Shoutbox

Pointless Block Check - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Pointless Block Check (/showthread.php?tid=48995)

Pointless Block Check by Mentality on 08-15-2005 at 12:30 PM

doesn't anybody else apart from myself think that block checkers are ridiculous, I mean if someone has been blocked they have been blocked for a reason. and in the wrong hands these can be used to stalk and torment people.

It's just a stupid concept, if I personally have blocked someone I'll let them know, but if a girl is being tormented off a guy sometimes they don't wanna let em know. does anybody else agree?

RE: Pointless Block Check by Supersonicdarky on 08-15-2005 at 01:22 PM

no block checker is 100% correct (more like 50%, so you might as well guess), so i don't think you can stalk people like that. but true, if they were always correct, that could lead to something

RE: Pointless Block Check by dawgie on 08-15-2005 at 01:45 PM

block checkers were designed for paranoid losers, go figure

RE: Pointless Block Check by MC Inferno on 08-15-2005 at 01:50 PM

block checkers are useful (H)

although personally I dont use em

RE: Pointless Block Check by CookieRevised on 08-15-2005 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
doesn't anybody else apart from myself think that block checkers are ridiculous, I mean if someone has been blocked they have been blocked for a reason. and in the wrong hands these can be used to stalk and torment people.

It's just a stupid concept, if I personally have blocked someone I'll let them know, but if a girl is being tormented off a guy sometimes they don't wanna let em know. does anybody else agree?
In a way you're correct. When you're blocked you're blocked and you can't do anything about (neither a block checker will do anything about it)...

Although, I can perfectly imagine that knowing when you're blocked can also be a good thing. So they wouldn't be totally useless.

But I don't quite understand how block checkers could be used to stalk people though. Block checkers only check if you're blocked, nothing more.

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
block checkers are useful
IF they would work...

Because as we all know, since a long time they don't work at all anymore and they only can check if you're blocked if the other user has choosen to allow everyone on his list. If the other user doesn't allow strange people on his allow list, then block checkers can only check if the other user is online or not, nothing more...

---

My opinion: IF they would work, they can be usefull
RE: Pointless Block Check by NiteMare on 08-15-2005 at 02:13 PM

instead of wondering you can sit there and cry to your self about being blocked :refuck:

i've done that once:$

RE: Pointless Block Check by qgroessl on 08-15-2005 at 02:23 PM

I like them... they're useful if they work... But then again... if you wanna know if your blocked, just make a different E-mail address... you can add a bunch of people... and rarely ever go on it... and sign in on appear offline so that people don't ask who you are.

RE: Pointless Block Check by Concord Dawn on 08-15-2005 at 02:27 PM

To be honest, it's pretty easy to tell whether or not you've been blocked with most people. If that person isn't on for a really long time and didn't say that they were going away somewhere, you can safely assume that you've been blocked. And if they don't have you on their contact list, there's a 95% chance you've been blocked as well.

RE: Pointless Block Check by NiteMare on 08-15-2005 at 02:28 PM

but most people have to approve your address before you can see tehm as online, and personaly if some body doesn't apper online with in 10 minutes(of being aproved), they're block untill they do sign in

RE: Pointless Block Check by Mentality on 08-15-2005 at 04:38 PM

Like Cookie Said they don't work 100% we all know that, but what i was getting at is that they are just pointless, if you havnt been told your blocked they don't want you to know, any lamebrainer knows that, but you got sad people who have to make up silly little worthless programs because they are so desperate to be liked. I agree they can be usefull (IF they worked) but they could be seriously neglected at the same time. therefore i think they are a waste of time, which they are anyways coz they don't work 100%

RE: Pointless Block Check by Anubis on 08-15-2005 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I can't really think how, if someone has blocked me, I don't care or want to talk to them. Very few people who I want to talk to block me anyway.
RE: Pointless Block Check by CookieRevised on 08-15-2005 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Like Cookie Said they don't work 100% we all know that, but what i was getting at is that they are just pointless, if you havnt been told your blocked they don't want you to know, any lamebrainer knows that, but you got sad people who have to make up silly little worthless programs because they are so desperate to be liked. I agree they can be usefull (IF they worked) but they could be seriously neglected at the same time. therefore i think they are a waste of time, which they are anyways coz they don't work 100%
Well, it's no so much for being misused or used by desperate people. It would be handy to know when you're blocked (in case the user didn't tell you), if so, you could get in touch by email to ask why you were blocked or something and how to improve the situation.

On the other hand, it can indeed be abused (the blocked contact starting to send spam mail instead of a reasonable request for explaination for example). I believe that's also the issue you meant with block checkers being abused? If so, I agree with that now. But as with everything, there is nothing you can do about it other than live with it I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
I can't really think how, if someone has blocked me, I don't care or want to talk to them. Very few people who I want to talk to block me anyway.

Blocking isn't always done because somebody wants to get rid of someone or is annoyed by someone

For example: I once came into a situation were some contact has blocked some groups (because he only wanted to be contacted by a certain group at that time) and forgot about it. Thing was, I needed to contact him with something important and thought he was away on holiday or something. And I had troubles sending email it wasn't a good option either. Knowing he had blocked me (or rather the group of which I was a member), I could've solved the situation I needed to discuss with him a lot quicker (as I first waited a couple of days for him to come online prior to sending email which he seldom reads unless you inform him on MSN about it).
RE: Pointless Block Check by Mentality on 08-15-2005 at 04:47 PM

quote:
On the other hand, it can indeed be abused (the blocked contact starting to send spam mail instead of a reasonable request for explaination for example). I believe that's also the issue you meant with block checkers being abused? If so, I agree with that now. But as with everything, there is nothing you can do about it other than live with it I suppose.

Thats exactly what I meant Cookie. I just think some people can be very deseprate in that way at tmes.

RE: RE: Pointless Block Check by Garndell on 08-15-2005 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
no block checker is 100% correct (more like 50%, so you might as well guess), so i don't think you can stalk people like that. but true, if they were always correct, that could lead to something

Microsoft actually have a method of finding out who's blocked them (only those with access) by accessing the servers.  I'm not saying they do do it, just that they have the option open to them.

I've probably been blocked 20-30 times but it doesn't bother me, I just block them back, lol.