Shoutbox

Reputation System Abuse - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Reputation System Abuse (/showthread.php?tid=48888)

Reputation System Abuse by surfichris on 08-13-2005 at 03:28 AM

It has become apparent that people have began abusing the reputation system. Don't think this will be tolerated any longer.

Reputations (negatives especially) like this:
"I don't have anything against you but I want to get rid of that +5 you have"

Reputations like this (even though they're positive):
"You are a girl. which means we HAVE to give you a +1 for no reason."

Or not having an opinion of your own:
"What xxx said"

One member has already been banned for this today and for their negative they gave to someone without a valid reason.

The reputation system is for these forums. Don't go rating people because they did this and that on IRC or lied on IRC. If they did, well it has nothing to do with here so keep it off here.

From now on, people who are giving dodgy reputations and reputations without decent reasons more than twice will cop a 24 hour ban.

Users who can give reputations (>100 posts) should know better than this too.

Sorry about this post, but i'm pissed off people abuse things here.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Omar on 08-13-2005 at 03:50 AM

the reputation system is ghey and it should be removed...

there, i said it... :P

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Dane on 08-13-2005 at 03:50 AM

I agree with Chris, the system should be used the way it was intended and no more of this "Because you said I have pretty eyes" type of bull.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 03:52 AM

I was actually quite amazed at the abuse myself... no names mentioned as I dont wish to point the finger but one member has 1 post and 8+ rep and it was because she was a girl, not only is that unfair but it makes the community look sexist too

RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 03:55 AM

I would suggest that all reputations should be moderated/approved before they were seen by the public, but then again would just give the admins more to do ontop of what they already have to do. I do however, believe that this is a good step. I should ask, if I were to see dodgy reputations being given what do I do? Just PM an admin with the users rep link and tell them there's dodgy reps?

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 03:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Just PM an admin with the users rep link and tell them there's dodgy reps?

That could be an option but then its peoples differentation to what is acceptable and not, personally i think they'd just get flooded with PM's by users trying to help

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 03:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Omar

omy has the smartest reply tbh..... just remove it 8-)
RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 03:58 AM

Here here!

Finally something is being done about the ridiculous, pointless and immature reasons for reputation votes.

I must admit, I'm guilty of some, but haven't been making any lately. Reputation votes of the likes stated defeat the true purpose of the reputation system and need to stop.

No, don't remove it - I've been helping out on these forums for a while now and it always makes me happy when someone says thanks. Perhaps a reputation vote could be your thanks to someone. If the abuse stops, as I'm sure it will now that one person is banned, the system can be very useful.

Thanks Chris for addressing this issue.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:00 AM

Yeah, who started giving the "female" user a reputation in first place. :dodgy:

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 04:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brian

some noob, its super unfair, i see some members who always help and total stars at posting and way unrepped but then some other member being a girl there rep is high and they're barely at the forum let alone help out. :dodgy:
RE: Reputation System Abuse by kotjze on 08-13-2005 at 04:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Omar

True. And somehow not... :s I don't think I know where I stand on this.... It really has no point, yet it does, although I have nothing to support either side :D So I'll just... leave now :rolleyes:
RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 04:04 AM

quote:

I did, as a joke - I later removed the reputation and warned everyone to follow suit.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 04:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
its super unfair, i see some members who always help and total stars at posting and way unrepped but then some other member being a girl there rep is high and they're barely at the forum let alone help out. 

i agree, you should be reped on how you help, not your gender
RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:14 AM

Grrr..

So much problems since the reputation system is back, I vote take it away.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 04:14 AM

and tbh surfi u mite wanna start deleting half of the mods/admins reps....coz they mostly are just sucking up or totally random reasons. just like, been a girl shouldn't give u a good rep, been an admin/mod shouldn't give u one either 8-)

RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 04:15 AM

I guess it was me who got ShawnZ banned.

Granted, some, if not all of us has given each other reputation votes as a joke and not all of us can be banned and that was long  in the past so the disciplining starts now.

Ban me if you feel it necessary, I removed my reputation vote but it seems I'm the cause for ShawnZ ban.

Do what needs to be done.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:16 AM

I say start a vote; remove or leave reputations.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 04:32 AM

I do not believe it should be removed, it just needs to be moderated more. Maybe a few "Rep Mods"?

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:34 AM

Hmm.. maybe, but I don't know.

Still, It's won't change alot if we will have reps or not, It'll change that less staff is needed too.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 04:35 AM

maybe we should add a report button, for questionable reps, which would be sent to the rep mod, which i agree are a good idea
[Image: attachment.php?pid=512131]

RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 04:37 AM

You want the entire system removed just because a few people abuse it? That is just to dodgy of a reason to IMHO. I think, one of the following might have to be done:

1. Staff needs to monitor reputations alot more.
2. All reps need to be approved before actually getting to be seen by public and adding/removing from the rep.
3. Get some reputation mods.
4. If all else fails, remove it.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:38 AM

What will be the difference of you, with 10 reputation, or everyone without a reputation?

IMHO, people will think they are just like everyone. =\

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 04:39 AM

quote:

IMHO, people will think they are just like everyone. =\
sorry i don't get what you mean
RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:43 AM

I meant that, people who have less reputation aren't treated as good as people with great reputation, so IMHO, removing the reps. will make us all equal.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 04:47 AM

well i don't think removing it is the right choice, because it is a good way to say thanks to those that help you

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:53 AM

Most of the people we help have > 10 posts, that wont change much either.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 04:56 AM

Why do you guys want the reputation system to stay?

Reputation moderators, why just not have the same mods become reputation moderators?

Report links, meh, I don't know.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by SikStyles on 08-13-2005 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
well i don't think removing it is the right choice, because it is a good way to say thanks to those that help you

the best way to say thanks is by saying Thank You, not by giving them  a positive reputation.
I also think it doesnt make a difference if its there or not, it doesnt give you anything,

if you say they are good for commenting people then why not remove the reputation number and just leave the comment?
RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 04:58 AM

A positive reputation vote means more than a thank you. You obviously haven't been on any forums where this system was used effectively.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 04:58 AM

I think we need an Admin/Mod opinion because everyone has different ideas but an A/M can clear things up which could and could not be put into the forum etc.

The thing about RepMods would be people would rep the rep mods so they get rep back lol ... such a pain

RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 05:00 AM

That won't be problem if the mods don't care? It's quite easy to be non-biased, for me, anyway.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by DJeX on 08-13-2005 at 05:00 AM

HEY how about instead of showing the rep points on the forum posts only show them in the user cp so only the user can see them?

RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 05:02 AM

That defeats a part of the true purpose of a reputation system. It's also to show new users who they should model and why and who they shouldn't model and why. It shows people looking for help who to really listen to prior to listening to others etc.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by DJeX on 08-13-2005 at 05:03 AM

hummmm blast. How about a link then where the reps are shown saying something like View this persons reputation.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 05:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
RE: Reputation System Abuse

That defeats a part of the true purpose of a reputation system. It's also to show new users who they should model and why and who they shouldn't model and why. It shows people looking for help who to really listen to prior to listening to others etc.

agreed, i think its stupid that its just a small minority who abuse this and jokingly or not, i dont think it should be removed as it is a good way of trusting people by noting their rep. I think something needs to be done though.... maybe the mod idea or lower the max rep you can give in a day ( i think its 10? ) anyone confirm?

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
hummmm blast. How about a link then where the reps are shown saying something like View this persons reputation.

Would you really wanna click say 1000 members rep to view it? Especially if you want to see if you can trust them to download a program

(the 1000 was an estimate of how many members you'd click on in say 1 if your method was used)
RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 05:06 AM

Giving 10 reputations a day, is already damn alot.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 05:06 AM

exactly, evil , the reputation system is there to show the people that need help who the best people to turn to are, i'm saying the lower reps are not worth of being asked for help, but the higher reps have been proven reliable, this of course in an ideal world

RE: Reputation System Abuse by DJeX on 08-13-2005 at 05:09 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
RE: Reputation System Abuse

agreed, i think its stupid that its just a small minority who abuse this and jokingly or not, i dont think it should be removed as it is a good way of trusting people by noting their rep. I think something needs to be done though.... maybe the mod idea or lower the max rep you can give in a day ( i think its 10? ) anyone confirm?

quote:

Would you really wanna click say 1000 members rep to view it? Especially if you want to see if you can trust them to download a program

(the 1000 was an estimate of how many members you'd click on in say 1 if your method was used)

Well no thats not what I ment. I meant instead of it saying Reputation: ## under your avatar have a link that says 'View this persons rep'. Not 1000 peoples?

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 05:11 AM

quote:
Not 1000 peoples?

I did understand you however, if your idea was used, anytime you wanted to view someones rep you'd have to click, which would be time consuming and pointless. Would you really wanna click lots of members to check their rep each time?
RE: Reputation System Abuse by L. Coyote on 08-13-2005 at 05:14 AM

I like the report link idea. (Y)

Either way, if the admins really want to keep this system and keep it clean, they will have to moderate it somehow.

They just have to pick a method, and I think people here have thrown good ideas.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 05:17 AM

all in all i think the rest of the forum is moderated, why shouldn't teh reps be, give it a chance before you remove it :)

RE: Reputation System Abuse by DJeX on 08-13-2005 at 05:17 AM

quote:
Would you really wanna click lots of members to check their rep each time?

I wouldn't mind. If I was a person in need of help I would take the time to research the reps. You could make it so it would open in a small popup or something. And I don't see how you would be clicking every rep in a post. That would be dumb and useless like you said, but I say no one will do that. It would only make sense to click a rep of a person who replies to your question.

Any ways you can also tell if the person is new or not by there star rateing.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 05:19 AM

quote:
If I was a person in need of help I would take the time to research the reps. You cold make it so it would open in a small popup or something. And I don't see how you would be clicking every rep in a post. That would be dumb and useless like you said, but I say no one will do that. It would only make sense to click a rep of a person who replies to your question.

not necessarily, i like checking peoples reps not to compete but to see what they've been up to and how they've helped
RE: Reputation System Abuse by Purity on 08-13-2005 at 05:19 AM

I've always wanted the rep system gone....:dodgy:

I don't think this thread will smarten anyone up.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by DJeX on 08-13-2005 at 05:20 AM

quote:
quote:
If I was a person in need of help I would take the time to research the reps. You cold make it so it would open in a small popup or something. And I don't see how you would be clicking every rep in a post. That would be dumb and useless like you said, but I say no one will do that. It would only make sense to click a rep of a person who replies to your question.

not necessarily, i like checking peoples reps not to compete but to see what they've been up to and how they've helped

Ahh yea and thats why you would click this link??

quote:
Originally posted by Purity

I agree.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 05:22 AM

quote:
I've always wanted the rep system gone....

but moding them will, people will learn that you can't get away with stupid votes for sexist or poor or no reason

RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 05:24 AM

I'm sure this will deter a number of reptutation system abusers. They aren't joking around, a membre has already been banned.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by WDZ on 08-13-2005 at 05:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Regexp
I like the report link idea.
Everyone would probably report their own negatives, thinking they don't deserve them... :dodgy:

I was thinking about making a page for admins that lists all the latest reputation votes, making it easier to spot the dodgy ones and moderate them.

I think the main issue is making the people with the power to delete reps (admins) aware of the dodgy reps. We certainly don't have time to check out every member's votes every day, so that one page with all the latest votes would be easier to work with.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 05:30 AM

has anyone noticed the members who are complaining about it/want it removed, the majority have negatives? Obviously want the rep system deleted so they go to... and flame me for all i care but its true

RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-13-2005 at 05:31 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph's Signature
[Like my posts? Rate me! ]

That don't help either :dodgy:

There is nothing wrong with my signature, apart from the link to my dead MSN Space.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 05:32 AM

Not all, I have a negative, and IMHO, its for a stupid reason, even talking properly with the 'person' doesn't work.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 05:32 AM

quote:
Not all, I have a negative, and IMHO, its for a stupid reason, even talking properly with the 'person' doesn't work.

i agree, if you pointed the forum rules out to him, he was in the wrong. not you

quote:
quote:
has anyone noticed the members who are complaining about it, the majority have negatives? Obviously want the rep system deleted so they go to... and flame me for all i care but its true

Umm I don't?

hence the word MAJORITY
RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 05:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Everyone would probably report their own negatives, thinking they don't deserve them...

well maybe you shouldn't be able to report your own reps
RE: Reputation System Abuse by brian on 08-13-2005 at 05:34 AM

I did point out that it was against the rules, but blah, when he doesn't want to be a human beings, he simply replies 'no' :dodgy:

RE: Reputation System Abuse by L. Coyote on 08-13-2005 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Everyone would probably report their own negatives, thinking they don't deserve them... :dodgy:
Not trying to convince you, but as a technical note: don't put the link when you're viewing your own reps. :P

Edit: I was away and didn't see NiteMare's post.

Anyway, I've always been one of those who suggested to remove the system when the topic was brought up. And I still hold this opinion.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 06:17 AM

just delete it......much easier

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Hank on 08-13-2005 at 09:12 AM

be easier i reckon to set everyones Reps back to 0  Except patchou's that is :)

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Purity on 08-13-2005 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
be easier i reckon to set everyones Reps back to 0  Except patchou's that is :)
I was thinking of that also. :happy:
RE: Reputation System Abuse by Eljay on 08-13-2005 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
just delete it......much easier

i actually agree with toddy, the rep system causes way too much arguments
RE: Reputation System Abuse by saralk on 08-13-2005 at 09:59 AM

I think the reputation system is very good at the moment.

When elite members were created, it gave recognition to people who helped out on the forums a lot, however, the criteria to become elite was very hard, and only the most dedicated members became a elites.

I think that the reputation system is good because it gives some recognition to people who have worked hard on the forum.

There is a bit of abuse with the reputation system, why not put guidelines below the rate user form about what is acceptable and what isn't in terms of rep giving.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Sunshine on 08-13-2005 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

I was thinking about making a page for admins that lists all the latest reputation votes, making it easier to spot the dodgy ones and moderate them.

I think the main issue is making the people with the power to delete reps (admins) aware of the dodgy reps. We certainly don't have time to check out every member's votes every day, so that one page with all the latest votes would be easier to work with.
Giving such a visible button to report reps isn't a good idea, not even if you can only report reps given to others...people would go around reporting everything they do not like, giving the admins a huge workload. Also it will cause anger amongst members, if you like a rep given to you and someone reports it wouldn't you like to know who reported it?

Your idea WDZ sounds good to me, view latest reps and mod if need be to admin discretion is the best option.

It has been tried to explain to people (able to give reps) what the reputationsystem is for, and yet they do not listen..so yah, other actions will be needed unfortunately.

I still like the reputationsystem, pos or neg vote it says something about you..if not about the one giving you the rep ;) It just should be used more wisely.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by Purity on 08-13-2005 at 10:04 AM

Yes, that is the only reason I like the rep system, get's to show how respected someone is to the community.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by absorbation on 08-13-2005 at 11:13 AM

I have noticed some odd reputations recently. Like ones that have been given in the first day after like 2 posts and i have not seen much effort from them. Also payback reps as well should not be allowed.

Also i hate people when as soon as they get a 100 posts or near it there rep suddenly goes up. It is clealy sucking up :tongue:

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Omar on 08-13-2005 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Yes, that is the only reason I like the rep system, get's to show how respected someone is to the community.

Its not... its just to boost the persons ego...
RE: Reputation System Abuse by Veggie on 08-13-2005 at 02:50 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=512377]
Couldnt resist...

Yeah the rep systems only usefull for annoying people.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by absorbation on 08-13-2005 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
[Image: attachment.php?pid=512377]
Couldnt resist...

Yeah the rep systems only usefull for annoying people.

now why do we give girls more reps?
RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Again, I think giving a few people power to delete reputations, and to ban them from the reputation system (Toddy got owned :p) would be a easy solution, plus what you said. A page that lists the latest reps, that could be accessable for Admins/Rep Mods. IMO, that would help alot. Thing is, who would be the job to do it? (Don't go offtopic saying that you would like to be one or suggesting because it's upto the admins not us, thanks)
RE: Reputation System Abuse by saralk on 08-13-2005 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Thing is, who would be the job to do it?

Elite Members?

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Rubber Stamp on 08-13-2005 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation

Also i hate people when as soon as they get a 100 posts or near it there rep suddenly goes up. It is clealy sucking up :tongue:
does that in some way refer to me?
RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
quote:

does that in some way refer to me?

I dont think that people should be singled out, nor believe you are being so.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

Elite Members?

Read what I posted :blah:

quote:
(Don't go offtopic saying that you would like to be one or suggesting because it's upto the admins not us, thanks)

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Rubber Stamp on 08-13-2005 at 03:55 PM

yeah okay, it was just a thought

RE: Reputation System Abuse by user27089 on 08-13-2005 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Reputations like this (even though they're positive):
"You are a girl. which means we HAVE to give you a +1 for no reason."

Yeah, my bad... 8-)...

I don't give pointless reps really, only things like that when everybody give them people for no reason.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by saralk on 08-13-2005 at 04:10 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saralk

Elite Members?

Read what I posted :blah:

quote:
(Don't go offtopic saying that you would like to be one or suggesting because it's upto the admins not us, thanks)

I wasn't suggesting myself or someone, but just a convieniently, pre-selected group of people who are known to be highly respected members of the community.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by John Anderton on 08-13-2005 at 05:02 PM

Could we increase the limit required to vote to about say ... 500 or atleast put a limit to recieve a vote to about 200 or something cause useless vote giving is annoying.
I personally havent given a vote to anyone in i think a month or a month and a half + .... if you dont have a valid reason then just keep quite :-/
Stop sucking up :tongue:

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Could we increase the limit required to vote to about say ... 500

easy to say when you have 13xx posts, no offence
RE: Reputation System Abuse by user27089 on 08-13-2005 at 06:08 PM

quote:
quote:

I agree, in a way. It is easy to say that it should be increased to 1000 or something ludicrous like that, if of course, you are over that amount, but if you are below that amount, it seems like ages away constantly, and it wouldn't be nice at all.

Personally, I don't think there should be a restriction on whether the person you are giving the vote to's post count is too low (if you know what I mean).

I think the system is fine and perfectly stable as it is, by the time people have 100 posts on this forum, they're usually smarter and better-behaved than they were when they had less posts...
RE: Reputation System Abuse by John Anderton on 08-13-2005 at 06:14 PM

quote:
quote:

Dont get me wrong .... im all for the good users who dont misuse it but there are people who actually post just to reach that 100 figure mark and to gain votes from others. I think the rep system is good. It gives that something to the forum and makes it close as it is. Most of us have atleast 4 - 5 + members who are good friends. Even if you have been a regular member for a month or two you will have good friends here :)
And btw ... none taken :P

I think we could have a minimum limit to vote to .... yea there are so many points to say no to like there are good members having 10 - 20 votes but c'mon.

We could have a group of unbiased, respected forum members for rep viewing .... If 2 - 3 of them say that the rep aint valid then its not. Every rep has to be seen once. If a repmod says its not ok then another repmod looks at it. That one says yes to then its scrapped.

I know its gonna increase the load on ppl but thats the olny way i see apart from increasing the minimum vote revieving and/or giving limit and/or scrapping the whole system itself (for which i am not cause i already said it kinda holds us together in a weird way)

And btw .... 500 posts .... was just a random number nitemare .... i wasnt saying it should be that much ... just that it should be increased :)
RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 06:17 PM

what about instead of increasing the number of posts you have to have, we put a weekly limit on it, say 5-7 reps a week, nomore, perhaps

RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 06:18 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Dont get me wrong .... im all for the good users who dont misuse it but there are people who actually post just to reach that 100 figure mark and to gain votes from others. I think the rep system is good. It gives that something to the forum and makes it close as it is. Most of us have atleast 4 - 5 + members who are good friends. Even if you have been a regular member for a month or two you will have good friends here :)
And btw ... none taken :P

I think we could have a minimum limit to vote to .... yea there are so many points to say no to like there are good members having 10 - 20 votes but c'mon.

We could have a group of unbiased, respected forum members for rep viewing .... If 2 - 3 of them say that the rep aint valid then its not. Every rep has to be seen once. If a repmod says its not ok then another repmod looks at it. That one says yes to then its scrapped.

I know its gonna increase the load on ppl but thats the olny way i see apart from increasing the minimum vote revieving and/or giving limit and/or scrapping the whole system itself (for which i am not cause i already said it kinda holds us together in a weird way)

And btw .... 500 posts .... was just a random number nitemare .... i wasnt saying it should be that much ... just that it should be increased :)

If you do implicate a system like this more people will spam to X amount so they can give rep...
RE: Reputation System Abuse by John Anderton on 08-13-2005 at 06:20 PM

quote:
what about instead of increasing the number of posts you have to have, we put a weekly limit on it, say 5-7 reps a week, nomore, perhaps
Erm i guess that'd doo but 5 - 7 is quite a big number too :P
And its too small for some ppl sometimes if u know what i mean :P

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I think the system is fine and perfectly stable as it is, by the time people have 100 posts on this forum, they're usually smarter and better-behaved than they were when they had less posts...
most are but some arent :P
The system is almost stable but not quite ... hence this thread :P
RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 06:22 PM

quote:
quote:

most are but some arent
The system is almost stable but not quite ... hence this thread 

i think rep bannings are a good idea to solve this

RE: Reputation System Abuse by John Anderton on 08-13-2005 at 06:23 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

most are but some arent
The system is almost stable but not quite ... hence this thread 

i think rep bannings are a good idea to solve this

as in not allow a person to give a rep for some time / perma rep ban thing ????

I dont think that'll solve stuff as very very very few ppl (afaik) abuse it enough to be banned.
banned from voting or banned from the forum (well the latter is possible)
but the sinle incidents add up to be too much for the mods and admins :-/
RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
yes, and if they keep going the same way after th ban, maybe a 24 hour forum ban is in order, which would be aproved by the admins
RE: Reputation System Abuse by John Anderton on 08-13-2005 at 06:26 PM

quote:
quote:
yes, and if they keep going the same way after th ban, maybe a 24 hour forum ban is in order
thats something surfi already said in his 1st post .... and read my above edited post ;)
RE: Reputation System Abuse by Tasha on 08-13-2005 at 06:58 PM

I personally think, that for one thing, people shouldn't give reps for things unrelated to the forums, and to helping on the forums. For example, "for being a girl" or "for being hot" or "you're a really great person on IRC" aren't really good reasons, as they don't relate to how a person is on the forum.
I know that us girls do tend to get more votes than others, I would like to hope that all of my reps are un-related to being a girl though. I know that there is at least one girl on here, (who hasnt posted in a while), who never posted her picture, and has quite a low rep, when she did help a lot. So I dunno.. maybe for the girls getting reps thing, it's somehow related to the posting of our pictures. Or maybe i'm just being completely off the mark, and am thinking on things way too much.
Imho, I think reputation bans would be a good idea. Say, depending on the amount of rubbish reps you give, after a certain amount, it bans you from giving any reputations at all, for a set period. If you persist after this, then a 24 hour ban, as someone else suggested.
I think reputation moderators wouldn't be such a good idea, although it could work. I think it wouldn't work because it would be hard to select people who can fairly judge what is a good, and what is a bad reputation. It would also have to be elite members, tbh, who were the reputation moderators, as they, imo, are more trusted than any of the normal members. And normal members could also become biased towards their friends. But as I said, it could work.
A reporting system for reputations could easily be abused, as you could simply report a reputation you don't like, and it might not be removed, but it would waste admins/moderators time, because they would have had to read through all the reps, and it would be pointless to come to a lot of reps that shouldn't have been reported in the first place. Also, you could get members who report peoples reps, just because they don't like that person.
As for increasing the amount of posts that you have to have to give a rep.. Well, that would also increase spam, as people would be desperate to get to that certain number. And also, it is not fair on certain respected forum members, who don't post as much as others, and don't reach high numbers for quite a while, to not be able to rate fellow members for their good help, etc.
I have seen on some forums that also have a type of rep system, that you cannot give a reputation to a member that doesn't have a certain amount of posts, or hasn't posted yet. I think that could also be a good idea. For example, you'd have to have above, say, 10 posts, before someone get give you a reputation. This would stop people who are new, and are known from IRC, or something, getting reps suddenly, and it would give us all a chance to have something to view, to base our reputation for that user on.

Just what I think. Thanks for reading it, if you do. :)

RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-13-2005 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I have seen on some forums that also have a type of rep system, that you cannot give a reputation to a member that doesn't have a certain amount of posts, or hasn't posted yet.

i agree, this would allow peopel to actualy help people before they get reps, which is the point of our rep system

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Joa on 08-13-2005 at 08:14 PM

i think that the rep system is better than it was at a certain time.. but it is still abused a lot. yes some people get positives for no good reason, but also negatives. i think banning is good but mods for reps would be better. simply because a lot of reps are given to people all the time, and i think that our mods already have enough stuff to put up with.

i agree with some things tasha said, and would like to add that - to be honest, me and her got our reps completely removed at one point, not because it was high and gave us an "ego boost", but because it was unfair (perhaps even now it still is.. :-/). and it feels HORRIBLE to be given a rep point that you know you don't deserve.

i've said this before but i would like to make it clear... if you give a positive to a girl just for the sake that she is a girl, or you like the way she looks. it can actually end up hurting her and making her feel literally like trash. i'm speaking for myself (but i think tasha would agree, and probably thinks similarly) we're not some bimbos who are happy to be rated positives just for being girls :-/ ...

so anyway, as i said bans are ok, but i think that moderators would be a bit better :happy: BUT i think there should be a woman moderator too tbh
* Joa looks at sunshine

RE: Reputation System Abuse by absorbation on 08-13-2005 at 08:24 PM

joa is right. it was bad, then better now getting bad in the last week :tongue:

some new members have been getting reps for no real reason :( and some irc people reps are very high for no reason :(

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 08:28 PM

quote:
joa is right. it was bad, then better now getting bad in the last week :tongue:

some new members have been getting reps for no real reason :( and some irc people reps are very high for no reason :(
not for no reason....people on irc help out quite alot so why shouldn't they have a high rep

RE: Reputation System Abuse by blackjack on 08-13-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha

I think that could also be a good idea. For example, you'd have to have above, say, 10 posts, before someone get give you a reputation. This would stop people who are new, and are known from IRC, or something, getting reps suddenly, and it would give us all a chance to have something to view, to base our reputation for that user on.

I agree with that, i have given reps without a valind reason.. but thats about to change.

quote:
Originally posted by Joa

so anyway, as i said bans are ok, but i think that moderators would be a bit better :happy: BUT i think there should be a woman moderator too tbh
* Joa looks at sunshine

I agree with bans too, and i like Sunshine to be a rep mod. :)

But like Tasha said.. current mods. have lot of things to do :S. So the elites are the must trusted ones.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 08:35 PM

bannin people from giving reps sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

RE: RE: Reputation System Abuse by blackjack on 08-13-2005 at 08:42 PM

quote:
bannin people from giving reps sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

No, because its against the rules to abuse a Forum feature...

Forum Abuse: Do not abuse features of the board (such as MyCode and the Shoutbox) to do malicious or really annoying things. 8-)

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk
No, because its against the rules to abuse a Forum feature...

Forum Abuse: Do not abuse features of the board (such as MyCode and the Shoutbox) to do malicious or really annoying things. 8-)
where it say that u can't give silly comments ??? if u think somone derverses a rep whys it matter what it says in the comment box

RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 09:18 PM

That doesnt mean just because it isnt in the rules you dont have to listen to what an Administrator says. The admins have stated PLENTLY of times TO NOT ABUSE THE REPUTATION SYSTEM. You abused it, you got banned from it, deal with it :tongue:.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by dylan! on 08-13-2005 at 09:19 PM

i dont think it really matters what people put in them...there will always be somethign wrong with everything...theres laws and people break them theres a forum people spam them theres rep system people will obviously give silly comments and so on and it shouldnt matter what other people think...its not like its hurting anyone or anything and if your that pissed and everything about it and its that annoying and that bad remove it...but i dont see how its hurting anyone with silly comments

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 09:20 PM

quote:
That doesnt mean just because it isnt in the rules you dont have to listen to what an Administrator says. The admins have stated PLENTLY of times TO NOT ABUSE THE REPUTATION SYSTEM. You abused it, you got banned from it, deal with it :tounge:.

when has it ever been stated that u need to give a good reason ??? (apart from yesterday when surfi posted about it) all the reps i gave where to people who deserved them, yeh some of the reasons my have been dodgy (done for a lugh) but it doesn't mean that i don't thing they should have the rep
RE: Reputation System Abuse by mwe99 on 08-13-2005 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blaCkjaCk
So the elites are the must trusted ones.

Maybe so but i dont htink you can just expect them to do it, the Admins and Mods would have to discuss it, some people may not want to do that.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by RebelSean on 08-13-2005 at 09:26 PM

quote:
quote:
That doesnt mean just because it isnt in the rules you dont have to listen to what an Administrator says. The admins have stated PLENTLY of times TO NOT ABUSE THE REPUTATION SYSTEM. You abused it, you got banned from it, deal with it :tounge:.

when has it ever been stated that u need to give a good reason ??? (apart from yesterday when surfi posted about it) all the reps i gave where to people who deserved them, yeh some of the reasons my have been dodgy (done for a lugh) but it doesn't mean that i don't thing they should have the rep

Alot of times. Plenty of times Chris has told us/you on IRC not to, I'm sure it's been posted on the forums also.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 09:32 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Alot of times. Plenty of times Chris has told us/you on IRC not to, I'm sure it's been posted on the forums also.

chris has never told me not to post stupid comments in peoples reps :/
RE: Reputation System Abuse by dylan! on 08-13-2005 at 09:33 PM

wow...i went through chris' rep and i found alot that didnt have to do with these forums and were against what hes complaining about...i know these forums are powered by mybb but lots of forums are and him making mybb doesnt really have anything to do with these forums in particuallar.... Matty (57) - Last updated on Tuesday, October 12th, 2004 at 09:47 PM

Positive: +2 Just because you own MyBB *wink* this isn't the reason but still

sock (25) - Last updated on Monday, November 1st, 2004 at 07:12 PM

Positive: fishy! :cheesy: A truly great fish.

Anubis (58) - Last updated on Thursday, October 28th, 2004 at 05:00 AM

Positive: Works and makes MyBB, what more can I say?

Mnjul (28) - Last updated on Friday, October 22nd, 2004 at 09:51 AM

Positive: You are a nice fish!!!!!!

Mippo (18) - Last updated on Thursday, October 14th, 2004 at 09:15 AM

Positive: Oh come on, we all know what you think of yourself...

Moo (16) - Last updated on Thursday, January 20th, 2005 at 05:53 PM

Positive: Your comments about Chris Boulton: Too many to write!

jren207 (18) - Last updated on Friday, November 5th, 2004 at 08:50 PM

Positive: MyBB!! :P thats what I have to say

traxor (75) - Last updated on Monday, January 31st, 2005 at 07:56 AM

Positive: he's my little modem buddy <3... Motorola Surfboard Modem

paperless (29) - Last updated on Tuesday, March 29th, 2005 at 09:50 PM

Positive: He is nice..im cant say more ebcuase im kinda lazy at the moment and i dont wanna say much more bah.!

Chestah (20) - Last updated on Sunday, March 27th, 2005 at 06:10 PM

Positive: Funny funny guy on msn :P an Australian as well :D! Go you good thing Fishy

shine (17) - Last updated on Wednesday, July 27th, 2005 at 07:01 PM

Positive: No comments..does he need one anyway ?

RE: Reputation System Abuse by toddy on 08-13-2005 at 09:34 PM

dylan! go do DZ's aswell :refuck:

RE: Reputation System Abuse by dylan! on 08-13-2005 at 09:55 PM

alright done...although i added explanations as to why they shouldnt be there:D :

Test_User (16) - Last updated on Monday, October 11th, 2004 at 10:59 AM

Neutral: No comment -no comment is against chris' rule things

Johnny_Mac (14) - Last updated on Tuesday, October 12th, 2004 at 10:36 AM

Neutral: He's the boss, If I give him a good reputation I'd be ass kissing.-he isnt really the boss and if u dont wanna ass kiss dont give him a rep

Phrive (6) - Last updated on Monday, January 10th, 2005 at 11:32 AM

Positive: Changed my name from _-PhRiVe-_ too Phrive - hes changed lots of peoples names and its his job as an admin

The Don (12) - Last updated on Friday, January 7th, 2005 at 07:22 PM

Neutral: Just cause he dont deserve negative but I dont want to be a suck up - pointless rep then

tehGspider (6) - Last updated on Wednesday, January 5th, 2005 at 03:00 PM

Positive: Very Lazy (y)..............Like me - pointless rep

wacky cool (45) - Last updated on Monday, December 27th, 2004 at 09:38 PM

Positive: LAZY! but it's fun talking about weather with him :gfdrin: forums are nice also - hes not lazy and what does the weather have to do with the forums?

raceprouk (41) - Last updated on Monday, December 13th, 2004 at 07:38 AM

Neutral: Lazy - very pointless

The_Thief (2) - Last updated on Tuesday, March 8th, 2005 at 04:41 PM

Positive: Just because you are the admin -yes theres other admins to and thats no reason to rep

Omar (47) - Last updated on Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005 at 11:55 PM

Positive: Was beated up by Santa in a boxing match this past Xmas... :refuck: - nothing to do with forums

Purity (26) - Last updated on Sunday, February 20th, 2005 at 03:37 AM

Positive: ROTFL, He's hilarious!-maybe everyone is but you just havent realised? everybody has a sense of humor just different types...you gonna rep the whole community?

saralk (32) - Last updated on Tuesday, February 15th, 2005 at 03:17 PM

Positive: added the (nah) emoticon -and many other whats so special about (nah)?

Edna Mode (12) - Last updated on Sunday, January 30th, 2005 at 06:59 AM

Positive: great admin - if the admins werent great they wouldnt be admins would they?

Hobbes (6) - Last updated on Saturday, April 9th, 2005 at 03:14 AM

Positive: Hes the lazy Admin :cheesy: But merged my accounts - thats his job as an admin to merge accounts change names ect...and hes NOT LAZY!

Chop (15) - Last updated on Sunday, March 20th, 2005 at 03:05 AM

Positive: DZ is an admin with good sense of humor - same as purity's

Animal (20) - Last updated on Monday, March 28th, 2005 at 12:39 AM

Positive: Agree's with Chop. c00l dude this guy same as chops with is same as purity's

Guest (0) - Last updated on Thursday, March 24th, 2005 at 01:31 AM

Positive: He's a very dodgy admin who likes to delete votes. -very dodgy as in?..i bet it was spam he deleted

DXtremz (35) - Last updated on Sunday, March 20th, 2005 at 12:59 AM

Positive: Dodgy freak.- then dont rep him- pointless

marissa cool (37) - Last updated on Saturday, July 23rd, 2005 at 11:02 PM

Positive: wdz is MYYYYY FAVORITE!-favoratism...why is he your favourite and just ebcause hes your favourite why does that give him a +?

Regexp (19) - Last updated on Sunday, July 17th, 2005 at 10:15 PM

Positive: The only cool admin.-there all cool and hows he cool?...explain!...details?...thats pointless without an explanation

Pr0xY (23) - Last updated on Sunday, May 15th, 2005 at 05:20 PM

Neutral: VERY LAZY..... :P (I dont kiss ass, real life or internet) - hes not lazy god dammit!!!...and if u dont wanna kiss ass dont rep him

RE: Reputation System Abuse by Tasha on 08-13-2005 at 10:17 PM

If you're gonna do the admins, why not just do everyones reputations then? Afaik, the admins have occassionally cleared out some useless reps off people anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
i think that the rep system is better than it was at a certain time.. but it is still abused a lot. yes some people get positives for no good reason, but also negatives. i think banning is good but mods for reps would be better. simply because a lot of reps are given to people all the time, and i think that our mods already have enough stuff to put up with.

i agree with some things tasha said, and would like to add that - to be honest, me and her got our reps completely removed at one point, not because it was high and gave us an "ego boost", but because it was unfair (perhaps even now it still is.. :-/). and it feels HORRIBLE to be given a rep point that you know you don't deserve.

i've said this before but i would like to make it clear... if you give a positive to a girl just for the sake that she is a girl, or you like the way she looks. it can actually end up hurting her and making her feel literally like trash. i'm speaking for myself (but i think tasha would agree, and probably thinks similarly) we're not some bimbos who are happy to be rated positives just for being girls :-/ ...

* Joa looks at sunshine

Yep, I agree with you. I don't wanna be rated positive for being a girl, and tbh, it would make me feel bad if people did rate me all the time for just being a girl, it would make me feel as though I didn't actually do anything to help at all.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by L. Coyote on 08-14-2005 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dylan!
Regexp (19) - Last updated on Sunday, July 17th, 2005 at 10:15 PM

Positive: The only cool admin.-there all cool and hows he cool?...explain!...details?...thats pointless without an explanation
I don't think I must explain my own opinion of an admin. So please, refrain from bugging me.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by NiteMare on 08-14-2005 at 01:00 AM

i think teh rep mods are good, and the report button is ify but could work say you have to give a valid a honest reason as to why you report it

one thing i hate is retaliation votes:

"oh you give me a neg rep, fine heres a neg rep for you"

that is not why we have the rep system jsut because someones negs you doesn't mean your neg them back

and i'm not mentioning names here

RE: Reputation System Abuse by multimillion2k on 08-14-2005 at 02:16 AM

I've kinda breezed through this thread, so forgive me if I've missed something.
What if there was a quota? Say you could only rep 5 people initially, and that could increase depending on the number of reps you have yourself (or the number of posts you have). I guess the downside is that you don't want to have to remove a rep from someone and give it to someone else, but I'm sure there is a solution.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by L. Coyote on 08-14-2005 at 02:31 AM

Well, seems like they've decided already.

Here is what an admin said in the other thread:

quote:
Originally posted by wj
We've been over this before. It isnt going away. If you find a rep that there is some problem with, PM a mod and they can deal with it.

Now, I'll try to get WDZ to add the ability to report reps just to make it eaiser, but it's not going ANYWHERE.

RE: Reputation System Abuse by surfichris on 08-14-2005 at 03:28 AM

quote:
wow...i went through chris' rep and i found alot that didnt have to do with these forums and were against what hes complaining about...i know these forums are powered by mybb but lots of forums are and him making mybb doesnt really have anything to do with these forums in particuallar.... Matty (57) - Last updated on Tuesday, October 12th, 2004 at 09:47 PM
Do you want 10 points for that? Why chose an Administrator (and just me specifically) when you could have done it to another member?

Do you want me to go through yours and delete them too?
quote:
Mnjul (28) - Last updated on Friday, October 22nd, 2004 at 09:51 AM

Positive: You are a nice fish!!!!!!
So that is invalid would also make any "you're nice" comments anyone left about someone else invalid too? It's a description of my character with fish/fishy being one of my nicknames.

I cant be bothered going through the rest, but the ones I was talking about are maining "because you're a girl" reputations.
RE: Reputation System Abuse by EvilSeph on 08-14-2005 at 03:30 AM

Stop analysing people's reputations, especially the staffs
'. All you're doing is spamming this thread as it's not important and reports should be made to staff privately until a report system is added (if it will be). Granted, the reputation system has been abused and this must stop. Good suggestions have already been made and I don't think further input is needed. It is now up to the staff.