Shoutbox

Mind Control - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Mind Control (/showthread.php?tid=49080)

Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 09:16 AM

Years ago Coca Cola got sued for a one milisecond clip of their logo in a movie, because people all got up near enough at once and went to get a drink of cola, they got sued because they used it do get people to do things against their own will, the techinical term for it is a Subliminal Message. I was wondering if this would work in a gif, like make a sig with watever you want on it that changes from one sig to another (for example) and inbetween the transition have a 1milisecond clip telling people to do things. does anybody else think this would be interesting.

my only greievence is i will never truelly know if it will work, because i can't see what people are doing at their computers.

RE: Mind Control by Dr4g0n on 08-17-2005 at 09:20 AM

I'm almost sure it can be done. It'd be so fun to try =p

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
I'm almost sure it can be done. It'd be so fun to try =p
Im tryna make one now, it would be good to host it on a site, then on another page of the site, there could be a poll for people to say if they fell for it or not. that would be wicked
RE: Mind Control by absorbation on 08-17-2005 at 09:44 AM

lol i'm scared however try and keep a close contrast not make it go a flahing red, something little ;)

RE: Mind Control by John on 08-17-2005 at 09:47 AM

Make one that flashes "Plus! rules" :P

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 10:09 AM

I was gonna make one that said, Sign the MsgPlus petition or face the consiquences, but then no one would be able to read that in a milisecond lol

[update] It would have to be an image of something actually, not something you read. so an image of the msgplus logo would make people wanna download it.

RE: Mind Control by saralk on 08-17-2005 at 10:12 AM

if you start a discussion about it, then its not going to work, because people are going to be concious about it. You should have made the sig, used it for about a week and then posted a thread asking if people were persuaded.

RE: Mind Control by ShawnZ on 08-17-2005 at 10:12 AM

Not possible, since browsers like IE cant display images at under 10ms per frame, so you could spot it.

RE: Mind Control by Stigmata on 08-17-2005 at 10:12 AM

anyone seen the movie josie and the pussycats :lol:

or any show made by darren brown..

they have these all the time.

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
if you start a discussion about it, then its not going to work, because people are going to be concious about it. You should have made the sig, used it for about a week and then posted a thread asking if people were persuaded.

I never said I was posting it on here, but i know what you mean.

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
darren brown..
I watch that whenever it's on, its kewl

Anyone Got Any Ideas For A Command?, and maybe a picture :D just a small one that would fit into a space on my sig that would enforce an instruction;)
RE: Mind Control by multimillion2k on 08-17-2005 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Anyone Got Any Ideas For A Command?, and maybe a picture  just a small one that would fit into a space on my sig
Fight Club comes to mind...
RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 11:09 AM

sort of but the guy that popped up in fight club didnt actually give commands to the audience. and i dont think its ever been done with a GIF

Or a Sig for that matter

RE: Mind Control by saralk on 08-17-2005 at 11:22 AM

I don't think it can be done with a gif, the frame rate is too slow. You could do it in flash and use it on the neowin forums

RE: Mind Control by Anubis on 08-17-2005 at 11:28 AM

quote:

I don't think it can be done with a gif, the frame rate is too slow.
You could use a .gif with a high frame rate, you can get them really high, but only a few browsers would be able to display it (Mozilla Firefox would because it shows .gif files with whatever frame rate, but IE slows down the frame rate). However small messages like that don't work very well and won't make people do anything. But if you do try it, I'd warn you that you could face banning due to "Forum Abuse: Do not abuse features of the board (such as MyCode and the Shoutbox) to do malicious or really annoying things." - having images in an avatar or signature is a feature and the subliminal messages are annoying = banning.
RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 11:46 AM

again i'm not putting it onto this site anyways so dont worry guys, i tested it in IE7 coz thats what im using at the moment, and its noticable when changing but i cnt read, but the idea is that its not noticed.

i just used a word to test it. im gonna upload to my photo bucket account and leave a link, can people tell me if they can at least read the word.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Mentality1...mmandSigcmplet.gif

I actually managed to read it after the upload, but im still curious about other clients like mozilla...etc

quote:
I don't think it can be done with a gif

seems to so far.

RE: Mind Control by multimillion2k on 08-17-2005 at 11:53 AM

quote:
sort of but the guy that popped up in fight club didnt actually give commands to the audience. and i dont think its ever been done with a GIF

Or a Sig for that matter
I don't remember a guy popping up in fight club.
I suppose you could say it was PART of a guy....

And someone's already made a gif like that, DJeX made an avatar for tF-OwNeDyOu... He's probably using it and he doesn't even know! :rofl:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=514683]

Mentality - the word is water, I couldn't make it out at first, but when I knew where to look it was clear. I don't think it's going to make anyone subconsciously thirsty though.
RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Mentality - the word is water, I couldn't make it out at first, but when I knew where to look it was clear. I don't think it's going to make anyone subconsciously thirsty though.

lmao thanx, your right also, it was PART of a guy

when people spot the word can they also tell me what internet client they are using. thanx ;)

I reckon if i just change the time scale so my name stays there longer, then it would happen very rarley so it would be harder to notice. I dunno, i obviously can't make IE speed it up
RE: Mind Control by multimillion2k on 08-17-2005 at 12:04 PM

No.

Oh, okay - IE6

RE: Mind Control by toddy on 08-17-2005 at 12:06 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k

lmao thanx, your right also, it was PART of a guy

when people spot the word can they also tell me what internet client they are using. thanx ;)

its easy to see :rolleyes:  oh and FF
RE: Mind Control by Millenium_edition on 08-17-2005 at 12:08 PM

maybe you should add a picture of water instead of the letters... or coca-cola, or something like that.. pictures are easier to recognize than letters :wink:

RE: Mind Control by -Bogan- on 08-17-2005 at 12:09 PM

goes to fast for me to see
Firefox "The only true Browser"

RE: RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-17-2005 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
maybe you should add a picture of water instead of the letters... or coca-cola, or something like that.. pictures are easier to recognize than letters :wink:

I'm gonna put a picture later, also the idea is that it isnt as noticeable, its spose to send a subliminal message so you don't know you've seen it, but at the same time your brain still recieves a message to do something. without you consciously realising you been told to do so.
RE: Mind Control by toddiot on 08-18-2005 at 04:09 PM

quote:

water.

IE6

same with multimillion2k, once I knew where to look, it was easy.
RE: Mind Control by Rubber Stamp on 08-18-2005 at 04:57 PM

i knw use this and see the effect: :pound:

RE: Mind Control by CookieRevised on 08-18-2005 at 05:28 PM

This can't be done in a GIF, framerate is way too slow as stated before.

Also, in order to let it work, people must see the picture clearly. A signature/avatar or the likes in a forum is not something which is going to work, it's way to small to be noticed. The reason why it "worked" at the movies is because people couldn't miss it at the huge screen and because such pictures/messages must be shown multiple times during a long period (but of course only for a small split second)...

To create such message you also need to know exactly how they work; it is a specific "science" you need to learn. Just sticking a picture of a hamburger between several other frames isn't going to work.

And last, don't expect such things to always work. If done right, they only work for specific people and are also highly dependable on the environment it is shown. They only work for a small percentage of people... (don't believe the hype of that coca-cola experiment; it was done (at least something like that) but it wasn't that of a success.)

happy experim*you are hungry*enting though ;)

---------------

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition

I'm gonna put a picture later, also the idea is that it isnt as noticeable, its spose to send a subliminal message so you don't know you've seen it, but at the same time your brain still recieves a message to do something. without you consciously realising you been told to do so.

subconscious or not, the brain works in the same way for that... pictures and pictograms are indeed much quicker reconized
RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-18-2005 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
happy experim*you are hungry*enting though

Funny lol.

Argh it was just an idea, I'll keep playin at it in other ways anyhow, maybe a mini vid or something, only that aint as original.
RE: Mind Control by CookieRevised on 08-18-2005 at 05:40 PM

You could also try to experiment with sound... It's the same principle...
Also search for something called "Muzak"; it's the kind of music they sometimes play in stores to let you buy more (so they say)...

;)

RE: Mind Control by Sunshine on 08-18-2005 at 06:15 PM

Or certain smells ;)

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-19-2005 at 02:40 PM

All very good ideas, the sound one interests me most actually, ive heard about that, i do some audio stuff anyways so i think ill experiment. (the smells thing is abit hard to do online, wouldn't that need some sort of plugin :p)

RE: Mind Control by kao on 08-19-2005 at 02:49 PM

i doubt it'd work at all in something which was just a picture, it's something that would have to be done througout something like a film or video clip (flash video etc).

it's too noticable in something like a signature which is a still image then changes.

RE: Mind Control by gif83 on 08-19-2005 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
i doubt it'd work at all in something which was just a picture, it's something that would have to be done througout something like a film or video clip (flash video etc).

it's too noticable in something like a signature which is a still image then changes.

films and video clips ARE still images that change
RE: Mind Control by saralk on 08-19-2005 at 03:03 PM

yes but what he means is that most people's signatures don't change, no matter how long you look at them for. If it suddenly said "buy McDonalds" or whatever, it would be too noticable.

However, films and video clips are stills that are constantly changing, and you expect them to, so if every 5 minutes, the McDonalds logo appeared for one frame and then dissapeared, it would be less noticable.

RE: Mind Control by CookieRevised on 08-19-2005 at 06:58 PM

and also, as I said before, movies and giant LED bill boards on the street are media which are watched constantly for a long time and on a very big scale/screen. That's also a major difference compared to some moving pics on a site or forum...

RE: Mind Control by albert on 08-19-2005 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
anyone seen the movie josie and the pussycats :lol:

or any show made by darren brown..

they have these all the time.

Seen Josie and the pussy cats lol it was an "ok" movie :p
RE: Mind Control by Purity on 08-19-2005 at 07:58 PM

*gasp* I made one of these! like months ago! :cheesy:

[Image: yourtmygot5al.gif]

RE: Mind Control by SikStyles on 08-19-2005 at 08:06 PM

pure ur sig takes too long to load :P its .png :P

but anyhoo what they do in movies i believe is create this environment that makes u think u in it, in other words lets say u see a clip where a guy runs on the beach and then he stops and drinks cold icy water, doesnt that make u feel like water too, especially when u havent had any for a long time.

when i was a little kid and when i watched movies where a guy poured himsefl something to drink i always wanted that drink..

so what i think is that they create an environment and put like a coca-cola for example in it. people will see it and they want it because they watched the movie, and you know when u watch a movie you are concertrated so people who make movies take advantage of your concertration..

maybe try to create a picture with an environment (a guy running on the beach with cold icy water bottle in his hand for example)

RE: Mind Control by gif83 on 08-19-2005 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
pure ur sig takes too long to load :P its .png :P

but anyhoo what they do in movies i believe is create this environment that makes u think u in it, in other words lets say u see a clip where a guy runs on the beach and then he stops and drinks cold icy water, doesnt that make u feel like water too, especially when u havent had any for a long time.

when i was a little kid and when i watched movies where a guy poured himsefl something to drink i always wanted that drink..

so what i think is that they create an environment and put like a coca-cola for example in it. people will see it and they want it because they watched the movie, and you know when u watch a movie you are concertrated so people who make movies take advantage of your concertration..

maybe try to create a picture with an environment (a guy running on the beach with cold icy water bottle in his hand for example)

agreed that product placement is an important and powerful tool in mind control for selling something.. but it is completely different from the subliminal messages being discussed here.

subliminal messages don't have to come in short bursts either (as far as i'm aware) it can be something that's constantly there but unnoticeable like a sign in the background that says some name that is constantly repeated throughout a film or something... whatever the sign says, the viewer may become accustomed to it and have a sense of familiarity.

anyway... enough of my babble.
RE: Mind Control by dotNorma on 08-19-2005 at 11:59 PM

You cant write a message, it should be a picture. And it wouldnt work on anybody from a forum signature.

Those type of things work because like...When you are at a movie, you always have the urge to buy a drink or popcorn or a snack. Now your eyes capture the image, but it goes by to fast for you to actually recognize it was shown. However, your brain still gets the message and it says "Coca Cola" so you think of Coca Cola and you realise you want a Coca Cola. Its more effective if done several times so the person continuesly thinks/wants a Coca Cola and then finish it off by having actors enjoy a Cola in the movie. My friends mom is a phsyciatrist and his science projects always involve stuff like this. He uses us as expirements, its pretty cool (y)

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-20-2005 at 01:46 AM

does anybody else think that if there was a different frame rate, and if I hadnt have spoke about it, that they would have noticed? Truthfully?

RE: Mind Control by Lou on 08-20-2005 at 03:08 AM

quote:
does anybody else think that if there was a different frame rate, and if I hadnt have spoke about it, that they would have noticed? Truthfully?
Most probably...its like a flashing thing..it shows out alot! :P

But I like this idea
RE: Mind Control by John Anderton on 08-20-2005 at 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
*gasp* I made one of these! like months ago! :cheesy:

[Image: yourtmygot5al.gif]
The pic in the center (the one with your hands n all) is awesome .... it flashes nicely ;) Its good cause the hand colour is as bright (white) as the background of the text :D
So in turn your face flashes :grin:
RE: Mind Control by Purity on 08-20-2005 at 05:33 AM

lol, ya thanks, BTW, its about a year old that pic.....I don't wear glasses anymore. :banana:

I just put the pic in photoshop, grayscaled it and played with the levels.:P  (ctrl-L)

RE: Mind Control by guanako on 08-20-2005 at 06:28 AM

try find the clip of that comercial of coca cola i wann asee it :P
plis anyone

RE: Mind Control by Voldemort on 08-20-2005 at 06:17 PM

GUANAKO!
you are here!
which commercial are u talking about?

RE: Mind Control by guanako on 08-20-2005 at 06:43 PM

the one he talks about in the begginin of the thread

RE: Mind Control by Voldemort on 08-22-2005 at 12:20 AM

oh...
look at this its awesome ... i think they are edited tho..
http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

RE: RE: Mind Control by CookieRevised on 08-22-2005 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
oh...

What is listed there are the famous reversed lyrics of some songs. However, they are absolutely FAKE!

This is what you get when people are getting too paranoid. Those lyrics/songs have NOTHING to do with subliminal message at all, it is the opposite what is happened there. The lyrics/songs where never intended to contain subliminal hidden messages; the messages are "found" by people who thought they were put there...

note: this is also discussed many times before on this forum...
RE: Mind Control by ayjay on 08-22-2005 at 10:34 AM

quote:
oh...

They are all so old but I can't be bothered to look for the old news... image :P

They aren't edited, but you can't seriously tell me that if you weren't looking at what it is supposed to say then you would actually hear anything recognisable.
RE: Mind Control by Purity on 08-22-2005 at 10:39 AM

Slipknots latest album has some subliminal messages....

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-22-2005 at 11:10 AM

The coca cola thing was put into a movie not an add, i will try and find it for you guanko

[Image: cokesubliminal.jpg]

this is'nt a subliminal message but funny if you can see it.

RE: Mind Control by Eljay on 08-22-2005 at 12:57 PM

quote:
The coca cola thing was put into a movie not an add, i will try and find it for you guanko

[Image: cokesubliminal.jpg]

this is'nt a subliminal message but funny if you can see it.

HOW WUDE!

:happy:
RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-22-2005 at 01:50 PM

Lol yeah, im slow took me ages to see it lol. thats more of an illusion than a subliminal message though,  (i tried it on my girlfriend and it had no effect at all.)

RE: Mind Control by user27089 on 08-22-2005 at 03:40 PM

That has probably been digitally enhanced to do it, how else would it be such high quality?

It took me ages to see, I saw the penis, then was like... wtf ?? WOW

RE: Mind Control by toddy on 08-22-2005 at 03:59 PM

that pic has been on loads of shows, the guy who did it saisomething liek he only did it for a lugh and never expected anyone ever to see/find it :p

RE: Mind Control by guanako on 08-22-2005 at 04:07 PM

wow it took me like 5min to figured it out :P i c it now

RE: Mind Control by kipper2258 on 08-22-2005 at 05:11 PM

lol - when uve seen it it seems really obvious on the main pic

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-24-2005 at 02:33 PM

i emailed someone the other day tryna get the damn video clip of the coca cola movie thing, no reply yet but ill keep trying, if anyone else can find it in the mean time, please post it.

RE: Mind Control by expert on 08-24-2005 at 02:43 PM

quote:
oh...

lol the poke rap lmao u got like what a bunch of teen goths lol that would explin:lol:
RE: Mind Control by Negro_Joe on 08-24-2005 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
It took me ages to see, I saw the penis, then was like... wtf ?? WOW

First time i know when your the second person to notice a willy, i thought u were the willy master lol :)
RE: Mind Control by dotNorma on 08-24-2005 at 11:44 PM

For that Coca Cola Flash Subliminal...

Who would notice that? O_o I didnt even see it when they selected and enlarged it. Some people must spend ALL day looking for ways to sue people.

And for that reverse music stuff, Its all crap. You couldnt tell what any of it was without the lyrics and even with them it sounds nothing like that. The only good one is the one by Eminem. I think that it MIGHT of been done on purpose because its to good and relevant to the song.

RE: Mind Control by MC Inferno on 08-29-2005 at 02:54 AM

u all i knopw i dont give a fuck about illegal acticioty, but to show some1 a sub-liminal message u have to warn em first. althoguh u dont have to tell em wat will acctually do ;) and yes, it can be dun a jpg

im a MASSIVE derren brown fan btw... massive....

and btw, the coca cola thing is shit, sorry.... but it is :P

RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-29-2005 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
and btw, the coca cola thing is shit, sorry.... but it is 

hey one said it was good, it was just being used as a point

RE: Mind Control by Negro_Joe on 08-29-2005 at 07:29 PM

I doubt it could be done wrell in an animation or anything!

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
but to show some1 a sub-liminal message u have to warn em first

I think the whole idea of subliminal messaging is that they dont know its there.
RE: Mind Control by Mentality on 08-29-2005 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
Eminem. I think that it MIGHT of been done

I'm sure they're saying "Here he is Man, It's Eminem, It's Eminem etc.....", Don't You Think?

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
I think the whole idea of subliminal messaging is that they dont know its there.
generally the idea yeah lol

if you tell people its there MC then its less liley to work, and would even be considered a subliminal message anymore, subliminal means pretty much hidden