Shoutbox

Lock MSN from other users - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Lock MSN from other users (/showthread.php?tid=48961)

Lock MSN from other users by madhouse on 08-14-2005 at 08:18 PM

Is it possible, or is there an add-on, which puts a "block" on other users from using MSN on my PC. Basically I want to stop my daughter from using MSN on my PC because she has a tendancy to accept files from her friends which often contain viruses. I'm looking for something which maybe requires a password to actually start using MSN....asking a lot I know but anything to stop my daughter from continually ruining my PC!!

RE: Lock MSN from other users by absorbation on 08-14-2005 at 08:35 PM

not at the moment :) but in the new msn certain extensions are blocked which usally are viruses :)

RE: Lock MSN from other users by mwe99 on 08-14-2005 at 08:46 PM

The only way so far as i know would just be parenting and talk to her about it, explain to her you dont wish her accepting files without your knowledge. You could also make sure the PC is in a family room such as you lounge/living room so you can keep a keen eye on what she is using MSN for.

Edit: If you go to Tools > File Transfer, you can set your virus scanner to scan all files before they are received.

RE: Lock MSN from other users by multimillion2k on 08-14-2005 at 09:11 PM

Another option is removing Messenger completely, if no-one else uses it?

RE: Lock MSN from other users by mwe99 on 08-14-2005 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Another option is removing Messenger completely, if no-one else uses it?

Gave me an idea, if you did do that, you could let her use

http://webmessenger.msn.com

This is an official MSN messenger but with limited features such as the games/file transfers/audio and cam.
RE: Lock MSN from other users by ShawnZ on 08-14-2005 at 09:25 PM

you can still get links in conversation windows though 8-)

RE: Lock MSN from other users by mwe99 on 08-14-2005 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you can still get links in conversation windows though 8-)

true... however

quote:
Originally posted by madhouse
because she has a tendancy to accept files from her friends which often contain viruses

so it wasnt a link to begin with.

RE: Lock MSN from other users by madhouse on 08-14-2005 at 09:51 PM

Thanks guys for your replies. Unfortunately removing MSN is not an option because I often use it. Parenting is a good idea....but you need to meet my daughter to see that no matter how many times I tell her not to accept files on MSN she stillc ontinues to do so!! However, I didn't know that I could use my anti-virus to scan files that are transferred via MSN....looks like that is my best option.

RE: Lock MSN from other users by mwe99 on 08-14-2005 at 10:07 PM

I think that acutally is a good idea, something like a child safe MSN, not accepting files and stuff, basically MSN with parental controls. I'm not a programmer myself but ill look into it and see what can be done. I hope you stick around the forums so we can keep you updated :)

RE: Lock MSN from other users by ipab on 08-14-2005 at 10:23 PM

if you manage to get a hold of the older version of messenger discovery (V3) you are able to disable access to certain email addresses from logging onto msn messenger.

RE: Lock MSN from other users by madhouse on 08-15-2005 at 04:38 AM

I wonder why they dropped that idea of disabling certain email addresses from logging onto MSN? That would certainly have done the trick.

RE: Lock MSN from other users by Purity on 08-15-2005 at 04:58 AM

Ecko dropped it because, it confused lots of people, and made lots of problems for people.

I'm not sure yet if he plans on adding it again.