Shoutbox

Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? (/showthread.php?tid=49059)

Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by albert on 08-16-2005 at 08:55 PM

Well here's the thing.. my sis has a desktop running windows xp pro. now shes going to uiversity, so she's getting a laptop, problem is, the laptop is win xp home, and they ask for a win xp pro. So I went to check up prices and the upgrade would cost me 250$ alone.. just to get a win xp pro license key.. so coming back home thinking bout it, I realized my sis had pro on her dekstop and that I could simply install it on her laptop, sadly the cd aint there, and i cant find it :@

But! of course that can be downloaded from anywhere of course..

Now I was just wondering, is there a way to "extract" , "find" my sis's cdkey so I could use it when installing windows xp pro on her laptop?

RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by gif83 on 08-16-2005 at 09:10 PM

I'm guessing that your sister's desktop has been installed with a windows OEM CD intended for use for her desktop alone... this will not work with the laptop as OEMs are geared towards the individual machines. Even if you do have the cdkey (which is normally found on a sticker on the machine) this will not work on a different computer. Sorry there's no real way around it without delving down illegal paths.

btw.. why is it so important to have the professional version?

RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by albert on 08-16-2005 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gif83
I'm guessing that your sister's desktop has been installed with a windows OEM CD intended for use for her desktop alone... this will not work with the laptop as OEMs are geared towards the individual machines. Even if you do have the cdkey (which is normally found on a sticker on the machine) this will not work on a different computer. Sorry there's no real way around it without delving down illegal paths.

STICKER! WHY DIDNT I CHECK!! IM GOING NOW!

ehh and i dunno bout why pro version, her university requires it.

RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by Concord Dawn on 08-16-2005 at 09:18 PM

quote:

Because Pro has things that Home doesn't, such as domain support.

You can try using this, but if that doesn't work, you almost certainly have an OEM issue.
RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by albert on 08-16-2005 at 09:21 PM

Ok well I found no sticcker..:S

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
well i had a program i will try to search for it! but why do u go ahead and find a key on one of serials sites!, i know it's elligal but i dont know.

Cuz she needs to receive updates and everything..

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
quote:

You can try using this, but if that doesn't work, you almost certainly have an OEM issue.

Ill try it on now, thx you, ill post again if it work
RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by gif83 on 08-16-2005 at 09:33 PM

quote:

i guess you got the wrong end of the stick.. it wasn't a general question.. it was kinda one directed at his sister about which features she needed... sometimes there are ways around having to use pro version
RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by albert on 08-16-2005 at 09:34 PM

quote:
quote:

i guess you got the wrong end of the stick.. it wasn't a general question.. it was kinda one directed at his sister about which features she needed... sometimes there are ways around having to use pro version

Guys, stop arguing, it worked I found the cd-key :) Thank you all for your help, it is really apreciated :)

Enjoy ur day

RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by ShawnZ on 08-16-2005 at 09:35 PM

quote:
quote:

Im assuming he said that because most schools require computers with domain support, so they can connect to the school's internet, since domain support, as cd said, isnt in Home edition.

RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by zaher1988 on 08-16-2005 at 09:35 PM

Ok this program will show u up your product key

it's a utility that retrieves your Product Key.  has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, .NET, Office 97, and Office XP.

regards :)

RE: Is It Possible To Use Windows License On Another Computer? by SithToast on 08-16-2005 at 11:11 PM

Chances are the key won't work when you try to activate.
Here's a copy of XP Pro for $78 :) Quite a bit cheaper than $250 :P