Shoutbox

Ping Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ping Question (/showthread.php?tid=48903)

Ping Question by philipe on 08-13-2005 at 11:25 AM

I was wondering about this while playing a game online.  Should the server that I am playing on have a high or low ping to make the experience better.  The same thing goes for me and that if I play, should my ping be high or low to make it better for me and the others?

thanks,

Philipe

RE: Ping Question by Eljay on 08-13-2005 at 11:28 AM

low

RE: Ping Question by RaceProUK on 08-13-2005 at 11:59 AM

'Ping' is the length of time it takes to send a small amount of data (usually four bytes) to a remote server and receive a response. Therefore, the quicker this happens, the lower the 'ping', and the better your gaming experience ;)

For more information, Google 'ICMP'.

RE: Ping Question by uberdosis on 08-14-2005 at 02:27 PM

Ping is response time, normally measured in milliseconds, so the faster the response time, the more chance of lag free gaming you have.

RE: Ping Question by Rubber Stamp on 08-14-2005 at 04:04 PM

it depends upon the geographical location of the two computers(i think)

RE: Ping Question by The Napster on 08-14-2005 at 04:53 PM

Lower is better. I would say anithing bellow 300 is quite good. But of course 0 is best :p

It usually how far away the Server/Other PC is, which affects the ping, if im correct.

RE: Ping Question by Concord Dawn on 08-14-2005 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
Lower is better. I would say anithing bellow 300 is quite good. But of course 0 is best :p

It usually how far away the Server/Other PC is, which affects the ping, if im correct.

It depends on a few factors, one of which being geographical location. Another is the quality of the link between the two computers and also any masquerading(firewalls, proxies, etc.) between them.
RE: Ping Question by philipe on 08-14-2005 at 10:34 PM

Thanks guys! :) In future I will look out for servers with a lower ping, but one question, is it possible for a server to have a ping of 0?

RE: Ping Question by ShawnZ on 08-14-2005 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by philipe
Thanks guys! :) In future I will look out for servers with a lower ping, but one question, is it possible for a server to have a ping of 0?

If the server was on your own computer, yes :P
RE: Ping Question by Purity on 08-14-2005 at 11:11 PM

in UT 2003 you can, but that means the server is going through issues:P

and BF:V ends up at 9999 when you cant connect

RE: Ping Question by uberdosis on 08-15-2005 at 01:42 AM

Maybe if it's your own server sitting beside you. But i dont think it would be 0 even then, mine gets about 7ms.

RE: Ping Question by Concord Dawn on 08-15-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
Maybe if it's your own server sitting beside you. But i dont think it would be 0 even then, mine gets about 7ms.

The question was answered by ShawnZ:

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
If the server was on your own computer, yes :P