Shoutbox

MSN HACK WARNING - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN HACK WARNING (/showthread.php?tid=49261)

MSN HACK WARNING by slick00000 on 08-21-2005 at 04:16 AM

:@:@:@WARNING:In the last few days there have been threts made to people via msn messanger. Apparently While people have been chatting a brief message is written "Im Mr. Hacker, you do as i say or we will wipe your hard drive" Even if you do as they say your hard drive WILL BE HACKED! So turn off your computer immidiatly!!! I will keep you posted if i hear of anymore about this! If you have witnessed this and know of anyways to stop it or to patch or prevent it please post it here

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by [MR] on 08-21-2005 at 04:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by slick00000
:@:@:@WARNING:In the last few days there have been threts made to people via msn messanger. Apparently While people have been chatting a brief message is written "Im Mr. Hacker, you do as i say or we will wipe your hard drive" Even if you do as they say your hard drive WILL BE HACKED! So turn off your computer immidiatly!!! I will keep you posted if i hear of anymore about this! If you have witnessed this and know of anyways to stop it or to patch or prevent it please post it here

thats pretty scary...but im sure firewalls and antivirus and antispyware programs with real time protection can prevent that from happening
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Val on 08-21-2005 at 04:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by slick00000

Sounds like they just got lots of ppl into one group and post a bunch of stuff unless there was somekind of program atached to the message
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by [MR] on 08-21-2005 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by val3006
there was somekind of program atached to the message
most likely
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by brian on 08-21-2005 at 04:23 AM

Erm, if you didn't click, and you didn't accept, your safe. :-\

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by RebelSean on 08-21-2005 at 04:34 AM

I haven't heard anything about this, nor have I heard it getting done to anyone. Do you know if someone is SAYING this or there is a VIRUS spreading around that IMs your contacts with a message like that?

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by dotNorma on 08-21-2005 at 06:04 AM

Its obviosuly a virus that just says it, Its not somebody writing.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Fergy on 08-21-2005 at 06:51 AM

just make your power cord nice and accessible so you can yank it out

I've had something like this happen to me before, a hacker/virus got into my computer, reset it and got it to tasks (probably format my hard drive) when it started up again. When i noticed the MS-Dos text all over the screen, i went to the power board and turned off the power to the system. When i turned it back on, it loaded windows fine.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by user27089 on 08-21-2005 at 06:52 AM

I haven't heard about anything like this, maybe it is just a chain letter thing, or maybe they're even just trying to scare you... They won't be able to do anything to your computer, unless you accept something, or unless they get your IP somehow... They could get your IP by simply starting a webcam conversation with them... So don't do anything like this.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Anubis on 08-21-2005 at 07:05 AM

It is possible that this message is only triggered if your computer is infected with a trojan. It is programed to relay an IM adddress (as well as perhaps more infomation) back to a server and in responce the server sends an automated message back to the MSN client outlaying a threat. If you respond its likely the serevr will give you more infomation.
Or it could just be an empty threat sent by an automated serevr that crawls for MSN addresses from user to user.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by segosa on 08-21-2005 at 07:25 AM

Daniel says:
Im Mr. Hacker, you do as i say or we will wipe your hard drive
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
segosa says:
LMAO
segosa says:
IM SCARED!1
Daniel says:
!@!

You guys are paranoid over nothing. One message CANNOT enable someone to hack you unless you are ALREADY vulnerable to some sort of exploit. You don't need your power cable next to you, jeez.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by ShawnZ on 08-21-2005 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fergy
I've had something like this happen to me before, a hacker/virus got into my computer, reset it and got it to tasks (probably format my hard drive) when it started up again. When i noticed the MS-Dos text all over the screen, i went to the power board and turned off the power to the system. When i turned it back on, it loaded windows fine.

'MS Dos Text'

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by ~INVASION~ on 08-21-2005 at 07:37 AM

|-), he/she wont get past the triple defense :P

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by DJeX on 08-21-2005 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by brian

Heh not really, if you reply to his message he can use a Packet sniffer to get your IP, and if you have no firewall or protection of some sort he can get in.
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by ShawnZ on 08-21-2005 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
quote:

Heh not really, if you reply to his message he can use a Packet sniffer to get your IP, and if you have no firewall or protection of some sort he can get in.

its called IT GOES TRHOUGH THE SERVER

besides, unless you use sp0 or something you're fine.

8-)
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by segosa on 08-21-2005 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
quote:

You know, wouldn't it be great if people who didn't know what they were talking about would just shut up? I'm sorry but if I don't know much about a certain subject I don't go ranting about it as if I know everything.

For starters, everything is routed THROUGH the messenger servers UNLESS you have "allow msn messenger to connect directly to your contacts" (though don't know if this option is there anymore) so NO a packet sniffer WILL NOT WORK.

"if you have no firewall or protection of some sort he can get in"

Bullshit. That sentence shows you have no idea how it all works. You can *ONLY* be hacked if you have a vulnerable piece of software either running on your computer or listening for incoming connections! (by running software I mean like Internet Explorer, which would actually have to be used to visit a website that exploited it!)

And yes vulnerable software is a lot of times components of Windows.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Dane on 08-21-2005 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawn

besides, unless you use sp0 or something you're fine.

Hrm...SP0 is newbie.  Anyway, this sounds like some pathetic chain letter that a newbie thought was a real threat.
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Anubis on 08-21-2005 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa

For starters, everything is routed THROUGH the messenger servers UNLESS you have "allow msn messenger to connect directly to your contacts" (though don't know if this option is there anymore)
No this option isn't there any more for two reasons;
1) MS didn't want a ton of bandwidth being sent through their servers
2) Ip2Ip transfers are generally quicker, so it was switched to this.

This is enabled by default and there is no option to change it. If you go to the Main Messenger Window > Tools > Options > Connection, you can see if you are connected directly to the .NET Messenger Service. If you are this means you have either a direct connection to the internet, or one that is through a uPnP router\NAT. If it is direct all connections made (like file transfers, audio and video chat) are sent directly to your contact, and this means if any of these connections are made they can get your IP address.

quote:

Bullshit.
It is true that most of the time having a decent firewall up and running will not help if you're already infected, but it really depends on a hackers method of exploiting users. For example some firewalls are designed to block remote attempts to connect to trojans using advanced detection, even if you have allowed the infected program to use the internet.
Also in the case of vulnerable windows programs, firewalls can help block attempts to remotely connect to software by closing and hiding ports and blocking attempts to connect that are obviously malicious.
Firewalls can help, but if the method of exploiting your computer was advanced enough and taken care of, then it won't be of much use.

Edit: Why don't you just find the address out of the person who sent it and report it to MSN support?
RE: RE: MSN HACK WARNING by segosa on 08-21-2005 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:

For starters, everything is routed THROUGH the messenger servers UNLESS you have "allow msn messenger to connect directly to your contacts" (though don't know if this option is there anymore)
No this option isn't there any more for two reasons;
1) MS didn't want a ton of bandwidth being sent through their servers
2) Ip2Ip transfers are generally quicker, so it was switched to this.

This is enabled by default and there is no option to change it. If you go to the Main Messenger Window > Tools > Options > Connection, you can see if you are connected directly to the .NET Messenger Service. If you are this means you have either a direct connection to the internet, or one that is through a uPnP router\NAT. If it is direct all connections made (like file transfers, audio and video chat) are sent directly to your contact, and this means if any of these connections are made they can get your IP address.

quote:

Bullshit.
It is true that most of the time having a decent firewall up and running will not help if you're already infected, but it really depends on a hackers method of exploiting users. For example some firewalls are designed to block remote attempts to connect to trojans using advanced detection, even if you have allowed the infected program to use the internet.
Also in the case of vulnerable windows programs, firewalls can help block attempts to remotely connect to software by closing and hiding ports and blocking attempts to connect that are obviously malicious.
Firewalls can help, but if the method of exploiting your computer was advanced enough and taken care of, then it won't be of much use.

Edit: Why don't you just find the address out of the person who sent it and report it to MSN support?

I believe you've misunderstood parts of my post..

For the first, I've never seen MSN Messenger directly connect me to a contact for a simple conversation (and to test this I opened a conversation with someone who I knew I could connect directly to and had the latest version of messenger..). Webchat, Audio, transfers, etc, have always been a direct connection if possible, but DJeX was referring to a simple conversation giving out your IP address which isn't true.

For the second, I didn't mean that a firewall doesn't help.. read what he said again

He's saying that if you don't have a firewall or antivirus he's guaranteed to be able to get in.
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Killers2 on 08-24-2005 at 11:23 PM

if that happend to me id get all firewalls and everything up and then say BRING IT ON:@

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by Curtis on 08-24-2005 at 11:41 PM

Firewalls don't matter, theres always an open port, if there wasn't you couldn't connect to anything.

Edit: No I am not telling anyone which one it is.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by LittleK on 09-01-2005 at 01:28 AM

Speaking about hacking, i today was hacked, but i know for an absolute 100% fact no body could hack me, my password is set to high, my secret question is unguessable as is my password, and i told no one.

Now ill probably get replys "well you must have told someone/someone was looking over your shoulder/it couldnt of been very safe" But i assure you, im very careful.

Im just wondering, is there actually any genuine msn hackers these days? who actually use programs to hack? I always thought it was never possible but, i guess im wrong. If there isnt, im stumped.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by DJeX on 09-01-2005 at 01:54 AM

Yea it's possible to hack msn accounts by useing exploits. But most expliots have been fixed.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by CookieRevised on 09-01-2005 at 04:29 AM

no offense but, 99% of people who say they've been hacked either made a mistake of their own (did something by accident. eg: deleting an important Windows file, deleted other stuff), entered their password wrong (so they thought someone changed it), experienced behaviour which they don't know about (and thus call it "I'm hacked", while all it was was a fluke or bug in Windows or what not)...

0,99% of people actually downloaded and executed a malicious file which made them vulnerable to outsiders. But because this requires the outsider to be very l33t, this is also rare (considering all the billions who never get "hacked")

0,01% of people are really getting hack. But I can assure you that this is extremely rare!

(note: figures are not to be taken literally, they are just here to proof the point)

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by LittleK on 09-01-2005 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

no offense but, 99% of people who say they've been hacked either made a mistake of their own (did something by accident. eg: deleting an important Windows file, deleted other stuff), entered their password wrong (so they thought someone changed it), experienced behaviour which they don't know about (and thus call it "I'm hacked", while all it was was a fluke or bug in Windows or what not)...

0,99% of people actually downloaded and executed a malicious file which made them vulnerable to outsiders. But because this requires the outsider to be very l33t, this is also rare (considering all the billions who never get "hacked")

0,01% of people are really getting hack. But I can assure you that this is extremely rare!

(note: figures are not to be taken literally, they are just here to proof the point)

I dont mess around with my messenger files, nore do i download malicious files. Im very safe with what i do, believe me. Yeah you may be right, maybe i did mess around, but how it explains that "You have signed into msn messenger at another location" pops up, whilst not having WM or any other version of messenger running, and bare in mind it did this twice , to me, doesnt seem like a faulty installation :P
RE: RE: MSN HACK WARNING by FrozenDaggers on 09-01-2005 at 12:57 PM

quote:

I've had all three of those happen to me lmao 8-)
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by zaher1988 on 09-01-2005 at 01:08 PM

i think it;s just like that program find who blocked u , that start to send with each conversation a message saying : did u know that you can find who blocked you on http://www.``.com "

so it's just a message, and not a real virus that will delete your PC :D and it's not from your pc, but your contact's one :)

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by CookieRevised on 09-05-2005 at 03:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK

I dont mess around with my messenger files, nore do i download malicious files. Im very safe with what i do, believe me. Yeah you may be right, maybe i did mess around, but how it explains that "You have signed into msn messenger at another location" pops up, whilst not having WM or any other version of messenger running, and bare in mind it did this twice , to me, doesnt seem like a faulty installation :P
This can be caused because of many reasons. eg: you used a contactlist cleaner, a block checker, whatever (all these kind of programs need to log in to your account in order to do their stuff), Windows Messenger is running in the background because it was started up by eg Outlook, etc...

I'm not saying you are not hacked and it is totally impossible though. But in practice this is useually not the case and it is much more frequent that some other program (eg: listcleaner, windows messenger) is the cause.

If you have XP, press ctrl-alt-del and list all your processes sorted on the username column (click on the column header). Easiest way is to make a screenshot (or couple of screenshots so they are all visible)...

oh, and change your password and secret question, just in case...
RE: RE: MSN HACK WARNING by segosa on 09-05-2005 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Curtis
Firewalls don't matter, theres always an open port, if there wasn't you couldn't connect to anything.

Edit: No I am not telling anyone which one it is.

Hahahhaa.. ports 1024-65536 are used for outgoing connections and they're never "open", listening on a port is not the same as using it.

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK

Im just wondering, is there actually any genuine msn hackers these days? who actually use programs to hack? I always thought it was never possible but, i guess im wrong. If there isnt, im stumped.

I highly doubt your actual MSN Messenger passport was hacked. That doesn't mean someone didn't infect your PC with a keylogger, or guessed your secret question and changed your password, or any of the other things CookieRevised mentioned.:P
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by LittleK on 09-05-2005 at 05:40 PM

quote:
f you have XP, press ctrl-alt-del and list all your processes sorted on the username column (click on the column header). Easiest way is to make a screenshot (or couple of screenshots so they are all visible)...

[Image: 24712371816.jpg]

There CookieRevised.
RE: MSN HACK WARNING by segosa on 09-05-2005 at 06:12 PM

As I told her on IRC, she's clean.

RE: MSN HACK WARNING by LittleK on 09-05-2005 at 06:17 PM

Here you go segosa, My HijackThis:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 19:14:08, on 05/09/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\MessengerDiscovery\msgdiscoveryx.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\My PC\My Documents\My Downloads\hijackthis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AnyDVD] C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerDiscovery] C:\Program Files\MessengerDiscovery\msgdiscoveryx.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger Addon - {FB5F1911-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - http://messenger.ipfox.com (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Messenger Addon - {FB5F1911-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - http://messenger.ipfox.com (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://spaces.msn.com//PhotoUpload/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {9AA73F41-EC64-489E-9A73-9CD52E528BC4} (ZoneAxRcMgr Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/ZAxRcMgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/inst...e/autocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/SolitaireShowdown.cab31267.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: MsgPlusLoader.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LicCtrl Service (LicCtrlService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\runservice.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: Access Remote PC Service (RpcSvr) - www.access-remote-pc.com - C:\Program Files\Access Remote PC\rpcsetup.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe