Shoutbox

using a digital camera as a webcam - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: using a digital camera as a webcam (/showthread.php?tid=49163)

using a digital camera as a webcam by ~INVASION~ on 08-19-2005 at 04:35 AM

does anybody know of a software that can turn an ordinary usb connected digital camera into a webcam that could be used over msn and such.

if so that wouldd be great :)

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by ShawnZ on 08-19-2005 at 04:49 AM

there should be a button that turns it in to Web mode or something. you might need to unplug it, start it up, put it into this mode and plug it back in.

(although last time i tried to use this mode on my camera it bsod'd my computer :()

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Underlord on 08-19-2005 at 04:54 AM

Usually the drivers support it as a webcam aslong as you plug it in :-/.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by albert on 08-19-2005 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
Usually the drivers support it as a webcam aslong as you plug it in :-/.

There is no "program" to make it work, as far as I know, it depends if it has webcam capicity or not.
RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by guanako on 08-19-2005 at 06:35 AM

my dcam can do it it can attach to a pc to tranfer pictures, to be a web cam and also to a printer :D
i go this one too bad its only 3.2 mega pixels only on bad thing when u use dcams for web cams are the batteries i have to buy new ones every time i use it as web cam cus it wastes it (Y
my cam   http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/digitalA330Overview.jsp

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by rav0 on 08-19-2005 at 08:50 AM

I think it needs to be capable of USB streaming. If it is not meant to be, you might be able to find hacks to make it work anyway.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Mentality on 08-19-2005 at 09:03 AM

Is this a digi cam where talking about?, i had no softwares and mine did it automatically, could even play videos through it over messenger.

RE: RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by guanako on 08-19-2005 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
could even play videos through it over messenger.

how? like from ur cam to msgr?
RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Mentality on 08-19-2005 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
how? like from ur cam to msgr?

exactly, someone requested webcam, i said yeah and set it to play, they where watching me on my holidays in greece. (well on the plane on the way to greece)

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by M73A on 08-19-2005 at 12:48 PM

hmm

i've got a camera that states on the specifications that it can be used as a webcam.... it has video capture capabilities but wen i goto video and audio setup it works fine... select the camera, the preview shows what the camera is seeing, as soon as i try to use it as a webcam or goto webcam settings it tells me there is no webcam plugged in (u no the greyed out box where the camera input normally is...) and the writing etc etc...

how could i get round it? the manual doesnt say what to do:@

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Mentality on 08-19-2005 at 02:29 PM

i used to have that problem all the time, then one day it just worked. what messenger are you using, it started working for me only when mess 7 came out. i dunno if it works now, i got a new comp with no DV port and i havnt been bother buying the firewire for it yet.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by M73A on 08-19-2005 at 02:35 PM

im using mess 7... i tried it the other day it still does it:@

owel... it wasnt ment to be used for a webcam.... bought it for actual video recording.. lol never mind :)

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by YottabyteWizard on 08-19-2005 at 03:12 PM

You need a digital camera that supports webcam mode, because they need to keep streaming the video through the USB cable, so... it depends in the camera. Im using one right now :D.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by gif83 on 08-19-2005 at 03:15 PM

if it works on the preview thing then you can still use it... what you might need is a third party software to read the stream from your camera and then tell msn messenger to read from the sofware as opposed to the camera... i'll look for some software for you and post again.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Mentality on 08-19-2005 at 03:23 PM

mine is a newish one, so maybe thats why mine works, mines a lil  sharp DV.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by YottabyteWizard on 08-19-2005 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
mine is a newish one, so maybe thats why mine works, mines a lil  sharp DV.
Those are the ones.

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by gif83 on 08-19-2005 at 04:14 PM

update of software stuff...
the only free one that i have found is trackercam which seems to work really well for most people.

http://www.trackercam.com/TCamWeb/download.htm

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by zaher1988 on 08-19-2005 at 06:46 PM

OK look to turn ur cam into webcam, 1st it's depends if the cam support that, such as a friends said above!, then you should make sure you have the driver installed, coz as u know if you only use your D. cam to upload photos to your pc, it doesn't need a driver, coz at this case it will be as a Storage Device.

So you should go to Options or Settings in your cam,and change the camera settings, from Storage Device into Web Cam or called Remote Cam.

So when u do this, and u have the driver, just plug the cam and turn it. and the pc will consider it as a Web Cam

Regards

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by jenny2010 on 08-06-2008 at 02:55 PM

i have a samsung digimax s500 with the usb cord and i have the newest windows live messanger aka msn and well it used to work and now it does not when i hook it up and the cam is on the lens goes back into its lil hole then it does not give me a webcam tool to get on webcam uggh it is so aggervating please help me

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Spunky on 08-06-2008 at 03:22 PM

It's a webcam issue if it turns itself off when connected

RE: using a digital camera as a webcam by Voldemort on 08-06-2008 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jenny2010
i have a samsung digimax s500 with the usb cord and i have the newest windows live messanger aka msn and well it used to work and now it does not when i hook it up and the cam is on the lens goes back into its lil hole then it does not give me a webcam tool to get on webcam uggh it is so aggervating please help me
some cameras do not have the ability to be webcams, such as cybershots.