Shoutbox

Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? (/showthread.php?tid=48858)

Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by albert on 08-12-2005 at 04:39 PM

hey i got a .avi vid that it only playing sound on wmp.. i was wondering what kin of media player i should dwl to make it play the video, cuz realplayer dont seem to work either.. thx in advance

RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by lopardo on 08-12-2005 at 04:43 PM

First check which codecs you need, get GSpot and copy the results here.

Every player should be able to play it if you have the correct codecs. I prefer BSplayer for video.

RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by John Anderton on 08-12-2005 at 04:50 PM

bsplayer has codecs already and is awesome. i couldnt dowload it tho .... could someone post a direct link if possible :rolleyes:

Just play it at wmp and then see the name in the playlish .... it will be in red with a ! mark before it .... right click on it and see the error details. See the codec required and search for the codec :)

RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by lopardo on 08-12-2005 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
bsplayer has codecs already and is awesome
No, it hasn't.

quote:
i couldnt dowload it tho .... could someone post a direct link if possible
http://www.bsplayer.org/index.php?p=download
For the free version, accept the agreement, choose either the installer or zip version and click Download.

quote:
Just play it at wmp and then see the name in the playlish .... it will be in red with a ! mark before it .... right click on it and see the error details. See the codec required and search for the codec
GSpot gives more detailed info :P
RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by Anubis on 08-12-2005 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo

GSpot gives more detailed info
Indeed, and also WMP will not give the name of the codec unless it can recognise it in some form, GSpot however can look for a codec.
I personally don't find GSpot very stable at times with certain video streams and therefore could be prown to crashing, and therefore would recomend AVICodec over it.

AVIs use many different (MPEG-4 mainly) codecs to play files;
This tool (AVICodec) will tell you exactly which codec you need to play the file, just drag the video file into the program. And then you can pick up the codec you want from www.free-codecs.com.

Also a tool you can install from the website there is called "FFDShow MPEG-4". That is a universal MPEG-4 decoder that can render a lot of .avi files that you may view, if the codec that the file uses is XViD or DivX you can use FFDShow MPEG-4. I find that tool very good for rendering MPEG-4 stream video.
RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by John Anderton on 08-12-2005 at 05:04 PM

quote:
No, it hasn't.
I thought it did have more codecs than wmp ^o) I thought i read that somewhere 8-)

quote:
http://www.bsplayer.org/index.php?p=download
For the free version, accept the agreement, choose either the installer or zip version and click Download.
I tried that a month ago ... the download always failed for me half way :(
Thanks i'll try again ;)
RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by lopardo on 08-12-2005 at 05:08 PM

quote:
quote:
No, it hasn't.
I thought it did have more codecs than wmp ^o) I thought i read that somewhere 8-)
They don't "have" codecs. Codecs are installed in the system, so the programs just use them. Although some programs do have their built-in codecs.

RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by Anubis on 08-12-2005 at 05:16 PM

BSPlayer was designed to work with many codecs but this doesn't mean that it has them installed, in fact it was first designed to work with DivX and Koepi's XviD while using minimal process power. However it does not actually have the codecs built in. It is a good piece of software for decoding MPEG-4 streams though, however the confusion is likely caused by people who spread false rumours of what they believe on other forums as fact.

Most codecs are stand alone decoders that step in when needed, be your player WMP, BSPlayer or a self made VB .avi player as long as you have the codec installed on your computer it should play.

RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by Garndell on 08-12-2005 at 05:55 PM

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Video Lan Player is what i'd reccomend, especially if you use Linux/OSX as it's compatable with them and much more.  Completely free too.

RE: Cant Play .avi Video, What Should I Use? by albert on 08-12-2005 at 07:51 PM

Aight I got it, thx