Shoutbox

New thread/username. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: New thread/username. (/showthread.php?tid=48865)

New thread/username. by emit on 08-12-2005 at 07:35 PM

Just a curious question. Since we're technically only allowed one forum account why, when you post a new thread, is there an option next to the the Username to "[change user]"? Surely that would imply someone could switch between accounts... thus violating the rule of one account per person. *shrug* just being curious.

RE: New thread/username. by lopardo on 08-12-2005 at 07:39 PM

Shared computer?

RE: New thread/username. by ShawnZ on 08-12-2005 at 07:43 PM

some randomly fucked up cookie somewhere?

* ShawnZ slaps wdz for putting uid and passwd in cookies :refuck:

RE: New thread/username. by emit on 08-12-2005 at 08:14 PM

lopardo: in that case you would logout the forums totally and not wait until the "New Thread" page to swap usernames... in my eyes anyway.

RE: New thread/username. by Aeryn on 08-12-2005 at 08:55 PM

Well, IMHO, it certainly serves as a comfy reminder. A user might be reading the forums with someone else currently logged on, and when they start posting a reply/thread, they might easily forget that it's not their account they're posting under. On a few other sites where there is no such option with the username listed up there and all, I see sometimes how people really forget and accidentally post under someone else's username.

RE: New thread/username. by emit on 08-13-2005 at 12:47 AM

A comfy reminder would be if it was in huge letters, yet it is so small....

RE: New thread/username. by Chrono on 08-13-2005 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
A comfy reminder would be if it was in huge letters, yet it is so small....
wouldnt it be annoying if it was biggger? :P it's not like you have to switch users all the time :P
RE: New thread/username. by L. Coyote on 08-13-2005 at 01:24 AM

Because not all boards have the "one account per person" rule (I know, it's dodgy) and as lopardo said, it could be a shared computer, and as Chrono said, it'd be annoying if it was bigger. :P

RE: New thread/username. by Rubber Stamp on 08-18-2005 at 04:44 PM

i have never seen it..and i still dont...where is it???

damn....me too stupid

RE: RE: New thread/username. by Millenium_edition on 08-18-2005 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
i have never seen it..and i still dont...where is it???

damn....me too stupid

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/newthread.php?fid=13

and it's probably a useless feature, but there are so many useless features, it's not something you should be complaining about because it might come in handy for testing purposes etc etc. questioning the coder's time usage is not good :chrongue:
RE: New thread/username. by Rubber Stamp on 08-18-2005 at 05:03 PM

i got it thanx........urrgghhhh
the damn thing logged me out...it is evil and must die

RE: New thread/username. by CookieRevised on 08-18-2005 at 05:07 PM

It is very usefull if you use the forum in public places, if you don't want to impersonate somenoe who worked on the PC before you and forgot to log out...

RE: New thread/username. by Rubber Stamp on 08-18-2005 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It is very usefull if you use the forum in public places, if you don't want to impersonate somenoe who worked on the PC before you and forgot to log out..
ohh....now i get it...but cant a person who doesnt want to impersonate another simply log off and login again wid a diff account....
and its evil and must die
RE: RE: New thread/username. by CookieRevised on 08-19-2005 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
quote:
It is very usefull if you use the forum in public places, if you don't want to impersonate somenoe who worked on the PC before you and forgot to log out..
ohh....now i get it...but cant a person who doesnt want to impersonate another simply log off and login again wid a diff account....
yes,

but then you have to press "logout", "log in", enter login and pwd, find the thread your wanted to reply to, and finaly press the reply button again... and _normally_ (I might hope :D) such a button as "change user" does all this automatically (well except the entering of your login and pwd of course). Dunno why the one on this forum doesn't as it would be a big shortcut. Maybe the functionallity on this board is intended to be somewhat different, but because nobody can/should have 2 accounts it isn't enabled, dunno... however that is what such buttons normally do; provide a shortcut to switch users so you don't have to press that many buttons and find the thread again you wanted to post in.
RE: New thread/username. by ShawnZ on 08-19-2005 at 03:06 AM

quote:
yes,

but then you have to press "logout", "log in", enter login and pwd, find the thread your wanted to reply to, and finaly press the reply button again... and _normally_ (I might hope :D) such a button as "change user" does all this automatically (well except the entering of your login and pwd of course). Dunno why the one on this forum doesn't as it would be a big shortcut. Maybe the functionallity on this board is intended to be somewhat different, but because nobody can/should have 2 accounts it isn't enabled, dunno... however that is what such buttons normally do; provide a shortcut to switch users so you don't have to press that many buttons and find the thread again you wanted to post in.

nope, just sends you to logout.php then the index.
RE: New thread/username. by CookieRevised on 08-19-2005 at 03:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
yes,

but then you have to press "logout", "log in", enter login and pwd, find the thread your wanted to reply to, and finaly press the reply button again... and _normally_ (I might hope :D) such a button as "change user" does all this automatically (well except the entering of your login and pwd of course). Dunno why the one on this forum doesn't (aka it simply functions as a logout button aka it sends you to logout.php) as it would be a big shortcut. Maybe the functionallity on this board is intended to be somewhat different, but because nobody can/should have 2 accounts it isn't enabled, dunno... however that is what such buttons normally do; provide a shortcut to switch users so you don't have to press that many buttons and find the thread again you wanted to post in.

nope, just sends you to logout.php then the index.
that's exactly what I said and are talking about in the text you just quoted (see underlined text) :dodgy:

RE: New thread/username. by emit on 08-19-2005 at 01:27 PM

That's exactly why I questioned its usefulness in the first place.