Shoutbox

.net framework - when needed? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: .net framework - when needed? (/showthread.php?tid=49162)

.net framework - when needed? by p23185 on 08-19-2005 at 04:28 AM

I have one out of 5 PCs that refuses to run Win Messenger in audio/voice mode, and the only thing so far that I can find different (other than wireless link and the other 4 are wired) is that it does not have any of the .net framework updates in the update history.  But when I go to MS web, it seems like the .net framwork is something developers only should be concered with - is that so?  Is the .net framwork something to do with Messenger, because it seems like you sign in (and exhange data?) through the ".NET Messenger Service"   Perhaps I am connecting the two ".net xxx" when they really have nothing to do with each other?  I have replaced the wireless router and PCI wirless card with a different vendors and get the same result.  When I run a cable to the PC out of one of the four wired ports in router, it will work in audio/video mode - but there is no way to get a cable into that room on a permanent basis!

RE: .net framework - when needed? by ShawnZ on 08-19-2005 at 04:44 AM

the ".NET Framework" is required for programs that use it (e.g. anything compiled with C# or VB.NET)

it doesn't have anything to do with the name ".NET Passport" or ".NET Messenger service", but either way it could be very well possible that its the reason webcam isnt working.

RE: .net framework - when needed? by p23185 on 08-19-2005 at 05:08 AM

would the fact the webcam works and the audio works when connected through ethernet, rule out the need for a .net framework?  Is the .net framwork only required when I have an application that requires it?  Would a wireless link require it? Unlikely since the PC can properly connect through Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

RE: .net framework - when needed? by ShawnZ on 08-19-2005 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by p23185
would the fact the webcam works and the audio works when connected through ethernet, rule out the need for a .net framework?  Is the .net framwork only required when I have an application that requires it?  Would a wireless link require it? Unlikely since the PC can properly connect through Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

the internet doesn't need it, im guessing windows messenger needs it to actually use the webcam.
RE: .net framework - when needed? by segosa on 08-19-2005 at 09:45 AM

I doubt Windows Messenger needs it... but you never know.

RE: .net framework - when needed? by RaceProUK on 08-20-2005 at 10:20 AM

AFAIK, WIndows Messenger doesn't need it, but it can't hurt to install the framework and find out.