Shoutbox

block gifs/ads? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: block gifs/ads? (/showthread.php?tid=48927)

block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-14-2005 at 02:13 AM

k so i go to websites and GIFs like crash my computer...mostly the ad ones. so can you block just gifs? or can someone give me a ad-blocking program? please and thank you

RE: block gifs/ads? by mwe99 on 08-14-2005 at 02:17 AM

you cant block certain files that are display (embedded) in a webpage, well not as far as i know anyway

as for ad blocking i find XP Pop Up block is good :) the one that comes with XP

If not try MSN or Google bar

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-14-2005 at 02:27 AM

no...it's not popups, its ads like on photobucket. icant access that page to upload concert pictures becuasemy computer crashes if its running the ad thing too long

RE: block gifs/ads? by zach on 08-14-2005 at 02:42 AM

That's strange that they crash you your computer ^o)
What browser do you use?

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-14-2005 at 02:43 AM

firefox
its like anything that moves hardcore...like movies hah
its just been ads recently..so thats what ill try. oh i found a program

RE: block gifs/ads? by zach on 08-14-2005 at 02:51 AM

Okay. I am using firefox too and I almost never see ads. I have Adblock and NoScript which block all the ads and pop-ups I think. Try them and see if they help. You will have to build up a list of filters in Adblock to get it to block most ads. I can give you my list if you need them. You can use "*" as a wildcard. eg: http://rad.msn.com/* (removes all ads in hotmail)

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-14-2005 at 02:55 AM

oh, okay. thanks a lot zach, ill try them out

RE: block gifs/ads? by multimillion2k on 08-14-2005 at 03:03 AM

Check out the Firefox forums, Marissa - there's heaps of threads, perhaps one will have a fix.

RE: block gifs/ads? by Striker on 08-14-2005 at 04:08 AM

update your video card drivers. your computer is crashing cause your drivers are too out of date

RE: block gifs/ads? by ShawnZ on 08-14-2005 at 04:14 AM

Yeah, Adblock, then block *.gif :p

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-14-2005 at 04:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Striker
update your video card drivers. your computer is crashing cause your drivers are too out of date

hm can you tell me how? :)THis?
RE: block gifs/ads? by ShawnZ on 08-14-2005 at 05:20 AM

you dont use windows xp embedded >.<

RE: block gifs/ads? by zach on 08-14-2005 at 05:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa cool
quote:
Originally posted by Striker

hm can you tell me how? :)
Right click on your desktop and go to properties, then go to Settings and click on Advanced. There should your graphics card there on a tab. Click it then go to something like information>>Driver Update.

I'm not sure if this is how you do it, but I think that's how I would do it.

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-14-2005 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you dont use windows xp embedded >.<

haha i dont even know the difference :\
k well ill try that zach..thanks

edit: okay so i updated the drivers. when i was running the installer it shut off, but the second time it worked. so...lets just hope this worked :)

edit2: so i go to photobucket and guess waht...?
it didnt work. the computer shut down again.. im sure i downloaded the right one...ill post a screenie so you guys know what im looking for
http://toastednet.org/marnana/help1.PNG
http://toastednet.org/marnana/help2.PNG

RE: block gifs/ads? by linx05 on 08-14-2005 at 07:47 AM

Does your computer crash when you go to those sites in IE? Or is just in Firefox? I would try a clean install. If that doesn't help it have a search for the solution on their forums.

RE: block gifs/ads? by rav0 on 08-14-2005 at 10:01 AM

You could just disable gif animation.

RE: block gifs/ads? by Striker on 08-14-2005 at 07:45 PM

click,
start, run and type in
devmgmt.msc
then press enter
right click that, properties
click driver tab
and tell me the driver date and version

if anything
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel84...=graphics+845main&
and click Download the Intel Extreme Graphics Driver to update your drivers, cause i am almost certain they are out of date

and btw, i'd suggest to change the 'color quality' to 32 bit.. just so every thing looks nicer, wont help you with the crashing though

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-15-2005 at 12:09 AM

driver date: 6/21/2005
driver version: 6.14.10.4342

um i'll try the link you gave me..i think i downloaded that one :\
oh, and i changed it to 32bit...i dont see a difference :p
32bit = whoa better :D

RE: block gifs/ads? by auhsor on 08-15-2005 at 10:01 AM

Alright, to block ads, you should use AdBlock as stated before, but if you want to just be able to stop the gif animations, use this extension.
Also it might not be gif animations that are crashing your computer. They could be flash animations, in which case you can use AdBlock to get rid of, or use FlashBlock to block the flash animations.

Hope this helps.

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-15-2005 at 06:09 PM

yeahyeah! Ddunk suggested that, and that's what i meant when i said .gif...haha. well i'll try the flashblock, becuase i dont wanna not see gifs. thanks so much! :)

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-18-2005 at 12:56 AM

bump.

im pissed...im doing a freaking format. this computer sucks :( and when i try backing stuff up the thing turns off. so its definatly not an interne/firefox/flash/gif problem.

RE: block gifs/ads? by matty on 08-18-2005 at 07:10 PM

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Settings for Startup and Recovery

Uncheck the box that says Automatically Restart and click Ok.

Now visit a site that your computer crashes on. Yuor computer should Blue Screen giving you a Stop error code saying 0x000000CD or something like that just do a hard reboot after writing down the stop error code and post it here.

RE: block gifs/ads? by marissa on 08-24-2005 at 02:49 AM

hm so nothing here helped. i begged matty in pm to help me before it crashed...forever! but he didnt reply, but what help would it do? :P
so we brought it to the little computer shop down the street, and he said it might be the video card so he put a new one in but nope...so he figured it might be the motherboard, but the boss that can changeit is in new york now. so we waited last thursday to today to see if it worked, but the boss left so yeah, the one guy thinks its the motherboard, ram, or something else, i forget ;p. he couldnt even get into bios :\ but its funny, i was in bios the morning beforei brought it in. so hmmm. anyways so thats a stupid problem eh? i guess a 3 year computer just started to deteriorate (spelling?) :( now im on some IBM windows 98 shit box...meh :p
[oh and the guy called me cute...ewewewewew]