'm running Windows, in case I do some stupid stuff with my Windows. :)

RE: RE: AntiVirus by TylerG on 08-12-2005 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
I have Symantec and Spybot for when I'm running Windows, in case I do some stupid stuff with my Windows. :)

Is Symantec better than Norton, if you download a virus will it automatically delete it like Norton does?  I am deciding which one of them are better...
RE: AntiVirus by The Napster on 08-12-2005 at 06:55 PM

I sue Kaspersky Antivir Pro, and Hitman Pro 2 (its a cool script/tool, it runs &  (if chosen in settings) installs ad-aware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor, CWShreader, Hitman Antispyware, Webroot*,  Trend Micro SysClean*, McAffee VirusScan*. Plus its does a system cleanup and heuristic anylisis)
[* i dont use cuz its shareware]

I would suges AVG Free for free Av though

Hitman Pro Link (German Site)

RE: AntiVirus by Fourjays on 08-12-2005 at 07:06 PM

I use AVG Professional, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware.

I find AVG the best anti-virus I have ever used. It sits in the background and you wouldn't know it was there. I had Nortons before, and everytime I laoded a game or something, it would stop and judder and do all kinds of weird things as Norton scanned in the background.

I find Spybot and Ad-Aware make a good combo. Mainly because Spybot picks up stuff Ad-Aware misses, and vice versa. Ive used MS Anti-Spyware before, but its somewhat XP-typical "your a dumbass so let me do everything myself" programming got on my nerves, so I got rid of it. Not to mention that it wanted to delete MsgPlus.